PDA

View Full Version : Selling Oregon Boat to a Canadian, Border Questions?

Dregsz
10-07-2005, 12:49 AM
Hi all
I'm selling my 18' boat registered in Oregon to a guy taking it across the border into Canada. I have title in hand for the boat, but Oregon doesn't require titles or registration for small trailers, (3000# boat trailer combo + fudge factor, no weighing required).

The trailer has a serial number on it and that's it, no title or registration.
Can I sell the trailer on a bill of sale only and will he be able to get that across the border?, (I understand a seperate bill of sale for boat and trailer). What are the taxes and percentages he will have to pay to cross into Vancouver?

(Edit) I just dug around and found the trailer title from when I bought the boat/trailer in CA I never did anything with it. It is signed off by the previous owner who released interest, but wasn't signed "over" in so much as no name was written onto the ttle when I bought it. He signed off, but I never put my name on it. Dated July 2005, I suppose that is better then no documentation at all.

Any suggestions for an insurance agent around Vancouver who can bind a policy for the guy so he can drive it home.
The transaction is tomorrow, Sat.

Thanks
Evan

Lenny
10-07-2005, 12:55 AM
NO, give him a bill of sale for the boat, make the trailer for $1.00, then that PERSON has to put it on a trailer of another sort. Without a "recall" letter it is a nightmare. The boat is EASY, the "motor vehicle" (trailer) is the problem. If the thing has no id or reg, and you can NOT get a recall letter for it, then do what I did,... and cut it up at the Border...

Not a big deal...

Call me if you have problems, Lenny # 250-474-4005

Dregsz
10-07-2005, 01:19 AM
I don't know if you saw the post after I edited it.

I have the CA title it was sold to me with on 7/15/2005, that he can put his name on

What is a recall letter and would it be necessary with the CA title, matched plate, (I still have it) and serial number on the trailer?

Thanks Lenny, I was hoping you would reply to this post.

Evan

NO, give him a bill of sale for the boat, make the trailer for $1.00, then that PERSON has to put it on a trailer of another sort. Without a "recall" letter it is a nightmare. The boat is EASY, the "motor vehicle" (trailer) is a nightmare. If the thing has no id or reg, and you can NOT get a recall letter for it, then do what I did,... and cut it up at the Border...

Not a big deal...

Call me if you have problems, Lenny # 250-474-4005

Seriously...

JPR
10-07-2005, 01:28 AM
I used a customs broker called William L Rutherford to do my paperwork. GST 7%, PST 7%.That was all, that is life. I may be able to dig up the card of the guy that i dealt with. I do know one guy on the bertram website who brought a boat and trailer up from north carolina under his own steam who may have some experience. If the customs broker does not work, post on this thread and I'll get you his email

Lenny
10-07-2005, 01:46 AM
We'll look after your sale and your buyer.

...no problem...

Lenny

:)

blueliner
10-07-2005, 07:03 PM
i used my custom brokers, john at film logic custom brokers. it is the cleanest and hassle free. it really depends on how much your time is worth. i didn't have to go to the border or anything. rick,(the guy who delivered my boat) basically drove it right to my marina and then the custom broker sent me the bill afterwards. it was that simple. i would highly recommend the customs broker experience. it was worth the extra cash...
I used a customs broker called William L Rutherford to do my paperwork. GST 7%, PST 7%.That was all, that is life. I may be able to dig up the card of the guy that i dealt with. I do know one guy on the bertram website who brought a boat and trailer up from north carolina under his own steam who may have some experience. If the customs broker does not work, post on this thread and I'll get you his email

Lenny
10-07-2005, 07:15 PM
There should be another X18 in Vancouver sometime tomorrow. Looks like it is all a go now. The trailer (original '76) is classified as a "Collector" trailer and is therefor exempt from the recall letter scenario.

I seriously think we are getting close to actually having enough people here now with these things to have a small "club" :D

West Coast Donzi Owners ;)

Mac
10-07-2005, 07:53 PM
I just sold my Chris Craft to a guy from Canada, he sent a transporter down from Canada with a trailer and left with the boat, a bill of sale and the title. This would seem like the easiest way to go if possible, the buyer met the transporter at the border, everything went well. Piece of cake not need to pay any fees or involve any anyone else. Sell the trailer locally. With all the homeland security they are pretty tight on titles and 12 digit HINS, probably not an issue for you but with my '71 Chris Craft I had to have it inspected by the state and then issued a 12 digit HIN as it was only 10 digits in '71 and then I could get a title for it.

Dregsz
10-07-2005, 09:58 PM
Well...
It turns out that this is Thanksgivng weekend in Canada, some of you probably knew that.
My buyer claims to still be interested but his parents called and are coming to see them for the holiday,????
So the soonest he can do it is the 23rd.
Hopefully it will be gone before that. It will be on ebay in about 15 minutes
Thank You all for your concern and assistance.
Evan

Lenny
10-07-2005, 10:06 PM
Yes, it is our "Turkey" weekend. Monday is a stat holiday tho... hmmm ???

Dregsz
10-07-2005, 10:09 PM
Hmm... Indeed

Kirbyvv
10-10-2005, 07:37 PM
Evan:

Glade to hear you got her sold. Sweet looking X. I got my "water in the bilge" all straigtened out, leaking exhaust riser. Now we want to see the photos of this new Cigarette project!!!

Dregsz
10-10-2005, 08:35 PM
Sorry Kirby,
Around post #9 the Canadian buyer flaked out.
I appreciate all the help in this thread and Lenny's time/energy/ phonecall.
Sorry this one won't be adding to the ranks of the Vancouver X18 club yet.
Still trying

EricG
10-11-2005, 10:33 AM
Too bad about the deal flipping. I think it's really too bad that here is a really nice, fairly priced X , and it's LOCAL and no one is jumping on it. Every spring for the last 3 years, there has been a local searching out ready to buy every classic for sale, but then they just disappear as the year goes on.

Good luck, I'm sure someone will pick it up soon.

EG

Dregsz
10-26-2005, 07:31 PM
Hey Eric,

Thanks for your sentiments.
I even have it priced low enough where it could be delivered to the East Coast and still be priced lower for the whole package then comparable boats that are selling there.

I may keep it till spring, we'll see.

Evan