PDA

View Full Version : Not Steering Straight In Marina Area

Silver Bullet
10-04-2005, 06:24 PM
When I am idling in a no wake zone the boat will not stay on a straight line. Is it the prop or do I have a steering problem?

Also, hit sand bar :pimp: (Lake Conroe lake down 4 feet) this weekend doing about 25mph and took some paint off the bottom of the outdrive. What problems could arise from that.

The steering thing has been doing that since I bought in May 05'

Thanks for any advice!

Lenny
10-04-2005, 06:31 PM
They don't steer straight at an idle (No Wake Speed)

Best you can do is look $hitfaced when coming into a gas dock. The Deep Vee has a mind of its' own at slow speeds. Do a search.

Some could probably be due to steering/helmut slop but generally speaking, all the little ones do this. Mine does, it keeps you busy when idling.

Think of it as "fun" :D

Cuda
10-04-2005, 07:39 PM
Every single engine boat I've driven will "hunt" at idle speed. Even my 14 foot outboard Checkmate does it. The funny thing is, if you don't correct it with the wheel, the water pressure will make it turn back the other way. Try it sometime. :)

Budmann
10-04-2005, 07:49 PM
I agree!! My Mom's Z-25 is twice as bad as my 22 at hunting. You will get used to it!
I like the "act like your ****faced responce". Come to think of it, I don't remember coming back to a dock w/o being ****faced.:) :yes: :yes: :yes:

MOP
10-04-2005, 07:55 PM
If you have trim tabs put them in the full down position around the docks it will keep it very straight, my 16 was horrible until I put the tabs on.

Phil

gold-n-rod
10-04-2005, 08:04 PM
If you have trim tabs put them in the full down position around the docks it will keep it very straight, my 16 was horrible until I put the tabs on.

Phil

Be sure to remember to lift them before you try to get up on plane. :banghead:

Silver Bullet
10-04-2005, 09:15 PM
Thank you. I thought it was just me. Also will certainly try the let it correct it self thing.

Walt. H.
10-05-2005, 01:03 AM
Also trim your sterndrive all the way down, that too will help keep it alittle straighter..

martiniboat
10-05-2005, 05:10 PM

Phil

That's the ticket! I have an experimental set of Victorys with a 'keel' welded on the bottom. Working in conjunction with the upper support gussets it reduced hunting by at least 75% with zero reduction in top speed. Always experimenting...:smile:

Brian

Ed Donnelly
10-05-2005, 09:49 PM
Brian; After you perfect the Victory tabs, I'll let you try to do the same thing on my K-Planes. :hyper: :hyper: ...Ed

Carl C
10-06-2005, 07:05 AM
You can compensate by anticipating the boats reaction. You must move the wheel back and forth before the boat reacts. Aproach the dock slowly by bumping in and out of gear.

ALLAN BROWN
10-06-2005, 07:42 AM
Funny thing.... the same boat with an inboard setup does not hunt at all.

martiniboat
10-06-2005, 09:48 AM
Brian; After you perfect the Victory tabs, I'll let you try to do the same thing on my K-Planes. :hyper: :hyper: ...Ed

You got it bud!

B

MOP
10-06-2005, 11:01 AM
Funny thing.... the same boat with an inboard setup does not hunt at all.

Allan in tech school it was explained that the wash coming of the hull would hit the drive and kick the stern then the drive would try to straighten it out, it does make sense as it only happens to single installs. Volvo drives wag less due less lateral resistance then the larger profile Merc & late OMC's.

Walt try raising the drive about half way will stop the wag, I prefer the tabs down its easier on the U joints and trim system.

Compensating with the wheel greatly accelerates steering gear wear, if you do not have tabs try the drive half at up or find the center point between wags and leave the wheel alone, it will still wag side to side but stay on corse. I used have to this many times every day, our dock runs were very long and narrow, the work slips were at the very end near the shop.

Phil

daboys
10-06-2005, 11:20 AM
see if you have any play in the drive where the drive moves but the steering wheel doesn't. Too much slack in the drive indicates gimbal wear :frown: :shocking:

Pismo
10-06-2005, 07:17 PM
The less you do, much less, the straighter it will go.