PDA

View Full Version : WTB engine hatch for a 22C? Also- supercharging a 454?

zimm17
09-25-2005, 11:05 AM
Typical Sunday daydreaming- but can one buy an extra engine hatch for a 22 classic to cut a hole in to make room for a blower? Wonder what they cost? I don't want to mess up the orginal hatch.

I attended a hotboat get-together at Lake Anna, VA last weekend and after being around dozens of supercharged hotboats, I got the itch to whipple or roots charge the 454 mag in my boat someday. The carb setup is much cheaper than the low profile EFI unversal model. The only way it would fit would be to have an opening in the engine hatch though.

Maybe a roots type with dual quads would be really cool. When the 454 mag blows, I would build up a monster long block to put under the blower.

Anyone done this or have pictures?

Or just tell me it's a complete waste of time and money and it'll ruin my boat and I can save some money...

ChromeGorilla
09-25-2005, 12:38 PM
If you really want to do it why spend the ching on a new hatch? Just use the one on your 22 now. There are lots of fiberglass scoops available. Cut hole in your hatch and glass in the new scoop then paint it or gel it whatever you like. if you don't want to do it your self you could bring it to an autobody shop. Just my 2 cents.

ChromeGorilla
09-25-2005, 12:39 PM
As far a waste of time..... if you have the $$ and you want to go fast I think it's way worth it. If I had the $$ I would do it in a heartbeat. Catch22 has a procharged 454 and is running in the 90's. So is that worth it to you? :yes:

MOP
09-25-2005, 01:18 PM
From what I have heard and read the Pro Charger does a better job then a roots or axial flow, plus I am 90% sure you can stuff it under your stock hatch and have a real sleeper. The Gliter King is steering you right!

Phil

Air 22
09-25-2005, 07:53 PM
Go to www.procharger.com Click on Marine/PWC.. I think you like what you see and read... :biggrin:

zimm17
09-26-2005, 07:26 AM
s
Go to www.procharger.com (http://www.procharger.com) Click on Marine/PWC.. I think you like what you see and read... :biggrin:

The procharger is the easy way to go. I read on a thread it sounds like a box of rocks are in the bearings when it runs. Any confirmation?

I'm aprehensive about a blow through carb setup. Is this a proven way to do it? Looks like a mickey mouse setup for me. If I went this route, I'd like to get a complete EFI top end for it, then add the centrifical. I've seen EFI uppers complete for $1000-$2000. That's not much more than a new carb mod'd for a blow through application.

Greg K
09-26-2005, 07:40 AM
Hardly a mickey mouse setup at http://www.rtechperformance.com
http://www.rtechperformance.com/images/BigBlockChrome.jpg

Air 22
09-26-2005, 09:59 AM
Greg...I'm w/ you...Hardly a mickey mouse set up...nice pic.. :smile:

zimm17
09-26-2005, 07:11 PM
R-tech looks cool. Will that sucker fit under the engine hatch? Wonder how much that setup costs? Plus the cost of a new intake and carb.

MOP
09-27-2005, 01:38 PM
I could be wrong but I had a friend that had a Paxton charger off a Stude that he put on a SB years back. I am 90% sure he used his stock carb in the pressure box, maybe did some re-jetting.

Phil

boldts
09-27-2005, 04:23 PM
You might send a guy named Big Grizzly here on the boards an e-mail. Randy is a stand up guy and will give you all the info. you'd ever want on putting a ProCharger unit in your 22. Randy runs one in his Criterion and it's fast. He'll also help you with prop selection. I don't recall hearing bearing noise when I rode in his boat, but hey, when your eyes are full of tears from the wind, your ears take a back seat to whats going on. At least from a passenger stand-point. The ProCharger set up will fit under the stock 22 hatch. That will save you the cost of another hatch. There is also a very nice Whipple application in a 22 up on Lake George NY I believe. Another person on the boards who has run a blower set up is Mr. X. Ted I believe was running a roots type set up and had one of the fastest 22 Classics known to man.

Add to your price tag, a good hydraulic steering set up. You don't want to be running over 80 with stock equipment.

Use the search tab available here. There has been a number of discussions over the years. Your not alone. BTW, welcome to the Registry!

metraman
09-28-2005, 05:43 AM
Has anyone run the Procharger with a stock Bravo $5,500 isn't bad for the setup but another $4,000-$6,000 for a drive would take a lot of explaining to the wife.

boldts
09-28-2005, 08:33 PM
Randy's Criterion is a TRS set-up. There is a white with red stripes 22 Classic down in Tennesee running a ProCharger with a Bravo. I can't remember the man's name or his board name. Someone who's been to AOTH help me out here. You'll have to ask Mr.X what drive he had behind his set-up. I never got to see that boat in person, but before the 600 edition, it had a Bravo with a shortee. Ted has connections so I'd bet the drive had quality parts in it also.

catch 22
09-29-2005, 06:58 AM
I don't remember buying my pro-charger from a rodent with big ears in Orlando. I am 100% happy with my M3sc with a aw504 intercooler. You don't even know that it's there other than the whistle. No bearing noise, runs like the stock 454 mag until you want more. Docking manners and idleing are just like stock. It will fit under the stock hatch with no problem. I am running a stock Bravo with a 2 inch shortie. Marine Machine dual ram full hydraulic steering. :checkered