PDA

View Full Version : Volvo Performance Engines

Marlin275
09-30-2005, 12:26 PM
blackhawk

What's the story on your slightly used engines?
What kind of 20-30 hours usage on them, testing, salt water?
Is there a warranty?
What would I need to hook into 270 Drive?
What's the performance with the 320 hp 5.7GXi in your boat?

http://www.donzi.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=12998

Lenny
09-30-2005, 12:47 PM
Marlin, I can not answer for him but, that motor would get you about 72-74 in your "X" if it did NOT have the 270 out back. That would be an Alpha/Bravo speed. The drag these things (250/270/280) have is unreal.

They just are not as slippery as the Merc products and have high slip numbers... 1:61 ratios :(

blackhawk
09-30-2005, 01:15 PM
blackhawk

What's the story on your slightly used engines?
What kind of 20-30 hours usage on them, testing, salt water?
Is there a warranty?
What would I need to hook into 270 Drive?
What's the performance with the 320 hp 5.7GXi in your boat?

They are Volvo test motors with dyno time only, usually 20-30 hours. There is no warranty and I think you need to use the 270 bell housing and coupler. If you are interested I will find out for sure what you need or put you directly in touch with the seller.

The 5.7GXi I installed in my boat has ran great all season.(knock on wood!)

Marlin275
09-30-2005, 01:26 PM
blackhawk

I am very interested!
What is your speed with this motor?
Please put me directly in touch with the seller.
gabeler@verizon.net

I got this SBC turned around backwards, Chris Craft style, beyond economic repair.

Lenny
09-30-2005, 01:49 PM
72 - 74?? :shark:

I'm obviously doing something wrong.... :confused::wrench::eek!:

Poodle, are not a LOT of people seeing 70 with 300 stock ponies (Mag MPI motors and Alpha/Bravos? ) Seems like the ones I drove recently were all doing that. Throw an extra 20 FRESH ponies at the equation, ???.... am I wrong?

Ranman sees that with his and Bravo as well on a good day. And he weighs about three times what I do ;)

Ted/Wes
Thanks guys, I'm going to try Dave's trouble code idea and see if anything is stored there. I'll get back to working on it in the morning, I just finished up a fluid change in the trim system in 102F heat.
Rootsy, Ted said it ran about 5k and 74.5 mph with a 25. If it did once, it shall again...one way or another. Can you tell I'm determined??? BUT, while working on the boat today, I found a ground wire that was off the terminal on the transom. I couldn't tell what it was to because it went into a wire loom. So I attached it just in case. Maybe that has something to do with spark power. As far as water, this is the dryest boat I have ever owned. After a day of boating, I pull the plug and only get a drop or two. What freaked me out one weekend is when the bilge pump kicked on. It was the first time I used the floor cooler and all the ice melted. Glad to know my pump works in auto.
Ted, Did you have a 1.50:1 or 1.65:1 initially? It's a 1.50:1 now. Remember that blank serial plate I mentioned? Perhaps the drive was changed as well. Also I forgot to ask when we talked, is the motor stock?

KRAVEN
Registered User Join Date: Jan 2002

Running the 6.2 scorpion in my 2002 18,bravo1xz drive 1.5.74 gps

Volvo's 5.7 (350) GXi has 320 rated at the prop, I believe the same as the 6.2 MX from Merc
http://www.volvo.com/volvopenta/na/en-us/marineengines/powerforleisureboats/gasoline_inboard/5.7_gxi/