PDA

View Full Version : Stainless windshield option

Sagbay32
10-09-2005, 10:27 AM
When did they offer the stainless windshield option on the 22 and the 18?

I know they discontinued the S.S. option on the 22, is it still available on the 18? If not when did it stop?

Did the same company make the S.S. for the 22 and the 18 and can you aquire either one?

This one has been bothering me for a while :banghead:

Mike

p.s. I like both better w/ windshiel :tongue: ds

Speed-Racer
10-10-2005, 09:13 PM
The company that made the SS windshield for the 22 stop making it or something happened to the company...It is no longer available at all.I think a different compnay made the ones for the 18's??...Now the 16's and 18's are aluminum, while the 22's are soild painted aluminum or solid no framed plexiglass.

Barry Phillips
10-11-2005, 10:01 AM
The SS windshield frames used on the 22 up to 02 was made in Italy. I am not sure if the artesian retired or died but the source dried up and Donzi claimed it was not economically viable to use a manufacture in the US. Both Cobalt and Chris Craft offer SS frames as options on some their lines. The aluminum frames used on the 16 and 18 are made by Taylor Made windshield division in Gloversville NY. I have not seen a 22 with a coated frame although a Donzi rep. told me that it was available at the NYC Boat Show. Taylor also manufactures the SS windshields for Chris Craft.

Sagbay32
10-11-2005, 07:06 PM
Was there a start date for the option on the 18 and the 22 (what years available)? I am looking for specifics here.

thanks
Mike

Barry Phillips
10-11-2005, 07:38 PM
Mike I'm not sure, I've seen 22s with SS frames back to 87-88, earlier 22s are usably equipped with Plexiglas units which pieced together at the front with a radius on the corners, not fastened together at the corners like the new ones. On the 18s windshields were usually an option. The aluminum style now used is fairly recent, my 1998 18 had a windshield. I’ve seen OMC Donzis 18s with SS frames and earlier 18s with frameless rap around styles. I think windshields on the Sweet 16 are even a latter development, maybe mid 90s. There were also changes in SS framed units over the years, I’ve seen 22 frames follow the glass line and not have the grab handle like attachment at the back seat. I’ve seen late 80s 22s with a gentle curve in top of the side glass instead of the straight slop to the back used in my 22, which is 2002 the last year the SS frames were offered.

Sagbay32
10-11-2005, 07:50 PM
Thank you for the comments.

I have always liked the S.S. windshields. I am suprised that it is not available from a different source. Anyone ever ask Taylor made if they would make the SS for a Donzi?

Mike

gold-n-rod
10-11-2005, 09:08 PM
I think windshields on the Sweet 16 are even a latter development, maybe mid 90s.

This comment begs the question..... other than the plexi windshields found on the Ski Sporters of the 60's, when EXACTLY did the windshield option start being offered on the Classic 16?

Who has the earliest?

My '03 has one, but they were offered prior to then........... right?

Sagbay32
10-12-2005, 10:01 AM
I know that Tony's is old....not sure when it was put on tho.

Mike

dclassic
10-12-2005, 07:47 PM
I also was curious about the stainless windshields on the 18 and 22's. I think it was Robert Nelems (Nelems Marine, AL) who informed me that the gent who was fabricating the stainless ones for Donzi passed away. Donzi could not find an adequate replacement so we get what is currently available instead. I am not sure what years they were available, I have seen them on late 80's up to 2002 which was the last year of the stainless on the 22's from what I have seen. On the 18's I have seen them on the '87 LE boats through a 1996 model. Hope this helps.

Sagbay32
10-12-2005, 07:51 PM
Good point about the '87 LE 18's. That seems about right. I don't think I have ever seen an older one with stainless.

Mike