PDA

View Full Version : Hello new to boards a few questions

enrgeezone
09-26-2005, 05:57 PM
First I'd lke to say thanks for looking and hello. I have just sold a 24' baja and am looking at a 1993 Donzi 16' with a 5.0 ho ford and a omc drive... I have wanted one of these for years and found one within a few hours of my home I went to look at it and it did have a few issues. This is by far my first boat but I have never owned a Donzi. Our style of boating has changed and I'm no using this but about 4-5 times a summer...anyway anything I should look for? What are problem areas? the deck has a bunch of stress cracks from a prior dock bump. the sun has faded it a bit the seats are do for covers.....ods and ends for a boat this old... $8500 owns it...it seems like a good buy the boat has had quite a bit of big dollar repairs just done ( don't know if that is good or bad!)... I am not so sure on the ford power I am a chevy fella all the way but will give big credit to the 5.0 ho motors in the stangs.... the omc isn't at the top of my list either but I have owned them in the past and no real problems... Why the two barrel? also it has no thru hulls on the exhaust? looks like a issue to get these things out the back with the trim pump and the not able to move steering rod! can someone please shed some light to me on these boats I want to seal the deal but hate not having much knowledge on these boats...I have looked all over I can find all the history etc....but no points of view! no bads or goods?...Thank you again for your time Tom Bradly

olredalert
09-26-2005, 07:13 PM
Tom,

-------By your description I believe I would pass on that boat for the price even though the boat is somewhat newer. Sounds as if its had a rough life and there are plenty of spectacularly clean 16s and 18s around. At the very least have the boat throughly checked for rot.
-------Oh!!! and welcome to the site!!!..........Bill S

chappy
09-26-2005, 07:31 PM
Tom,

Welcome aboard. From the information you supplied in your description in relation to the price, I would keep shopping around. Check out various boat selling sites, boattraderonline, boats.com, ebay, and this site. There are many clean and sound classics out there, previously owned by people who moved up to larger Donzi's from this board.

Best of Luck,

Rich

Cuda
09-26-2005, 09:55 PM
I'd pass too.

mattyboy
09-27-2005, 02:30 PM
the 16 is a great boat I love mine but I think u would be better getting into an 18 or 22 from a 24 footer, or a 16 that is in good shape and setup to your liking, thru hulls tabs merc drive the 2+2 seating if you're gonna take friends along , oh and forget storage you'll have to take 1/4 of what you used to take with you,

you're in a good area the NE seems to get more boats popping up don't rush the season is over take your time and get the boat you want and be ready for next season

MOP
09-28-2005, 12:56 AM
Welcome to the board, keep your hands in your pockets on that one! You will spend more then its worth making it what you want! Take Matts advice wait for an 18 or 22, don't get me wrong I loved my 16 had it for 3 years but I do twice as much boating since I switched to the 22. Winter is coming a lot of nice deals on good boats show up. If you can take a few days off and come to an event, mouch a few rides to help you decide.

Phil/MOP

Formula Jr
09-28-2005, 12:44 PM
If you go to an event, all will be revealed.
And you'll see the people behind the boats. Thats your first step.

If you look at the prior posts you will see a pattern.

First posts, and some people never go to an event, then they drop out.

First posts and then they do go to a gathering, and then.... well
God help you......you just came home.......and never imagined this place could exist. :D

olredalert
09-28-2005, 01:19 PM
------Phil/MOP (broker extrordinaire) had a really sweet little 16 that runs like a raped ape from here in MI. for sale awhile back. That particular boat is always clean and with the mechanic owner being fairly anal almost always runs wicked good. It seems to me the price was fair to both parties as well for that particular boat..........Bill S

Rootsy
09-28-2005, 02:39 PM
------Phil/MOP (broker extrordinaire) had a really sweet little 16 that runs like a raped ape from here in MI. for sale awhile back. That particular boat is always clean and with the mechanic owner being fairly anal almost always runs wicked good. It seems to me the price was fair to both parties as well for that particular boat..........Bill S

what he said :biggrin:

MOP
09-28-2005, 02:51 PM
Getting old and lazy! Not sure when I will get the Blue Beast up to snuff looks wise, still have bilge ideas to finish.

MOP