View Full Version : 1983 27 squadron

DAULEY
09-25-2005, 09:35 PM
well i guess its time to start restoring the 27 squadron i bought last winter
need some advice from you all
the boat is the last squadron 27 buildt and it also has a cigarette hin #
just when don bought back cigarette i think
the boat is disassembled deck off gas tank out motor out drive and trans out
my question is should i keep the trs and trans and have it rebuilt or go bravo xr
keep original gauges or go new
am having a 575 motor built
getting boat ready to regel bottom
having k planes reworked and powder coated
will repaint side graphs
what do you all think
thanks for your imput
BOB

Dave911
09-26-2005, 12:05 AM
IMHO, I'd go the Hot-Rod route. She'll always have classic Cig lines, but I'd strip her down and put in nice modern controls and gauges. I did the same with my '72 sutphen and have not regretted it once bit.

As for the mechanicals, I leave that up to others, as I'm not sure about swapping a TRS with tranny to a Bravo XR (or other).

Good luck. Dave

magnum27
09-26-2005, 11:10 AM
I did just what you are jumping into and I just took mine out for the second time ever this past weekend. It took three years to get to this point. I started with an old Magnum sport and removed the deck and gas tanks. Installed a brand new 2003 starfire deck and regelled the entire boat black. I also converted it from twin small blocks to a single 540 with Mercury racing I.T.S. transom with a 7 inch setback and an XZ bravo drive. Well the boat is an animal in ruff water and I think it is much better ballanced this way. It requires very little trim and people cannot believe it's an antique. I used all new billet hardware, Livorsi Monster series gauges and a sitdown cockpit instead of bolsters. So I say get rid of the old stuff and make a new boat out of it. TRS parts are going to get expensive and harder to find as time goes by since they qquite making replacement parts. Good luck with your project and here are a few pics of mine less engine hatch. Let me know if I can answer any questions or help out anyway I can.

magnum27
09-26-2005, 11:12 AM
here is a pic of the first time in the water

Woodsy
09-26-2005, 11:23 AM
Bob...

As the boat is already set up for TRS... may I suggest you look into the Konrad Drives... they have gotten some pretty good reviews over on OSO and will bolt up to your existing holes. No need to redo your hyd steering.

Woodsy

PS: they are allegedly 5mph faster than the old TRS setup...

DAULEY
09-26-2005, 06:14 PM
thanks dave magnum and woodsy for your imput
as far as the drive bolting up i an regeling the transom and bottom i donot like the height of the exhaust so i need to plug that so plugging the rest of transom is in the scope of things
tried to post a pix of deck off but its to big will try to down size it
keep the imput comming
thanks again
BOB

seano
09-27-2005, 11:55 AM
thanks dave magnum and woodsy for your imput
as far as the drive bolting up i an regeling the transom and bottom i donot like the height of the exhaust so i need to plug that so plugging the rest of transom is in the scope of things
tried to post a pix of deck off but its to big will try to down size it
keep the imput comming
thanks again
BOB

Bob,

Cool boat! Best of luck with the resto and keep the pics coming! If you want to email them to me, I can resize them for you. my email address is seano30@yahoo.com

Have you thought about a Stellings TRS/Bravo extension box? No need to fill the transom and it'll give you some setback. I spoke to Randy at Stellings and I'm going to be doing my Cafe Racer with those boxes. The transom side is not drilled, so you can set the x dimension at what ever height you want.

my personal choice on a boat like this is to go the restomod route like magnum27 has done, but if you needt TRS drives/gimbals...I've got two sets :)

lars
12-23-2006, 09:34 PM
Happy Holidays Bob!
Must say that You're definetely a hero of mine for starting the production of the Legends Performance Boats. Still wonder what choices You made as for as the restoration of the 1983. I love the profile of that boat and the old graphics scheme compliments it very nicely. Did You go stock? And last, but not least, do You have some pictures of the new 24 or 27 to brighten up the holidays for us fans?

DAULEY
12-24-2006, 09:26 AM
here some of the 24still working on the 27
we are taking orders on the 24 and will be taking orders on the 27 in june
also have some great boat show pricing on the 24 if interested let me know
pixs under alpha ss post #13 i tried to post them but it will not let me because they are already in another post
happy holidays to all and my your wishes all come true this holiday season

Hangtime
12-28-2006, 05:30 PM
My 1982 27'

MikeyFIN
12-28-2006, 05:44 PM
well i guess its time to start restoring the 27 squadron i bought last winter
need some advice from you all
the boat is the last squadron 27 buildt and it also has a cigarette hin #
just when don bought back cigarette i think
the boat is disassembled deck off gas tank out motor out drive and trans out
my question is should i keep the trs and trans and have it rebuilt or go bravo xr
keep original gauges or go new
am having a 575 motor built
getting boat ready to regel bottom
having k planes reworked and powder coated
will repaint side graphs
what do you all think
thanks for your imput
BOB

Try to keep it period correct..you could change to black SW or such gages with narrow chrome trim rings and instead of TRS put a SSM2-5 in it or go Arneson ASD7 TRS conversion plus the engine..that you can hotrod anyway you like as long as it looks old school with aluminum finned merc style valvecovers etc... you now what I mean :wink:

DAULEY
12-28-2006, 07:45 PM
hang time
did you get that
27 in miami from a guy in newyork last spring
bob

Hangtime
12-29-2006, 09:09 AM
Bob-

Yes I did. Tom actually kept it down at TNT and almost never used it. He also owns a Cig 20 (he was at the Cig 20 reunion with the big motorhome), a Gladiator, a Tiger and a Maximus. TNT and Lipship did a great job on my boat, it looks like a brand new boat and runs like a raped ape.

-Dan

DAULEY
12-29-2006, 09:21 AM
dan
nice find love to see more pixs
be sure to bring it to the mich gathering in aug
bob

BUIZILLA
12-29-2006, 09:29 AM
there is still another original owner Squadron down here...

DAULEY
12-29-2006, 09:33 AM
jim
post some pixs if you can

dclassic
07-16-2007, 12:37 AM
How's the Cig coming? Such a nice find, would love to see more pics. How about some Legend pics and info as well? Hope all is well, keep up the good work.