PDA

View Full Version : 1996 22 Classic Swim Platform?

SenorAnaconda
10-04-2005, 05:54 PM
Has anyone installed a swim platform on a 22 Classic. If so, I would like to see some pictures and let me know if you are happy with the results? Thanks

Lenny
10-04-2005, 06:06 PM
There is one on the Minx for sale in Boattraderonline right now.

MOP
10-04-2005, 08:21 PM
That one is Ugly! Rob has one on his 22, that looks pretty decent and has a nice hide away swim ladder. It might even look better if the stripe was running through it. I tried to load a pic but it did not work. PM me your email AD and I will send it off.

Phil

blackhawk
10-04-2005, 09:24 PM
Have you checked out the Extreme Marine platforms. Very nice looking piece.

mattyboy
10-04-2005, 10:11 PM
this by far is the best I have ever seen
this is a one of a kind

p729lws
10-04-2005, 11:01 PM
This platform was on my 22 when I bought it. I haven't decided if its cool or homo yet but i does work well.

Dan

mattyboy
10-05-2005, 09:12 AM
This platform was on my 22 when I bought it. I haven't decided if its cool or homo yet but i does work well.

Dan

umm Dan I think to be considered a swim "platform" it has to cover both sides of the transom ;) :) that's a swim "step" :) ;)

Carl C
10-08-2005, 06:56 AM
IMO a swim platform looks wrong on a 22C. And you still have to crawl over the engine hatch. I'm not sure I'd want a heavy person doing that. I carry an over gunwale ladder that works well with the AE fairing. I put a towel under it to be safe. It tucks neatly under the bow to the starboard side and stays put.:cool:

ChromeGorilla
10-08-2005, 09:03 AM
I agree that it definately looks better without a platform. As far as the hatch, it can take it..... trust me ;) We just climb up the outdrive and over the hatch. No problems.

joseph m. hahnl
10-08-2005, 10:14 AM
I agree that it definately looks better without a platform. As far as the hatch, it can take it..... trust me ;) We just climb up the outdrive and over the hatch. No problems.

yes !!!! until you fall off onto the out drive:bonk:

Those wood platforms are just plain ugly< but a light weight metal one might no be such an eye sore. None is definatly more apealing.
I go up the out drive too and my son and i have both fallen onto the out drive.
worse for me i was in a shallow with the out drive up and I landed on the prop .I got a 1" dia scuff on the side of my calve 10 layers of skin deep.:yes:
"that was 2 months ago and it still hasn't fully healed"
Damn i am allways falling off:banghead:

joe

SenorAnaconda
10-08-2005, 12:57 PM
Thanks for all of the replys. I don't like teak platforms on these boats. I tried an Eddie Marine Billet Swim platform but couldn't modify the brackets enough to fit the transom. I found an aluminum platform at Action Welding that looks pretty good on a Red and White 38ZR. How do you think it looks. I would rather not put a platform on the boat either--but after my wife has a bottle of wine-- you know the rest.

http://www.actionweld.com/diveswimplatforms.html

Carl C
10-08-2005, 05:58 PM
I landed on the prop .I got a 1" dia scuff That could have been a whole lot worse, Joe.:smash:

Sagbay32
10-09-2005, 10:09 AM
I belive that Murphy (in IL) had one made by Beachcomber Fibergalss for his 22.

I think Murphy said it best:

"1) 99.9% of high quality boats have a swim platform. This is no accident.
2) My women (ages 10-39)love it.
3) I have yet to meet anyone who looks forward to balancing by their toenails on an outdrive to get into a 22 Classic. Oh, it can be done, but it ain't pretty. Not only that, it's just plain unsafe.
4)My women love it.
5)The boat is more fun for everyone involved by a factor of 10. No more claustrophobia.
6) My women love it.
7) The installation is flawless. Gel-coat matched, top quality hardware. Looks OEM in real life. When the stripe is added, only a handful of people in the world will know or care that it isn't original. The supports are designed to place the platform level when the boat is at rest in the water. Sorry... no water slide.
8) My women love it.
9) It does not interfere with the boat's performance in any way.
10) My women love it.
11) You now can choose to enjoy the water at our leisure instead of the old choices: a)in b)out.
12) Did I say my women love it?
13) We spend more time on the water. Guess where... on the swim platform instead of crowded in the cockpit. This is civilized progress.
14) My women love it... I love them... my goal is to have everyone love the Donzi... More than anything else this has made that possible.

Murph

Footnote... most people don't give a hoot about perfection... it's whether they had fun that matters at the end of the day."

I do like the tubular powdercoated ones as well.

I think if the end result is more time on the water...then maybe making the boat more family friendly isn't such a bad thing. I personally like unmolested boats the best, but I would add what I had to in order to keep Momma Happy :smile: .

Mike

Ed Donnelly
10-09-2005, 03:58 PM
Mike; What do your women think of it? ...........Ed

Sagbay32
10-09-2005, 04:11 PM
I have found that "My Women" prefer the tubular variety.

:odie:
Mike

Carl C
10-09-2005, 06:45 PM
A swim platform isn't right for a 22C becaause you still have to crawl over the boat. Even if it is strong enough mine is always waxed and slippery. And I still don't like people crawling on it. Use a drop over gunwale ladder. I spread mine apart a couple inches and it works good. There is another thread about a side ladder.:wavey:

TBroccoli
10-10-2005, 04:05 PM
Carl,

Does your ladder touch your yellow window?? If so, doesn't it hurt it? I couldn't get a ladder like yours to fit without the stainless windshield frame getting in the way. I like the set up Richard Reese has. I'm just afraid to drill into the boat to mount the brackets.

Barry Phillips
10-12-2005, 12:00 PM
Carl C, why didn't I think of that? I used the same style ladder on my 18, which worked well also, but it did not fit over the gunnels of my 22, it never downed on me to spread the hooks. How did you spread them? Mine was only a 3 step so I converted to a hanging style ladder, which can be attached to the stern cleat, not one of my best ideas. I considered the Extreme Marine platform on my 22 but the unit is expensive, a perment install, so I carefully consider something that is going to change my boat so much. I would never consider most of the small plastic or teak over the counter setups out there either. I have been thinking of a detachable dive ladder though. I don't even want the bracket on my transom though, what to do, what to do?

Carl C
10-12-2005, 03:30 PM
The ladder does not touch the air dam. I put a towel under it anyway. To spread it just clamp the short end in a padded vice and bend it apart a couple inches. Pull slowly so you don't kink it. I also removed the top step and glued rubber hose over the ends where it contacts the gunwale. I don't know if it will clear a windshield.:cool:

Barry Phillips
10-13-2005, 11:16 AM
Thanks Carl, I wish I’d seen your setup before I modified my ladder, it would have cleared the windshield frame. Another modification I think you made is that you extended the standoff pegs. When I used my ladder on the 18, I extended the pegs to compensate for roll when boarding the boat from one side. Great Idea.