PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone know THIS boat?

onesubdrvr
09-27-2005, 10:52 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4578324295&fromMakeTrack=true

Looks like it could be a good deal, is anyone close enough to go take a look at it before I make a bid?

I see boats I like all over the country, one I'm pretty interested in now (other than this one), is in Michigan,..... an X boat

Everyone know's I'm not spending $20,000 for a boat, and would like to attempt to economize getting it here, I'm wondering if it would be possible to get a bunch of people together, and play connect the dots moving a boat from the NE or Central US to Florida? of course, covering fuel costs / etc.

Wayne

MOP
09-27-2005, 11:53 PM
Interesting package those old 427's had some balls, there is a fair amount of goodies to make them go. Check with Charlie (Need for Speed) he has been doing a few runs North this year.

Phil

Lenny
09-28-2005, 12:03 AM
...play "X" boat and be done, ... IMO... Lenny

onesubdrvr
09-28-2005, 12:26 AM
Interesting package those old 427's had some balls, there is a fair amount of goodies to make them go. Check with Charlie (Need for Speed) he has been doing a few runs North this year.

Phil
Thanks Phil,....

I'll keep that info handy incase I bid / win

Wayne

onesubdrvr
09-28-2005, 12:27 AM
...play "X" boat and be done, ... IMO... Lenny

Lenny,

I DO like 'em X boats ;)

FINALLY opened up the links for yours in you signature line, VERY nice looking boat!!

Wayne

Rootsy
09-28-2005, 07:30 AM

Phil

you had better hope you dont have to buy any PARTS for one though... $$$$$$$ ouchies...

hmmm i do need one for my 64 cyclone though ;)

MOP
09-28-2005, 08:13 AM
Jamie has got the parts thing right, you do need to do some scrounging but stuff is around. Is there any change that this boat came with that setup? There has been several mentions of BB Fords being in some 18's. It may be collectable if it came that way.

Phil

mattyboy
09-28-2005, 09:19 AM
Things that make me go HMMMMMMM

in 78 the hin should be clearly stamped on the transom

I have never seen or heard of a 427 18 with volvo outdrive, v drive yes in the 60's though

in 78 wasn't ford out of the pic, wasn't chevy powering the donzi's at that point???
most likely a H/m setup and if so a h/m serial number will tell if it is a factory setup or not but again weren't they out of the marine business in 78???

Is it me or the angle of the pic but that looks like a small 427 to me??? maybe a 351 c ????
but what do I know

a volvo setup and a 427 in an 18 bet this boat has less freeboard then mine ;)

I do know where to find the rear 4 barrel carb on a twin 4 bbl 427 setup ;)

Woodsy
09-28-2005, 10:17 AM
I would be somewhat skeptical on the originality of this boat... Ford stopped making the 427 motor in the late 60's... somewhere around 68-69. That being said, when did Volvo come out with the 280 drive? I was thinking this boat might be older than described.... or perhaps had the motor swapped. I would also be concerned that the motor is in fact not a 427, but a 390. 390's were ALOT more common and its very difficult to tell them apart...

Woodsy

olredalert
09-28-2005, 10:21 AM
------Matty is as close as we are going to get. This boat has so many questions without answers that I dont believe I could bid on it. At the price its at now I bet most of the bidders are trying to buy the boat for the motor and then resell the rest. Probably building a Cobra replica!!!..............Bill S

boldts
09-28-2005, 08:14 PM
Wayne,

If you buy something up North before the end of Oct., I'd be glad to help you get it South. I'm currently working 3 days on, 4 days off and a trip to FL could be done. My truck is leased and I won't have it after Oct. though. I helped Lenny get his X a little closer to Can. and would be happy to help anyone here that I can.

Is the yellow boat sitting next to this one in the last pic a Donzi also? It's been modified for sure, but might be a really fun, fast ride. Be interesting to see what is behind that dash and 1,500 in an interior from Bilt-Rite, it might be a nice pick-up.

Moody Blu'
09-28-2005, 08:24 PM
those are surely some "custom" exhaust manifolds.

anyone notice the yellow donzi next to it?

Rodger
09-28-2005, 08:32 PM
In 1978 the 454-330 HP version with a TRS was offered in an 18'. With a package like that available, it seems highly unlikely that someone would have ordered an obsolete Ford 427 with a Volvo drive that probably had no power trim.

onesubdrvr
09-28-2005, 08:44 PM
Wayne,

If you buy something up North before the end of Oct., I'd be glad to help you get it South. I'm currently working 3 days on, 4 days off and a trip to FL could be done. My truck is leased and I won't have it after Oct. though. I helped Lenny get his X a little closer to Can. and would be happy to help anyone here that I can.

Is the yellow boat sitting next to this one in the last pic a Donzi also? It's been modified for sure, but might be a really fun, fast ride. Be interesting to see what is behind that dash and 1,500 in an interior from Bilt-Rite, it might be a nice pick-up.
Scott, that would be awesome, and I'll keep it in mind incase I get a deal done in the next few weeks

The yellow boat in the background is a late 60's 16. It is now available on E-bay as well. Ford 302 / Volvo 280 package, pretty nice looking little boat, yellow is one of my favorite colors, and the interior is solid yellow as well.

I E-Mailed the seller, and he states that he's been told about 7 places to look for the HIN and no-dice. This would lead me to believe, like mentioned earlier, that it is older than suspected (ie before HIN #'s were stamped into hull, what was that, 72?). Perhaps a late 60's which would make alot more sense. I wish he had a better shot of the keep so that we could see wether it was a sharp V or a rounded V, that would help too.

Anyways, thanks again, I'll be in touch!

Wayne

mattyboy
09-28-2005, 09:15 PM
Wayne,
only barrelbacks have the sharp V all other 18's are rounded keel,
and the 16 are all rounded keel boats, the yellow boat was for sale in NY some time back 3 years or so ago, and has a 280t again not available in a 60's 16 not original but trim is a nice upgrade

onesubdrvr
09-30-2005, 04:13 PM
I just noticed,.... (me duh, you smart) the full length lift strakes, does that give any indication to year I think I remember in conversation that the length of the strakes changed after OMC?

Thanks
Wayne

mphatc
09-30-2005, 09:12 PM
I'm not to far away from Rindge NH . . . . if anyone wants an inspection, look see and JPGs on Saturday, post me in the AM, I'll try to connect with the seller.

MarioVSR1@verizon.net

Mario

onesubdrvr
09-30-2005, 09:23 PM
I'm not to far away from Rindge NH . . . . if anyone wants an inspection, look see and JPGs on Saturday, post me in the AM, I'll try to connect with the seller.

MarioVSR1@verizon.net

Mario
Mario,

I sent you and e-mail to the above adress, Thanks!

Wayne

p729lws
10-01-2005, 05:03 AM
Scott, that would be awesome, and I'll keep it in mind incase I get a deal done in the next few weeks

The yellow boat in the background is a late 60's 16. It is now available on E-bay as well. Ford 302 / Volvo 280 package, pretty nice looking little boat, yellow is one of my favorite colors, and the interior is solid yellow as well.

I E-Mailed the seller, and he states that he's been told about 7 places to look for the HIN and no-dice. This would lead me to believe, like mentioned earlier, that it is older than suspected (ie before HIN #'s were stamped into hull, what was that, 72?). Perhaps a late 60's which would make alot more sense. I wish he had a better shot of the keep so that we could see wether it was a sharp V or a rounded V, that would help too.

Anyways, thanks again, I'll be in touch!

Wayne

Anyone seen a lift eye mounted to the firewall and not the transom? :boggled:
Dan

mattyboy
10-01-2005, 07:16 AM
I just noticed,.... (me duh, you smart) the full length lift strakes, does that give any indication to year I think I remember in conversation that the length of the strakes changed after OMC?

Thanks
Wayne

Wayne
from the pics I only see the outer strakes and on all 18 models they are full length to the transom, and the inner strakes end short of the transom on a rounded keel non barrelback boat 1968 and newer , but on a barrelback 1965 to 1968 with a sharp keel the inner strakes are full length, this boat is not a barrelback. If your interested I'd take Mario up on his offer plus he's a FORD GUY :) and has expierence with the older boats so knows what to look for

from p729lws

Anyone seen a lift eye mounted to the firewall and not the transom?
on that 16
I would bet it has to do with all the goodies that come with trim, the lift ring bracket can get in the way if your looking from room on the transom to mount stuff
or in this boat case another spot to put a HOLMAN MOODY STICKER :eek: :p

mphatc
10-01-2005, 09:28 AM
I have sent him an email earlier this AM. Let's hope he replies soon. My time schedule only allows me to go on Sat AM!

Mario

mphatc
10-01-2005, 07:33 PM
Just back from an inspection, if anyone wants JPG images post me directly, too many to post here and all are HR

Mario
In sumation
18 is a custom built, was once a small block definately a 427 crossbolt, but NOT a side oiler, has SS marine manifolds, hull and deck are painted, 18 has aluminum fuel tank. Someone once invested lots of work in this boat, and with a bit of effort this could be a unique and cool boat!

16 has punky deck Volvo power steering and power trim. Needs a deck off rebuild.