PDA

View Full Version : 4 Blade "vs" 3 Blade!

MOP
10-02-2005, 10:06 AM
Ok I tried to use the washers a buddy gave me to fit the Yami wheel to the Merc drive NG! I went out and glombed two used Yami washers from my old shop, figured if I screwed one up I had a back up. Had to cut the back spacer ring off then I scribed depth lines to try to match the Merc taper, after about 45 minutes of careful rotary filing I got a decent fit. I will clean it up on my buds lathe tomorrow, splashed the Beast and went out. It was dead mirror calm, I could see mid range was greatly improved I now do 41.6 at 3200 that is what it did at 3500 before. Now at 3500 I am doing 45.6, I was super pleased so I tried a WOT even more surprised to find I was going faster then the cleaver which turned 65.3@5100 now it turns 65.5-7@4900 in dead calm. I picked up 4 MPH mid range and .5 top end, from all I have read or heard 4 blades gain in the middle and loose on top end not in this case! The prop is a Turbo Ultima recommended by Big Griz for which I give a very big thank you for your recomendation, you said the Turbo was the very best on a 22 and it passed my expectations! Randy Thank You Thank You!!!!

DONZI
10-03-2005, 06:25 AM
Same diameter & pitch's on both props ?
What size did you end up with ?

MOP
10-03-2005, 08:51 AM
Same diameter and pitch just one more blade 14.50X23, I am real happy with the way it runs. Was very surprised at the mid range gains and still getting a tiny bit up top, I don't seem to loose as much speed with two people and full fuel as I did before but to soon to tell. Wish I could figure out the slip numbers! I now am thinking I would like to try a 24 Ultra to see what that would do.
Another big plus is loosing the sharp cleaver blades that have knicked me more then once.

Phil

markdonzi
10-03-2005, 08:57 AM
Do not know much about proppage but do you think if I went from a 3 blade cleaver to the 4 blade on a 1987 Minx with Alpha One and 350 chevy I would have similar results??

markdonzi

MOP
10-03-2005, 10:23 AM
Do not know much about proppage but do you think if I went from a 3 blade cleaver to the 4 blade on a 1987 Minx with Alpha One and 350 chevy I would have similar results??

markdonzi

That I can not answer, but it is well worth a try. Most people gain in the middle and lose on top end, I was surprised to gain on top also. I think it is due to the torque being made down low by the cam in my engine. The cam runs out of snot at about 48-4900, I think the motor really likes a load on it. The cam was ground for a tounament ski boat suppedly to tow 12 skiers, I need to try a 24 to see where that goes. I am real happy with the results and getting it to the cruise I was hoping for.

Phil