PDA

View Full Version : 16's with ford setups

mattyboy
10-04-2005, 08:55 AM
I have been thinking about the lack of freeboard on my 16, now up at 1000 islands my boat sat next to Tony's nice red 16 ten hulls apart same construction Tony's is a 302 volvo mine a 351 volvo Tony had atleast 6 inches more freeboard??? the difference do to the engine combo ok maybe I buy that
This weekend I was with a 75 16 351 h/m setup( from the factory I would have thought in 75 a chevy setup???) boat has like 8 more inches freeboard plus it has an extension between the drive and and bell housing pushing the motor more forward???
any input would be appreciated I have eliminated wet stringers and transom and water in the boat, plus my fat ass
just wondering if it has an effect on ride also???

turbo2256
10-04-2005, 09:25 AM
Have you ever had your hull checked out with a moisture meter might be a good idea. Check out the foam packing around your gas tank it absorbs water if given a chance. A 351 block from 68 69 possibly 70 is heaver than newer stuff. Pushing the motor forward could level the boat more weight towards the bow also can improve ride and rough water handeling. I believe a 302 is about 430 lbs a 351 580 lbs .Other differances could be iron or aluminum intakes and exhaust.

Rootsy
10-04-2005, 09:30 AM
Have you ever had your hull checked out with a moisture meter might be a good idea. Check out the foam packing around your gas tank it absorbs water if given a chance. A 351 block from 68 69 possibly 70 is heaver than newer stuff. Pushing the motor forward could level the boat more weight towards the bow also can improve ride and rough water handeling. I believe a 302 is about 430 lbs a 351 580 lbs .Other differances could be iron or aluminum intakes and exhaust.

don't think you'll find any foam in this boat ... shhhhhh don't wanna make the natives restless... :rlol:

mattyboy
10-04-2005, 01:05 PM
Have you ever had your hull checked out with a moisture meter might be a good idea. Check out the foam packing around your gas tank it absorbs water if given a chance.

Do I speak french????
From Mattyboy
have eliminated wet stringers and transom and water in the boat, plus my fat ass
Jamie can you check the foam around my gas tank to see if it is wet????
I would think a water logged foamed in tank would help freebaord moving more weight forward
btw how much does foam weigh I have removed some recently ;)
both boats had similar setups exhaust anyway intakes not sure

mattyboy
10-04-2005, 04:34 PM
could flotation foam be a cause???

joseph m. hahnl
10-04-2005, 04:47 PM
could flotation foam be a cause???

Matty play nice!!!!!!!!!!!:jestera: Are you suggesting same displacment but lighter in the water because of foam. Maybe your older boat has more or different resin than the newer boats. you should find out how much they weigh compared to yours to see if weight is really the factor.
If that's the case maybe you should put your fat ass on a diet:shocking:

Or just wear your PFD. Better make it two if your foam theory is correct:bighug:

joe

turbo2256
10-05-2005, 07:20 AM
The older Donzi's due weight more than the newer models one reason the older ones ride and handle better. The older ones were also left to cure longer in the molds than soon after Don sold the company.

Rootsy
10-05-2005, 07:35 AM
gonna have to disagree with you turbo on the weight thing.. the older hulls IMO have a lighter layup... whether this is true or not i don't know never seen one laid up in person... BUT... the barrelback, my scrawny little ass can pick the boat right up off of the trailer lifting on the stern... this is just the deck and hull... it is pivoting on the front of the keel on the trailer though doing this... when i lifted it off of the trailer and flipped the deck... it was NOT that heavy... it barely even stressed the straps... 4 men can pick the hull up without giving themselves hernias... it isn't that heavy...

now my 16 on the other hand... say half a tank of fuel in her... 100 lb, all of the gear in it and battery another 100 lb... engine, fully dressed w/ transom assy and sterndrive (aluminum exhaust too)... 800 lb... now i scaled it... it weighs 3100 on the trailer in that condition... the trailer goes at least another 500 lbs - 700 lbs... single axle mild steel tube construction... and say for ****s and giggles the interior and carpet go another 150lb... so we are left with a hull that roughly weighs 1200 lbs...

i think matty's boat sits the way it does due to weight and placement.. remember bouyancy depends upon displacement and weight... if the front end and middle are light and the butt is heavy the rear will set lower and the front higher... therefore you'll end up with a steeper angle of the dangle as it sits in the water... toss in a lighter 302 and that angle of the dangle will flatten out... the whole boat will sit a bit higher but flatter relative to the water...

anywho just my thoughts...

mattyboy
10-05-2005, 09:03 AM
I think it is just the opposite on the older boats it was push em out get em out my boat was started and finished out the door in 2 weeks with about 10 other 16 hulls not to mention other designs the boats layup increased as time went on when they first came out the looks were there the strength came later

turbo2256
10-05-2005, 09:25 AM
I think it is just the opposite on the older boats it was push em out get em out my boat was started and finished out the door in 2 weeks with about 10 other 16 hulls not to mention other designs the boats layup increased as time went on when they first came out the looks were there the strength came later

The guy that filled in the transom of my 66 for the merc outdrive worked for Donzi when Don owned it and worked for the first new owner (cant remember new owners name) anyway he quit when the guy wanted to speed up the process and put out more boats a week. I know my hull seemed quite heavy the weight of the deck when removed suprised me would my old hull sit closer to what Matts does. Mybe he has checked. It is also possible differnt boats eeven the same size my have had heavyer or lighter layups for various reasons some good some maybe bad.

olredalert
10-05-2005, 10:17 AM
-------The guy that filled your transom probably quit a bit too soon. There were no corners cut while the Chisholms owned DONZI. In fact they upgraded certain things over a period of time. The hulls and especially the transoms were a very heavy lay-up, both while Don was there and after he moved next door (Magnum). I was there too around 1971 and owned earlier DONZIs prior to that, and quality was always an issue. Ask Brownie about build quality..........Bill S

joseph m. hahnl
10-08-2005, 11:13 AM
I wasn't just talking the weight of the hulls. if they changed the resin as in a different plastic that is more boyant then the old resin ." the density is different" just a thought

joe

mattyboy
08-29-2010, 09:48 AM
2 years after i sell the 16 i get my answer

the hulls are different on an early 16s around the time the 16 baby was put into production the bottom was changed.

the newer skisporter hull had the inner strakes lengthened from ending 55 inches from the transom to ending 22 inches from the transom.

I know this doesn't mean anything when i compare to jay's boat i think it is just the difference in the motor and other stuff i had we had the same hull bottom.

but when i was side by side with the same 351w 1975 16 he had 4 or more inches of freeboard.

thanks to Bill (justsayn20) and his friend selling the nice grumble green 1974 16 for the measurements :)

sorry for bringing back an old thread thought the info was important enough

now i guess i am going to need to test drive a newer skisporter to see what the change means to ride and handling.