PDA

View Full Version : Drain plug broke off...

synack
09-21-2005, 09:14 PM
I took the boat out for a run this afternoon and was especially interested in seeing the cooling ability since cleaning out the blown up impeller out of my oil cooler. Needless to say, I rode it pretty hard for a bit. Cool as a cucumber!

When I got back to the marina, I popped the engine hatch and was shocked to discover a wet mess. I immediately assumed a hose burst or something happened when I put everything back after cleaning the seawater section last Sunday.

Instead, I found that the passenger side engine drain plug was busted off. The whole winged area was gone somewhere in the bilge and water was draining from the block.

I've never heard of one of these busting before. Anyone else ever see this happen? I'm assuming that the plug was fractured or something and time and heat got to it. The cooling system isn't really all that pressurized to case one to blow off.

RedDog
09-22-2005, 07:59 AM
The blue plastic winged plugs? I've broken a few of them over the past couple of years. Most broke while screwing them in or out. 1 broke on its own and caused a small leak. I now keep a few spares in my tool kit.

You will likely need an "EZ-Out" to back the remaining piece out of the manifold or block.

Buy the 5-pack.

martiniboat
09-22-2005, 09:25 AM
I feel your pain brother, been there.When they 'go' I replace w/ a high quality Weatherhead (brand) 1/4-turn brass drain. No mo' worries.:biggrin.:

Brian

synack
09-22-2005, 10:30 AM
Maybe their trying to tell us something???

Heck yea! They're telling me "We want more of your money!" ;-)

I may as well go an replace all of them and keep some spares in the growing spare kit.

RickSE
09-22-2005, 11:32 AM
I broke one off at the ramp several years ago, of course it was after the truck & trailer had left to go park.

MOP
09-22-2005, 12:55 PM
On the mainfolds of several of our clients boat I replaced them with the old style brass 90's, then drilled and tapped for brass petcocks. On my 302 in the 16 I found at my local hardware 1/4 turn brass & S/S valves that fit on place of the block petcocks.

Phil

RedDog
09-22-2005, 02:21 PM
be careful about using brass plugs. It seems to me that the the blue plastic plugs have a different thread than the brass plugs that screw directly into the manifolds and block.

I could be wrong - does anyone know for certain?

RickSE
09-22-2005, 02:27 PM
be careful about using brass plugs. It seems to me that the the blue plastic plugs have a different thread than the brass plugs that screw directly into the manifolds and block.

I could be wrong - does anyone know for certain?

Yes, the blue plugs are a straight thread with an O-ring while most brass plugs have a tapered thread. Most of the places where the blue plugs go in though there is a brass or plastic adapter to go from the tapered thread in the casting to the straight thread of the blue plug. You just have to remove or replace the adapter.

MOP
09-22-2005, 06:20 PM
The thumb plug that goes into the fitting is straight with an Oring but the block I believe is pipe thread, they went in just fine with a little Teflon no problems some have been in for several years.

Delayed putting this post up!

Just called my kid as he just changed his, he said what I thought that the threads in cast iron are all standard pipe.

Phil

synack
09-22-2005, 10:06 PM
I got a full set to replace them all and also have one spare.

I spoke to the guy at the marine center and he said that it's probably not a good idea to use brass as they may seize up. So, I just went with the regular ones. He also mentioned that they do get brittle over time... so maybe that explains it.

Maybe this happened as a way for the boat to tell me that it wants to be winterized! ;-)

MOP
09-23-2005, 05:01 PM
I could not disagree more with not using brass, I have opened and closed a few thousand over the years down here in the blessed salt. The ones I used in the 383 are more then 25 years old and still work perfectly. As far as I know Merc is the only one to use the failure prone plastic junk! Check any quality engine builder you will see they use brass/bronze. Anytime your temp gauge hit 200 or a tad more they are suspect and may need changing out. Give you a for instance a bud decided to try a 190 Tstat is his rig, he was running Nal Cool & 30 percent anti freeze and a big block cooler on a 355 SB. After a good trial run he ran over all the clamps be for it cooled, the plastic fits did not seem to take up. Upon removing a hose to see what gives he found the nipples were starting to collapse, have you ever seen a plastic coffee cup sag from very hot but not boiling coffee. I would never use plastic!

Phil