PDA

View Full Version : Lake Powell Information, Summer 2006

RickSE
09-26-2005, 04:24 PM
DonCig informed me that he may have gotten a few of you interested in coming to Powell next summer. He was asking about lodging and stuff so I thought I'd post some info. I will try to help and provide as much info as I can. I'd love for this to happen. We just got back from what will probably be our last trip to Powell this year. I've said this before but it is an incredible place. I should have some pictures from this weekend soon.
Here are some good web sites.
Marinas, lodging & houseboat information. (http://www.lakepowell.com/index.php)
Good local information on the lake, fishing, gas prices, ramps, etc. (http://www.wayneswords.com/primative.htm)
Maps of the lake and specific canyon information. (http://www.elakepowell.com/freds/bays.htm)
National Parks web page. (http://www.nps.gov/glca/)
Powell does not have a lot of infrastructure when compared to most other large lakes in the US. The entire area is a National Park which limits the amount of development, in my opinion a good thing. There are two marinas on the south end of the lake, Wahweap & Antelope Point. Wahweap Marina is the biggest with two large ramps, hotel, RV & beach camping, store, maintenance, courtesy slips, boat rental and fuel. Antelope Point Marina is fairly new and is currently limited to ramps, slips, boat rental and fuel. Antelope is closer to the town of Page and a little further up lake, 10-15 minutes from town. Wahweap is probably 20-25 minutes from Page. Bullfrog and Halls are the marinas on the north end of the lake, about 100 miles from Wahweap. Dangling Rope Marina is a boat access only marina at mile 43 which has fuel and limited supplies.
Personally, we typically head up lake 20-30 miles into Padre Bay and camp out of the boat. We've gone for as long as 5-days but typically go for 3. You can cover a lot of miles on Powell, it's very easy to run over 100 miles in one day when exploring. There's also a large mile long beach near Wahweap with RV access called Lone Rock Beach. This is a good area if you don't want to camp out of the boat. I've never stayed in any of the hotels at Powell or in Page. I'm sure they're fine just never had a reason to stay in one.
I'm in Flagstaff just off I-40, two hours south of Powell. I don't have a whole lot of sleeping space but could certainly handle a few people coming through. There’s an 18C and 22ZX here in town that would probably tag along.

Lenny
09-26-2005, 05:43 PM
Yes, there are a "few" interested :D

The key would be gas tank size and refueling locations. That would have to work into the equation.

So long as there are NO scorpions ( :eek: ) the REAL ones, I don't mind sleeping on the ground :D

This sounds like a BLAST :yes:

I would prefer a place to stay mind you and fresh water wash down availability and beds and a stove or two. Bar-B-Ques' would otherwise have to be brought there.

We have a year to figure this out :)

DonCig
09-26-2005, 05:57 PM
How about tentatively blocking out the dates from June 12 thru June 18th? With the Donzi dates being the 15th, 16th, 17th and 18th?
Since school is out by June 1 around most of North America, we can encourage families to make a summer vacation out of this event if they want. Wen can make the Donzi event the 9th, 10th and 11th.
After talking to one of my good friends in Salt Lake City, UT. I think that we should go to the Page, AZ side to stay. Bigger water, more amenities, night life, and the Page and Flagstaff airport for those that want to fly in. America West Airlines flies into Flagstaff, AZ.

Daytime temps in the high 80's to low 90's.
Water temps in low 70's.
More stars than you can remember ever seeing.
We need to do one night camping on a sandbar. We can motor there in the late afternoon, set up camp, and have a great time. We can get up, have a shore breakfast and race back to the rooms for an afternoon fiesta!

Don

Lenny
09-26-2005, 06:28 PM
Don, you mean July don't you? Kids are in school around here till about 25th-ish of June or so... :confused:

RickSE
09-26-2005, 07:01 PM
Lenny,
No scorpions at Powell. We actually just saw our first snake on Sunday, just a little night snake out for some water. A few knats at night that usually go away when the bats come out. Lots of carp that like ice cream.

The Lake Powell Resort is really the only place to stay if you want a bed close to the lake, or you head back to Page. I'm not sure on availability though, it may book-up quickly for next year. Of course then there are the houseboats which aren't really all that bad when you split the $$$'s up, maybe $1500/day sleeping 12 in beds.

Lake Powell Resort ( http://www.lakepowell-resorts.com/book_online.php)

Houseboat Rates ( http://www.lakepowell.com/houseboat_rates.php)

I'm pretty open on the dates right now. Our Kids get out of school here on June 8th.

Lenny
09-26-2005, 07:08 PM
With an elevation of 3700 feet, where are we gonna get some extra horsepower ???

( HP500-18 ??? ) :D

RickSE
09-26-2005, 07:16 PM
Don't worry Lenny, Mother Nature has given us another 100' of air these past few years, current level is 3602'. Besides I can pull you with the 22. You won't find many people who can pass our boats on Powell, especially when it gets rough. Now that I think about it, I don't think I've ever been passed by another boat on Powell, not that my boat is all that fast. Performance boats are just not the norm on Powell.

At least we all loose power together.

Thriller and I need to run side by side down the main channel. It would be a sight to see.

DonCig
09-26-2005, 09:03 PM
Lenny, June is the month to go, by June 15th the monsoons usually start. By July the daily high goes to 97 degrees f. from 90.
Don't worry Lenny, Mother Nature has given us another 100' of air these past few years, current level is 3602'. Besides I can pull you with the 22. You won't find many people who can pass our boats on Powell, especially when it gets rough. Now that I think about it, I don't think I've ever been passed by another boat on Powell, not that my boat is all that fast. Performance boats are just not the norm on Powell.

At least we all loose power together.

Thriller and I need to run side by side down the main channel. It would be a sight to see.

DonCig
09-26-2005, 09:07 PM
Rick, should we go from June 12 thru June 18th? With the Donzi dates being the 15th, 16th, 17th and 18th?

Don

Lenny
09-27-2005, 10:32 AM
I like the Resort idea... :D Also, the people can clean up and stay presentable :hyper: The Houseboat idea would put everyone together and there are a LOT of varying lifestyles out there :yes: and it might not be in everyones best interest to have me close by :D

We need a facility that can have the boats at a dock overnight as well as a launch so that they can come out at night (or anytime) if need be. A parking lot large enough to store them when out of the water as well. A store and gas close by a MUST.

Ideas??? Does this place below support this?

http://www.lakepowell-resorts.com/services.php

Wahweap seems to have a LOT of stuff to offer as well.
http://www.powellguide.com/lakepowell/wahweapmap.html

the Wahweap ramp looks large enough to launch successfully. :rolleyes: http://www.lakepowell.com/images/water_level_pic3-4-25-05.jpg

sanleonkid
09-27-2005, 12:05 PM
[QUOTE=RickSE]Don't worry Lenny, Mother Nature has given us another 100' of air these past few years, current level is 3602'. Besides I can pull you with the 22. You won't find many people who can pass our boats on Powell, especially when it gets rough. Now that I think about it, I don't think I've ever been passed by another boat on Powell, not that my boat is all that fast. Performance boats are just not the norm on Powell.

QUOTE]

Have you never seen the pics from Powell over Spring Break ..... 100's of High Perf boats filled to the brim witgh College Kids......

RickSE
09-27-2005, 01:40 PM
sanleonkid, You're thinking of Havasu, Powell is pretty mellow all summer. A lot of cruisers, runabouts and houseboats, not many high performance boats on Powell.

Lenny, Parking, ramps, gas and store would not be a problem, plenty of this. Lodging and mooring are a potential problem. I'm sure the resort/hotel fills up quick and it's the only option close to the water. The Lake Powell Resort is right next to the main Wahweap ramp, parking is all over the place, gas on and off the water and stores at the top of the ramp and on the docks. I believe the courtesy docks are over on the main Houseboat dock. The docks are currently 1/4-1/2 mile away from the hotel due to the water level.

The other option is to pull the boats out in the evenings or leave in a slip and head into town for lodging.

Don, I'm fine anytime after June 9th, the date probably depends on others. July is not that big of a deal. Monsoons come in bursts and are in and out quick. You just have to plan ahead and be ready to deal with them. They can actually make for some fun times as long as you don't get caught out in lightning. Our boats can easily outrun the storms and hide until they pass. Anchors and mooring are very important though since you may have to tie up somewhere til the storms pass. These storms make for some really fun water and breathtaking scenery, but then again I’m used to them and others may not be.

Here's some more pic's, more detail on Wahweap and pic's. from our trip last weekend up in Padre Bay, in the back of Kane Wash near Cookie Jar.

Lenny
09-27-2005, 10:18 PM
An Email from Deneen today... :(

June 14th-17th is my conference.

Tell them I can't come and maybe they'll change the dates????? :)

Deneen Cunningham, CFP, CLU, CH.F.C., RHU
McVAGH CUNNINGHAM GROUP LTD.
380 - 3795 Carey Road
Victoria, BC V8Z 6T8
Phone: (250) 475-1108
1-866-611-1171
Fax: (250) 475-3098
deneen@mcgltd.ca

TMANN
09-27-2005, 10:30 PM
Lenny that sucks. Deneen has to go or Natalie will be pissed and have no one to hang with while I drink. It would really be a shame if she cant come for some reason. :frown: Im sure we can figure something out.

TMANN

thriller
09-27-2005, 10:42 PM
TMANN,

Love the new Pic:biggrin.:

MM

DonCig
09-28-2005, 07:40 PM
OK, lets shoot for the week of June 18th, with the Donzi dates being the 22, 23, and 24th of June. I will start calling the lodges to see about booking a block of rooms. Can I have a head count please?

Thanks,

Don

ps- Daneen, we have to have you in attendance!

TMANN
09-28-2005, 08:24 PM
Mike, I thought you would get a kick out of that... :beer:

Don as for Powell you can count on Natalie and I for sure and most likely my brother Jon and Amber from TR 2. That makes four from Clear Lake. We can’t wait the pics of the lake are incredible.

TMANN

Lenny
09-28-2005, 09:33 PM
ps- Daneen, we have to have you in attendance!

You bet - it's marked in pen in my calendar - now we just have to get Len there!!

Deneen
:wavey:

farmer tx
09-28-2005, 10:14 PM
Mark & PJ = 2

thriller
09-28-2005, 11:32 PM
Mike and Chris + Braeden(5yrs) and a baby of some sort..(20 days old):spit:

Richard Rees
09-29-2005, 08:05 AM
Don, Laurie and I are in.

farmer tx
09-29-2005, 12:11 PM
Mike, In that case don't forget the cigars!!

DonCig
09-29-2005, 12:17 PM
I think that (RSlick) Robert Slick and his wife from Spokane Washington may come with their 1995 Cigarette 20'.

Don

RickSE
09-29-2005, 12:18 PM
All right I guess I'll go. :biggrin: We'll definitely be there, wife and two kids. I'd count on at least one more Donzi, an 18C, from Flagstaff. I'll send him an invite and try to get a hold of the 22ZX guy. There are also a few guys in Cali., Stan, Yorkey & Eugene, and NM who may go but we need to get word to them. I'll try to contact. What about Formula Jr.?

I can't believe this may actually happen. You guys are going to freak out on this place. I've only shown a small piece of what is there.

I'll post some pointers regarding what is needed to run this lake and what to look out for; nothing major just some things everyone should know.

Again anyone coming through this way is welcome to stop on by. I don't have a lot of sleeping space but do have parking for a couple of rigs.

Feel free to contact me if you need anything, firstvee@yahoo.com .

I'll be back.

PRAY FOR LOTS OF SNOW THIS YEAR

EricG
09-29-2005, 12:28 PM
1200 +/- Miles each way from Seattle...that's a heck of a lot closer than any other gathering...Kath and I will try to make it - I have always wanted to see that lake.

Anyone from the NW know of a nice 18-wheeler we can borrow to ship the NW boats down? :D :D

My only concern about the lake is the same as Lenny's - I have a pretty limited range in the 18 (40-50 miles), Is fuel availible "around" the lake, or is it all pretty much centered in 1 area?

-EG

RickSE
09-29-2005, 01:15 PM
Eric, I did the Powell to Seattle route earlier this year taking Blueliner's boat up. It's long but a nice drive, 90 to 82 to 84 to 15 to 89 and your there, wala. Your state, Oregon and Utah are absolutely beautiful, not much in that corner of Idaho. Coming through the south part of Utah you'll pass right by Zion, Bryce Canyon and Kanab, again beautiful. Plus the North rim of the Grand Canyon is not far from Powell.

You could drop in at the north marina but I don't think it's really worth it since your rig would be left all the way up there.

Fuel: The main channel is measured and marked in miles from the dam. Wahweap has two fuel docks and is 7-8 miles NW of the dam. This is where most of the lodging is. Assuming we don't get enough snow/water to open up what's called the Castle Rock short cut you head towards the dam then turn north to head up lake. You pass another fuel dock at Antelope Point Marina at mile marker 8, actually about 15 miles from Wahweap since you had to loop around by the dam to go up lake. The next gas dock is at Dangling Rope Marina, mile marker 40, which sells more fuel then any other fuel station in the entire US. No fuel from here on until you get to the North marinas around 95 miles up. I rarely go much beyond 50 miles up. Rainbow Bridge is a must see at mile 50. There's lots of stuff and side canyons to explore between the Wahweap/Antelope area and Dangling rope. We usually play in Padre Bay just off mile 20. The side canyons are right off the main channel and can eat up anywhere from 5 to 15 miles of cruising. One of the best canyons to explore is Escalante, mile 68. This canyon holds many of the wonders of Powell, Cathedral in the Desert and several other arches. It's a long haul and may be a problem for those with smaller fuel tanks if we decide to go up this far.

If we get good snow this year and 30 or so feet of water on the lake in spring then the Castle Rock Cut will open up and save us 10-15 miles when heading up lake. It's possible since Powell came up 50' this summer, about 20' shy of opening the cut.

I think you'll be OK, just have to watch the fuel and top off when you can. I usually burn 70-100 gallons on a weekend @ 2miles/gallon with a fair amount of time on the beach. You will cover a lot of miles at Powell.

The National Parks has pretty good marine radio coverage on the lake and I can usually get service on my Verizon phone out in the main channel. Both can be spotty though back in the steep canyons.

Hope this helps.

Trueser
09-29-2005, 01:31 PM
I would love to check it out but.

* The drive would be over 25 hours.
* I burned more gas in PK then I planned on.

How do you tow Marks GRILL?

Lenny
09-29-2005, 08:29 PM
I would love to check it out but.

* The drive would be over 25 hours.
* How do you tow Marks GRILL?

We can live without the grill :yes: and a 24 hour drive is like a long coffee break. Same as me driving straight to LA and I have done that more than once.

Nothing to it, it is a must !!!

thriller
09-29-2005, 09:29 PM
Lenny,

This should give you ample time to get a 22' for Deneen:rlol:

Maybe there is one down there somewhere? Then your'e only looking at a one way tow:moped:

Geoo is selling his 18' missle???? Too fast for a chick boat..:boat:

thriller
09-29-2005, 09:32 PM
Looks like a fly in for Gus and his camera and "ZOOM" lens:biggrin:

thriller
09-29-2005, 09:35 PM
Mike, In that case don't forget the cigars!!

Check:party:

TMANN
09-29-2005, 10:42 PM
Trueser,

You know your group could fly in and go out on our boats... I owe you at least one ride for sure. That is if my boat floats at that time.

TMANN

Trueser
09-29-2005, 10:52 PM
I have to check with the Godfather!

Mike are you close to Lenny? Should I toss a copy of PK 2005 for you?

Lenny, You should pick her up a 22.

Hey what about AOTH? why not move it to the Ozarks?

Mike

Lenny
09-29-2005, 10:59 PM
Mike T, Mike M is about 40 miles away... only there is water in the way as I am on the Island. Yes, please do, I owe Mike a DVD of a Poker Run we were in and this will give me an excuse... :D

thriller
09-29-2005, 11:47 PM
Thanks Mike, I would love a copy...Lenny, i would like too see all of your pics as well:lookaroun

DonCig
09-30-2005, 12:42 AM
I need for everyone to prepare themselves for a truly unique experience at Lake Powell. Rick S. is a pro at boat camping at Lake Powell ( He has to save money on lodging to pay for the gas he consumes every day runng 100 miles.). On one night we will have an optional/but mandantory activity. We will all head out in the late afternoon to a secluded sandbar to spend a night on the beach with sleeping bags, mesquite charcoal, margaritas and maybe a guitar/harmonica combo singing old western ballads. You will see more shooting stars, sight UFO's, and hear noises that those of us that live in the western states truly enjoy. The evenings in June hover around 62 degrees F., so a light jacket or sweater comes in handy. Since we live in a very low humidity enviroment, we have very few bugs (Lenny approves!). The only thing you need to prepare for is that our night temps run about 30 degrees F. lower than our day temps. Not like Texas where they vary by 15 degrees F. A light summer sleeping bag or bedroll is a very good idea.

I make a nice southwest breakfast burito bar and a pot of camp coffee will get you ready for the morning run. Wes, Jenn, Polly and Mark, I am counting on the two of you for Texas Picante, Salsa Fresca and Marinated Skirt Steak. My wife makes the best refried beans west of San Antonio. Rick and I will put together an equipment list so that everyone is prepared in advance.

Plan on bringing a pile of flash cards for your camera. Almost every issue of Outdoor Photographer Magazine has a shoot from Powell, Escalante or Moab. I can not tell you how impressive Escalante is in the early morning or late day light. If you have the time to vacation for the full week in the area, do not pass up on the opportunity. In the USA I know of three places that are just undescribable in beauty: Escalante National Park in Utah, Glacier National Park in Montana, Yosemite Park in California.

Don

Lenny
09-30-2005, 01:24 AM
http://www.donzi.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=15093

Very NICE pic :yes:

..and I LOVE your choices ;)
On one night we will have an optional/but mandantory activity

Sounds like fun and YES, I will bring my guitar.

P.S. In looking at the pic above,... CAN YOU IMAGINE the waters after 10-12 boats go by, with it all reflecting off the walls and the "SLOW" guy (Lenny) has to run in that $hit... I see an HP500 in the 18's future ;)

roadtrip se
09-30-2005, 07:40 AM
P.S. In looking at the pic above,... CAN YOU IMAGINE the waters after 10-12 boats go by, with it all reflecting off the walls and the "SLOW" guy (Lenny) has to run in that $hit... I see an HP500 in the 18's future ;)

Hmmm, how about two of them their 500s in front of the 18?

Do they have hurricanes at Powell?

GG Donzi
09-30-2005, 09:20 AM
Looks like a fly in for Gus and his camera and "ZOOM" lens:biggrin:

Mike I'm going to try to make, but I'll be there with the 18C. And Trueser's lens http://www.donzi.net/ubb/wink.gif

RickSE
09-30-2005, 01:48 PM
Lenny, coming back after the Blueliner delivery I drove from Seattle to Ogden Utah non stop, over 800 miles. :D I never stopped for gas, helps when you can carry 110 gallons of fuel. :moped: Just keep motoring on.

RT, no hurricanes but some good old western monsoons that will keep you on your toes. We had wind driven white caps in the main channel last weekend, fun as hell. When everyone else is running for cover I'm usually heading out. The main channel can get nutty rough. One section is pretty narrow with straight canyon walls, combine this with boat traffic, a few displacement hull tour boats, and you have some rough water. The waves have no where to go so they just bounce off the walls and come right back at ya. This is really only in one area though, the run between Wahweap and Antelope, then the lake opens up and traffic disperses. It can be fun though; back seat passengers usually spend more time in the air then on the seat. This is where our boats really shine. People are usually running 20-30MPH through this section getting beat to hell, then along comes a little Donzi running on top of the slop doing 60+.

Here’s some stuff I though of,
Bring a good anchor with chain and a long rope. I use a good sized Danforth anchor, for a 25' boat, attached to 10'-15' of 1/2" chain on a 3/8” 100' anchor line. A steel beach stake with another long rope(s). I use a 2' long 3/4" round stainless steel bar and have two 50' ½” lines.

You can pull up on the beaches at Powell without too much damage but I always anchor my boat out off the beach in deeper water, nose out, with the anchor out pretty far and a line running up to the beach. Wind and storms can come in the middle of the night and you don't want to be out there struggling with the boat.

I carry an extra small anchor and line since I usually leave my main anchor lines in the water and on the beach with a floating marker when I head out.

Bumpers and dock lines are obvious. Most of the docks are pretty good you just have to watch out for the high docks that are set up for the houseboats. Our boats will go right under the bump rails on these high docks.

A good pair of sandals, Teva's. There can be stickers on the beaches and sandals help on the sandstone. This is Arizona you know, we have tumbleweeds. Sunglasses, hats, sunscreen. I rarely ever use a towel at Powell unless it's early or late summer, you dry off quick here.

Anchor shades are great when you pull up into a canyon to sit or putt around. I also use mine a lot when heading in for gas, keeps the sun off you in the no wake zone and at the fuel dock.

The main channel is well marked, red and green mile marker buoys all the way up. The red right return direction is heading up lake from the south end. You seldom find red and green buoys together, usually only one. I just head buoy to buoy, pass one then look for the next one. If you're driving and don't see any buoys then you're lost and off the main channel, trust me it can happen. :frown: Almost all the major side canyons are marked with a white buoy naming the canyon. There are no additional buoys beyond the canyon buoys, no navigational or hazard buoys. You're on your own, no big deal though only one way in and out of the side canyons. Boaters sometimes mark hazards with milk jugs on their own, in the side canyons but you really need to watch out off the main channel. There are a lot of under water buttes, spires, shelves and mounds at Powell. If you hit something chances are it will be rock and not sand. I usually stay in the middle and watch the water for color changes. The water is pretty clear, green or turquoise in color. The water will lighten or turn tan in color if the water gets shallow. Hazards are marked in the main channel with the typical white w/black diamond buoys. Powell has almost no floating debris hazards, tumbleweeds are about it.

Watch out for the tour boat wakes. They run up and down the main channel every 1 to 1/2 hour and put out monster wakes. I don't even try to jump anymore, just slow down and idle over them. Also, remember to watch for the wakes on the other side bouncing off the canyon walls and coming back at you.

Boating regs. are about the same as everywhere else. The south end of the lake is in Arizona but soon goes into Utah. The National Parks is the main patrol force but they are very nice. There are noise laws here but I've never seen them test on Powell.

Toilets, If you camp on a beach and are not near a park toilet, 200 yards or so, by law you have to have an approved toilet receptacle with you. We carry a porta pottie. #1 is not the problem they just don't Baby Ruth's floating in the water. The water level changes a lot at Powell and can wash over old camp sites releasing what was left in the sand. If we camp on the beach one night we'll be fine as long as a few of us have potties. They do come around and check for potties. There are floating restrooms, we call them "Fantasy Islands", on the lake. One at mile 22, next one at mile 51.

Fireworks are illegal in Arizona and on Powell but man do people shoot them off like crazy. They are really cool back in the canyons. The big mortars are the best. Anyone have access to some?

You need two people in a boat and an orange flag to water ski.

Here's some pics of the main channel water, rougher than it looks.

Formula Jr
10-28-2005, 01:01 AM
Bring at least one five gallon can. Fuel is very limited there. AND EXPENSIVE. You are in for a treat of your lives if you go; a totally different environment to boat in, sand stone and sweet intimate beaches, caves - large and small, and surreal rock formations. I suggest at least one walk up out of the canyon to see that you are in the middle of nowhere. jst kow how to get back, And don't walk over ground that has holes in it. Bees are different there. They make little individual holes in the ground, not a nest as we northwesterns know it.

DonCig
12-13-2005, 10:50 PM
In all the years that I have flown from Denver to LA, last week I finally had a daytime flight over Lake Powell starting on the NE corner in Uath and following the lake perfectly SW to AZ.
All I can tell you is the thing is HUGE. I am talking "GET LOST" and you will never come home HUGE. In some ways bigger than the Pacific Ocean, because in the Pacific, you have no reference points. On Lake Powell you have a sensory overload of reference points that are all called Rocks! and they all look the same.
I tried to find a good aerial photo on the internet to help visualize the experiece. But I could not find a single aerial photo to do the lake justice.
I have added a high tec GPS Map / Plotter to my Christmas list. I have the Great Grudge Match Race at Lake Powell next June against TXTAZ, and it appears that the winner may not be the fastest boat, but the first boat to make it home without getting lost and running out of fuel. So we may change the nature of the race to an old fashioned Rallye Race where the goal is to arrive a a certain destination in a set time with major penalties for being late after getting lost in this maze.
I understand why Rick S. likes to sleep on the beaches at night, because he got lost and he does not have to tell anybody if he says that X marks the camping spot. Local knowledge at work.
Here are a few photos to help you understand the view I had of the lake from 38,000 feet.

RickSE
12-16-2005, 01:11 PM
Don,
Pic#1 is the current route out of Wahweap to head up lake. Head right at the top of the picture to the dam and left to head up lake. The white buoys mark a no wake zone through the "S" turn in the middle of the picture. The water has come up since this picture and a lot of the rock is now under water. This winter is not looking good though so the water level may be back down by late spring. You can see the old high water mark on the canyon walls, over 120-150’ down in this picture.

Pic#2 is centered on Padre Bay, upper middle part of the picture. This is where we play the majority of the time, 20 miles up from Wahweap Marina. Gregory Butte is the butte in the lower right. Padre Butte in the middle surrounded by water. Dominguez Butte to the left of Padre. The channel in the upper left corner heads back to Wahweap Marina. This is the first big bay you encounter when heading north from Wahweap. Lots and lots of side canyons and room to play.

Pic#3 has me stumped. The butte looks familiar but I don't recognize the water way. The mountain in the upper center is Navajo Mountain. Rainbow Bridge is near the base of Navajo. I assume this up near the north end of the lake 90-100 miles up?

Ah I miss the lake already :frown: and it's only been two months. Our first trip back will probably be in early May.

RickSE
12-16-2005, 02:16 PM
OK so I just called the Wahweap Resort. Again this is the only hotel that is on the water at the south end of the lake. All the other hotels are up in the town of Page 10-miles or so from the lake.

They currently have rooms available for the June 22-25 dates, 20+ lake view rooms @ $163/night and 11 non-lake view rooms @ $123/night. They do not book for large groups unless the group goes over 10 rooms. Slips are free during the day but there is an approx. $20/night rental fee if you want a slip over night. Slips can be rented when you make a reservation. The ramp and parking is right next to the hotel so you could also just pull the boat out at night.

I'm not sure what people would want to do. For example the next hotel on my list is Quality Inn in Page which has base rooms @ $75/night and lake view rooms @ 95/night. This is probably pretty typical for in town rates. Again this is in town and not on the lake so you'd have to pull your boat out at night or see if we could rent slips at Wahweap or Antelope Marina. It would be nice if we were all together in the same place.

We probably should make reservations sooner rather then later especially if we go for the Wahweap Resort. It will sell out.

Any ideas??

The Wahweap Resort can be booked online at,

http://www.lakepowell.com/smsworld/wahweap.php

OR

800-528-6154

If in town we should probably stick with Quality Inn, Days Inn or Best Western which can be booked online.

So far I show,
RickSE
DonCig
TMANN
Lenny
Farmer TX
Thriller
Richard Rees
RSLICK?
EricG?
GGDonzi?
Truesser?

Reedy
12-16-2005, 03:09 PM
Add two for Reedy. I will look at rooms next week; post something if everyone is going to get a block of rooms somewhere. My brother in law from Los Angeles rents a houseboat on Powell, and says that is a good option for big groups. We are thinking of a two day drive from Dallas with the 16 Classic. Staying Thursday, Friday, and Saturday night, and then a two day drive back, 1200 miles each way?

Lenny
12-17-2005, 03:27 PM
I am leaning towards the Wahweap Resort. I like the comforts of home, the docks to play on, a place to tie up the boats securely and hang around with beers in hand, washrooms, showers etc. I just can't see Deneen being comfortable squatting on someones half full Porta-Potti in the middle of the desert somewhere during a monsoon... :eek: :D I know Don and Rick were interested in "camping" out on the river but I don't think it will work for us.

The eighteen barely has room for beer/snacks and lifejackets. (In that order) :D I think with the addition of sleeping bags and toilet paper it would sink the thing and we would be so cramped that we would have to be Surgically removed at the end of each run.
24 hours, 1400 miles each way. This actually doesn't look too bad. Never driven AZ either :)

Formula Jr
12-17-2005, 03:47 PM
You guys have got to go to Powell Lake.

Just as a thing to do in life.

I don't recomend much. This I recomend...

farmer tx
12-17-2005, 04:34 PM
Wahweap or anything on the water is good for us.

txtaz
12-18-2005, 01:52 PM
We're with Mark and Lenny for staying at Wahweap. Let us know what we can bring from the Texas area that people are hungry for.
Thriller are you pulling down with Lenny? Sure would like a ride in that Blackhawk....HINT!!!!:biggrin:
I'm not sure on our dates yet, there is a lot up in the air at the moment.
Da Taz <<<---Ready to go boating

DonCig
12-18-2005, 05:57 PM
Rick, can we obtain any type of discount at Whaweap if we book 10+ rooms?
Does the local area use anything like a Gold C book sold by the Boy Scouts that offers discounts on lodging?
Is there any chance that we could get a bulk discount thru AAA?
I think that we should move on this fairly quick and then get our rooms plus a couple of extras booked. What is there cancalation policy?
If we were to book 10 rooms now, do we have 60 days before the event to cancel?

As I make a verbal head count I see no problem in guaranteeing 10 rooms.

Also, to set the record straight, I was for camping on the beach one night, and then racing to the hotel room in the morning. I might even make two nights camping on the beach, but I still want hot and cold running water at my disposal each morning. This is not a Colorado elk hunting trip!
And Lenny, you would be amazed at what you can stuff in the bow of an 18' Donzi.
Sleeping bags, Coleman lanterns, air mattresses, coolers filled with Rib Eyes, and a bottle of Don Julio and a few limes. I have found that if you tie a nylon cord to each item you can pull them out as a long strand of survival gear.

Concerning my new Lenny Bench Seat Classic 18. Can I modify my order and request a removable hatch in the fordeck like on some of the Criterions. I could use it as my storage locker for trips just like this. If you stop and think about how Donzi completely wastes all the foward space in a Classic hull, you can visulize a couple of neat scenarios.

Don

thriller
12-19-2005, 12:27 AM
We're with Mark and Lenny for staying at Wahweap. Let us know what we can bring from the Texas area that people are hungry for.
Thriller are you pulling down with Lenny? Sure would like a ride in that Blackhawk....HINT!!!!:biggrin:
I'm not sure on our dates yet, there is a lot up in the air at the moment.
Da Taz <<<---Ready to go boating

Wes,

You can ride with me anytime. Just be sure to buy a Lifeline as I have been known to launch into space. I hope to have my new exhaust in by then and maybe a couple of other tricks????

Please bring Salsa and don't forget your darling bride this time..I might even bring my smoker if you can arrange some Brisket?? Mark???

Lenny and I will no doubt make the trip in tandem...I like the idea of staying at Hotel with a boat launch as I think I would like to drag mine out every night. After all the leaks at Possum I've had nightmares..:yes:

Merry Christmas to All

MM

Reedy
12-19-2005, 08:46 AM
Taz, when you pick dates let me know. We would probably take 40, would you guys go 10 and then north?

txtaz
12-19-2005, 09:52 AM
Way to go Mike...Can't wait to see that bad boy. I'll bring my parachute.
Mark, Yeah it's quicker for us to take I-10 to 180. Hit Flagstaff and head North. I figure it will take us around 20 hours. We will stop somewhere after the halfway point. Jenn doesn't like to push it on road trips UNLESS it's getting home. :biggrin:
Don is just out there with this camping thing. I can see it already, he is practicing his packing and securing technique to see just how much he can cram in there. Anyone else amazed at how much came out of that little car at PK? :yes:
I figure it's a vacation, hot showers, hot food, TV and a comfy bed works for us. Besides I tried taking Jenn camping once. We ended up packing and driving home at 10pm.
Da Taz <<<--- Heading to Powell....Ohhhh Roadtrip, this is right up your alley.

RickSE
12-19-2005, 10:29 AM
I'll check some more on the Wahweap Hotel this week. I did see that they offer AAA and senior discounts online. The big question probably is the potential for a group discount. I'll see what they say and let you know.

Since the water level has been down lately the hotel is up the hill a little from the water line. You can see the hotel in this picture up on the hill. It's not too far but you do have to walk down the hill to get to the water. The water line used to be right up near the hotel when the lake was full. :bawling:

http://www.wayneswords.com/emAlbumv21/albums/scenery/wwmramp45.jpg

Probably the best plan for a night time shindig and bom-fire would be to head across Wahweap Bay to a beach on the north side. Then we can just idle back to the hotel/ramp without bumping into anyone or anything. We could head further up lake but unless the moon is out returning to the hotel at night will be tricky.

You I-40 & I-10 guys, there are lots of hotels here in Flagstaff and Powell is only 2-hours from here. If you can't make it all the way to Powell, Flag is a good stopping point. Coming across I-40 you'll get off in Flagstaff anyway to head North on 89. If you come from the South, I-10 then I-17 to Flag, Phoenix is about 4-hours from Powell. Some other cities, Albuquerque is about 7-hours, Tucson 6-hours. If schedules worked out we could have a small get-together at my house in Flagstaff for the southern group before heading up to the lake. I can also accomidate one pair overnight if you don't mind sleeping on a futon, more if sleeping bags work.

Thriller, it's time for the black boats to shine. We're going to be like a "wolf pack" on Powell. Most people can barely manage 40 MPH on Powell.

DonCig
12-20-2005, 09:05 PM
Wes, I have been saving a bottle of single malt scotch for this trip to Powell. I figured that I would give it to you the night of the camping trip before the "Grudge Match Race" the next morning.

Secret Stills 50 year old 1955 45% Gordon & MacPhailSingle Malt Scotch Whisky Bottled By Gordon & MacPhail
From The Isle of Skye
Distillery No 01 Release 01
Distilled 1955 Bottled 2005vintage@whiskys.co.ukTermsAbout UsServicesContact UsHomeWhisky ShopWhisky IndexSpirit Shopwhiskys.co.uk
7 The Square Stamford Bridge
York YO41 1AG United Kingdom.

Do you want to concede early?

Don

p.s. Tell Jenn that if you had taken her on a proper camping trip she would have not been bored at 10 p.m. at night and been pleading to go home.

Lenny
12-20-2005, 09:29 PM
Wes, I have been saving a bottle of single malt scotch for this trip to Powell. I figured that I would give it to you the night of the camping trip before the "Grudge Match Race" the next morning.
Secret Stills 50 year old 1955 45% Gordon & MacPhailSingle Malt Scotch Whisky Bottled By Gordon & MacPhail
From The Isle of Skye
Distillery No 01 Release 01
Distilled 1955 Bottled 2005vintage@whiskys.co.ukTermsAbout UsServicesContact UsHomeWhisky ShopWhisky IndexSpirit Shopwhiskys.co.uk
7 The Square Stamford Bridge
York YO41 1AG United Kingdom.
Do you want to concede early?
Don
p.s. Tell Jenn that if you had taken her on a proper camping trip she would have not been bored at 10 p.m. at night and been pleading to go home.
THAT IS funny :D
I have a pic or two of Wes after having been crowned the "Official Scotch Tester" of PK. Not to worry Don, if History repeats itself and provides glimpses of the Future, then, by the time you both get ready for the "Official Run", someone "else" will be in his boat and running it as he will be in bed :D

thriller
12-21-2005, 01:56 AM
Probably the best plan for a night time shindig and bom-fire would be to head across Wahweap Bay to a beach on the north side. Then we can just idle back to the hotel/ramp without bumping into anyone or anything. We could head further up lake but unless the moon is out returning to the hotel at night will be tricky.

What's idle back mean????:moped: :rlol:

txtaz
12-21-2005, 06:41 AM
OMG, Shall we officially declare Dec 20 as "Jump on Wes" day? Ohhh WAIT, that happened Sept 21 at 1:30 AM while I was sound asleep as depicted in Lenny's photo (which I thought we had agreed to keep in the shawdows)....
Don, Bring that bad boy Scotch down. That sounds like a very nice bottle...You know the kind you take a sip from every once in a while for special occasions. Besides, you will need more than a bottle of scotch to win this years grudge match. I think this year we need to throw in some driver skills into the race. Let's say maybe a few high speed turns and a few tight turns to show it's not all boat.
Da Taz <<-- The grudge match continues

RickSE
12-21-2005, 09:44 AM
"Idle Back" means you don't,

Tear your outdrive off on rocks that don't move.
Run into a 300' tall cliff wall that doesn’t move.
Run into one of the 10' diameter steel houseboat tiedowns that don't really move.
:eek: :boggled: :D

Kidding aside, you can navigate the channel at night, done it before, but you better be familiar with where you're going or you'll end up sleeping on a rock somewhere. "We will leave no man behind". We drove in the dark last October, took us over an hour to find an OK camp spot where I could get up on the beach without smacking the drive. We then got up the next morning and moved the camp to a better location.

I'm calling the hotel today.

txtaz
12-21-2005, 10:08 PM
Too late Wes, I have the pic now... It's filed away...
Grrrrrr, Good thing I already told Jenn about it. The puffed out stomach grabbing the balls pic was more...ohhhh wait I'm giving more amo here. I'll just shut up.
Anonamous <<---Really, not Taz

Lenny
12-21-2005, 10:17 PM
I can post that too if you like Wes :D ..."Puffed out"...that's a new way of describing it http://www.donzi.net/forums/images/smilies/outtahere.gif :cistineb:

thriller
12-21-2005, 11:41 PM
:biggrin.: :biggrin.: :biggrin.:

RickSE
12-22-2005, 11:43 AM
OK here's the scoop. I just talked to the group reservations coordinator for the Wahweap Resort.

Laura Lidkey (sp??)
602-331-5232

Groups booking over 10-rooms can get group pricing.

$109/night for standard room.
$149/night for lake-view room.

Availability is currently not a problem for June 22-25

They require a 50% deposit 90-days prior to arrival and have a 30-day cancellation policy. I believe she also stated they require full payment 30-days prior to arrival.

To do this we need to fax a written request to them stating,
Group Name.
Number and type of rooms required, std. or lake-view.
Dates.
Any requests for banquet or food, don't believe we need this.

So........
What's our group name?
How many & what type of rooms?
Dates? Thurs-Sun? Fri-Sun? I'd assume individuals could book for shorter or longer stays as required.

I'm content with June 22-25, head up Thurs. morning and return home early or mid-day Sunday.

Nine have responded here lately stating they will go. Any More?

RickSE (1 room required)
DonCig (1)
Lenny (1)
Thriller (1)
FarmerTX (1)
TXTAZ (1)
REEDY (1)
Richard Rees (1)

checked in earlier
TMANN (2?)

RSLICK?
ERICG?
GBDONZI?
TRUESSER?
2 more Donzi's here in Flagstaff?

Reedy
12-22-2005, 12:41 PM
Group name?
Donzi Addiction Counselors Association

I would like the 22nd, 23rd, and 24th Standard room.
King Bed?

txtaz
12-22-2005, 01:56 PM
Donzi's Anonymous
DSa Taz <<-- I'm addicted

Richard Rees
12-22-2005, 02:16 PM
Iam in for a room.

DonCig
12-23-2005, 09:03 AM
Nice overhead view of the lake.

http://www.riverlakes.com/powlmaps.htm

Great set of navigational maps of Lake Powell!

http://www.skyhighmaps.com/Description.html

farmer tx
12-23-2005, 10:52 AM
Mark & PJ are still in.
How about The southwest canyon weavers.

DonCig
12-23-2005, 12:46 PM
I like it.

fegettes
12-26-2005, 09:15 AM
Yes, definitely count Melinda and Steve in on this one, for lake-view room and a balcony if possible, with the same dates.

gcarter
12-26-2005, 10:03 AM
I just talked to Wes, I think Elaine and I are in. We'll probably fly to San Antonio and rent a car.

DonCig
12-26-2005, 11:00 AM
We now have 10 confirmed parties needing rooms so we can get the group rate and book this event!
It is possible that this group could hit 30 people in attendance the first year with 13 Donzi's and 1 Cigarette 20.
Group name: DACA
Donzi Addiction Counselors Association from Reedy.
Confirmed parties:
fegettes Steve & Melinda 22,23,24 Lakeview Room
farmer tx Mark & Polly
Richard Rees Richard & Laurie
Reedy Mark 22,23,24 Standard Room
RickSE Rick
DonCig Don, Collen & Ryan(12) 20,21,22,23,24 Lake View 2 Beds
Lenny Lenny & Daneen
Thriller Mike & Chris & Braeden & Baby
TXTZ Wes & Jennifer
TMANN TMANN & Natalie & Jon & Amber
Still on the fence?
RSlick Robert in Spokane
GCarter George & Elaine
EricG Eric & Kathy in Seattle
GGDonzi
Jefe Eggbeater & Donzi Angel
RThompson Owns RickS old Classic 18 in Arizona
Verdugo
Stan
Last Tango
Eugene Nahemow
Hottub
Stan O
GKricheldorf
Yorkey

DonCig
12-26-2005, 06:06 PM
If anybody is wanting a handheld GPS unit for Lake Powell, the following Meridian Marine model from Magellan already has Lake Powell programmed into the unit.Cabelas had them for $159.00 with a $25.00 mounting kit but they are all sold out.
I would check around for pricing but here is a link that shows the unit.
Magellan makes a car charge adapter for this unit in case the batteries die.

http://www.lakepowelldiscountmarineelectronics.com/magmermargps.html

Don

Reedy
12-28-2005, 09:45 AM
Don, what do we need to do to tie up the rooms? Should we go ahead and individually book our rooms under the Donzi group name, and then maybe have them keep you updated about who has signed up?

DonCig
12-28-2005, 06:26 PM
Reedy, I have been trying to get a hold of RickS. Hang tite for a few more days until I can get Rick to call the marina and block the rooms out at our group rate.

Don

RickSE
12-28-2005, 11:20 PM
Hey Guys, I've been away for a few days, in Phoenix for X-Mas.

Don, Kind of late here now so I'll give you a call tomorrow.

Sounds like we have a sufficient number for the group rate. Don is correct I still need to set up the group booking before you can call for a room. Sit tight and I'll let you know once this is done, probably late this week or early next week.

Anyone interested in flying in? You can fly all the way to Flagstaff, AZ through PHX on America West (US Air) and rent a car in Flag, 2-hour drive to Powell. Renting a car in Phoenix and driving will take 4-5 hours, 6-hours from Vegas, Salt Lake probably 6-7-hours.

BTW, I'll be there with wife and 6-yr daughter & 10-yr son.

gcarter
12-29-2005, 06:56 AM
Yep, it is a little early for booking. I got on Southwest Airlines site and they aren't scheduling anything that far out.

RickSE
01-06-2006, 02:42 PM
I just faxed in the information to block the rooms at Wahweap. As soon as I get the confirmation back I'll post the info for you to call in and book rooms individually.

I requested 12 rooms, 4-lake view & 8-standard, double beds, for June 22-24.

Richard Rees
01-09-2006, 08:39 PM
I Would like to know the name of hotel in Wahweap and Phone number if possible, so I can book it Dano.

RickSE
01-10-2006, 05:50 PM
OK guys and gals this is it, DACA is officially set up with the Wahweap Resort.:hyper:

We have the following blocked:
Nights of June 22-24, 2006
8-standard rooms @ $109/night +tax
4-lake view rooms @ $149/night +tax
They will try to keep the rooms together in one spot of the hotel.

Do the following:
Call the resort.
Give them our group name or reservation number.
Indicate the type of room desired, Standard or Lake-view.
Indicate nights of stay; I was told we're not pined down to 6/22-24 and can stay longer or even shorter.
They probably want room occupancy #'s; all rooms should be double occupancy with (2) queen beds.
Give your credit card info.

Resort: Lake Powell Resorts & Marinas, Group Reservations 800-341-8934
Group Name & Reservation Number: DACA Res#13G4RP

Looks like they're requesting (1) night deposit on each room by 3/22/06 and that you confirm all arrangements 72 hours prior to arrival, so call by March 22. If we don't get 10 rooms reserved the rates go up $20/night.

There is a fee to enter the Park, $15/vehicle & $15-$20/boat, good for 7 days. Also, they will want to know if your boat has been east of the Mississippi, for muscles.

There are overnight slips available, approx. $20/night, and you may want to ask when you call if you're interested in one. I'm not sure what I'll do, may pull the boat out at night and drop in first thing in the morning. Courtesy slips are free during the day. You can probably also get a slip when you arrive. The hotel, ramp and marina are all in the same general area but the water level has forced the marina to be pushed further from the hotel & ramp. All three are in walking distance and the ramp is right next to the hotel.

Anyone please feel free to contact me if you have problems or questions,
Rick Strones
firstvee@yahoo.com
day: 928-864-3634
hm: 928-214-0298

I did this earlier but when we get closer I'll revisit what you should know and bring to be prepared. Maps are the biggie, everyone needs a waterproof map. I need to look up the map I use.

I'll call in this week and be taking (1) standard room.

RickSE
01-11-2006, 10:41 AM
This is the map I use. It's usually available at the lake but I wouldn't count on it being there. NPS gives you a general map when you enter the Park but it doesn't give you much detail. The map listed below is easy to read, has good detail of the lake with side canyon information, bouy numbers & location and is waterproof.

Map I use, North Star Powell Map (https://www.northstarmapping.com/shop/showProd.asp?prod=102)
North Star Powell Map on a different site (http://www.canyon-country.com/maps/Waterproof_Powell_Navigational/waterproof_powell_navigational.html)

The Stan Jones map is also supposed to be good although I've never used one.

Stan Jones Powell Map (http://www.canyon-country.com/maps/Stan_Jones_Map/stan_jones_map.html)

RickSE
02-08-2006, 11:01 AM
OK, I just called and made my reservation, checking-in the 22nd & out the 25th. They'll charge your credit card for one night then you pay the rest at checkout.

No one else has called in for a reservation. Don't forget about this. If we don't get 10 rooms booked by March 22 we loose the group rate.

Reedy
02-08-2006, 01:45 PM
RickSE,
We booked our room over two weeks ago, and I have a comfirmation #.
They said we were the only ones to book then. Hopefully they are not getting things mixed up already.....:cussball:
Do you know what the level is now at Powell? Last time I looked it was something like 50' low, but they said the spring run off adds a lot by June.
We are looking forward to it.

RickSE
02-08-2006, 04:49 PM
RickSE,
Hopefully they are not getting things mixed up already.....:cussball:
Do you know what the level is now at Powell? Last time I looked it was something like 50' low, but they said the spring run off adds a lot by June.
We are looking forward to it.
Thanks Reedy, hopefully not. As long as we reserve under the DACA name or 13G4RP group number we should be fine. I'll check back with them when we get closer to the March date.

Powell is currently down 106' (3594') from full pool (3700'). It'll continue to drop until April when the runoff starts to come in. The official word it that it will rise to the 3630' range by July. If this is true then we may see 3620' when we're there in late June. 3620' is the magic number for the south end of the lake because it opens up the Castle Rock Cut allowing Wahweap boaters to take a shortcut when heading up lake. The Castle Rock Cut has been closed for the last 2-years. 50' to 60' down is a good level, hell 150' down, last spring, is fine on Powell.

Lake Powell levels (http://www.usbr.gov/uc/water/rsvrs/ops/crsp_40_gc.html)

This photo shows the lake around the 3580'-3590' level.

farmer tx
02-09-2006, 12:06 AM
We will try to make reservations this week. Looking forward to a great spring thaw.

Lenny
02-09-2006, 12:24 AM
I CAN'T WAIT to run the little finger on the bottom right of that pic Rick. Instead of buoys for a slalom course we use rocks instead :D

That looks like a BLAST :yes:

RickSE
02-09-2006, 10:56 AM
The body of land between the red & blue paths is usually an island, when the water is up, called Antelope Island. The past few years everyone heading up lake has had to use the alternate route, blue line. The path is narrow with steep canyon walls and the water can get nutty-nutty rough for a lake. 99.9% of the people on the lake hate the route because of the rough water, 99.9% of Donzi owners will love this route. I've even heard 28' Nordic and Sleekcraft owners complain about the rough water on this route, but then they're West Coast boats. :beer:

BTW, the Antelope Island area is where 12 tourists died back in the 90's. They were hiking in one of the slot canyons when a monsoon storm hit on the plateau up above the canyon. The rain water, sand and mud washed them out of the canyon and killed almost all of the tour group. From what I remember they only found one alive and recovered maybe two of the bodies; the rest are still buried in the sand and have never been found. The slot canyons on Powell are incredible but you have to respect mother nature when hiking in them and watch the weather, even the weather miles away.

On a side note we, Northern Arizona, are now officially into the driest winter ever on record. We typically get 120" of snow a year here in Flagstaff and have had about 2" so far this winter. Last winter was the second wettest on record. What the hell is going on? If it wasn't for the snow way north in Colorado we'd be in big trouble. Phoenix is heading for its #1 record of 160 days without precipitation. They just passed #2 a few weeks ago at 110 days.

DonCig
02-12-2006, 08:39 AM
Some points.

Colorado snowpack is at 136% in the Colorado river drainage, which is the big contributor to Lake Powell water levels. I believe that Lake Powell will hit a nice water level this year.

Airfares are usually very cheap into Las Vegas, which is a 5 hour drive from Lake Powell. If anybody wants to fly in, I would suggest Las Vegas or the Page AZ airport. Great Lakes Airlines offers service from Phoenix to Las Vegas and Page, Arizona. Scenic Airlines has flights from Las Vegas, Nevada, to Page.

There is a remote chance that I will be able to rent a friends houseboat for that weekend.

I went to the Utah boat show this week and picked up about 10 lake Powell visitor guides. The first 10 people that pm me with their mailing address get a free guide.

Cell phones will work in some locations on Powell. It would be wise for our group to have at least one marine band radio, in case of an emergency.

We will have at least one other speed boat on lake Powell. "Mamba" the new 47' Outerlimits can run 127mph at Lake Powell. You can not miss the boat, it is painted to look like a Green Snake on a yellow hull.

Boat Performance, plan on your boat running 10% slower at the 3,700 foot eleavation of Lake Powell. If you want to bring a second prop, I would drop down 2 inches in pitch.

Fishing, Lake Powell is full of Stripers, Striped Bass, and there is no limit. They run in size from a couple of pounds up to 48 pounds, with the average running 3-5 pounds. Smallmouth bass fishing is great along with some nice Walleye fishing. The following webiste is the best out there for anything to do with fishing at Lake Powell.
http://www.wayneswords.com/

Trueser
03-03-2006, 09:49 AM
Looks like Im in.

Sound like a cool trip.

Mike

RickSE
03-03-2006, 11:24 AM
Looks like Im in.
Sound like a cool trip.
Mike

Cool, are you flying in or driving?

I'm surprised no one else from back east has considered flying in for this trip. It's easy fly to Phoenix, rent a car, drive to my place in Flag (2-hours), drive to Powell (2-hours), jump in an empty seat and go. Or just fly to Flagstaff (US Air) and hitch a ride with me or one of the TX guys coming through. I've got room for two more people in the truck.

Here's some more cool stuff.
Arial view of Powell, circa 1991 (http://local.live.com/default.aspx?v=2&cp=37.008332~-111.457587&style=h&lvl=16&scene=1034249)
This starts at the Castle Rock Cut, zoom and pan from there. The water level in the picture is probably around 3630', hopefully what we see in July, just enough room to squeeze through the cut. Wahweap is to the left, Warm Creek to the right then up lake from there. The main channel is marked by the line.

You guys need to memorize where all the underwater rocks are, there will be a test later. Seems like lots of people have been bustin their boats up on rocks lately. Bring on the run-off

Lake Powell web cams (http://www.nps.gov/glca/camera.htm)

I'm getting excited. Is it time to go yet?:hyper: I hit the drag strip next month then it's time to move the boat back to the front of the garage.

Don, we're heading up May 17-21 with friends and their houseboat. You're welcome to tag along or meet us up there. I'm not sure yet if we'll go for all the days, maybe Thurs-Sun, and we'll be tent camping on the beach.

BUIZILLA
03-03-2006, 11:44 AM
this months Boat US magazine has a great writeup and cover shot of Lake Powell.

Trueser
03-03-2006, 12:04 PM
It would be hard to get the 22 on the plane.

gcarter
03-03-2006, 12:11 PM
We are planning to fly in to 'Vegas.
We haven't reserved our rooms yet but will soon.
BTW, SW Airlines have RT rates to Vegas for $198.99 from Orlando and Tampa.

RickSE
03-03-2006, 12:54 PM
this months Boat US magazine has a great writeup and cover shot of Lake Powell.

I hate it when they do that. :banghead: This palce is supposed to be a secret.

gcarter, $198 is a good price. When I checked the other day PHX to Orlando RT was $400.

Trueser, do you know where you are flying to yet?

Trueser
03-03-2006, 01:47 PM
NOT flying driving!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bringing the 22 is my plan.

gcarter
03-03-2006, 03:08 PM
I hate it when they do that. :banghead: This palce is supposed to be a secret.
gcarter, $198 is a good price. When I checked the other day PHX to Orlando RT was $400.
Trueser, do you know where you are flying to yet?
Rick, we fly to 'Vegas several times a year on business. We've found the best two airlines, price wise, are America West and SW. It takes some planning, but we never pay more than $250.00. Of course America West is based in Phoenix.

RickSE
03-03-2006, 04:17 PM

OK, now you're messin with me.:beer:

Very cool that you're coming. As I mentioned earlier they'll probably want to inspect your boat for muscles since you're east of the Mississippi, unless you tell them you're not. We used to live in South Bend and did the IN to PHX drive several times. The last time heading back the wife and I decided in Amarillo at 1:00am to just keep driving, sleeping wasted valuable drive time. We just kept switching off and did it in 32 or 34 hours. I assume you'll go the northern route, I-80 to I-70 and down, but if you decide to come down south on I-40 let me know. Again anyone is welcome to stop at our house on the way. I'll accommodate any and all as best I can. We'll probably head up to Powell on Thursday morning unless Don can talk me into heading up earlier. I'm also considering heading up alone on Wednesday and camping on the beach for a night.

gcarter, Southwest and America West (US Air) are both pretty good. I like then because they're usually non-stop to places out east. Your drive shouldn't be bad, I-15 to 89 and you're right there at Wahweap. The road through Kanab is pretty cool. You may already know this but if you want different scenery take 89A and you'll skirt the North Rim of the Grand Canyon; adds a few miles though.

gcarter
03-04-2006, 09:41 AM
Just booked our flight on SW. Base fare of just $92.00 each way from Orlando. $434.00 RT including tax for both of us. Now on to the rooms and a car!:rlol: :eek!:

:wavey:

thriller
03-05-2006, 12:33 AM

Nice:crossfing

Can you bring a telephoto lens?:smileybo:

Trueser
03-06-2006, 07:40 PM
We need Gus and his Cousin to attend!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reedy
03-14-2006, 09:38 AM
RickS-E,

It looks like you ended up with a little weather. Ignore the cold and think of all that run off that will fill Powell up by the end of June. It was about 85 here last weekend so we ran the boat. The water is still a little cool, but some brave folks were boarding.......

gcarter
03-14-2006, 11:01 AM
Finally got our room booked.
We're flying into 'Vegas, renting a car and driving up on the 22nd.
We're pretty excited. This has been a dream of mine for literally decades.

RickSE
03-14-2006, 12:45 PM
RickS-E,
It looks like you ended up with a little weather........
30" of snow here in town over the weekend, 5' on the peaks. We really needed this and now they say more snow next weekend. Bring it on, winter is only 4-months late this year. Powell will be great this year and if we get more snow locally then I'll be water skiing on Lake Mary again this year, only 20-minutes from the house.

gcarter, I certainly hope you won't be disappointed.

So who all is actually confirmed at this point?
RickSE
Reedy
gcarter

farmer tx
03-15-2006, 01:00 PM
Add our name to the list. Made reservations today. June 21-26th. We will hit Page late Tues. or Wed. morning. Can't wait,we have wanted to see Powell for a number of years. I hope the muscle issue won't amount to much, as we are attending AOTH also. Also we have high hopes for good lake conditions because of the recent snow fall in the western Rockies.

See y'a there,:wavey:
Mark & Polly

RickSE
03-16-2006, 12:24 PM
I've added posts on the HotBoat.net and Lasvegashotboats.com sites to see if we can attract some other Donzi or Aronow designed boat guys to come. Looks like we'll have some big L.O.A. company, at least one Cig, a Formula and maybe a beek boat.

I talked to Wahweap today; we have 4 reserved so far. I also found out I was wrong about having to reserve 10 rooms by March 22 to get the group rate. I was told we need 10 reserved by 30-days prior, May 23, to get the rate. June availability is currently wide open but should start filling up, we have 12 rooms blocked though until the 30-days prior date. Still though I would suggest calling sooner rather then later.

I'll be heading up in mid-May and will scope things out around the hotel and get some pictures.

National Parks March 14 Powell Update (http://www.nps.gov/glca/docs/launchrampupdates.pdf)

Confirmed:
RickSE
Reedy
gcarter
farmer tx

Reedy
03-16-2006, 02:09 PM
Lenny, where are you brother?

ZXGUY
03-16-2006, 05:33 PM
You Guys Sound Like A Fun Group! Mind Having A 38 Donzi And A 34 Hallet Along For The Ride? Might Have To Cruise Across The Lake A Little Faster Then Some Of You But Can Hook Up At Beaches And Marinas.

DonCig
03-16-2006, 09:59 PM
ZxGuy, please join us at Lake Powell. We need some big boats to haul the groceries and tents! And those of us in the little boats are hoping the tight canyon corners and U turns will allow us to make up some ground after the big boats leave us in the open water.
I would love to have some nice west cost muscle boats join the fray. We need a couple of Hondos or Saengers, and a Schiada would be a nice addition.
I know of 1 Malibu that is coming for the event, the only thing that we are missing is a nice deck boat and a V-8 pontoon.

Don

yeller
03-24-2006, 12:18 PM
Add two more Canadians to the list!
Glen and Bobi.
04 22 Anniversary Edition. That feels good to say that! 04 22 Anniversary Edition:biggrin: :yes: 04 22 Anniversary Edition.....

Have to excuse me...I'm feeling giddy about the new purchase :biggrin:

RickSE
03-25-2006, 04:24 PM
Yeller,
Congrats on the new boat, looking forward to meeting you and seeing the boat. I had a 40th on order but canceled when I found the boat I currently own. Looks like we're going to have some "healthy" 22's & 18's on this trip.

DonCig
03-27-2006, 08:59 AM
April 2006 edition. A couple of great screensavers along with some great photos from Michael Melford.

Here are the links and photos:

Wallpaper:
http://seabed.nationalgeographic.com/ngm/wallpaper2.tmpl?issue_id=20060401&week=1&priority=2

Article:
http://www7.nationalgeographic.com/ngm/0604/feature3/index.html?fs=seabed.nationalgeographic.com

DonCig

RickSE
03-27-2006, 11:30 AM
The National Geographic picture is up near Cathedral in the Desert. There used to be a rope where you could climb up to the top of the waterfall. Cathedral in the Desert is up in the Escalante arm, about 80 miles up from Wahweap. This will be a good day trip and is one of the places I'd like to take you guys.

If the rope is still there we should be able to reach it with the water level in June. There is another rope climb in the back of Gunsight Canyon but it's been high and dry for the past few years. Lots of big cliff jumping at Powell but they made it illegal to jump over 20' last year.

There are quite a few organized efforts to decommission Glen Canyon Dam and drain Lake Powell. The NG article hints at the idea. What most of these people do not understand is that the West could not survive without the water storage in Powell. Mead and Powell work together as a system to maintain the water supply for the west. Take one of the reservoirs away and the system would die.

yeller
03-27-2006, 09:55 PM
That place is amazing! I can't wait. :hyper:
Was talking to Lenny last night and looks like all the Canadians are planning on heading down at the same time. Look out...Donzi convoy!!! Maybe we can snag somemore from Seattle. :wavey:

Avialanche
03-27-2006, 10:56 PM
Hello All

I'm interested in this trip, gotta do some research on though.

Big Block Truck, Big Block Boat and 15,000lbs of rig adds up to a TON of GAS

thriller
03-28-2006, 09:53 PM
Can you say Visa...Call them and extend your limit:yes:

Do not miss this event..I'm stoked!!

yeller
03-29-2006, 04:25 AM
Mike, if you make this event, your my new idol. Let's see...new baby...2~3 weeks old.......ya honey... your fine...lets go boating...better yet, let's go on a roadtrip to go boating. :D :D :D

Avialanche
03-29-2006, 07:45 AM
Can you say Visa...Call them and extend your limit:yes:

That's an idea:idea:

Avialanche
03-29-2006, 08:03 AM
Mike, if you make this event, your my new idol. Let's see...new baby...2~3 weeks old.......ya honey... your fine...lets go boating...better yet, let's go on a roadtrip to go boating. :D :D :D

Speaking of Roadtrip, i'll be killing two birds with one stone, since there's a huge Chevy Avalanche Fan Club GTG in Flagstaff that same week as this Donzi GTG.

So, Add me to the list of Attendee's. No Hotels for me, as i'll be camping out on the boat.

Someone said somthin about 20.00 a night for a slip, does that include Shore Power and water?

RickSE
03-29-2006, 01:50 PM
Someone said somthin about 20.00 a night for a slip, does that include Shore Power and water?

I'll see what I can find out for you. My coworker used to have a slip in the marina so he may know. You can camp on the beach but it sounds like you want more amenities. They just put new bathrooms with showers on the marina docks I just don't know if there is power and water available at the courtesy slips. I'll let you know what I find out.

What are the dates of the Avalanche GTG here in Flag?

Avialanche
03-29-2006, 02:51 PM
The Avalanche Club is doing a 700 mile tour through the States of Arizona and Nevada, the group will be arriving in Flagstaff from Pheonix on the 19th for a overnight stay and then cruise to the Grand Canyon the next day. More Info at link below

http://www.chevyavalanchefanclub.com/cafcna/index.php/board,234.0.html

RickSE
03-29-2006, 02:53 PM
OK, here's the deal on the slips.

$13.31/night for those of us staying in the hotel and under 25'.
$17.75/night for those not staying in the hotel and under 25'.

Over 25' they charge the base rate + a per foot charge, for example a 30' slip would be $21.00/night if you're not staying in the hotel. Slips are available with power and water but you must request this and let them know your needs. Again there are toilets and showers on the dock and a general store. There's also a RV campground up behind the hotel and beach camping close by. I do believe we can anchor the boats just below the hotel off the beach but I can't guarantee this until I have a chance to get back up there and check it out, probably in May.

As usual the slip operator suggested we reserve sooner rather then later, stating they will fill up as summer approaches. The gal I talked to said they work off the same system as the hotel so they can confirm if you're actually staying in the hotel. I was going to pull the boat out at night or anchor it off the beach but I very well may reserve a slip for cheap piece of mind at $13/night.

I also asked about any open houseboat slip where we could raft up all the boats. She said this is possible but unless there is major interest in this we're probably best reserving spots on our own if we need them.

If you're interested call,
Shantel at the Aramark Slip & Buoy Office 928-645-1027

yeller
03-29-2006, 06:26 PM
Just reserved our room. Check in 21st, check out 26th.
The guy said about 6 of the DACA block of rooms are gone. Currently there are still extra rooms if we need more, but it won't take long before there gone.

DonCig
03-29-2006, 06:35 PM
I picked up a slip when I reserved my room. The slips are by the Ice/Gas dock so they asked if I was going to be moving my boat during the day. I told them I would be moving 1 mph faster than TxTaz the whole week.
I love this hobby.

DonCig

Avialanche
03-29-2006, 07:27 PM
OK, here's the deal on the slips.
$13.31/night for those of us staying in the hotel and under 25'.
$17.75/night for those not staying in the hotel and under 25'.
Over 25' they charge the base rate + a per foot charge, for example a 30' slip would be $21.00/night if you're not staying in the hotel. Slips are available with power and water but you must request this and let them know your needs. Again there are toilets and showers on the dock and a general store. There's also a RV campground up behind the hotel and beach camping close by. I do believe we can anchor the boats just below the hotel off the beach but I can't guarantee this until I have a chance to get back up there and check it out, probably in May.
As usual the slip operator suggested we reserve sooner rather then later, stating they will fill up as summer approaches. The gal I talked to said they work off the same system as the hotel so they can confirm if you're actually staying in the hotel. I was going to pull the boat out at night or anchor it off the beach but I very well may reserve a slip for cheap piece of mind at $13/night.
I also asked about any open houseboat slip where we could raft up all the boats. She said this is possible but unless there is major interest in this we're probably best reserving spots on our own if we need them.
If you're interested call,
Shantel at the Aramark Slip & Buoy Office 928-645-1027

Thanks Rick for this very helpful information, i will be reserving a 30 foot slip in the next few days, i'm already excited about this trip!!

RickSE
03-29-2006, 07:29 PM
The guy said about 6 of the DACA block of rooms are gone.....

Reserved:
RickSE
Reedy
Gcarter
Farmertx
DonCig
Yeller

We have 12 rooms blocked but can go over the 12 if there are rooms available.

BTW, The courtesy docks are currently about 1/4 mile away from the hotel rooms due to the water level. They are the first docks on the left off the main dock in the picture below.

Man looks like I'm gonna have to go up on the 21 st.:bonk:

Overhead Marina Picture from Earlier Post (http://www.donzi.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=15049&d=1127846421)

Lenny
03-30-2006, 12:00 AM
Can't wait Rick :yes:

:D :D :D

RickSE
04-05-2006, 07:47 PM
Powell turned the corner this week and the water level has started coming up. :party: The snow pack up north looks pretty good and we've even gotten a few good storms here south of the lake, snowing pretty hard here today. :umbrella:

All we need to do is get to 3620' by late June and we can get through the short cut to head up lake, saves a lot of time & GAS. Looks like it'll be close according to the charts. A wet spring certainly will help.

BTW, be prepared to get ripped off on gas. We're up to $2.56/gallon here in Flag and I know they'll just keep bumping it up until summer. Bring lots and lots of gas money; you'll need it, not as much due to price but miles covered. We'll put lots of miles on going out and coming back in to the hotel area everyday. Its very easy to run 100-150 miles in one day; I've done it before on day trips. I don't mean to scare you guys but gas on the water is typically $1 more per gallon over the street price, probably still cheap to the Canadian guys. The one good thing about staying near the marina though is that you can pull out at night and fill up on land, but I guarantee you will need to buy gas on the water at some point. Just the nature of the beast.

Current Powell Gas Prices (http://www.wayneswords.com/gas.html) The cheaper stuff is on land.

Trueser
04-05-2006, 08:10 PM
Ok looks like we have a green light.

Cant wait!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The 22 in tow not the 29....................

Avialanche
04-05-2006, 08:20 PM
Tried to make Reservations today for a 30 foot slip..............but didn't get anywhere today, the "right" person wasn't able to make it to the phone, i will try again tommorrow.

Avialanche
04-06-2006, 03:16 PM
OK, I have reservations for a 30 ft slip June 22nd thru 26th, at $19.70 a night. They also said that if we camped out for one or two nights during that period that we would not get charged for that night as long as we call or let them know that we won't be coming back in by 5:00 pm that day.

Verdugo
04-06-2006, 06:54 PM
Rick,

I am back in Arizona I replaced the engine which was damaged in Colorado due to freez and would love to meet up with you all at lake powell.

Please keep me posted on date if any yet I will definitly go with my wife.

Hope to catch up wilth all you donzi nuts

Verdugo-Lowenski

Reedy
04-07-2006, 10:56 AM
Rick, what is the outflow going to? Is it generating electricity, and if so to where? Or is it a California farmers wet dream? I would think it is still too low to keep letting the outflow far outpace the inflow.

RickSE
04-07-2006, 12:29 PM
Verdugo, What is up man? I was just thinking about you yesterday, wondering if you were around. This Powell thing is a done deal, people coming from Canada, Colorado, Texas, Utah, Arizona, Illinois, Florida, Idaho?, Washington? and California?. You gotta come. Scroll back a few pages to my post on making hotel reservations if you're coming and need a hotel. The dates are June 21-25 give or take a few days.

Avialanche, That's good news. Are you doing some of the Avalanche Club stuff? I should have room if you want to leave your boat at my house and run off with the truck.

Reedy, Outflow is both water supply and electricity. Water supply goes down the Grand Canyon to Lake Mead, then Mohave, Havasu, Parker & Mexico. Arizona, Nevada and California start pulling water off after Powell, Utah and Arizona are both considering pulling off of Powell soon. I assume electricity goes into the southwest grid. Other things happen though like high water flow tests for the Grand Canyon ecosystem, none this year from what I hear. The Bureau of Reclamation controls the water in Powell and once the winter snow pack is established they have a pretty good idea of the water level for the rest of the year. What will help Powell this year is that most of the reservoirs upstream are full rather then empty like they were last year. At times during the late spring and early summer run-off Powell will be coming up 1'/day. Amazing for a lake 140 miles long.

Where are all the other TX guys?

On a side note I chatted with my dad last week about this event. He was questioning if he should sponsor the event in some way and was going to talk to his regional rep at Donzi about the matter. I'm not sure if anything will come of this but I told him it would be cool to have some give-away Donzi stuff, banners, flags, and clothing. Come on Donzi, there are boats here out west too.

Verdugo
04-07-2006, 09:20 PM
I have been way disconnected working on the 16 classic repaireing the frezz from Colorado

Rick I am In I am In I am In .......................Way Coool!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!! OK what hotel are you all staying at I am so excited finaly

What hotel are you all staying at so I can make resevation right away!!!!! I can't wait.

I will be testing my 5.7 Vortex on my 16 Classic my wife is really excited can't wait to meet the bunch!!!!!!

Verdugo-Lowenski

yeller
04-07-2006, 11:22 PM
Verdugo, here ya go.

OK guys and gals this is it, DACA is officially set up with the Wahweap Resort.:hyper:
We have the following blocked:
Nights of June 22-24, 2006
8-standard rooms @ $109/night +tax
4-lake view rooms @ $149/night +tax
They will try to keep the rooms together in one spot of the hotel.
Do the following:
Call the resort.
Give them our group name or reservation number.
Indicate the type of room desired, Standard or Lake-view.
Indicate nights of stay; I was told we're not pined down to 6/22-24 and can stay longer or even shorter.
They probably want room occupancy #'s; all rooms should be double occupancy with (2) queen beds.
Give your credit card info.
Resort: Lake Powell Resorts & Marinas, Group Reservations 800-341-8934
Group Name & Reservation Number: DACA Res#13G4RP
Looks like they're requesting (1) night deposit on each room by 3/22/06 and that you confirm all arrangements 72 hours prior to arrival, so call by March 22. If we don't get 10 rooms reserved the rates go up $20/night.
There is a fee to enter the Park, $15/vehicle & $15-$20/boat, good for 7 days. Also, they will want to know if your boat has been east of the Mississippi, for muscles.
There are overnight slips available, approx. $20/night, and you may want to ask when you call if you're interested in one. I'm not sure what I'll do, may pull the boat out at night and drop in first thing in the morning. Courtesy slips are free during the day. You can probably also get a slip when you arrive. The hotel, ramp and marina are all in the same general area but the water level has forced the marina to be pushed further from the hotel & ramp. All three are in walking distance and the ramp is right next to the hotel.
Anyone please feel free to contact me if you have problems or questions,
Rick Strones
firstvee@yahoo.com
day: 928-864-3634
hm: 928-214-0298
I did this earlier but when we get closer I'll revisit what you should know and bring to be prepared. Maps are the biggie, everyone needs a waterproof map. I need to look up the map I use.
I'll call in this week and be taking (1) standard room.

Verdugo
04-10-2006, 06:39 PM
Yeller!!!

Thanks a million for taking time to sending me the information I just resefved my hotel room todya we are soooo excited in meeting the gang

Rick also thanks

Verdugo

RickSE
04-11-2006, 12:05 PM
Verdugo, what days are you coming up? I believe I will head up on Wed. since some of the long haul guys are planning on showing up that day.

Sounds like this group is for sure:

RickSE, 22-SE, AZ
Reedy, ??, TX
GCarter, boatless needs a ride, FL
FarmerTX, 22C?, TX
DonCig, 18C 427 Blackhawk, CO
Yeller, blown 40th Aniv. 22C, Canada
Avialanche, 275LXC. IL
Lenny, X-18, Canada
Thriller, 22 LE Blackhawk, Canada
Verdugo, 16C, AZ
Trueser, 22C, IL
?ZXGuy, 38ZX, CA
?DonCig's UT buddy, ski boat

What about, TXTAZ, TMANN & fegettes? Haven't heard from them lately.

Reedy
04-11-2006, 02:05 PM
Reedy, 16C, TX:us-texas:

Verdugo
04-11-2006, 07:23 PM
Rick I made reservations for the 22, 23 & 24 Leaving sunday the 25

what do you think should I come up 21 in the afternoon??:beer:

TMANN
04-11-2006, 08:48 PM
We are still in. Just have not had a chance to get on the board for a while... Not sure if we will be taking the boat but we still want to.

TMANN

thriller
04-11-2006, 11:54 PM
TMANN

I got another bottle of Jack for ya:biggrin:

And a couple of Dog Bones for those maneating dogs of yours..

Mike

fegettes
04-12-2006, 10:30 AM
I have the room from the 22nd thru Monday the 26th. I will drive up from Homestead, FL to Dickinson, TX to get the boat and drive on up. And since I am going this far, I see Lake Havasu in the picture also.

DonCig
04-12-2006, 09:45 PM
April 6, 2006

World's Largest Floating Platform Being Constructed at Lake Powell's Newest Marina

The world’s largest floating marina platform began its journey from land to water today when it was lifted in sections by crane into Lake Powell’s Antelope Point Marina, Glen Canyon Recreation Area’s newest marina on Lake Powell. Phase II of the Antelope Point Marina platform project will include an on-the-water marina village of restaurant, lounge, retail store and some administration offices. Upon completion the marina will be the largest platform of its type in the world.

John Schoppmann, general manager of Antelope Point Marina, is overseeing the multi-million dollar project. “The floating platform is sectioned into 14 pieces totaling 1,234 cubic yards of concrete, 123 tons of reinforced steel, 122,000 cubic feet of encapsulated Styrofoam. When fully assembled the platform will be 27,000 square feet, weighing 2,500 tons. The platform will support 1,200 tons of live load, equivalent to 13,900 people or 685 average sized cars,” Schoppmann stated.

RickSE
04-13-2006, 12:36 PM
... Not sure if we will be taking the boat but we still want to.
TMANN

TMANN, I'd make every effort to bring the boat if you can. Lots & Lots of water; It will be worth it.

Holly Cow fegettes, you're coming all the way from FL? I've still yet to make it to Havasu.

Verdugo, I think Don and a few of the other guys will be here on Wed. the 21st. I don't have a hotel room yet for Wed. night so I may go up and camp on the beach (Lone Rock) Wed. night then move to the hotel Thursday morning. The only reason why I'd stay on Lone Rock is because it's a drive on beach and I can leave the truck packed. It's up to you. If you decide to come up earlier we should meet and head up together from Flag.

Anyone up for a bom-fire night on the beach Wed. night? I've been stocking up on firewood and will bring as much as I can carry. :yes:

Don, The Antelope add-on will be good, but it's gonna get tight over there. It's already a squeeze to get past the marina with the water level down, no wake for about 1/4 mile. As the water level goes up it'll get better but they'll also loose most of their traffic since people will start going the other way around Antelope Island through the Castle Rock Cut. The additions should help them attract and draw people over there. As long as they have an icecream machine that works I'm happy.

I'm racing this weekend then it's time to move the boat back to the front of the garage and get it ready for water. May & June can't get here soon enough.

RickSE, 22-SE, AZ
Reedy, 16, TX
GCarter, boatless needs a ride, FL
FarmerTX, 22C?, TX
DonCig, 18C 427 Blackhawk, CO
Yeller, blown 40th Aniv. 22C, Canada
Avialanche, 275LXC. IL
Lenny, X-18, Canada
Thriller, 22 LE Blackhawk, Canada
Verdugo, 16C, AZ
Trueser, 22C, IL
TMANN, boatless or 22C, TX
fegettes, 22 Blackhawk, FL/TX
ZXGuy, 38ZX, CA & (2) Hallets

Mardonzi, Fountain, UT, Las vegas Hot Boats
DeezNutts, Formula, AZ, LVHB
Panic Button, Cigarette, NV, LVHB
DonCig's UT buddy, ski boat

?TXTAZ, 18C, TX

ZXGUY
04-13-2006, 12:50 PM
MADE OUR RESERVATIONS. DRAGGING ALONG TWO HALLETS (WE CAN THROW ROCKS AT EM:rolleyes: ) WITH US. WILL ARRIVE ON THE 22nD SPEND TWO NIGHTS ON THE LAKE AND BACK TO THE LODGE ON THE 25th.

JUST A NOTE, WE GOT LAKEVIEW ROOMS FOR $140.00/NIGHT WITH AUTO CLUB DISCOUNT.

LOOK FORWARD TO HOOKING UP WITH YOU GUYS IN THE GROUP. LOOKS LIKE WE NEED TO SELECT ONE OF THE LARGER COVE/BEACH AREAS THE WAY THIS GROUP IS GROWING.

TOM

Reedy
04-13-2006, 12:56 PM
RickSE, Wednesday night on the beach sounds great. We are leaving Tuesday and going to stop around Blue Lake? in New Mexico. Then head on up Wednesday, getting in mid afternoon. Ten (10) weeks and counting.....

RickSE
04-13-2006, 04:22 PM
Reedy, Are you coming through Flagstaff? If so I may just wait for you to come through on Wed., then we (and anyone else who's here) can head up together. Again this is assuming you are indeed coming through Flag. I'm not really sure where Blue Lake is located, Blue Lake up near Taos or Blue Hole near Santa Rosa?

Cool ZXGUY. Looking forward to having one of the big boats around to protect us little guys. :boat: Are you on Powell much? I haven't seen you up there before, but then it's a big place.

Lone Rock is not really the best place to do a beach thing but it may work well for Wed. Night. It's convenient and close to the hotel but it can get crowded and if the wind picks up look out. If we can get through the CR cut then Warm Creek may be a good alternative or directly across from Wahweap. Again I'm a little afraid that the other options would be too far up lake for a night time return to the hotel. Unless you guys want to stay out all night. :party:

Do we need an agenda? Assuming we'll do stuff as a group.

If you have some time take a look here and check out the canyons, see what you might want to explore. Powell Canyons (http://elakepowell.com/freds/bays.htm)

I'd suggest:
1) A Day trip to Escalante and its side canyons. This will be a long haul and could very easily occupy an entire day. 68 miles up from Wahweap to the canyon entrance.
2) Rainbow Bridge in Forbidding Canyon. You'll pass this going up to Escalante but again I think Escalante is best as a trip on its own. 50 miles up.
3) Navajo Canyon, close to Wahweap and easy to explore. 10 miles up.
4) West canyon, a really neat slot canyon, just keeps going and going. 28 miles up.
5) Labyrinth Canyon, a small slot canyon. Probably combine with another trip. 17 miles up.
6) Padre Bay, general exploring, good water sports and camp area. 20 miles up.
7) Face Canyon, has a cool slot canyon to hike all the way in the back but I've not been in there with the water down. 23 miles up.
8) San Juan Arm, I've never been. May be a good trip. 60 miles up to entrance.

Lots more, Last Chance, Rock Creek and many small side canyons past Rainbow.

yeller
04-13-2006, 06:20 PM
I'd suggest:
1) A Day trip to Escalante and its side canyons. This will be a long haul and could very easily occupy an entire day. 68 miles up from Wahweap to the canyon entrance.
2) Rainbow Bridge in Forbidding Canyon. You'll pass this going up to Escalante but again I think Escalante is best as a trip on its own. 50 miles up.
3) Navajo Canyon, close to Wahweap and easy to explore. 10 miles up.
4) West canyon, a really neat slot canyon, just keeps going and going. 28 miles up.
5) Labyrinth Canyon, a small slot canyon. Probably combine with another trip. 17 miles up.
6) Padre Bay, general exploring, good water sports and camp area. 20 miles up.
7) Face Canyon, has a cool slot canyon to hike all the way in the back but I've not been in there with the water down. 23 miles up.
8) San Juan Arm, I've never been. May be a good trip. 60 miles up to entrance.
Lots more, Last Chance, Rock Creek and many small side canyons past Rainbow.
Rick I'm disappointed. :frown: I don't think any of those will do for me. I don't see a single mention of stopping for a beer :beer: :canada:

Avialanche
04-13-2006, 10:41 PM
Verdugo, What is up man? I was just thinking about you yesterday, wondering if you were around. This Powell thing is a done deal, people coming from Canada, Colorado, Texas, Utah, Arizona, Illinois, Florida, Idaho?, Washington? and California?. You gotta come. Scroll back a few pages to my post on making hotel reservations if you're coming and need a hotel. The dates are June 21-25 give or take a few days.
Avialanche, That's good news. Are you doing some of the Avalanche Club stuff? I should have room if you want to leave your boat at my house and run off with the truck.
Reedy, Outflow is both water supply and electricity. Water supply goes down the Grand Canyon to Lake Mead, then Mohave, Havasu, Parker & Mexico. Arizona, Nevada and California start pulling water off after Powell, Utah and Arizona are both considering pulling off of Powell soon. I assume electricity goes into the southwest grid. Other things happen though like high water flow tests for the Grand Canyon ecosystem, none this year from what I hear. The Bureau of Reclamation controls the water in Powell and once the winter snow pack is established they have a pretty good idea of the water level for the rest of the year. What will help Powell this year is that most of the reservoirs upstream are full rather then empty like they were last year. At times during the late spring and early summer run-off Powell will be coming up 1'/day. Amazing for a lake 140 miles long.
Where are all the other TX guys?
On a side note I chatted with my dad last week about this event. He was questioning if he should sponsor the event in some way and was going to talk to his regional rep at Donzi about the matter. I'm not sure if anything will come of this but I told him it would be cool to have some give-away Donzi stuff, banners, flags, and clothing. Come on Donzi, there are boats here out west too.

Thanks for the offer, i'm not gonna be with the Avalanche Club for more than one day(the 20th) i plan on arriving in Flagstaff on Tuesday early morning to go with the group to Grand Canyon and then head up to Lake Powell from there at the end of the Grand Canyon Tour, i'm trying not to drive any extra miles, i get 9 mpg with boat and 12 mpg without.

About two months to go until the starting day of the journey....................:hyper:

TMANN
04-13-2006, 11:42 PM
Fegettes,

What boat are you picking up in Dickenson? Thats my back yard.

TMANN

fegettes
04-14-2006, 10:22 AM
Fegettes,
What boat are you picking up in Dickenson? Thats my back yard.
TMANN
A 22' 95' Blackhawk.

Reedy
04-21-2006, 08:57 AM
Rick, water levels are heading in the right direction! One up, 99 to go.:beer:

RickSE
04-21-2006, 01:38 PM
Ohh yes Reedy.... it's coming in, over 20,000cfs inflow the last few days. I'm heading up on May 19th for our first trip, maybe sooner if I can swing it. Although my boat is still covered up in the back corner of the garage. :(

Yeller, I guess we can stop for beers. I think its pretty fun to get new people in our boats, watch them crack open a beer and try to drink it while underway. They end up wearing half of it.

yeller
04-21-2006, 11:14 PM
Yeller, I guess we can stop for beers. I think its pretty fun to get new people in our boats, watch them crack open a beer and try to drink it while underway. They end up wearing half of it.

Amatuers :rolleyes: :canada:

RickSE
04-26-2006, 01:42 PM
Amatuers :rolleyes: :canada:

Yeller, now you know why they spill their beers, PORPOISE. :dolphin:

I finally called and reserved a slip yesterday, Thurs-Sun. Now I just have to decide if I need a hotel room and slip for Wed. night. The $125 I'd save with no hotel Wed night will buy me almost a full days worth of gas.:banghead:

Avialanche
04-26-2006, 08:29 PM
Rick,
Your're welcome to camp out on my boat weds night, got room in front berth. Note i will have two 85 pound American Bulldog/Pitbull mix twins with me as well, they're very gentle mellow well trained and well behaved dogs.

RickSE
04-27-2006, 02:27 PM
Avialanche, Thanks for the offer but not sure it would work since I'll have my wife and two kids with me. Our normal mode of operation is to camp at Powell so it’s not a big deal. I'm just worried that I'll spend half the day on Thurs moving into the hotel room while you guys are out running around. Maybe a hotel Wed night makes the most sense.

Avialanche
04-27-2006, 09:23 PM
Oh ok...didn't know there was that many people in your party. Your boat must be at max person cap with 4.............if you got cargo/gear and no room, i have extra space for gear.

thriller
04-27-2006, 11:06 PM
Two LE BH's at Powell:boat: I'm Stoked

Avialanche
04-27-2006, 11:23 PM
Two LE BH's at Powell:boat: I'm Stoked

LE BH's...........whats that?

thriller
04-28-2006, 12:26 AM
Fegettes buying a Blackhawk 22'8 Limited Edition...Sweet

We need to compile an ownership list Registry for these Bad Boys:wink:

Avialanche
04-28-2006, 08:53 AM
LE BH's...........whats that?

Oh, Limited Edition BlackHawks

RickSE
04-28-2006, 11:05 AM
2 Blackhawk LE's, a blown 40th, a 500 22SE, a 470HP 18C and a bunch of other beautiful boats. We're gonna rock the lake. I still don't know for sure what FarmerTX is bringing. Did I see a Crit. in one of his photos?

Avialanche, you should see my boat when we pack and camp for 3-4 days on Powell. You wouldn't believe how much stuff you can pack in a 22. :eek: We're heading 35 miles up in mid-May for 3-days; I'll try to take a picture of all the stuff that comes out of the boat. Heck my short bed truck can barely carry all the stuff to the lake. When we go we take everything we need to survive, only buying ice and gas when we need to up lake. It's a lot of work but we enjoy it.

yeller
04-29-2006, 01:53 AM
2 Blackhawk LE's, a blown 40th, a 500 22SE, a 470HP 18C and a bunch of other beautiful boats. We're gonna rock the lake...
Damn! that's a whole lot of speed gonna be there!:eek: That doesn't even include the non-Donzi go-fasts. I better get practicing.:hyper:

Avialanche
04-29-2006, 06:22 AM
Damn! that's a whole lot of speed gonna be there!:eek: That doesn't even include the non-Donzi go-fasts. I better get practicing.:hyper:
With a top speed of 47 mph.........i'm gonna be the slowest of the group:eek!:

yeller
04-29-2006, 10:56 AM
With a top speed of 47 mph.........i'm gonna be the slowest of the group:eek!:
Ya, but you have the best party boat.:pizza: :beer:

Avialanche
04-29-2006, 09:31 PM
Ya, but you have the best party boat.:pizza: :beer:

Yep :yes: , a party boat she is :biggrin::beer:

RickSE
05-04-2006, 03:01 PM
Bummer News.....

The powers that be just released an updated 2006 water level forecast for Powell. April was not a good month for precipitation so the water level predictions for 2006 have been lowered. The new expected high water mark is 3618', current level is 3594'. This will still be a good water year but it means that our chances of getting through the Castle Rock Cut during our trip are pretty much gone.

So to summarize.

Bad News:
No Castle Rock Cut Access.
We'll all use a little more gas when heading up lake.
All the TX guys are selling their boats.:eek:

Good News:
There is still more water then you will ever need.
We get to run the roughest part of the lake when heading up lake.
We get to run the roughest part of the lake when heading back to the hotel.
The lower elevation means Yeller will have less of an advantage over us naturally aspirated guys.:rlol:

farmer tx
05-04-2006, 10:24 PM
Rick, There are worse things than a little low lake level, like maybe selling your Donzi as a couple of unnamed Texans have done. Looking forward to the Powell run.

Mark

yeller
05-04-2006, 11:32 PM
Looks like you might be the lone Texan, FarmerTX.

Rick...any chance at that water level you could walk the boats through the cut?

yeller
05-04-2006, 11:36 PM
...The lower elevation means Yeller will have less of an advantage over us naturally aspirated guys.:rlol:
Me thinks me lack of experience will more than level the playing field. :biggrin:
And I keep tellin' ya, even if I figure it out by then, I'll be following, not leading. Let someone else find the shallow spots. :biggrin: :eek!: :p

gcarter
05-05-2006, 02:44 AM
Looks like you might be the lone Texan, FarmerTX.
I'm a Texan!!!
I just don't live there any more.

RickSE
05-05-2006, 10:28 AM
..any chance at that water level you could walk the boats through the cut?

Maybe... just maybe. If I can I will walk mine through. 3620' is supposed to be the level for safe passage through the cut and I assume it'll be around 3610' by the end of June. The other route is fun it just adds about 5-10 miles one way.

Other options are:

Jump it :eek!:

Dynamite :idea:

It has been dredged before but all the money last year was spent on extending the ramps.

farmer tx
05-10-2006, 10:49 PM
A friend was at Powell last week and said it was rising 3" a day. Is that BS or is that actual. How long will it keep this up, if true. From Waynes web site the lake has come from 3589' on 4/18/06 to 3596' on 5/09/06.

RickSE
05-12-2006, 11:58 AM
3" a day. Is that BS or is that actual.

ACTUAL It's currently at 3"/day going up a foot every 4 days. This should continue for a while as the lake typically fills until early/mid July.

90 deg. at Powell this weekend.

We're heading up next weekend with a couple house boats. I'll try to motor over to Wahweap and get some pictures of the hotel and marina area plus check out the cut.

txtaz
05-12-2006, 05:38 PM
Rick, There are worse things than a little low lake level, like maybe selling your Donzi as a couple of unnamed Texans have done. Looking forward to the Powell run.
Mark
Hey!!!.
At least I sold mine for a new one and not some hot rod that he should have gotten out of his sytem 45 years ago. Wasn't that the muscle care era? At least I still have my hot rod to tool around in.
Next year look out for the "Ultimate 18", this year look for a guy with his thumb out.
Da Taz

gcarter
05-12-2006, 07:46 PM
Hey!!!.
At least I sold mine for a new one and not some hot rod that he should have gotten out of his sytem 45 years ago. Wasn't that the muscle care era? At least I still have my hot rod to tool around in.
Next year look out for the "Ultimate 18", this year look for a guy with his thumb out.
Da Taz
Wes.....
you need a 22.....
not an 18:idea: :lightning :idea: :lightning :)

RickSE
05-13-2006, 11:49 PM
Wes,
So do you have a new one or replacement? Are you still coming over?

txtaz
05-14-2006, 09:34 AM
Rick, The new one won't be ready until next spring. Brandy new 07 model 18 Classic.

I'm not sure if I will make it BUT there is a $20 bet per boat on another site that I won't show by Don. Now if enough people make the bet, I'll show up just to see Don pay up. I helped RTSE loose $20 by going to AOTH.

HEAR that Todd "Rubber Ducky Boy" is coming to your neck of the woods...and catch a ride in the lethargic 22. LOL:biggrin.:

gcarter
05-14-2006, 09:29 PM
Come on everybody....
Let's all tell Wes he really needs a great big new 22to play with and try to beat Don in.:)

Not a tiny little pwc like 18.:yes:

DonCig
05-15-2006, 12:27 AM
Wes, after this coming weekend I bet you are sold on a 20' boat, wanna bet $20.00?

DonCig

RickSE
05-15-2006, 01:00 PM
Wes, I can give you a price on a new 22 ,:rlol: or an 18 for that matter.

txtaz
05-15-2006, 01:28 PM
Rick, PM me your number and I'll give you a call.
Da Taz

yeller
05-15-2006, 09:45 PM
Wes, I can give you a price on a new 22 ,:rlol: or an 18 for that matter.

Yea, but he'll let you know at Lake Powell :biggrin: :biggrin:

RickSE
05-22-2006, 05:33 PM
Just got back from Powell. Had a good weekend, a few issues with the boat but man was the weather nice. It's been hot here the last few weeks so the water has really warmed up on the surface. We put in at Antelope Marina and camped up in Gunsight Bay with some friends and two houseboats. We had our first run in with scorpions on Powell. I think one is folded up in our tent so if anyone wants to borrow a tent you're welcome to it. When the water level started dropping three years ago it exposed a lot of new fresh sandy beaches. Unfortunately now a lot of the weeds have grown down the beaches towards the water line and made the beaches a little more challenging. Still lots of good beaches but you just have to look a little harder. This is one of the only lakes I know of where you have to water ski around tumbleweeds.

Everyone please come prepared for,

Hot sun; lots of sunscreen, coolers for liquids, shade covers, hats, sunglasses.
Hiking/walking in sand, rocks, sandstone and water; good sandals, water shoes.
Wind and anchoring; plenty of anchor rope, Danforth anchors work good here, second anchor or beach stake & rope for the beach.

Here are some pics. I'll put up additional posts irt the marina & hotel.

RickSE
05-22-2006, 05:46 PM
So after pulling off the lake Sunday afternoon we drove around the damn dam and got some pictures around the marina. I've never actually stopped and looked in the hotel, it’s pretty nice. Just be prepared for lots of foreign tourist, they bring them in by the bus load.

Two pools that I could find with some great views. One main restaurant in the hotel and a pizza joint outside. No outside grills though that I could find near the hotel, has to be some in the camp areas though. A big sandy beach behind the hotel that would not be there if the water was up. All in all a nice place.

RickSE
05-22-2006, 05:49 PM
Few More

RickSE
05-22-2006, 05:52 PM
If you have a courtesy slip reserved this is where you'll end up. Again a bit of a walk down the hill with the water being low. The bigger boats who need power & water are on the other side of the main dock. The last picture is of the slip office, just behind the store on the docks.

yeller
05-22-2006, 06:45 PM
...Just be prepared for lots of foreign tourist...

Hmmm...should I take offence to this.:canada: :biggrin.:

Read your other thread. Make sure you get it all worked out soon...you're our guide. :lifeprese

RickSE
05-23-2006, 12:02 PM
Yeller, as long as you don't wear a speedo you're fine.

As for my boat, it'll work, I had it flyin high again after she conked out on me Saturday. We'll probably make one more trip to the lake in a few weeks before our date in June.

I'm more worried about you guys.
Yeller's Bronco is in pieces.
Don's boat is in pieces.
Thriller's wife is having a baby.
Someone else owns TXTAZ's boat.
Someone else owns Reedy's boat.

farmer tx
05-25-2006, 12:42 AM
I've been out of the loop for a few days, but I hope your last post was a typo. Reedy sold his boat??!! I hope you were referring to Richard "BLOW BOAT" Rees. Mark tell me it aint so. Was hopping to see you at Powell.

Mark

DonCig
05-25-2006, 08:59 AM
RickSE, chill out, I will be there.

Don

Reedy
05-25-2006, 10:16 AM
Mark, sorry it is so. Ricks pics are killing me to. I was hoping to have another by June, but it is not looking real good. Wanting to move up to either a 22 Classic or Z21-22. If not this summer, I'll be back next summer.

kd5cue
05-25-2006, 10:19 AM
:us-texas: :us-texas: :us-texas: :us-texas:
I've been out of the loop for a few days, but I hope your last post was a typo. Reedy sold his boat??!! I hope you were referring to Richard "BLOW BOAT" Rees. Mark tell me it aint so. Was hopping to see you at Powell.
Mark
reedy sold his boat,,i bought it,,i plan on being at p k this year....kd5cue

Reedy
05-25-2006, 10:59 AM
Kurt, nice looking boat! I sure do miss her.

kd5cue
05-25-2006, 12:32 PM
Kurt, nice looking boat! I sure do miss her.
yes,,,i took it out 2 times it runs great,,kurt

gcarter
05-25-2006, 01:52 PM
:us-texas: :us-texas: :us-texas: :us-texas:
reedy sold his boat,,i bought it,,i plan on being at p k this year....kd5cue
So, you do your boating at Amistad?

kd5cue
05-25-2006, 02:23 PM
So, you do your boating at Amistad?yeh i only live a mile from nearst boat ramp,,,ikurt

gcarter
05-25-2006, 02:43 PM
That's a beautiful lake. I hope it fills up again some day.

kd5cue
05-25-2006, 03:03 PM
That's a beautiful lake. I hope it fills up again some day.lake is only 6 foot from being full,it filled up last year,,it was 5o feet low for ten or so years,,kurt:us-texas: :us-texas: :us-texas: :us-texas:

RickSE
05-25-2006, 03:25 PM
Don, you're the one who put the pressure on to get this thing rollin so I figured you'd be here one way or the other. So now the million dollar question, will the 18C or the 20 Cig. be at Powell? Are you still planning on coming a little early, Mon-Tues-Wed? I'll be up on Wed unless no one is there yet.

Reedy, sorry for letting the cat out of the bag.

Looks like most of the group is still in tact.

There's a new map at Powell that looks pretty good and is easy to read. It's a waterproof fold out with a recent aerial picture of the lake along with buoys and areas of interest. It looks like a good map and was in the marina store for $15.

I'll bring as much stuff as I can carry in the truck(s), may bring two. This will include two shade covers, a 10' x 10' EZ-UP and a 12' x 12' shade cover anyone can borrow to use on the beach. I'll also bring as many tools as I can carry including my race car tool box, jacks, air tank, drill. You guys are all coming a long way and I want to make sure we can fix just about anything.

farmer tx
05-25-2006, 10:29 PM
Kurt, Very nice and clean boat. It should be a blast on Amastad. The last time I was on that lake was 1982. Looking forward to seeing you at PK.

DonCig
05-25-2006, 11:07 PM
Rick, my classic 18 will be the boat behind my vehicle when we pull in.

Don

thriller
05-29-2006, 01:29 AM
Man...I am so ramped up about this event....Still no baby...HELLO...Are you in there..Time to come out and go boating with MOM and DAD...

1 week overdue today..Yikes. How long does it take to get a birth certificate to cross the line?

If we can we will be going to this with a 5 day old baby...Just hope you don't get the room next to us...WWAAAAHHHH WAAHHHHHH...:biggrin:

Cigars and Diapers are packed....

RickSE
05-30-2006, 04:40 PM
Thriller, induce induce. The Doc's here are induce happy due to the elevation. Our daughter was booted out a week early by the doctor for not gaining weight.

The inflow to Powell is crankin now, 40,000 cfs. We're getting close to the 1'/day mark and the elevation is currently around 3605'.

I scrolled back to try and figure out when everyone was coming and came up with the following,

DonCig, Wed-21 or Thurs-22
GCarter, Thurs-22
FarmerTX, Tues-20 or Wed-21
Verdugo, Thurs-22
Avialanche, Tues-20
ZXGUY, Thurs-22
Fegettes, Thurs-22
Yeller, Wed-21?
Thriller, ?
Lenny, ?
Trueser, ?
TMANN, ?

I'm still up in the air but will be there for sure by Thursday morning. I wanted to see how many people plan on being there before Thrus. to determine if I should head up on Wednesday.

yeller
05-30-2006, 05:18 PM
Thriller, get her to start drinking Syn, that should help the kid slide out. :jestera: I give your wife the highest of admiration for even thinking about coming to Powell so soon after giving birth.

Rick, I was going to come Wed, leave Mon but not sure now. Definately be there by Thur morning. Will be leaving Sun night.

farmer tx
05-30-2006, 11:55 PM
Mike the big "O" will jump start them every time.:eek:

Lenny
05-31-2006, 12:52 AM
I think Poodle and Heidi should fly in for two days... see something completely new, what do you guys think?

thriller
05-31-2006, 02:00 AM
Baby Girl:smileybo: Baby Girl:fire: :smileybo: Baby Girl

Were going, The game is On..Last time I looked the Blackhawk was heading south without me:)

Still need a lightweight shotgun spotter...How much does Ed weigh? Poodle is too Heavy with that Leather Coat and all. He's out:yes:

farmer tx
05-31-2006, 10:11 AM
Told ya it would work. See Y'ALL at Powell.

yeller
05-31-2006, 10:33 AM
CONGRADULATIONS!!!!!! http://www.donzi.net/forums/images/smilies/party.gif
Told you a couple quarts of Syn would do the trick. :jestera:
Glad you're going to make Powell. The more, the merrier.
Poodle should definitely fly out. How bout they fly to BC 1st and we show them the NW as well. If they rented a vehicle to tow it, I still have my 16.

RickSE
05-31-2006, 07:57 PM
I may also need an occasional passenger(s), not sure if I can keep up with you guys with the kids in the boat. I've got them broke in pretty good to about 50 in the rough water and in the 60's for the normal stuff. The wife can take 75 though.

Thriller, you don't need no spotter here. Besides the rocks and other boats about the biggest thing you'll hit is tumbleweed. Just stay in the middle and put the hammer down.

Yeller I'll come pick you up if you pay for the gas. :idea: I'll even bring a yellow truck. Lets see ((1600 miles x 4) /12 MPG) x $3.15/gallon = hey only $1,700.

I'm gonna be sitting on the side of Hwy 89 Thursday morning waving a big black Donzi flag. I sat through Project Management training all day today and all I could think about was a pack of Donzi's running the channel on Powell. "Look honey, there's a black one, a yellow one, another black one, a white one, a blue one, yet another black one, blue one, red one and another red one...... where in the hell are they all coming from"...

Poodle, Lenny is calling you out. Besides don't I owe you a ride?

yeller
05-31-2006, 11:59 PM
Yeller I'll come pick you up if you pay for the gas. I'll even bring a yellow truck. Lets see ((1600 miles x 4) /12 MPG) x $3.15/gallon = hey only $1,700. That might just be worth it. A designated driver both ways. Can you make it a motorhome. I'd like to be able nap if I get too tired tellin ya how to drive. :jestera: Not to worry Rick, I'll find a vehicle. I've actually found a candidate, but it's the Ford plum purple from the 90's. People'd think I was color blind, towing a bright yellow boat with purple truck. :eek:
Only 3 weeks left!:yippie: Could you fine tune the list you made earlier of what to bring and repost.
How far from the nearest town will we be? Need to know how much:beer: to bring. ;) Will we have to buy our gas from the marinas?

RickSE
06-01-2006, 06:34 PM
My co worker has a purple Ford but he says it's blue, ya right.

My old yellow Chevy actually has a camper but then the mileage drops to 7-8 MPG. There's no napping in this truck. It has 5 gas tanks and holds 110 gallons of gas, range well over 1,000 miles. You just put your foot in the gas and go for as long as your body can take. It's great for driving through those states with high gas prices.

I'll work on the list and repost.

The town of Page is 15 minutes from the lake. Not the biggest town but it does have a Super Walmart, supermarkets, gas, food, etc.

If I can get through each day on a tank of gas I'll pull the boat out at night and fill it on land. I'm thinking I'll still have to buy on the water occasionally though for the longer runs. Gas on land should be in the $2.90/gallon range. Gas on the water is $3.91 right now near Wahweap to $4.31 up lake, $3.15 on land at the marina.

RickSE
06-02-2006, 07:08 PM
Most may have already figured this out but here is some info on getting to Powell/Wahweap. In the first picture there are two ways to get to Wahweap off Highway 89 (red line).

Coming from the North turn left at the State Line entrance (yellow line) and follow the road in to Wahweap. There is an additional ramp called State Line NW of Wahweap, don't go there, follow the signs to Wahweap. If you miss the State Line turn off you can go onto the next entrance (blue line).

Coming from the South, you'll come through Page, over the dam bridge and then take the first entrance on the right to the lake (blue line), should be marked "Wahweap". Just follow the signs straight in, pretty simple.

At the hotel there is trailer parking on either side of the road. The parking on the South side of the road usually fills up first then spills over into the North side, but the North side is actually closer to the hotel. For the North side parking lots turn left at the first entrance off the main road, if you turn in at the next one, to the hotel, you can't get back into the trailer parking lot and have to go back out on the main road. With the water level down they also allow trailer parking on the North side of the ramp. It's usually full in the summer but you can get lucky. The hotel is pretty obvious, main ramp is right next to the hotel and the courtesy slips are down the hill on the main dock.

There are maned pay stations on both roads when you come into the park. You'll pay two fees, $15/vehicle for 7-days and $16/boat for 7-days. Keep your receipts since you'll probably end up going out of the park and coming back in at some point. If you think you'll come back there are yearly passes available, $30 each for vehicle & trailer. If you have a Golden Eagle or Golden Access Pass bring it, 50% discount. Again they'll probably ask if the boat has been East of the Mississippi; if so they'll want to pressure wash it.

I think that's about it for getting there. The ramp can get busy on the weekends. The State Line ramp can be used as an alternate but I don't think we'll have any problems. The Wahweap ramp is big, 8 or more lanes wide with brand new concrete at the water line. Worst part is the walk up to and down from the hotel due to the water level being down.

RickSE
06-05-2006, 12:00 PM
Sorry for all the posts but I want to get this stuff off my brain.

If you're coming from the North on I-15 there are two roads to avoid when crossing over to Hwy. 89.

Don't take Hwy. 14 East at Cedar City. The pass and road sucks with a trailer. Plus there are no directions to Hwy. 14 at Cedar City.

Don't take Hwy. 9 through Zion National Park. Again the pass and road sucks with a trailer and I'm told you may even get turned around at the Zion park entrance with a trailer.

Hwy. 20 is good but does have a pretty good pass to climb when heading South, very good road though. This route worked well for me when I went to Canada.

I've been told that the easiest towing route is to go through Hurricane then Colorado City then Fredonia to Hwy. 89 at Kanab. This is a longer distance though then the Hwy. 20 route and I'm not sure how well the route is marked.

I like Hwy. 20, it's a short jump to 89 and clearly marked. Also, if you come across Hwy. 89 past Kanab at night look out for deer on the road.

Coming from the South, Hwy. 89 North of Flagstaff is a little tricky. This is a two lane road across the reservation, so there's not much out there. The North half of the road can be like a roller coaster, lots of whoop-tee-doos. There are quite a few passing lane sections established on the highway and my advice is to be patient and wait for a passing lane if you need to pass. I come up on locals every time I'm on the road and believe me they're not in a hurry to get anywhere. All in all though not a bad road and I can usually run this road at 70-MPH without any major problems, drive time is about 2 1/2 hours from Flag.

thriller
06-08-2006, 02:21 PM
Confirmation #13J2V0
Arriving Thursday the 22nd, departing Monday the 26th
Lakeview,Non-Smoking room

Rick, Not sure if you can confirm the non smoking thing or not but it is a must or my bride will simply go balistic. Also,,you may want to locate us in an end unit or an area away from the late night noise as my baby and Mommy will need their ZZZZZZZZZZ'''s. Not me though, Lenny and I will be the last to bed and first to rise:D

Can't wait!:moped:

Lenny
06-08-2006, 07:59 PM
Also,,you may want to locate us in an end unit or an area away from the late night noise as my baby and Mommy will need their ZZZZZZZZZZ'''s. Not me though, Lenny and I will be the last to bed and first to rise:D

Got that right. I am just a little dissapointed that I don't feel secure enough to venture out on my own. I can just see it, launching and HAVING to go on my own for a MOP style AM ride, and taking off the entire transom on some "thing" underwater due to unfamiliarity. :(

It's all good tho. Gotta love the mystery of the ride :D

25 gallon tank, 40 GPH WOT,... hope we stay close to the Mothership :)

I am on a Gulf Island on Sunday, Monday and Tuesday installing two bathrooms, a double laundry room and a large wood/granite kitchen. It should be nutz to say the least. I am coming back from the Island on Tuesday eve, dropping off the rented 5 ton, sleeping a bit, and getting up on Wednesday, hooking up the boat, packing nothing, other than the boat, and running straight, non-stop to Arizona. 26 hours later, I should be there. See you on Thursday about 4-6 pm. :D ... or not, maybe just a phone call from the Grand Canyon somewhere with a tranny or motor on the side of the road. :D

It WILL be fun. ;)

yeller
06-09-2006, 12:06 AM
Lenny, Lenny, Lenny, are you nuts man! Sure you couldn't get out a bit earlier. That's a pretty tight schedule. :frown:

RickSE
06-09-2006, 12:07 AM
Bring a good anchor with chain and a long rope. I use a Danforth anchor, attached to 10'-15' of 1/2" chain on a 3/8” 100' anchor line. A steel beach stake with another long rope(s). You can probably get away with less anchor if you don't plan on an extended stay on a beach, Just be prepared for winds.

You can pull up on the beaches at Powell without too much damage but I always anchor my boat out off the beach in deeper water. Just watch for rocks in or under the sand if you nose up.

Bumpers and dock lines are obvious. Most of the docks are pretty good you just have to watch out for the high docks that are set up for the houseboats. Our boats will go right under the bump rails on these high docks.

A good pair of sandals, Teva's. There can be stickers on the beaches and sandals help on the sandstone.

Sunglasses, hats, sunscreen. I rarely ever use a towel at Powell unless it's early or late summer.

Anchor shades are great when you pull up into a canyon to sit or putt around. I also use mine a lot when heading in for gas, keeps the sun off you in the no wake zone and at the fuel dock.

The main channel is well marked, red and green mile marker buoys all the way up. The red right return direction is heading up lake from the south end. You seldom find red and green buoys together, usually only one. I just run buoy to buoy, pass one then look for the next one. If you're driving and don't see any buoys then you're lost and off the main channel. Almost all the major side canyons are marked with a white buoy naming the canyon. There are no additional buoys beyond the canyon buoys, no navigational or hazard buoys. You're on your own, no big deal though only one way in and out of the side canyons. Boaters sometimes mark hazards with milk jugs on their own, in the side canyons but you really need to watch out off the main channel. There are a lot of under water buttes, spires, shelves and mounds at Powell. If you hit something chances are it will be rock and not sand. I usually stay in the middle and watch the water for color changes. The water is pretty clear, green or turquoise in color. The water will lighten or turn tan in color if the water gets shallow. Hazards are marked in the main channel with the typical white w/black diamond buoys. Powell has almost no floating debris hazards, tumbleweeds are about it. Don't worry if you pay attention while running and follow some ground rules you'll be fine, don't take short cuts unless you've been through an area before, run in the middle, wide turns around corners and bends, watch the shore line, flat shore = shallow water, steep shore = deep water. I'm sure it's stuff you all already practice.

Watch out for the tour boat wakes. They run up and down the main channel every 1 to 1/2 hour and put out monster wakes.

Boating regs. are about the same as everywhere else. There are noise laws here but I've never seen them test on Powell.

Toilets, If you camp on a beach and are not near a park toilet, 200 yards or so, by law you have to have an approved toilet receptacle with you. We carry a porta pottie. There are floating restrooms on the lake. One at mile 22, next one at mile 51. Don't worry about this unless you really think you need it or plan on an overnight beach stay. We don't carry one while running around.

You need two people in a boat and an orange flag to water ski.

Yeller asked me to repost a list of things I thought you might need. This is an edited post from before. Some of the other things are pretty obvious,

chairs
coolers
lights
VHF (hand held is all I have)
cell phone
boat cleaning towels (Powell water is hard)
beach shades (I'll have 2 if someone needs one)

The biggest thing to prepare for is the sun and dry air, sunscreen, lip balm, white T-shirts, hat, sunglasses, water. We apply sunscreen multiple times per day.

I'm planning on bringing a small propane grill to cook some of our own food if needed.

Lenny, you're crazy man. At first I thought you meant this Sunday but soon realized it's next Sunday. Please call me if you're close and have any problems. I have a 12,000lb 18' flatbed with winch and an additional truck that will be sitting in Flagstaff if anyone has problems. My cell number is on the Powell attending post. Don't worry about the water you'll be fine. I'll bring an extra 5-gallon fuel jug if someone needs it. Remember there are gas stations at Wahweap, mile 10 and mile 40. 25 gallons should get you 70-75 miles with a small block??

The BOR just lowered the high water mark again this week, new high is expected to be around 3613', currently at 3608'. The inflow peaked last week but Powell will continue to fill for the next 3-4 weeks. The Castle Rock Short Cut is now out of the question for this year so we'll have to go around the long way for up lake excursions. The area around Wahweap is not all that great for boating, too many people cruising around.

Thriller, I can try to check. They are supposed to be trying to keep our group in the same area of the hotel.

Lenny
06-09-2006, 01:20 AM
Yeller/Rick... If you knew HOW MANY kitchens and projects I currently have, you would have a jammer. About 5 homes, none close in proximatey, a few Commercial jobs in Vancouver, and one in Pt. Roberts, USA (where the Corsican is :D :D :D )

This is definately the worst, most tight, most impossible schedule my business has ever been in. Of the 40+ odd boxes to be created and installed for next weekend (June 17-18-19) I have about 12 made.
I have 450 "shelves" for a local supplier due on MONDAY, yes, 3 days from now. My 9 (soon 10) years old Daughters Birthday to do on Sunday, this weekend. I have to go to Vancouver and deliver another kitchen on Saturday afternoon, this will get me back on Vancouver Island about midnight, and I have to prefield a new Library in White Rock, B.C. ( again in Vancouver and a ferry away) for a Municipality, (cuz I did their last one, and they still like it).

These are the most screwed up timetable/business committments I have EVER had to deal with. I have about 3 UNFINISHED KITCHENS in town as well, and about $30K sitting on the table for over 3 months cuz I can't get back to finish them and Final Invoice the jobs.

Yes Yeller, it is NUTZ. :yes: Beyond NUTZ.

Looking forward to blowing up my boat in Arizona tho :D

Trueser
06-09-2006, 10:38 AM
Ok we just got the 22 back together. test run this weekend.

NOt sure when we are leaving yet. reservations booked.

thriller
06-09-2006, 11:25 AM
[and one in Pt. Roberts, USA (where the Corsican is :D :D :D )

You mean, Was

RickSE
06-12-2006, 11:58 AM
I'd like to propose somewhat of an agenda.

Thursday 22nd:
Most will probably be arriving so I'm not sure what all we can do this day. My thought is to keep it simple, explore Wahweap Bay (http://elakepowell.com/freds/wahweap.htm) and get to know the area around the hotel, Lone Rock Beach, Glen Canyon Dam, Marina. Then maybe head up lake a little and into Navajo Canyon (http://elakepowell.com/freds/navajo.htm). Navajo is pretty big and may eat up a lot of time if you really want to see it. Another option is Warm Creek (http://elakepowell.com/freds/warmcree.htm); I've not been in Warm Creek for years though but it's close to Wahweap.

Friday 23rd:
Everyone should be here. I suggest we take off and hit the Padre Bay (http://elakepowell.com/freds/padre.htm) area, Labyrinth Canyon, Gunsight, Cookie Jar and maybe Face. This is a big area with lots of stuff to explore. The next cool canyon up is West Canyon (http://elakepowell.com/freds/rockcree.htm). This is a long ever narrowing slot canyon, 1 by 1 follow the leader all the way in the back, and it just keeps going and going. Then if you guys still want to go further, up to Rainbow Bridge (http://elakepowell.com/freds/rainbow.htm) in Forbidding Canyon with a prior stop at Dangling Rope Marine for ice cream and fuel. If we still can push on I'd suggest Anasazi Canyon (http://elakepowell.com/freds/sanjuan.htm) a few miles up from Rainbow. This is plenty for one day so then we turn around for a 50-mile run back to Wahweap stopping at Dangling Rope again if we need to for gas. If you include Rainbow & Anasazi along with all the other stuff around Padre we're looking at probably at least 150-miles for the day.

Saturday 24th:
I'm not sure how you guys would feel about this but I'd like to go up into Escalante (http://elakepowell.com/freds/escalant.htm). This is by far one of the coolest areas on the entire lake with lots and lots of majestic scenery. A warning though if we decide to do this it will be a long haul and a full day. The turn off for Escalante is at mile 68 (76 miles from Wahweap). Topping off the fuel tanks at Dangling Rope Marine (48 miles from Wahweap) on the way up is pretty much a requirement. Once in the Escalante arm we could potentially cover another 20-30 miles in the side canyons. Round trip, we're probably looking at 180-190 miles. Again I'm not sure, maybe this is too much. The newer boats with bigger tanks can do this but the older smaller tank guys like Lenny would really have to watch fuel or ride with others. It is doable though and I'm game if you guys are. Otherwise we could take some of the stuff off of Friday like Rainbow & Anasazi and maybe go up a little further.

Sunday 25th:
Maybe wind down a little especially if we go all the way up to Escalante on Sat. Maybe back into Navajo and Padre Bay.

Well anyway, think about it and if you have time take a look at some of the canyon information. I'll go where ever you guys want to go. I have some friends beach camping Fri-Sun in Gunsight with a house boat and I'm hoping they can snag one of the better beaches so we can pull up one day and hang out.

Also, the extended forecast is starting to approach our dates. Right now the forecast for Wed. 21st is sunny and 98 deg.
What kind of beer do you guys drink? :beer:

yeller
06-12-2006, 08:46 PM
What kind of beer do you guys drink? :beer: COLD!! :biggrin:

As I've never been to Powell, anywhere we go will be new and exciting for me. I will check your links out, though.

thriller
06-12-2006, 11:08 PM
Too Much? Escalante?

heck, Yeller that's like two hours of boating for you. That leaves 6 hours of drinking beer.:beer:

I'm stoked!

RickSE
06-12-2006, 11:26 PM
Fat Tire, Hefe, Sunshine, Oak Creek. I gotta have beer with some taste. I'll try and grab some local stuff for samples.

Yeller, I hate to keep asking you but................. Did you get a freakin truck yet? :umbrella:

Thriller, say it like you mean it, Escaaalanteeeeeee

Now I just need to find 30 sombreros. :sombrero:

Lenny
06-13-2006, 12:11 AM
I'm not sure how you guys would feel about this but I'd like to go up into Escalante (http://elakepowell.com/freds/escalant.htm). This is by far one of the coolest areas on the entire lake with lots and lots of majestic scenery. A warning though if we decide to do this it will be a long haul and a full day. The turn off for Escalante is at mile 68 (76 miles from Wahweap). Topping off the fuel tanks at Dangling Rope Marine (48 miles from Wahweap) on the way up is pretty much a requirement. Once in the Escalante arm we could potentially cover another 20-30 miles in the side canyons. Round trip, we're probably looking at 180-190 miles. Again I'm not sure, maybe this is too much. The newer boats with bigger tanks can do this but the older smaller tank guys like Lenny would really have to watch fuel or ride with others.

Ya think !!! Am I allowed to tow a dinghy full of gas behind the boat Rick? My best is about 80 miles and that is PUSHING it, and requires a semi "non- suicidal" throttle hand. :( Might be docking it for that day :( )

yeller
06-13-2006, 12:47 AM
Lenny...dock the boat after driving 26hrs non stop. I don't think so!!! It all sounds pretty cool Rick, but honestly, if we all can't take our boats, I don't think we should go.

heck, Yeller that's like two hours of boating for you. That leaves 6 hours of drinking beer. Now you're talking!!!!!! :p

Rick...looked at a couple more trucks tonight. I've never been very quick with the decisions. Have no fear, I'll be there even if I have to bring it rickshaw style. :cool:

Verdugo
06-13-2006, 08:37 AM
Rick,

We love the agenda. We are really looking forward in comming up and meeting the gang.

Engine is in and ready to roll

Lowenski Donzi C16 97

gcarter
06-13-2006, 09:02 AM
Beer = gout!!! Ug:yes: :bawling:

ZXGUY
06-13-2006, 01:24 PM
O.K.
HAD A CHANCE TO LOOK AT THIS THREAD TODAY TO SEE WHATS GOING ON.
1. HOW MANY CONFIRMED BOATS ARE GOING INCLUDING THE THREE IN OUR GROUP?
2. HOW MANY BOATS ARE CAMPING OUT ON THE LAKE?
3. IF PEOPLE ARE CAMPING OUT DOES ANYONE HAVE A PLAN?
OUR GROUP WILL ARRIVE THE EVENING OF THE 22nd, BE IN THE HOTEL ROOM (OR BAR, OR COCKTAILS ON THE PATIO)THE 22nd, LAUNCH THE MORNING OF THE 23rd, SPEND THE NIGHT ON THE LAKE THE 23rd & 24th, BACK TO THE HOTEL FOR THE NIGHT OF THE 25th, AND DEPART THE MORNING OF THE 26th. NOT SURE YET WHERE WE WILL BE OVER-NIGHTING, BUT, ARE DISCUSSING SOMETHING UP TOWARDS OR JUST PAST DANGLING ROPE. CLOSE TO DANGLING ROPE WILL MAKE IT EASY TO RE-STOCK ON ICE. IF YOU GUYS FIRM UP A PLAN FOR A DAY OF CRUISING LET US KNOW. WE WILL PROBABLY TRY TO FIND A COVE EARLY FRIDAY MORNING, SPEND THE REST OF FRIDAY ON THE BEACH AND BE READY FOR THE LAKE CRUISE ON SATURDAY, DEPENDING ON THE QUANITY OF BEER, MUDSLIDES, MARGARITAS, AND ASSORTED COCKTAILS FRIDAY NIGHT!
STARTING TO GET EXCITED ABOUT THE TRIP! LONG RANGE WEATHER FORCAST LOOKS LIKE GREAT CONDITIONS!

thriller
06-13-2006, 02:57 PM
Mike (Thriller) Miller
Christine Miller
Braeden Miller 6yrs old
Katie Miller a couple of weeks old:spit:

confirmed rsrv Waheap Resort.

22'8" Blackhawk LE:boat:

yeller
06-13-2006, 03:47 PM
1. HOW MANY CONFIRMED BOATS ARE GOING INCLUDING THE THREE IN OUR GROUP?
According to the following thread, only RickSE and myself are going. :biggrin: :biggrin: http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=45157 I had a hard time keeping track of who was actually going so I started the other thread but it's not doing to well. :)
I haven't done an accurate count, but it looks like about 10 Donzis and possibly 2~3 non-Donzis.

2. HOW MANY BOATS ARE CAMPING OUT ON THE LAKE?I don't believe anyone is actually camping. I think everyone is getting a room except Availanche. He is getting a slip and staying on his boat.

RickSE
06-13-2006, 05:57 PM
Lenny, leave Wahweap and top off at Dangling Rope, abt. 50-miles. The roundtrip from Dangling Rope to the Escalante arm entrance is 56-miles leaving you a reserve of 15 to 20-miles to explore Escalante. Top off again on the way back at Dangling Rope. Can you carry an extra 5-gallon jug, or two? I'll bring a 5-gallon race jug.

Yeller is right; we should not leave a boat behind. All or nothin.

My thoughts have been that we'll work our way further up the lake every day, but it's only my thoughts and others may have other plans. I'm open to whatever you guys want to do. Plus putting Escalante off until Saturday will give us a chance to evaluate the trip; it'll be worth it if we decide to go. Coming out of and returning to Wahweap every day adds a lot of miles but it'll work, plus I won't stink after 2-days without a shower.

ZXGUY,
This is the list I had in my head the other day,

RickSE, 22C
DonCig, 18C
Yeller, 22C
Thriller, 22C
Lenny, X-18
Verdugo, 16C
Availanche, 27Z
GCarter, boatless
Trueser, 22C
FarmerTX, 22C
fegettes, 22C
Yourself and the Hallets
Maybe a few Las Vegas Hot Boat members, a Fountain, Cig, Formula, Nordic and 22ZX

Ditto to what Yeller said, think just about everyone is in the hotel.

I have some friends heading to Gunsight Wednesday & Friday morning. Since they'll probably grab one of the better beaches we’ll probably try to find them on Friday so we have a place to pull up. If they get the same beach we had a few weeks ago they'll be on the right hand side going in just past Gunsight Butte. They'll be in a newer white & gray 75' houseboat with a few runabouts around. Otherwise I guess we'll kind of stick to the plan??

Formula Jr
06-19-2006, 05:04 AM
You guys are gonna love Lake Powell. Your necks are going to hurt from all the upward gazing and surreal sandstone formations. Be careful though of the blind corners in the smaller canyons. You can't just completely depend on the Port to Port convention of navigation. Listen to Rick about this and follow in line. And if you are walking on a dirt trail and it has a bunch of small holes in the dirt, those are stinging bee nests. They are nasty and will follow you.

I hope that at least once on this trip you walk up out of the canyon and really feel how out in the middle of nowhere you are: A horizon un-broken by power-lines or roads or any human structures, except ancient ones, for as far as the eyes can see.

thriller
06-19-2006, 11:12 AM
Rick,

My cell is 604-690-2798 or Nextel Mic is 604*690*2798*
I have all your info on directions and things to bring. We will be on the road at 0830 to Bellingham to pick up the boat . We hope to make Boise on our first day, then an overnight in Salt Lake on Wednesday night with an arrival to Powell Thursday afternoon. if you guys go out Thursday, let us know where to find ya...Can't Wait...

Mike

RickSE
06-19-2006, 01:25 PM
OK Mike. I've got your number in my phone and will keep an eye out for you Thursday afternoon, maybe give you a ring mid-day Thursday.

Has anyone heard from Lenny?

Formula Jr., I was hoping that you might just show up unannounced and out of the blue on this trip. Maybe next time?? I'd like to meet you and see the Jr. one of these days.

I started getting ready yesterday but already feel a day behind. I can only imagine what you long haul guys are going through. Good luck to everyone in your travels. Drive safe and I'll see you in a couple of days.

Since we lost a few posts here's the weather again.

Wed., sunny, 98/71, 0% chance of precip.
Thurs, sunny, 99/72, 20%
Fri, mostly sunny, 101/70, 20%
Sat, partly cloudy, 100/73, 20%
Sun, mostly sunny, 98/74, 20%

Again my cell number is, 928-607-7564

Trueser
06-19-2006, 04:49 PM
heading out the door .

My cell
708 9128224

yeller
06-20-2006, 02:41 AM
Well I'm a day late. Was supposed to leave early Mon morning, but it didn't happen. Way too much to do. Didn't even get a chance to clean the boat. :mad: Leaving Tue morning, hoping to be in Page Wed night. If I make my new schedule, I'll up bright and early Thurs to clean the boat and then up to Powell. :yes:

Cell: 604-968-6955

DonCig
06-20-2006, 08:37 AM
News Flash!

Mr. Green (aka Lenny) will probably be driving my 18' while I am dialing in the spark advance and the carb settings.

Doing some homework I have come up with the following assumptions that should hold close to true at Lake Powell.

WOT - fuel consumption will be 40 gallons per hour or 2 mpg for a range of 80 miles.
Best MPG Cruise - 3,000 rpm cruise should be approx. 2.5 - 3.0 mpg or a range of 100 - 120 miles.
It appears that most small 5,000 rpm runabouts hit best mpg at around 2,500 to 3,500 rpm. I have not done any testing but I would expect no more than a .5-1.0 mpg gain.

Lake Powell should be an excellent testing ground.

Don

RickSE
06-20-2006, 09:50 AM
Don, are we the only ones left not on the road? This has been an interesting last few weeks.

Someone ran into the back of Trueser's boat and messed his drive up a few days ago. :boggled:
Thriller's wife just had a baby. :)
Yeller just bought a truck a couple days ago to pull his boat down. :yes:
Lenny got the Flu. http://www.donzi.net/forums/images/smilies/puke.gif
Verdugo's throttle cable & shifter just broke on Sunday. :bonk:
Don's motor was sitting on an engine stand up until a few days ago. :cool!:

And yet all of the above are still coming. :superman:

I have my boat here at work for a lunchtime test run and then it's time to wash, wax, shop, pack and prep to go, just need to fit sleep in there somewhere. I have a meeting tomorrow morning from 9-noon then if I can finish getting ready I'll head up Wed. night, if not then first thing Thurs. morning.

It's gonna be HOT guys.

DonCig
06-22-2006, 01:08 AM
Rick, I pulled it off!
The motor is in, the boat is rigged, the engine runs, and we are half way packed. I expect to arrive tomorrow around 6 p.m.

Don