PDA

View Full Version : Anyone with a Performance Trailer??

markdonzi
10-04-2005, 11:49 AM
I live in Lake George area and am thinking of getting a custom made Performance trailer for my 87 Minx.
Anyone out there have experience with Performance Good or bad?
And what should I get on the trailer. I am thinking dual axle with aluminum wheels and surge brakes. Any other important trailer ideas??

Thanks
markdonzi

Mac
10-04-2005, 01:12 PM
I have one, dual axle, surge brakes, all galvanized. It is a bunk trailer, the bunks are pretty adjustable and so are the forward rollers, best type of trailer for supporting a boat in my opinion, through not the easiest to load and unload. I have had it about 3 years, no problems so far, I have towed it about 2000 miles.

daboys
10-04-2005, 05:25 PM
winter months. Easy on the boat, easy to load and unload, colors match the boat, chrome steps, big wheels... so it even looks cool. Second trailer I have owned (first for the Donzi) and by far the best.

Me thinks you will like :beer:

kjly63
10-04-2005, 06:38 PM
:yes: Bought mine last year for a 20 ft Cig. Had to make 2 trips. He lifted the boat on a template trailer and then custom welded a double axle trailer with custom paint and diamond plate steps. I beleive it came with electric surge brakes. Anyhow; very easy to deal with and couldn't be more pleased with the end result.

Dr. Dan
10-04-2005, 07:06 PM
:biggrin.: I purchased a Performance Custom Trailer this year from Bill & Diane for our 1993 22 Classic. Mine looks exactly like the one under the Yellow Anniversary 22 Classic, in the For Sale Section.

First, I selected Torsion Axles, Dual Spare Tire Carriers, Dual Disk Brakes, LED Lights, Sealed Beam (no wire penetrations) helps to eliminate internal rust,but does not prevent it, I got 6 Mag Wheels to go with the 6 Radial Tires.

I Tow over 15,000 miles each Season to Donzi Events... I did that and then some with it this year...and I can tell ya...Buy the TORSION AXLES!!!!!!! :wavey:

The difference in handling and ride for your boat and Tow Vehicle are beyond compare. I got Jet Black to match my Z71 Suburban, these guys do first quality work, they are by their own admission not the quickest...so allow plenty or time, I would suggest 6 to 8 weeks on average. This really depends on the time of year.

I spent less than many name brands, I researched them all...and I have had it compared to many Trailers commanding $2000 more. To be honest.... its been probably the Best Investment we made for our Donzi. Its Safe, I have had Service Work done since I purchased it...and they fit it into the Fall Picnic Schedule for us... they are incredible... if ya wanna discuss specifics...feel free to Private Mail me... and I'll fill ya in.

I can't say enough good about them.... Tell them Dr. Dan sent ya... Trust Me they know who I am....

Great Trailer..... Absolutely Terrific :spongebob

Doc :wavey:

Cuda
10-04-2005, 07:27 PM
I have a Continental trailer under my Minx, which by no means is a high dollar trailer. I originally bought it for my F20 Formula, but I swapped them to put the new trailer under the Donzi. I bought one that's way heavier than necesarry. This trailer is rated to 5200 pounds, and the coupler is a 20,000 pound 2 5/16 ball. I didn't get brakes on it, and I don't need them pulling it with a one ton truck, or even Debbie's Sport Trac. When I bought it, I was being a tight ass and didn't opt for the torsion axles, like I should have. I did put them on the big Formula trailer.

mattyboy
10-04-2005, 09:08 PM
love mine now 7 years old loads and tows like a dream
I'm not like Dr Dan but I put 1200 miles on the trailer a yearhttp://www.donzi.net/photos/mveth60.jpg

Donzigo
10-05-2005, 07:41 AM
I've been to their giant plant, here in St. Pete, several times. They are really organized and took care of my requests promptly. Couldn't ask for more than that.

Richard

Woodsy
10-05-2005, 07:46 AM
I bought one from Bill for my 97 22 Classic.... The trailer was great! Bill was an A++HOLE!

Long story short... I show up to pick up the trailer, the lights don't work! Definitely a ground fault. Bill rewires trailer, same problem. Bill get agitated and swears up and down its my truck. I get agitated and tell him its his POS trailer wiring. I have to go get boat, so I take the trailer anyway. I took the trailer and truck to my mechanic. He pulls down my entire wiring harness in the truck, can't find the issue. Plug my truck into several trailers and the lights all work properly. No ground fault in my truck. My mechanic then proceeds to go over the trailer with a fine tooth comb.

It turns out the wires leading into the lights was molded wrong... not Bills fault per se, but definitely something he should have caught. I call Bill on the phone to let him know what the issue was in case there were trailers with the same issue. He tells me there were about dozen or so and thanks me profusely. When I ask him to pay my $300 mechanics bill he gets pissed and tells me its not his problem and to contact the light MFG.... I was some pissed!

Bill is an A++HOLE, but his trailers are great! Buyer BEWARE!

Woodsy

DON N.
10-05-2005, 07:54 AM
I've Bought 2 From Bill @ Performance Trailer Happy With Both.
One For 18' , One For 22'. Allow For Plenty Of Time Like Dr. Dan
Said . For My Red 22' I Picked Silver .