PDA

View Full Version : tempest in an 18

maddad
09-26-2005, 08:56 PM
Phil,you were 100% correct.You told me that motor would be a great match for my 18,and were you ever right.Over the past 3 weeks,I've run more gas through,and put more hours on my boat than all the other motors combined.(3 clevelands over 6 years)I'm having so much fun with it,I barely find the time to dial it in for better performance.The first day in the water(fri.before labor day)it went just over 60(gps)at 4500 rpm ,in the middle hole.
Since then I put the total advance to 32 degrees(from 30)trimmed it all the way up,and last night,with the bay kicked up a bit,flirted with 5000.No GPS on board for that run,but everything to the side of straight ahead was blurry!
One of changes I made to the boat that really affected the fun/safety factor was hydraulic steering.Yes, the fork and helmet still twist a bit,but with the un balanced hynautic cylinder,I can now steer with one hand at any speed.If you still steer with a cable,that is a switch you should consider.
I want to say thank you to Allan Brown and his cohorts at SM,for making it almost painless to spend $$$.They were very helpful and a class act during a U.P.S. nightmare.
I'd also like to thank the H.M.for this place.I hope i didn't wear out the search function.There's more thanks coming in the mail.
I have a Volvo 280 leg with a merc. prop shaft in it.Does anyone else have one of these setups?I'm wondering what props I can try, beside the 23 mirage i have now.

Cuda
09-26-2005, 09:46 PM
I love these happy ending stories. I wish I had one to tell. :)

Lenny
09-26-2005, 09:47 PM
I have a Volvo 280 leg with a merc. prop shaft in it.Does anyone else have one of these setups?I'm wondering what props I can try, beside the 23 mirage i have now.

I am curious :confused:

Are you spinning at 1:61 ?

MOP
09-26-2005, 10:35 PM
Was good speaking with you, you sounded like a kid with a new toy! You should be able to get a bit more out of it, it ran 60+ GPS and actually flashed 61 on one run when it was in the Beast running a 1.5 Alpha and 21 Mirage. Got a hunch you will get it up to 65, hope I get a ride before you put it to bed!

Phil

Walt. H.
09-27-2005, 01:02 AM
Maddad,

Hi there, what was your U.P.S. nightmare?

I've had a few of my own with them. At least the last time I had breakage they paid me a fair price but it took over two months to collect and the money had to go to the seller first because he was the shipper not me, even though I was the one paying for the shipping and the item I bought. After UPS's check cleared then the seller wrote me his check and sent it. It was a good thing for me he was a honest shop owner, otherwise I could have been out close to two grand and we're almost 1500 miles apart from each other. So its not that easy to just stop by and demand whats owed.

I've learned when buying something large in price as well as used and not easily replaceable, arrange your own shipping with either UPS or Fed-Ex this way if there is a claim they deal with you direct.

Walt

GEOO
09-27-2005, 08:26 AM
Yes, I installed a merc shaft in my 290 Volvo. One of the CA. marine shops sell the conversion. Ie. CP Performance ??
I found a Four Blade Hydromotive Prop to run real nice. Stable and fast.

Lenny
09-27-2005, 09:54 AM
So this CA perf shop presses on the new gear sets too?

What do you do, take them the lower ?

GEOO
09-27-2005, 10:35 AM
I looked it up. Eddie Marine sells the shaft. $ 525.00

http://www.eddiemarine.com/cart/search_results.asp?Criteria=volvo

You just take out the old shaft and install the new one.

maddad
09-27-2005, 11:26 AM
Cuda,there were times I didn't think I would ever pull it off without selling this one and buying a new one.Good things come to those who keep plugging away and refuse to let a failure or three get in the way.
Lenny,I spun the prop once and counted a little more than 1.5 revs at the shaft,so I think it's the original ratio.
Walt,my U.P.S. thing revolved around them saying my address doesn't exist,even though the first delivery made it with no problem.Go figure.
Phil,I give strangers at the dock rides for saying nice things about my boat.I'd consider towing it out east to give you one.
Geoo,since i don't have trim tabs,I'm gonna try a four blade to steady it a bit.Should I be looking for a merc prop for an alpha or outboard or...?
O.K.,back to work now before I go for a ride instead!
'

GEOO
09-27-2005, 12:03 PM
Look for a Hydromotive. Smaller blade area then a Bravo 4 blade.

MOP
09-27-2005, 12:33 PM
Sounds great Mike, I have several really good ramps. We can put the Beast in also and swap seats, I have a few good places for watering & grazing we can hit while we are at it.

Phil

MOP
09-27-2005, 12:37 PM
A-P.S. I have a couple of props you can try, 23 cleaver, 23 Quick Silver and a Turbo 23 4 blade.

Phil

maddad
09-28-2005, 07:36 PM
Sunday morning I maybe can escape for a couple of hours,I'll call you in the a.m. on thursday.

MOP
09-28-2005, 08:04 PM
Sunday morning I maybe can escape for a couple of hours,I'll call you in the a.m. on thursday.

Ok! Even if it is windy I have a few places to run without getting beat up.

Phil