PDA

View Full Version : My First Donzi

SideshowRob
10-05-2005, 03:30 PM
Hello all,

This is my first post on the site, so bear with me.
I recently aquired a 1976 Donzi X- 18. I have known about the boat for several years, and for the past 5 have watched as it sat covered and unused in the owners driveway. Well fate brought us together, as my girlfriend and I purchased the boat owners house. I asked our real estate agent to ask about the boat, and possibly include it in the deal. It was not included, but we did get a deal on it! So after sitting for 3 years for sure, without running, in a matter of 10 minutes the 350 was singing again. I brought the alternator in to a friend and had it rebuilt, did a few other minor adjustments and she was ready to hit the water.
Here's where it got interesting, and scared the crap out of me if you must know. You see I have never driven a boat with Trim Tabs. I Reeally hope some of you out there are laughing because you've been there. So if anyone would like to give out pointers, I'm not to proud to listen.
Anyways, I will get to the point, I've been able to find out a little about the X-18s, but if anyone could give me some info on these boats, I would love to know anything you can share.

Thanks fer Listening!

Lenny
10-05-2005, 03:47 PM
Pics and hull number please :D

Look under the rub rail, on the hull, on the transom, rear starboard side. We need it for a database. DMR something something something ... X

Welcome aboard :)

Marlin275
10-05-2005, 04:17 PM
I've been able to find out a little about the X-18s, but if anyone could give me some info on these boats, I would love to know anything you can share.

Try a search on this site for X-18
376 listings on the subject
If you still have a question . . .

thriller
10-05-2005, 04:35 PM
Canada - 11 :canada:

USA - Hundreds:wink:

Welcome to the Site!

Cuda
10-05-2005, 05:09 PM
Don't feel bad, I skeered the chit out of myself the first time I used tabs. I've found it's best just to keep bumping them, than to hold the button down.

Welcome, and in case nobody mentioned it, we need pics! :)

DonziJon
10-05-2005, 06:05 PM
Hello all,

This is my first post on the site, so bear with me.
I recently aquired a 1976 Donzi X- 18. I have known about the boat for several years, and for the past 5 have watched as it sat covered and unused in the owners driveway. Well fate brought us together, as my girlfriend and I purchased the boat owners house. I asked our real estate agent to ask about the boat, and possibly include it in the deal. It was not included, but we did get a deal on it! So after sitting for 3 years for sure, without running, in a matter of 10 minutes the 350 was singing again. I brought the alternator in to a friend and had it rebuilt, did a few other minor adjustments and she was ready to hit the water.
Here's where it got interesting, and scared the crap out of me if you must know. You see I have never driven a boat with Trim Tabs. I Reeally hope some of you out there are laughing because you've been there. So if anyone would like to give out pointers, I'm not to proud to listen.
Anyways, I will get to the point, I've been able to find out a little about the X-18s, but if anyone could give me some info on these boats, I would love to know anything you can share.

Thanks fer Listening!

Funny you should mention your first ride with tabs. My first ride in a DONZI was in an 18C. (300hp Scorpion?) The "dealer" who was selling the boat just put the boat in the water and said "take it". I thought he would take my wife and I for a ride...and maybe he'd let me drive it after some instruction on how to drive high performance boats. He just said "take it out and ring this bell when you get back." So I did. I got the boat SO out of control fiddling with the tabs..having no idea where they were, I finally pulled the throttle and came off plane, shut the motor off and climbed back to see where the tabs were positioned.

Back at the camp I said to my wife: "That other boat we rode in today"....(it was a Bayliner,) "was a nice boat, don't you think?" She said yes. Then I said,.. but in a Bayliner.. "you don't have the feeling you are taking your life in your hands!?" We then decided: we NEEDED a DONZI. A year later we had a MINX and I added digital "Trimdicators" made by Bennett. Less than $200. ...and they fit in the dash panel nicely. That was 10 years ago.

Good luck with your new boat and welcome to the site.

Silver Bullet
10-05-2005, 06:18 PM
Welcome aboard and to the addiction!

Last Tango
10-05-2005, 08:00 PM
...Rob,
There, now. Don't you feel a WHOLE lot better? You made your first Donzi choice - a topnotch excellent pick, your wife got a house to play with, and you've made your first post and received a warm reception. Now that you are all snuggled in with the rest of us Donzi crazies, I welcome you and hope you enjoy the ride of your life... in your boat, and on this Website! You have 3,000 new best friends.

Rob M
10-05-2005, 08:34 PM
...Penage...Long...Ramsay...?

boxy
10-05-2005, 08:59 PM
I love Ramsay Lake.
We may have to have a Donzi/Ottawa River run in Mattawa yet..... :D

Ed Donnelly
10-05-2005, 09:09 PM
Ah Sudbury. 4 of my happiest years were there.(Laurentian)....Ed

Rob M
10-05-2005, 09:28 PM
...the long winter.

SideshowRob
10-05-2005, 11:22 PM
Thanks for the welcome Lenny

The hull # is DMR181310376-X. As for pics I'm hoping to get some good ones this weekend.

Pics and hull number please :D

Look under the rub rail, on the hull, on the transom, rear starboard side. We need it for a database. DMR something something something ... X

Welcome aboard :)

SideshowRob
10-05-2005, 11:56 PM
Thanks a lot everyone for the welcome. :canada: http://www.donzi.net/ubb/cool.gif

As for Sudbury, I've been here for all of my 31 years, minus 2 brief tours in Toronto. All I'll say is, I'm a lot happier here. As for those winters, I'm beginning to wonder, it was about 27 or 83ish degrees the past two days. As for boating we live right by Long Lake so those are the people I intend to reward most often with the sweet sounds of thru-hull exhaust.
The funny thing about the whole house and boat purchase was the fact that I think both of us were more excited about the boat. As I said it has sat unloved for many years so the engine looks, well, like an unloved engine, and it was actually my girlfriend who was most interested in pulling the engine to make it over and wake it up. (she has history with 350 Chev engines) However, now after our first brief ride (Alternator wiring issues) not only does she voe to wear the lifejacket, instead of just know where it is, she also thinks maybe the engine is fine the way it is. She'll get over that though.
Sorry for the ramble, pics will follow, I am planning to photograph all clean-up and work that gets done to the boat. Our baby's first album... http://www.donzi.net/ubb/tongue.gifarty:

Lenny
10-06-2005, 12:30 AM
Can't wait :) Thanx for the numbers :D

Rob M
10-06-2005, 10:06 AM
One of those soothed by the sounds of your thru-hull exhaust will be me during summer. I also garage store my boat on Long Lake for the winter. Watch those narrows at the end of the lake - they will tear your outdrive off!

Barry Phillips
10-06-2005, 11:11 AM
Welcome Rob the X18 is a great ride and very rare, treat her good. All Donzi Classics, are trim sensitive. I think the 22s more so than the 18s, since I have a lot of experience with both hulls. Due to the rounded keel at the stern these boats will roll like crazy, but they can turn on a dime also. You can drag your elbow in the water on the 18, less so on the 22; a maneuver which still freaks out my wife. I’ve notice in my 22 that there is direct link between drive angle and trim settings. My 22 will wallow like the bilge was full of water when tabs and the drive are fully down on plane. I find it best to use as little tab as possible, only to reduce bow rise while climbing out of the hole and keep the boat flying level depending on load and wind conditions, or just to maintain a good ride in choppy conditions. I use my drive angle a lot more. With a little seat time and a less is more approach your X18 will reward you, trust me. It’s not a bad thing to scare the crap out of yourself now and again either.

By the way when my wife were house shopping 13 years ago we looked at a center hall colonial that was an estate sale, which needed a lot of work for the asking price and I mean a lot of work. While my wife was eyeballing the built-in book cases around the fireplace, the great little sun room off the huge living room and the really cool red and black master bathroom again huge, which looked like it came stright out the “Shining” the Jack Nicholson version not the crummy TV remake. I was looking at the rotten window frames and the water stains on the walls. I did notice the 2 care garage contained a pristine pre-bumper MGB, a car on my A list behind the TR6, which I tried to include in the asking price of house, no go, no sale.

BP

joseph m. hahnl
10-06-2005, 04:43 PM
Now that your a member: a few things you should know. Never openly addmit to going to a coed baby shower.Never doubt master poodle and his wisdom.Mop is rarley wrong As also with G.carter"as long as he's not talking politics" Matty's a smart ass "better than being a dumb ass" I personally love to add fuel to any fire.Buzilla and Cuda will put you in your place. lets not forget Formula Jr. he is very anilitical and can break it down very nicley. and every one else well they are all great tech advisors. so the thing that you should remember most. is we all love Donzi's and we will help you in any way to keep it running prestine.
"Even if that means arguing amongst our selves yes and somtimes even name calling"
But all that is in good clean fun.:beer:

welcome to livin the F'N dream

joe

Kirbyvv
10-10-2005, 08:05 PM
I also just purchased an X-18 (1978) and had a similar experience the first time out. Just glad I was with one of my buddies and not my wife on that trip. I ended up standing in the water and pushing the bennett tab buttons to see which way was up. "bow down" implied that the top buttons would push the bow down, but no....
I'm still new to this and no pro, but I'll say one thing...I've been around boats my entire life, but never had a "ride" like this.

Tim Morris
10-11-2005, 01:16 PM
My nephew 'Wazzy' here on the board, lives in Sudbury.
He loves these boats.

Bought a house, nothin' in the garage - I looked.
Got married in the summer. No family contemplated.

So, the question is: What the heck does she want?

I think she owes him a Donzi by now.

(maybe this post post will push it over the top)

Wazzy
10-12-2005, 04:19 PM
Could this boat be brown in color? Maybe located... just past the bend as you enter Long Lake, almost opposite the school? If this is the boat I've been patienently watching this one for years now.
As you can guess I also live in Sudbury and as my Uncle already stated, love these boats. I must say it is neat to have somone so close who shares the same passion for these classics. Best of luck with her, hope she treats you right. One thing is for sure, you wont find a better site anywhere for this interest. The guys and experience hear are the best, I can't go a day without logging on to see whats new. Give me a shout sometime Rob I'am the only Wassmann in the book.

Rob M
10-12-2005, 04:42 PM
Could this boat be brown in color? Maybe located... just past the bend as you enter Long Lake, almost opposite the school? If this is the boat I've been patienently watching this one for years now.
As you can guess I also live in Sudbury and as my Uncle already stated, love these boats. I must say it is neat to have somone so close who shares the same passion for these classics. Best of luck with her, hope she treats you right. One thing is for sure, you wont find a better site anywhere for this interest. The guys and experience hear are the best, I can't go a day without logging on to see whats new. Give me a shout sometime Rob I'am the only Wassmann in the book.

Wazzy:

Let me know if you're interested in a 94 16' Classic - also stored over the winter on Long Lake.

Tim Morris
10-13-2005, 07:14 AM
Wazzy:

Let me know if you're interested in a 94 16' Classic - also stored over the winter on Long Lake.

....ohhhhh....the pressssure!