PDA

View Full Version : Alpha SS Installation Specs??

Chili 18
10-03-2005, 12:44 PM
Greetings Donziheads...

Am installing the SS drive bought last month for a princely sum...

It is on the boat with fresh gasket and o rings. Spline grease,HP lube...

Need the torque specs for the 6 nuts. Also if their is a 'proper sequence? I set them at 45 f lb in a criss cross pattern.

OH.... Also. whats the way you flush with a drive like this? The water P/U is on the nose of the lower point. The oll earmuffs dont work. I previously removed the thru hull fitting to eliminate 'one more thing to go wrong.

I just used a large rubbermaid type tub to lower the drive into. May be the best solution? Did notice water was coming out from those side access doors when i put a hose right up to the inlets below. Are those suppose to be sealed or is that seeping normal???

Thanks much if one of you guys know this info...

Chili

Sam
10-03-2005, 02:28 PM
1.Flushing adapter: You can buy a special nose cone adapter fro flushing from Bob's Machine shop that is designed for lower units with low water pick up's. The trick here is you must duct tape the open edges so you don't lose water. Also be carefull around weeds or you will suck them up and have an over heating issue. I put a piece of screen on my adapter I then can idle through the weeds and then pull it off. It requires that you hang off the back of the boat but it works or you can plumb in a fresh water pick up system.

2. Tourqe is correct !

3. Side doors: You should have O ring seals that fit into a track. I use a little sealer to boot when I put mine back on. If you are losing water from those openings then you are robbing the motor of that water.

Talk to Doug Lovins or Rootsy as well they to have SS's.

Sam

Chili 18
10-03-2005, 04:26 PM
Thanks for the info Sam!

I did just what you said about a dab of sealer around the o rings just after I posted the message. Probably didnt have time to set up properly, so ill refresh that. Couldnt wait!!!! WOW I love this drive! Pretty much as described. About 6-7 mph gain and about 300 rpm higher on the tach. Means I can go up an inch or perhaps 2 in pitch or have some adjustments made on the 23 q4 0t over the winter. Definitely a more 'sporting' drive than the previous alpha with nosecone. Tighter band of correct trim. and easier to blow out as expected. porpoises a bit but think it can be trimmed away with some practice... But wow, when its spot on. Big Grins :) :) :) Im hoping with some prop play, could be at the magic 70.

Had a perfect day on lk Michigan. Very few boats out so no wakes to deal with. Slight <1 ft chop. About 85 degrees. Couldnt ask for a nicer afternoon. ..Well... But we wont go there..

Chili, all grins