PDA

View Full Version : Hanging from the eye's in Pensacola

p729lws
10-04-2005, 11:55 AM
Here are a few photos of my new lift for the 22. I did a fair amount of research before I decided to hang it from the eyes and I have considered the concerns with this type of lift. I do like admiring the lines of her without the cradle type support underneath. Flame away if you feel the need... :uzi:

I’m planning on adding a roof and some more decking later.

The name “Genuine Distress” was on the boat when I bought it last month and I haven’t had a chance to rename her yet or take off the graphics. I have no idea why someone would name a boat this? :confused: I'm thinking about using the name "Cherry Bomb" due to the loud exhaust note from the dry pipes and aggressive cam.

I need to find a solution for the homo docking lights also. I have not been able to find anything that looks better that will fit in the same hole.

Dan

gold-n-rod
10-04-2005, 12:23 PM
I need to find a solution for the homo docking lights also. I have not been able to find anything that looks better that will fit in the same hole.

Dan

:shocking: :shocking: :shocking: :shocking: :shocking:

In terms of your "engineering," it would appear that the 4"x8" beam that runs from bow to stern is secured to the front and back crossmembers with 2 lag screws. You might want to have an engineer or builder look over your work. It probably won't hurt your boat to drop 3 feet into the water, but a 24' 4x8 and all that hardware crashing down on the boat WILL leave a mark.

Randy

joel3078
10-04-2005, 12:39 PM
I'm not an Engineer either. Cool as hell idea for sure and ya gotta start someplace. Looks like if need be the rig would be pretty easy to beef up with gussets, bigger mounts, fasteners, etc. My first instinct is this however. Protect that sucker from swinging in the wind.

Rock-a-bye baby, in the tree top
When the wind blows, the cradle will rock
When the bough breaks, the cradle will fall
And down will come baby, cradle and all.

Lenny
10-04-2005, 12:54 PM
That looks like 2- 2x12's nailed together down the center. My question is, why is it there? Those two lags into the end grain is a reason for concern, they provide nothing and the 2 laminations to create a "beam" are only that ( a "beam" ) if they are nailed every 6" and three high with 3 1/4"'s for example. Why not move the bow chock forward 6 inches and contact it to the cross spreader? All that one down the middle is doing is adding weight to the mid span of the ends? The transom is suspended the other way...

If you strap the roofing and tie the ENDS in, instead of the center, you will get more support and elimate additional loading at mid-span. Then you can use a truss design roof and land it on the outside spreaders.

Just a thought ;)

Looks good.

(Jealous of people on "canals" ... Lenny ) ;)

p729lws
10-04-2005, 01:09 PM
:shocking: :shocking: :shocking: :shocking: :shocking:

In terms of your "engineering," it would appear that the 4"x8" beam that runs from bow to stern is secured to the front and back crossmembers with 2 lag screws. You might want to have an engineer or builder look over your work. It probably won't hurt your boat to drop 3 feet into the water, but a 24' 4x8 and all that hardware crashing down on the boat WILL leave a mark.

Randy

That's actually doubled up 2"x12"s. The lift manufacturer only requires one of the cross members there. It's installed per the manufacturers drawings, not someting my contractor "engineered" up in the back yard. looks like the cross member is there to keep the poles apart not held together.
Dan

p729lws
10-04-2005, 01:17 PM
I'm not an Engineer either. Cool as hell idea for sure and ya gotta start someplace. Looks like if need be the rig would be pretty easy to beef up with gussets, bigger mounts, fasteners, etc. My first instinct is this however. Protect that sucker from swinging in the wind.

Rock-a-bye baby, in the tree top
When the wind blows, the cradle will rock
When the bough breaks, the cradle will fall
And down will come baby, cradle and all.

The roof will tie the structure together some more once it goes on but there is not any movement in any of the members now as the boat comes up out of the water now. Most of the lift will be under water during a Ivan type storm so the Donzi will be in the wharehouse in town. I'm keeping an eye on it to see how much it moves around in normal wind to see if I need to tie the eyes off to the main poles.
Dan

gold-n-rod
10-04-2005, 01:17 PM
That's actually doubled up 2"x12"s. The lift manufacturer only requires one of the cross members there. It's installed per the manufacturers drawings, not someting my contractor "engineered" up in the back yard. looks like the cross member is there to keep the poles apart not held together.
Dan

If that's the case, you shouldn't have the bow eye hanging from the middle "crossmember," especially if it's lag screwed into the ends. As Lenny said, move it to the front crossmember.

Second, it would appear that your entire boat is being held aloft by 8 bolts (two at each piling). You may be following the lift manufacturer's drawings, but the superstructure is your responsibility. To my eye, it doesn't look adequate. That's what engineers are for. Call one now, or your insurance agent later.

Just my 2 cents.

p729lws
10-04-2005, 01:39 PM
That looks like 2- 2x12's nailed together down the center. My question is, why is it there? Those two lags into the end grain is a reason for concern, they provide nothing and the 2 laminations to create a "beam" are only that ( a "beam" ) if they are nailed every 6" and three high with 3 1/4"'s for example. Why not move the bow chock forward 6 inches and contact it to the cross spreader? All that one down the middle is doing is adding weight to the mid span of the ends? The transom is suspended the other way...

If you strap the roofing and tie the ENDS in, instead of the center, you will get more support and elimate additional loading at mid-span. Then you can use a truss design roof and land it on the outside spreaders.

Just a thought ;)

Looks good.

(Jealous of people on "canals" ... Lenny ) ;)

The pulley for the bow cable is through bolted to the 2x12's that go across the front poles. That's the bolt heads that you see in the photo and not lags. The way the bracket is welded for the pulley it does sit back about 6". It looks like the center member only keeps the front poles from pulling toward the rear poles due to the load from the cable on the bow eye.

Dan

(Thanks Lenny. Living on the canal is fun until the canal gets in the house and then you get to live in a camper in your driveway for 6 months...)

DonziJon
10-04-2005, 01:47 PM
Dan

I also believe the "fore and aft" beam over the boat centerline IS there to keep the two "H" frames Apart. (assuming I've interpretted the pictures correctly) The cable running foreward to the bow hoist tackle block would tend to draw the "H" frames together if the centerline beam(s) were not there. I would agree however, that the centerline beam(s) fastenings should be backed up at the ends with a couple of Inch and half or 2" galvanized "angle irons" with through bolts just to be safe.

RedDog
10-04-2005, 01:59 PM
The cross members seem too light weight - I would want them doubled or 1 on each side of the pilings. The lag bolt connect into the center beam won't last. I would want the center beam sitting on top of the crossbeams. Also, for a boat as long as / heavy as a 22 C I would want 2 addtional pilings - 1 in the center of each side with another cross beam.

p729lws
10-04-2005, 02:52 PM
The cross members seem too light weight - I would want them doubled or 1 on each side of the pilings. The lag bolt connect into the center beam won't last. I would want the center beam sitting on top of the crossbeams. Also, for a boat as long as / heavy as a 22 C I would want 2 addtional pilings - 1 in the center of each side with another cross beam.

The cross members bolted to the poles ARE doubled up 2x12's. The pulley for the bow cable is not attached to the center member. The center member has zero downward load on it other than its own weight. It's in compression. It would stay there if it were not attached to anything.

Any guesses on why someone would name a boat "Genuine Distress"? :confused:
Dan

RedDog
10-04-2005, 03:24 PM
...Any guesses on why someone would name a boat "Genuine Distress"? :confused:
Dan
No, but mine is named Genuine Trouble - for a good reason. And I know of another named Genuine Risk

TBroccoli
10-04-2005, 04:06 PM
Did you buy the boat from a guy in Delaware? I believe your boat was for sale at Jackson Marina in North East, MD under the name of Top Gun. The guy who bought it from Jackson lived in Delaware. He got it painted to cover the Top Gun name. I believe he named it genuine distress because of the initial problems he had with it when he first bought it. I know he had problems with his fuel flow. Once he figured that out he hit a log and ripped the out drive off. Thats the last I heard from him. Good luck with the boat. It seems to be full of power.

p729lws
10-04-2005, 04:12 PM
No, but mine is named Genuine Trouble - for a good reason. And I know of another named Genuine Risk

I thought about keeping the "Genuine" part but couldn't think of anything to go with it that isn't being used. I didn't figure "Genuine Draft" would be too popular with the marine patrol and I'm not a Miller fan anyways :bonk: Genuine Trouble is a good one.

The graphics are too small for the boat anyways so I figure I'll start over.

Isn't there a ceremony you're supposed to do when renaming a boat to keep the evil spirits (tow rope demons) away? I'm not superstitious but the wife does not want to take any chances. Where's Toona when you need her? She'd probably know. :bawling:

Dan

p729lws
10-04-2005, 04:19 PM
Did you buy the boat from a guy in Delaware? I believe your boat was for sale at Jackson Marina in North East, MD under the name of Top Gun. The guy who bought it from Jackson lived in Delaware. He got it painted to cover the Top Gun name. I believe he named it genuine distress because of the initial problems he had with it when he first bought it. I know he had problems with his fuel flow. Once he figured that out he hit a log and ripped the out drive off. Thats the last I heard from him. Good luck with the boat. It seems to be full of power.

You may be right. I have a stack receipts going back aways and should be able to see if it was in MD at some point. I did buy it in Toms River Delaware from a dealer there. It does have red Imron over the Gel and Arizona Speed and Marine fuel injection. I'll check tonight.

Dan

Barry Eller
10-04-2005, 04:33 PM
You may be right. I have a stack receipts going back aways and should be able to see if it was in MD at some point. I did buy it in Toms River Delaware from a dealer there. It does have red Imron over the Gel and Arizona Speed and Marine fuel injection. I'll check tonight.

Dan
Hey Dan, I got your E_Mail. Had to come overhere to see all the hubbub!

Hey guys, Dan is an engineer, has papers and degree to prove it. By the way, this is my first post. Hope to first start and breakin the new 502 this weekend.

RedDog
10-04-2005, 05:43 PM
...Genuine Trouble is a good one...
Trouble as in in the doghouse with the "boss" when I first brought it home... I got the Donzi; she got the new kitchen...

No more trouble...

p729lws
10-04-2005, 09:19 PM
Trouble as in in the doghouse with the "boss" when I first brought it home... I got the Donzi; she got the new kitchen...

No more trouble...

Been there. Bought the first Donzi on Ebay and told Laura about it over cocktails on the deck. The flooring guy had just put in 1400 square feet of Bamboo flooring (thanks to Ivan) that she had wanted so everyone's happy. I brought the 18 home with her name on the transom which didn't hurt either.

I do firearms and sportscars the same way. Hey Hun, check out the new....

She still doesn't think the new 223 is actually a pistol http://www.bushmaster.com/shopping/Carbon15/az-c15p97s.asp

Dan

RedDog
10-04-2005, 09:46 PM
A 223 is no real pistol -
http://www.donzi.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=15262

p729lws
10-04-2005, 09:57 PM
Hey Dan, I got your E_Mail. Had to come overhere to see all the hubbub!

Hey guys, Dan is an engineer, has papers and degree to prove it. By the way, this is my first post. Hope to first start and breakin the new 502 this weekend.

Barry,
You giving away my secret identity in your first post?

We need to run your 22 with the new 502 before it gets too cold in a few months :biggrin:. apollo24's always in and it sounds like zimm17 has been churning up P'cola bay with his 22 on a regular basis. Hopefully we can get my 22 in the water without the lift collapsing. :outtahere
Dan

p729lws
10-04-2005, 10:46 PM
A 223 is no real pistol -
http://www.donzi.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=15262

I hear California has has already outlawed the BMG. I hope to have one before that happens in Florida. 30 round clips of 223 in the pistol will have to work till then. :yes:
Dan

JPR
10-04-2005, 11:09 PM
Everyone knows that renaming your boat will bring nothing but bad luck and make your boating experience something that you will want to forget. But what happens when, after months of searching, you find your dreamboat with a name that you just cannot live with. For example, my first love was a 28-foot Alden with the most beautiful lines I’d ever seen. She was named Perfidious. How could anything this graceful be named betrayer of trust? Well, I never bought her, but I often thought that if I had, I would have renamed her Magic, after my wife.
Renaming a boat is, of course, not something to be done lightly. Since the beginning of time, sailors have sworn that there are unlucky ships and the unluckiest ships of all are those who have defied the gods and changed their names. So, is there a way to change a name and not incur the wrath of those deities that rule the elements? Yes, Virginia, there is.

According to legend, each and every vessel is recorded by name in the Ledger of the Deep and is known personally to Poseidon, or Neptune, the god of the sea. It is logical therefore, if we wish to change the name of our boat, the first thing we must do is to purge its name from the Ledger of the Deep and from Poseidon’s memory.
This is an involved process beginning with the removal or obliteration of every trace of the boat’s current identity. This is essential and must be done thoroughly. I once went through the ceremony after the owner had assured me that every reference to his boat’s old name had been purged from her. A couple of weeks later, he discovered he had missed a faded name on her floating key chain. I advised him to start over, perhaps with a little extra libation for the ruler of the sea. Unfortunately, he declined. Since then, his boat has been struck by lightning, had its engine ruined by the ingress of the sea, been damaged by collision and finally sunk! It pays to be thorough.

In purging your boat, it is acceptable to use White-Out or some similar obliterating fluid to expunge the boat’s name from log books, engine and maintenance records etc., but it is much easier to simply remove the offending document from the boat and start afresh. Don’t forget the life rings and especially the transom and forward name boards. Do not under any circumstances carry aboard any item bearing your boat’s new name until the purging and renaming ceremonies have been completed! Once you are certain every reference to her old name has been removed from her, all that is left to do is to prepare a metal tag with the old name written on it in water-soluble ink. You will also need a bottle of reasonably good Champagne. Plain old sparkling wine won’t cut it.

Since this is an auspicious occasion, it is a good time to invite your friends to witness and to party.

Begin by invoking the name of the ruler of the deep as follows:

Oh mighty and great ruler of the seas and oceans, to whom all ships and we who venture upon your vast domain are required to pay homage, implore you in your graciousness to expunge for all time from your records and recollection the name (here insert the old name of your vessel) which has ceased to be an entity in your kingdom. As proof thereof, we submit this ingot bearing her name to be corrupted through your powers and forever be purged from the sea. (At this point, the prepared metal tag is dropped from the bow of the boat into the sea.)

In grateful acknowledgment of your munificence and dispensation, we offer these libations to your majesty and your court. (Pour at least half of the bottle of Champagne into the sea from East to West. The remainder may be passed among your guests.)

It is usual for the renaming ceremony to be conducted immediately following the purging ceremony, although it may be done at any time after the purging ceremony. For this portion of the proceedings, you will need more Champagne, Much more because you have a few more gods to appease.

Begin the renaming by again calling Poseidon as follows:

Oh mighty and great ruler of the seas and oceans, to whom all ships and we who venture upon your vast domain are required to pay homage, implore you in your graciousness to take unto your records and recollection this worthy vessel hereafter and for all time known as (Here insert the new name you have chosen), guarding her with your mighty arm and trident and ensuring her of safe and rapid passage throughout her journeys within your realm.

In appreciation of your munificence, dispensation and in honor of your greatness, we offer these libations to your majesty and your court. (At this point, one bottle of Champagne, less one glass for the master and one glass for the mate are poured into the sea from West to East.)

The next step in the renaming ceremony is to appease the gods of the winds. This will assure you of fair winds and smooth seas. Because the four winds are brothers, it is permissible to invoke them all at the same time, however, during the ceremony; you must address each by name.

Begin in this manner:

Oh mighty rulers of the winds, through whose power our frail vessels traverse the wild and faceless deep, we implore you to grant this worthy vessel (Insert your boat’s new name) the benefits and pleasures of your bounty, ensuring us of your gentle ministration according to our needs.

(Facing north, pour a generous libation of Champagne into a Champagne flute and fling to the North as you intone:) Great Boreas, exalted ruler of the North Wind, grant us permission to use your mighty powers in the pursuit of our lawful endeavors, ever sparing us the overwhelming scourge of your frigid breath.

(Facing west, pour the same amount of Champagne and fling to the West while intoning:) Great Zephyrus, exalted ruler of the West Wind, grant us permission to use your mighty powers in the pursuit of our lawful endeavors, ever sparing us the overwhelming scourge of your wild breath.

(Facing east, repeat and fling to the East.) Great Eurus, exalted ruler of the East Wind, grant us permission to use your mighty powers in the pursuit of our lawful endeavors, ever sparing us the overwhelming scourge of your mighty breath.

(Facing south, repeat, flinging to the South.) Great Notus, exalted ruler of the South Wind, grant us permission to use your mighty powers in the pursuit of our lawful endeavors, ever sparing us the overwhelming scourge of your scalding breath.

Of course, any champagne remaining will be the beginnings of a suitable celebration in honor of the occasion. Once the ceremony has been completed, you may bring aboard any and all items bearing the new name of your vessel. If you must schedule the painting of the new name on the transom before the ceremony, be sure the name is not revealed before the ceremony is finished. It may be covered with bunting or some other suitable material.

Lenny
10-05-2005, 01:06 AM
JPR, ( I don't know who you are)...on a side note, you need to get out a bit and meet these folks here. Hop on a plane and travel 3000 miles. It will surprise you how much we have in common. The hospitality will NOT be like you are accustomed to at home... It will be BETTER. No lie. :yes:

This is an AWESOME CROWD !

It IS (these Events) what my calender for the year has highlighted. Events around the USA and boats, DONZI's. I wouldn't miss'em for the World. :yes:

It WILL change you.

Donzigo
10-05-2005, 07:32 AM
I've been at this for a long time and like the others, I am concerned with the engineering of the structure. I have concerns about securing anything structural to wood. Wood changes, get's dry, rots, and otherwise behaves with uncertainty in the ultraviolet lights of the sun.

Woodsy
10-05-2005, 08:00 AM
Has no one considered that perhaps the 22 wasn't designed to hang from the lifting rings constantly? I understand they were/are designed to be used for lifting.... not for hanging....

Woodsy

Islander
10-05-2005, 08:09 AM
Hey Dan,

Maybe the previous owner meant to call it "Genuine Mistress" and had to change it so his wife would go out on it?

Anyways, welcome and good luck with a beautiful boat.

RedDog
10-05-2005, 09:46 AM
Has no one considered that perhaps the 22 wasn't designed to hang from the lifting rings constantly? I understand they were/are designed to be used for lifting.... not for hanging....

Woodsy
My first thought was that this boat hull was never going to develop a hook from an inadeqately sized bunk...

d1mbu1b
10-05-2005, 11:10 AM
Is this one of those photoshop hoaxes?

I am surprised nobody has pointed out the neighbors lawn across the canal.

How many anomalies are in this picture?
previously stated were: lag bolts in the end grain, swinging in the wind...
how about: the outdrive is still in the water, tags on the wood? any takers?

Seriously consider starting over by stacking the beams and not relying on the shear forces of the through-bolts and end-grain.

Just about every lift I have seen has the major load bearing beams directly atop the pilings; and these beams are generally 6x8s or 8x8s

I apologize in advance for the remarks above.

Pismo
10-05-2005, 02:08 PM
Here is what I did to hang my 22. The beams are 3-2x12s sandwiched and bolted which is good for 5000lbs per 10' span, the uprights are 6"x6" on the dock and 4x6s in the center with the beams on top of the posts, not bolted to the side. Here are many pictures of it being built and the boat hanging.

http://limbert.smugmug.com/gallery/697632/2

It works very well, no bending, etc.

The big problem I had was the lifting ring the the stern of the 22 was inadequate and bent severly upon the first lift and had to be upgraded
see

http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=41471

As for hanging indefinitely, I feel it will be fine.
see

http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=39984

DonziJon
10-05-2005, 04:09 PM
Is this one of those photoshop hoaxes?

I am surprised nobody has pointed out the neighbors lawn across the canal.

How many anomalies are in this picture?
previously stated were: lag bolts in the end grain, swinging in the wind...
how about: the outdrive is still in the water, tags on the wood? any takers?

Seriously consider starting over by stacking the beams and not relying on the shear forces of the through-bolts and end-grain.

Just about every lift I have seen has the major load bearing beams directly atop the pilings; and these beams are generally 6x8s or 8x8s

I apologize in advance for the remarks above.

OK, I'll bite: The tags on the ends of the planks are indicative of pressure treated lumber. What's wrong with the neighbors lawn?? One needs mowing and some fence repair and the other one with the boat in the hoist looks kinda close but that could be from compression due to camera lens being zoomed in. Out drive too close to the water?? Push the button and haul the boat up a little more. I would like to see some more bolts in the crossmember to piling interface down below the dock decking. With only ONE bolt at each place, the dock will "Sway" when someone walks on it..ie: transfering weight from side to side.

Trouble is, maybe the "Dock Committee" has too many engineers in residence. :wavey: There's probably more than one way to build a dock.

DonziDave
10-07-2005, 09:00 PM
My 18C has been hanging from the lifting rings in my boathouse for 19 years without a single problem. My setup has two beams made with 3-2X12's stagger bolted at 12" centers and thru bolted to the pilings with 2 half-inch bolts on each end. The beams are located directly above the lifting rings. The lift is an ACE cable lift with the winding pipe on top of the beams down the centerline of the boat.

As for swinging in the wind? Not a problem if the boat is lifted high so that the cable length is short. I lift my boat so that the cables are only about 8" to 12" from full up. If I push on my boat, I can barely move it....never seen it swing even in strong winds. It's the pendulum principal....long cable - more swing....short cable - no swing.

Go to a company that makes construction rigging straps. I had two nylon lifting straps made that were 1 1/2 " wide and 18" long with a loop in each end. They are rated for 4000# each. I put these thru the eyes and connect the steel hooks thru the loops. That way you will not bugger up your eyes.

IMO you need to beef up your beams

Dave

Pismo
10-08-2005, 07:16 AM
3-2x12s staggered, sandwiched, and thru bolted every 12"s, I agree, that is just what I did and it easily holds the 22 with big block. It is good for 5000lbs every 10' (according to an engineering site I found) which is almost twice what I need so I am comfortable. I put the beams on top of the posts which is much stronger of course than bolting to the sides. Shear strength of 1/2" bolts is pretty high tho. I would never lift a 22 with the tying eyes on the transom without modification first, for that matter, I would never lift a 22 from the lifting eye without modification. I did and it failed immediately. The front lifting eye is solid tho. I tie it off with one rope to keep it from swinging. Make sure the auto bilge works even with a cover just in case it begins to fill up with water in a rain storm, that would bring the whole thing down in no time. Hey, if you lift it up once and it works, it will probably hold forever, just not as much safety/comfort factor, which I really like to have, I like things over built so I can sleep well in the biggest of storms.

GeneS
10-10-2005, 08:52 AM
Dan,

Everyone wants to be a friggin' engineer. Your lift is fine just as it is. The weight of the boat is carried by the cross members which are through bolted to the pilings. The longitudinal members are only there to keep the cross members from coming together, they carry no shear load at all at their connections to the cross members.

Its like when a contractor (or the sales rep) tries to tell the engineer how the damn thing should be built. Just ignore the noise.

GeneS, P.E.

Pismo
10-10-2005, 09:41 AM
If you look more closely, the front lifting eye is supported by the center longitudinal beam, not the cross beams. Still probably fine since the bow is light.

eachsith
10-10-2005, 11:00 AM
Dan,

Isn't your degree in electrical engineering?

Check your PM already.
Tracie

cigarette30
10-10-2005, 12:48 PM
Dan,

Everyone wants to be a friggin' engineer ....... how the damn thing should be built. Just ignore the noise.

GeneS, P.E.

Easy Gene, he asked for others thoughts, and from a well meaning group, got them.

Untie your panties.

MOP
10-10-2005, 05:15 PM
I have to agree with Gene, the lifting hardware is all attached to the support cross beams which are normaly set just a few inches out from the load, this angles the cabling inward loading the the spacer beams which steadies the whole business they could be glued in and still do their job. This is pretty much a standard way that it is done, it will hold his 22 and more. Some of the ones I constructed neart 40 years ago are still doing just fine, if you want to see scary stuff take a slow cruise around the 1000 Islands and look in the boat houses there is bigger stuff hanging on 2X6's that have been doing so for nearly as long as I am old. 65 and counting!

Phil

p729lws
10-10-2005, 07:02 PM
Anyone got popcorn???

I wasn't looking for input on the lift design when I posted the photos of my lift. I was just sharing a Donzi photo with some Donzi family (disfunctional family in this case) :bonk: Thought you guys might want to discuss the pro's and con's of "hanging from the eyes" not lift design.

For some background: I'm a degreed mechanical engineer and practiced for about a decade before a career change. For most of that time I worked for GeneS (see above post) who runs/owns one of the largest most successful engineering consulting firms along the gulf coast. I still maintain my registration in Florida and a few other states. No I'm not a structural engineer or involved in marine construction but I have taken a few statics and dynamics classes and have been in the construction/engineering business for about 15 years.

Before I had the lift built I reviewed the lift manufacturer's drawings and did a few calcs. I also consulted with my contractor and our local marine construction hardware supplier. The owner of the supply house lives across the street from me on the next canal over and the contractor has built many of the lifts in our 400+ home subdivision. They are good people. The lift is working great and I'm happy with the results.

After some of the negative comments here I had a structural engineer who I graduated with rerun the calcs and he did not have any concerns. Other than adding the roof which will give me some additional cross bracing I'm not planing on making any changes.

It's interesting how many positive comments I've gotten through email and PM messages. They all start the same way: "So as not to get the pop corn thing going, I'll put my two cents in an email"

Thanks for the positive comments/suggestions from those that have offered them.

Dan

Pismo
10-10-2005, 07:17 PM
See

for a hanging by the eyes discussion. It may or may not be important in your case.

p729lws
10-10-2005, 07:22 PM
Dan,

Isn't your degree in electrical engineering?

Check your PM already.
Tracie

Tracie,
Thanks for the interesting email and PM :shocking:. I'm positive that we have never met. I down loaded the photo you attached and believe me when I say I would have remembered you if we had dated 12 years ago in college.
Dan

Barry Eller
10-10-2005, 08:05 PM
Dan, now you understand why I don't get involved with responding to the
Registry. Do you now have a STALKER? Check your e-mail at home.
BSE

MOP
10-10-2005, 08:06 PM
See

for a hanging by the eyes discussion. It may or may not be important in your case.

Glad you popped that back up, I showed the pics to my welder buddy. He had good laugh, that mount may not have failed if it had been inverted. By design it is a load bearing meaning it would hold much more downward force then the way Donzi mounted it. He said if they flipped it over drilled it for bolts in the lower corners it would have held way more load, though like everyone else he felt steel was the only thing that should have been used.

Phil

MOP
10-10-2005, 08:18 PM
Barry to Qoute you (Dan, now you understand why I don't get involved with responding to the Registry.)

Kind of don't blame you many of us work with each other off the board, some just don't get the fact that they are slowly killing the place they really enjoy. Look at the participation it was rare not to see atleast 3-4 and at times 5 lines of names in the Currently Active Uses now it barely makes two lines. The by word should be construtive not destructive!
I enjoyed Dans (disfunctional family in this case) how true that has become, I was just speaking about it tonight with a fellow member. Enough said Bless Them!

Phil / MOP

Barry Eller
10-10-2005, 09:30 PM
MOP
I have gotten a lot of good information from the Registry. However, it seems that there are some who have a "Holyerthandthou" attitude that will keep a lot of knowledgeable people from responding and sharing their information or even asking questions because of arrogant remarks and ridicule. I am in the process of repowering my 1993 22c (OMC King Cobra) with a new 502 Marine Base crate motor. It will have around 500HP. Up graded roller cam, Revolution Marine exhaust, eliminated front water pump with Eddie Marine crossover system, Wieland Stealth dualplane manifold, Holley 4150 850cfm carb, Hydromotive Quad IV 15X23 prop. Had a 454HO/370HP before,would run 68mph with BIMINI TOP up, yes, bimini top up. Wife is a real blonde, and this is Florida. Shade is good. Should be first starting and breaking in this weekend or next. pictures of boat in members gallery under my name.

I hope this Donzi Registry becomes more friendly and less condesending.

RedDog
10-10-2005, 09:43 PM
For what its worth, this thread got what it asked for - everyone has an opinion and those opinions were asked for. If you think you may not like the answer, don't ask the question...
Here are a few photos of my new lift for the 22. I did a fair amount of research before I decided to hang it from the eyes and I have considered the concerns with this type of lift. I do like admiring the lines of her without the cradle type support underneath. Flame away if you feel the need... ... Dan

boxy
10-10-2005, 10:19 PM
Dan, maybe if you would have given out the info that you are an engineer, and the picture of the front mount wasn't misleading the answers may have been different.
FWIW I like the look of it, but I'm not sure I would trust the eyes/deck joint to hold up. We lift an 18 cc by the bow eye, and the stern eyes every winter, but the weight isn't nearly as much as a BBC 22.

David O
10-12-2005, 02:47 PM
For what its worth, this thread got what it asked for - everyone has an opinion and those opinions were asked for. If you think you may not like the answer, don't ask the question...

To all the Flamers
If you read Dan’s original post you will notice he did not ask any question about his lift, he clearly stated he had done his research, made his choice and stated why he chose to take this route, he likes the lines of the boat.
He did make a very accurate cynical remark in advance for those that will feel the need to go ahead and flame away, clearly going over the heads of the flamers.
I guess some of you took that as a question for imput on his lift verses the cynical remark it was. He is new to the site and already can see where this site has gone and nailed the flamers in advance.

I personally think he was looking for some nice comments on how nice the boat looks hanging by the eyes, how clean the whole lift system is, etc.

Way to go Dan you have a very nice looking set up.
Having talked to you I know you have received plenty of good positive comments through PM's on this site and you feel good and secure about it.
once again, LOOKS NICE.

chappy
10-12-2005, 03:42 PM
I'm depressed, I don't know anything about lifts, so I can't judge or evaluate. My Donzi is moored in a boat slip four months of the year in a fresh water lake, cleaning it once a week. I just know I come to this site to learn about boats, and their motors. I've learned a lot about Donzi's and their motors from the members of the registry, I hope we can count on one another for support in the future.

Rich