PDA

View Full Version : Well I'll be damned, eBay makes good on ripoff

gold-n-rod
10-07-2005, 03:01 PM
I got ripped off in July by a seller who listed a Turbo prop in "excellent" condition. I bid the auction to $152.50 and was the winning bid. Upon receipt of the item, it turned out to be a standard Merc stainless prop that needed repairs. The ears were nicked and scraped and the hub was shot. The seller refused to take the prop back or provide a refund.

I filed a claim with eBay and today, I was notified that I would receive $127.50 (my original payment, not including shipping, minus a $25 fee).

There was a lot to it (I had to have the prop appraised and provide a lot of documentation, plus, there was a lot of waiting (since July 25th). But still, it renews my faith in eBay. I've been so disillusioned that I haven't bought from eBay since.

There are limits to the protection program, so it's not for everyone who gets ripped off, but it worked for me.

:rlol:

Trueser
10-07-2005, 03:28 PM
I have been burned a few times and I always got a full refund. The safe way is to always pay with a credit card. Then you have the ability to stop your cc payment.

boldts
10-07-2005, 05:15 PM
Congrats Randy! Glad it worked out better than not receiving any of your money back. Any chance the guy lives close enough to take the prop to his home and throw it through his front window on a drive by? People like that are disappointing and should be shipped out of America or down to Florida to deal with Pythons and Alligators. :)

blueliner
10-07-2005, 05:30 PM
ditto, always use paypal and pay w/ creditcard, never do an instant transfer. that is like an atm withdrawal and very tough to hold seller accountable. i just had to file a complaint w/ paypal 2 days ago for a bogus seller in TN who i was buying a video camera from. she sold her"one only" video camera to me and another e-bayer. this was not kosher, and sent seller several e-mails w/ no response. i had already paid her, but w/ a cc and paypal filed a dispute. within 20 minutes i had my refund from the seller. funny how her e-mail didn't work for 3 days and then soon as a dispute was filed, her e-mail was up and running. ebay is great for the 95% of the people who are honest out there. i guess it is just like real life, in a way. oh well, will have to wait for a legitimate camera. would like to get some footage of the boat before the weather changes until spring.
I have been burned a few times and I always got a full refund. The safe way is to always pay with a credit card. Then you have the ability to stop your cc payment.

gold-n-rod
10-07-2005, 09:51 PM
Congrats Randy! Glad it worked out better than not receiving any of your money back. Any chance the guy lives close enough to take the prop to his home and throw it through his front window on a drive by? People like that are disappointing and should be shipped out of America or down to Florida to deal with Pythons and Alligators. :)

As tempting as that sounds, Scott, I do plan to take the high road. Not that I'm not tempted, see below. I do have the seller's address and phone number.

Today, I got this email from the seller: "WELL I SEE YOU CONED E-BAY IN TO PAYING YOUR DUMB ASS $152.00 YOU SHOULD BE ASHAMED , ASS WIPES LIKE YOU MAKE ME SICK,I HOPE YOUR ****ING BOAT SINKS WITH YOU ON IT !!!!!!!! J.D."

Classy, eh?

His user name is no longer registered at eBay. I trust they kicked him out. I'm watching to see if he appears under a new user name. If so, I'll turn him in.