PDA

View Full Version : Buying a chainsaw

TuxedoPk
09-23-2005, 08:01 PM
As fall rapidly approaches I've been taking note of all the tree branches that have fallen on my property and have been thinking about purchasing my first chainsaw.

Realistically I probably won't use it much- I don't see myself cutting up firewood (I'm not much fond of stacking it when its delivered, much less cutting and quartering it). It will be more for those occassional uses clearing a fallen tree, etc.

Size- Should I be looking at a 16" or 14"?

Is a Stihl overkill for my stated needs? Would a cheaper Sears or Home Depot model be better suited?

Any particular model suggestions would be appreciated- I don't want to spend more time researching this than using it! Thanks.

mattyboy
09-23-2005, 08:14 PM
husqvarna eat stihl's for lunch

mattyboy
09-23-2005, 08:26 PM
the last stihl i had was a pos, but I guess if your triming palm trees they are ok
we have hard wood up here :) ;) :yes:

gold-n-rod
09-23-2005, 08:37 PM
we have hard wood up here

Me too, especially in the morning!! :smash:

Back on topic. In the fall of '01, we had a big windstorm here and I lost a bigass willow tree. StatefukingFarm decided it was god's doing and wouldn't pay (it cost my former agent the account, however). I went to Sears and bought a Poulan 16" with case, tools and oil for $160.00.

I used it to buck up the willow (24" in diameter at least) and have used it every year since to trim trees here and at my summer place. It always starts and has never failed me. I used the hell out of it this summer when I did some major trimmimg..... no problem.

If it died tomorrow, I would consider my $160 to be money well spent.

mattyboy
09-23-2005, 08:58 PM
solid oak my friend solid oak my leg that is :spit:

Tux,
isn't someone who is so taken with the blowboat scene shouldn't they be looking at a one man buck saw or bow saw your saw shouldn't make more noise than your boat :p

Just Say N20
09-23-2005, 10:13 PM
As I guy who spent a summer in Upstate New York doing tree work, and then many summer week ends doing tree work for extra cash, I have a couple of thoughts to toss out.

The first, however has nothing to do with chain saws. You own a Donzi. Think about why. Now, if the reasons that you own the Donzi, also spill over into other areas of your life; for example do you own a used, stamped steel Mongomery Wards lawn mower, or a Honda? Maybe it should be Craftsman garden tractor versus a John Deere. Both will accomplish the task, but YOU will have a different sense about it.

If you have a Craftsman lawn tractor, or a Monkey Wards stamped steel beauty, go to Home Depot (et all) and buy a Poulon, or Homelite or whatever they are selling. It will work, and you will be happy.

If your Donzi-like-tendencies carry over into other mechanical devises, you won't be happy with a cheaper, functional, will get the job done, but feels wrong, saw. I have used Stihl, Echo, Husky, Homelite, Poulon, McCullouch, etc. While it is true that the Husky does a fantastic job, and really cuts well, it doesn't quite have "the feel." For my money, the Stihl will give you the most Donzi-ownership like experience.

The downside is two fold. First, it is more expensive. Second, in my experience, you will have to do about 20 tree jobs like the one you described, before the saw even starts to get broken in and loosened up. Every summer, when I return to 7th Lake, in the Adirondacks, I get to use my dad's Stihl 031AV that he got in 1973. It is still AWESOME!

My .02. :biggrin:

JPR
09-23-2005, 10:16 PM
Aww man, that is a post. You hit it!

goatee
09-23-2005, 10:50 PM
tux,
just hire a tree timming co. to come out and do the job right. sure, its more expensive but,,think of the hospital bills you will save on by not falling out of a tree and breaking your leg. :bonk:

TuxedoPk
09-24-2005, 06:16 AM
You own a Donzi. Think about why. Now, if the reasons that you own the Donzi, also spill over into other areas of your life

So the chainsaw is a midlife crisis toy then? :)

Goatee- I'm with you all the way when it comes to tree trimming. I'm only looking to cut up those trees that nature is good enough to lay horizontal for me each year.

Poodle- The MS180C Stihl Miniboss w/Easy 2 start electronic ignition a 14" saw selling for $229 around here. Is the 14" plenty w/no need to go to the 16"? Is it worth getting the electronic ignition or saving the bucks?

The prices I've been seeing are:
14" 180C w/elect ignition $229
14" 170 $159
16" 210C w/elect ignition $279
16" 270C Wood Boss $369

I want something safe, easy to use, and reliable but don't want to spend more than I need to on a tool that won't be getting a lot of use.

mattyboy
09-24-2005, 08:24 AM
Tux,
try the tool shed in goshen
or Dombrowski's in washingtonville i think
both have decent prices or if your going to a home depot go to the harriman ny one not ramsey nj store big difference in price more than the difference in tax
Poodle is right on the gas thingy and don't get a big gas tank like a gallon will do don't let that gas sit around either

well mr Poodle what do you think of the stihl electric saws they have more hp than the 180?? are they any good Marie would do some fire wood work but hates the gas saws??? She is much better than me with electric yard tools I always get the cord!!!! :rolleyes:

joel3078
09-24-2005, 08:36 AM
Ok guys, you know about hot boats. Here is the get r done chainsaw. Husky is on top by the way.

http://www.hotsaw.com
Seven times World Champion, in the Un-limited Hotsaw
Class. running a 90hp 500cc Husqvarva motorcycle engine.
World record cut at the Snowy Mountains Chainsaw Classic
in Cooma, Australia NSW.
2.001 sec through a 24" log.

http://espn.go.com/gog04/s/desc_timber_hotsaw.html

Rootsy
09-24-2005, 09:06 AM
if you are REALLY serious about this chainsaw bit Tuxy baby.... you'll step up to the plate and try to tame BIG GUS

http://www.phatpage.org/photo/biggus.jpg

for me my old Homelite 360 Automatic 20" cuts through cord after cord of hardwood like a hot knife through butter... bummer it is no longer made... this thing has practically taken down a complete forest in it's lifetime...

the Stihl 025 18" is one helluva saw too in my arsonal...

mattyboy
09-24-2005, 09:34 AM
this is what a husky can do

start here

http://www.donzi.net/photos/mveth476.jpg

add gas and oil

http://www.donzi.net/photos/mveth474.jpg

gonna need this stuff this winter

http://www.donzi.net/photos/mveth473.jpg

BUIZILLA
09-24-2005, 10:08 AM
Tux, the Stihl's don't need rudder's.... :wink:

all the rest of them do. :embarasse

anonymous :sombrero:

boxy
09-24-2005, 10:10 AM
Matty, I cleared that many trees just to clear my laneway .... :D :D

What do Canadians know, BEER, HOCKEY, and CHAINSAWS....

STIHL

joseph m. hahnl
09-24-2005, 11:42 AM
tux: Poodle hit on somthing. You can Rent one to do the job.
Try both out before you buy.

joe

TuxedoPk
09-24-2005, 01:04 PM
Joseph-If it were a one time big job I'd want to rent. This is more about the ongoing misc. cleanup type stuff where it's more about convenience. In the past I've always just had the landscapers cart the stuff away.

"Tux, the Stihl's don't need rudder's.... "
Gator, in case you were wondering when the coed baby shower thing will die a natural death. Once you've put your foot in it up here things never seem to go away :)

Matty-thanks for the tip on tool shed in goshen. Yes I usually go to the harriman home depot- better selection as you point out. Ramsey- that reminds me to go finish emptying out my condo there and get the place ready for sale. Mo work.

Now those are some real trees in your pictures! Most of what I'm looking to cut is 6" in diameter. The largest diameter I can imagine doing would be 16" or so.

dr
09-24-2005, 01:59 PM
Taking the subjectivity out of it, below is a cut and paste from the most recent edition of Consumer Reports....

Key no. Brand & model (engine size/bar length) Price Weight (lb.) Overall score Cutting speed Handling Safety Ease of use Ease Recommendations & notes
of service

GASOLINE CHAIN SAWS These cut faster than electrics, but they weigh and cost more.
1 Stihl 025 C $300 13.5 Fast, with easy vertical and horizontal cuts. Foot room in rear handle tight. Kickback greater than most, but acceptable.
45 cc./16 in.
(Note: Discontinued.)
2 Echo CS-4400 390 15 Easy vertical and horizontal cuts. Kickback moderate without tip guard. Hard-to-use ignition switch.
43.6 cc./16 in.
3 Husqvarna 345 270 14 Fast and impressive. Inconvenient choke location. Kickback greater than most, but acceptable.
45 cc./16 in.
4 Husqvarna 350 50 cc./18 in. 300 14.5 Impressive overall. Kickback greater than most, but acceptable. Inconvenient choke location.
5 Jonsered 2040 240 13.5 Easy vertical and horizontal cuts. Kickback greater than most, but acceptable.
40 cc./16 in. (Note: Discontinued.)
6 Craftsman (Sears) Red Chassis 35038 42 cc./18 in. 170 13.5 Impressive and low-priced. Extra-large filler caps.
A CR Best Buy (Note: Discontinued.)
7 Stihl 018 C 200 11 Lightweight. Tools-free service access. Foot room in rear handle tight. Kickback moderate. Hard-to-use ignition switch.
A CR Best Buy 31.8 cc./14 in. (Note: Discontinued.)
8 Stihl 021 230 12.5 Lightweight, with easy vertical and horizontal cuts. Tools-free service access. Kickback moderate.
35.2 cc./16 in. (Note: Discontinued.)
9 Craftsman (Sears) Gray Chassis 35046 36 cc./16 in. 150 13.5 Strong performance at a low price. Extra-large filler caps.
A CR Best Buy
10 Stihl Super Farm Boss 029 300 17.5 Fast, but heavy. Kickback greater than most, but acceptable. DISCONTINUED but available
56.5 cc./16 in. (Note: Discontinued.)

RedDog
09-24-2005, 06:04 PM
My wife bought me a chainsaw once - I returned it and picked up a Shimano Calcutta casting reel instead. Much safer to use and more satisfying!

MOP
09-24-2005, 06:19 PM
Someone mentioned Home Depot! My next door neighbor Sal went through 3 HD supposed best model gas saws taking down about 15 trees none of which were more then 8-10 inches. They gave him new ones with no complaints, he got tired of driving the 15 miles back and forth and went to the local chain saw shop and bought a Husky to finish up cutting it for his stove.

Phil

gcarter
09-24-2005, 06:20 PM
this is what a husky can do

start here

http://www.donzi.net/photos/mveth476.jpg

add gas and oil

http://www.donzi.net/photos/mveth474.jpg

gonna need this stuff this winter

http://www.donzi.net/photos/mveth473.jpg
Well. down here we don't got no stinkin' trees cuz three storms took'em all out last year!
But at least if we did, we wouldn't hafta do that heavy work in da snow!!!

:wavey:

rayjay
09-25-2005, 09:24 AM
To follow up on MOP's story, I know Home De$pot has quite a few things made to their specs. It may look the same, and may even work the same for a while, but when you open it up you find it was made to sell at a price and make HD as much money as possible. I used to be a partner in a HONDA Motorcycle dealership. We considered carrying HONDA Power Equipment as the stuff is real good, but a bit pricey for someone who only appreciates price over quality. In checking prices at local dealers I went into HD and saw HONDA equipment for sale at (what appeared to be) really good prices, better than I could even buy some of the equipment. Spoke to our rep and found out HONDA makes a line for HD that has HD only models, some are smaller and all had cheaper guts. They didn't sell any of the big or high end stuff.

Many years ago, when HD first opened in North Jersey a Builder friend tells me same thing with Moen, Delta, and Price-Pfister faucets as well as all the name brand lighting. Bought a P-P faucet at HD and got what I thought was a great price compared to the local Builder's Supply. Of course being the tinkering kind I took it apart to check it and find out how it works. Horrible cheap plastic and rubber inside. Went to the Supply store and looked inside the same one of theirs (or so I thought), and lo' and behold there was brass, stainless, and high quality guts. Had a different model number, and then I realized HD had a "special" model. Bought the Supply Store one and returned the HD one. The difference in price, as good as it was, wasn't worth the apparent shortened life of the cheaper product.

rayjay

Islander
09-25-2005, 09:39 AM
To follow up on MOP's story, I know Home De$pot has quite a few things made to their specs. It may look the same, and may even work the same for a while, but when you open it up you find it was made to sell at a price and make HD as much money as possible. I used to be a partner in a HONDA Motorcycle dealership. We considered carrying HONDA Power Equipment as the stuff is real good, but a bit pricey for someone who only appreciates price over quality. In checking prices at local dealers I went into HD and saw HONDA equipment for sale at (what appeared to be) really good prices, better than I could even buy some of the equipment. Spoke to our rep and found out HONDA makes a line for HD that has HD only models, some are smaller and all had cheaper guts. They didn't sell any of the big or high end stuff.

Many years ago, when HD first opened in North Jersey a Builder friend tells me same thing with Moen, Delta, and Price-Pfister faucets as well as all the name brand lighting. Bought a P-P faucet at HD and got what I thought was a great price compared to the local Builder's Supply. Of course being the tinkering kind I took it apart to check it and find out how it works. Horrible cheap plastic and rubber inside. Went to the Supply store and looked inside the same one of theirs (or so I thought), and lo' and behold there was brass, stainless, and high quality guts. Had a different model number, and then I realized HD had a "special" model. Bought the Supply Store one and returned the HD one. The difference in price, as good as it was, wasn't worth the apparent shortened life of the cheaper product.

rayjay

Proves the old maxim: "You pay peanuts and you get monkeys".

olredalert
09-25-2005, 10:10 AM
------I had the same experience with HD and a garage compressor. Da*m that thing was loud and it lasted just over a month with little usage. Then HD wouldnt stand behind it and pointed me toward a repair station that didnt exist. I then found a repair place willing to look at it. That was over two years ago, and these guys (who seem to know what they are doing) have not been able to procure parts anywhere. I got a small compressor on wheels from a compressor business and now have quiet operation and plenty of air all the time, a real warrantee, and blah, blah, blah!!!
------My Dad (96 years old) has been a Maytag dealer for 70 some years. My brother is the local lonely repairman. They both have seen, firsthand, how different the Maytags are that are sold thru the discount houses as opposed to regular Maytag stores. Dont get me started. But do buy Maytags from a real Maytag dealer!!!
------Whats the moral to this story??? Dont buy anything from HD that has internal parts that can be cheapened up!!! Good place to buy a screw driver or possibly a piece of plywood (although thats overpriced) ..............Bill S

Rootsy
09-26-2005, 06:36 AM
gotta say when it comes to brand... the choice of most loggers i've met in Da UP Eh... and i've met quite a few... cause they cut a HELLUVA lot of trees up there... you see more orange and white than anything else... go with Stihl.. you won't be sorry and do as the mad dog says with the oils and keep the bar and chain out of the dirt and stones... just cut your arm off in the process...

JR

txtaz
09-26-2005, 08:37 AM
if you are REALLY serious about this chainsaw bit Tuxy baby.... you'll step up to the plate and try to tame BIG GUS

http://www.phatpage.org/photo/biggus.jpg

for me my old Homelite 360 Automatic 20" cuts through cord after cord of hardwood like a hot knife through butter... bummer it is no longer made... this thing has practically taken down a complete forest in it's lifetime...

the Stihl 025 18" is one helluva saw too in my arsonal...
That's the size we use in Texas... :biggrin: :us-texas:

CHACHI
09-26-2005, 12:09 PM
Husky 55 rancher 18" bar 3/8" chain cuts very well. Ken

Rootsy
10-10-2005, 12:09 PM
now that we've all discussed our FAVORITE chainsaws... lets talk CHAINS... cause they can make or brake a saw and it's performance... so what do you like and why? i've been using a stihl rapid full skip for a while... makes a lot of shavings... i've been thinking of going to a full chisel super... my thru-put needs to go up... i only have about 15 face cord (roughly 8 cord)to go... :lookaroun

Lenny
10-10-2005, 12:56 PM
Tux, I have had 3 Husquvarna's and no problem. I live in the woods and have clearned a couple acres of BIG trees, and done just about everything else with 'em.

Never a problem.

Cut more rounds than I know what to do with, had LOADS of logging trucks drop off 40'ers for firewood in the past 15 years...

I like 'em.

JimG
10-11-2005, 07:29 AM
Dammit! Why didn't I see this thread before the hurricane! I went and bought a Poulan Pro 22" and now I wish I'd bought a Stihl! I guess I'll wear this one out and chunk it...

Rootsy
10-11-2005, 08:59 PM
actually poodle, this is for my homelite 360... has a 20 inch homelite bar on it... but it takes an 18" Stihl chain, guess the ole homelite bar is narrow, actually it needs a new bar... takes a 72 for a drive...

i am pretty tempted to just break out the credit card and buy a new stihl... thinkin a 20" 310... 390 is a bit "overkill" for most of what i do (but man would that be lovely)... need something that has plenty of ass to take down big hardwood (2 feet+ in diameter in some cases)... the homelite can stay for bucking and stuff...

you a stihl dealer there madpoodle? want to quote me a 310 20".. farm use (ie no sales tax), shipped...

JR

roadtrip se
10-12-2005, 08:22 AM
This little bugger has been killing ash trees on my lot like casual lunch.

The Stihl gets a work out on a pretty regular basis.

I'm still leaving the big stuff near the house for the pros. Not quite ready for that open air feeling in the living room yet.

Tony
10-12-2005, 08:01 PM
Surely some of you guys are old enough to know that John Deere made the ONLY chain saw choice of the past. No longer made...did they morph into Stihl?

I bought a John Deere 55EV 26 years ago and it is still going strong!

roadtrip se
10-14-2005, 10:12 AM
I've got about twenty-five trees coming down right now.

Everyone of these guys is carrying a real mean looking Stihl.

Quite impressive....

Rootsy
10-14-2005, 10:52 AM

Quite impressive....

hey... why dontcha be a pal and bring that wood on over here... do your part and keep me warm this winter ;)

JR - 12 cord to go... and wanting a NEW stihl :banghead:

TuxedoPk
10-14-2005, 11:22 AM
Are you clearing land for a new house?

Quite impressive....

Rootsy
10-17-2005, 01:11 PM
welp now i guess i am a chainsaw junky too... just had to add the MS310 20" to the arsenal when the homelite didn't want to start until the 5th pull... that'll teach it... how dare it have the wrong spark plug in it (NO i am not responsible for that one) :bonk:

rolomatic E bar (anti-kickback - green label) with a Rapid Super - Full Chisel- (33RS - da yellow stuff eh) chain... it makes a nice pile of bedding sawdust for the bunny rabbits...

decent power and handles the 20" in green oak fairly well... it never runs out of power, as long as you don't get her pinched too much... interested to see if it has the ass to handle 25 inches of bar and chain... but that is probably best left to something in the 361 and up range...

damn i love the 361 BUT... well... the pricetag was a bit more than i needed to chew on from a 4 1/2 hp professional saw, at least for what i do with it... so i guess i'll see if i can wear out a plastic chassis... if i do, then we'll go magnesium in the 460ish range ;)

so tux, did you decide on a saw or are you still figuring out whether to burn corn or wood?

TuxedoPk
10-17-2005, 01:28 PM
Have put buying the chainsaw on back burner. Compared to the volume and size of what I've got to cut to what you and other's are doing its next to nothing. It was more a matter of convenience and I found out one of my friends have one they will lend me for this season.

I'm still struggling with the corn burner issue. Between health, family and other issues, its hard for me to think straight and make the right decision.

gold-n-rod
10-17-2005, 02:25 PM
I'm still struggling with the corn burner issue. Between health, family and other issues, its hard for me to think straight and make the right decision.

Tux, you are wise to go slow and make a sound decision on biomass burners. With the size of your castle, the investment will be large and you have to be able to recoup the investment over a reasonable period of time. If you sell, does the future owner consider the biomass burner to be an asset or a liability?

You might be wise to think about a smaller unit(s) to warm the main living areas and dial down the rest of the palace. Then, watch the fuel oil trend lines long term. Even of you do nothing and pay 40% more to heat your place this coming winter, a poorly thought out solution will still cost you more.

Hope this helps and your distractions become less in the times ahead.