Mr X
09-22-2005, 08:13 AM
Name it.....

Mr X
09-22-2005, 11:21 AM
Another clue!

BUIZILLA
09-22-2005, 12:44 PM
That Escalade looks like it has a headache...

Mr X
09-22-2005, 06:47 PM
Ok,........another clue.
Someone will get it now!

McGary911
09-23-2005, 02:54 PM
Aronow 24?? but I thought they had tiny steps.....and a picklefork front.....Hey, it's a guess, right?

Mr X
09-23-2005, 03:41 PM
Not correct, but you are definatly on the right track and very close!

Dave911
09-24-2005, 01:14 AM
Was that a design by a Hydroplane racer.... Somebody Jones?
If so, I'll take the Alpha Z as my prize.

Mr X
09-24-2005, 06:40 AM
Oh, you meen Ron Jones, the famous hydroplane designer in Washington state!!??

No, :biggrin:

Mr X
09-25-2005, 10:15 PM
Ok, times up. Guess I stumped everyone.

Built by Don Aronow himself!

McGary911
09-26-2005, 11:54 AM
That's pretty cool. How many did he make? How did they run? Was this one ever rigged?

BERTRAM BOY
09-29-2005, 04:43 PM
Ted,
How can the boat be "Built by Don Aronow himself", if it's a "Formula by Thuderbird"?

BERTRAM BOY :D :D :D

Lenny
09-29-2005, 08:24 PM
TED, I WANT THOSE FORMULA CRESTS AND SCRIPT,,, BAD !!!! :eek:

for my Formula Junior... pleeeeeeeeeease ?

Formula Jr
10-13-2005, 02:01 PM
Lenny, you will be recieving a package soon.
Two Birds, Two JRs, Originals of both and whats left of my original "Formula" script. Sent it out today, Gift, declared $10 value.
You don't want that zinc stuff anyway around salt.

Mr. X.
I believe Lenny would give you his right arm if he were allowed to take a plaster casting off of the "Formula" script. I have extra birds in red brass, drilled and ready to be chromed.
We three should talk.

The tunnel hull is most likely an earlier DUO or StarCraft design that came under the Thunder Bird/Formula unbrella when Formula, Thunderbird and DUO merged briefly. DUO was sold off to StarCraft in '66. Its hard to find Photos of the DUO tunnel line on the net since DUO is also used in lots of other contexts. And the bulk of DUO models were very conventional in design. But the lines of your boat and the OB DUO tunnels are basicly the same.
The Formula by Thunderbird metal scripts were only used for about three years. '66, '67 and '68.
Formula also would attach black plastic ID Serial number tags to the inner transom. There should still be rivit holes or this plate on the port side inner transom. If you have that it will tell us what the boat really is.
I don't think the Formula Badges came with that boat originally since they are salt pitted and this hull doesn't appear to have ever been rigged.
The DUO badges were also chrome over zinc with the D being a stylized three blade prop. Give us some more history of this boat. Where you found it, if there is a story behind it, etc. I've never seen one like this before as an outdrive boat of that era.
It could be a later Aronow design of the seventies, it looks like a scaled version of something he was working on. But not with Formula chrome over zinc badges or in the time frame in which those were made. If you have hard provenance, please share. This would be new history.

Owen