PDA

View Full Version : Stern safe

Mac
09-28-2005, 06:52 AM
Anyone know anything about this company? I have one of thier locks on my drive, the previous owner did not have the key, on the lock it says Stern Safe, Dyer Ind. I need to get it off and would prefer not to resort to the hot wrench.

Cuda
09-28-2005, 06:57 AM
I can't tell from the picture, but if you have enough clearance, drive an impact socket on it, and turn it out. I did that on a boat I had that didn't have a key.

Dr. Dan
09-28-2005, 07:59 AM
I can't tell from the picture, but if you have enough clearance, drive an impact socket on it, and turn it out. I did that on a boat I had that didn't have a key.

:spongebob I agree with Cuda, most of the locks are designed to detour a "would be theif", few locks will actually prevent a theft...just ask Poodle?

If they want it, they're gonna get it.

The oversize socket, works most of the time...maybe soak it with some WD-40 first....

Doc :beer:

Donzigo
09-28-2005, 08:29 AM
I agree with Cuda & Dr Dan. I had three outdrives stolen myself.

There's no way to stop it..............no wait, the sound of a 12 guage shotgun cocking will stop just about anybody in his tracks...............

Mac
09-28-2005, 08:49 AM
Thanks for the feedback so far, unfortonatly the way it is designed the outside of the device does not turn, it has a internal piece that is actually the nut. If I have to cut it off how hard is it to replace the stud in the transom assembly? I was thinking maybe instead of a torch, a 4" cut off wheel.

MOP
09-28-2005, 09:44 AM
Some of those locks can be a real B(#%h, The method that I use to avoid damaging the case is to center punch the side of the collar up near top at a slight angle toward the outward side so you can get a straight shot at it with a drill. Use a 3/8" carbide bit drill down through the side, drill through until you hit the collar on the other side try not to go completely through. Use a 3/8" pin punch in the hole to turn the whole thing, if it will not turn get another person to hit the center of the lock with 1/2 pin punch & hammer while you keep good pressure on the 3/8 punch. Try this first it works 98% of the time.

Drilling at the high angle will give you almost 1/4 trun which will get it free, once free drill a hole in the center of the inner piece big enough for an Easy Out that will let you finish getting it out with -0- harm to the case.

Before you start to drill the hole from the top secure the rotating collar to keep the drill from slipping off if the collar spins, drive a hard wood wedge between it and the gear case.

Phil

PS just read that it is the fixed collar type the method above will work fine on those also, no worry of the outer rotating!!!!!.

Second PS you can break the stiction between the collar and the gear case by hitting it on the side with a punch near the base. That will make it a bit easier to remove, a little light lube left to soak is also good.

Mac
09-28-2005, 10:14 AM
Thanks Phil,

If I am understanding this correctly, this will remove the stud and the lock correct?

Ranman
09-28-2005, 12:40 PM
Why don't you try calling them, describing your situation, and ask if they can send you a key or set of keys to use to easily remove the lock with no damage. Usually these types of vcompanies have a way of determining which "code" you have and they can send you a replacement key. I think this is them...

Stern Safe
21740 E Lincoln Hwy
Lynwood, IL 60411
(708) 758-0020

Let us know how you make out.

Mac
09-28-2005, 01:20 PM
Why don't you try calling them, describing your situation, and ask if they can send you a key or set of keys to use to easily remove the lock with no damage. Usually these types of vcompanies have a way of determining which "code" you have and they can send you a replacement key. I think this is them...

Stern Safe
21740 E Lincoln Hwy
Lynwood, IL 60411
(708) 758-0020

Let us know how you make out.

Thanks,
I searched and could not find anything, thanks, that is the right company, I just called them and they are going to see if they can find a key. Thanks again? by the way how did you find the company?

MOP
09-28-2005, 02:34 PM
Thanks Phil,

If I am understanding this correctly, this will remove the stud and the lock correct?

You will be outside the stud tip it usually stays put and is not hurt by the drill, put a little WD40 or penitrating oil then give it a tap side ways at the base to break the collars stiction and give it a go, the nut part is hardened buy a good bit tell the store what you need it for.

Phil

Ranman
09-28-2005, 02:52 PM
Thanks,
I searched and could not find anything, thanks, that is the right company, I just called them and they are going to see if they can find a key. Thanks again? by the way how did you find the company?

I just used some basic online resources. In my line of work, I have to be able to find any little company someone may have bought something from sometime in the past so I have some practice.

Glad I could help out.

Rootsy
09-28-2005, 03:39 PM
if you do the MOP method you may want to start with a carbide center drill to get a pilot hole started... carbide is fragile (due to it being very hard yadda yadda) and you need to keep it lubricated and cool... you break it off in the hole and you will surely have fun with a hammer and punch and tweezers http://www.donzi.net/forums/images/smilies/puke.gif

depending upon the material and heat treatment you MAY be able to get away with a cobalt drill... which is a bit more forgiving to flexing while drilling

J