PDA

View Full Version : Beware! Evil sea lions are out to get ya! ;-)

synack
09-20-2005, 03:08 PM
http://nbc4la.feedroom.com/index.jsp?fr_story=dd4144f6ecd17bd6f309d796f556ea0 ff6e0c893&auto_band=x&auto_band=x

NEWPORT BEACH, Calif. -- Sea lions have been climbing aboard boats -- one of which sank under their weight -- in Newport Harbor for the past few weeks.

Fifteen sea lions sank Jerry Dunlop's 1910, 50-foot sailboat into the bottom of Newport Harbor.

"I was kind of dumbfounded," Dunlap, a contractor who lives in Garden Grove, told The Orange County Register newspaper. "I don't know what my loss is."

The animals have been basking in the sun aboard boat decks and barking all night long, keeping residents awake.

"The sea lions have taken refuge on various vessels in the harbor," said Dave Ginther, of the Orange County Sheriff's Department Habor Patrol. "They've gathered in such a number, we have incidents of vessels taking on water. In one instance, we had one sink."

The Harbor Commission met Wednesday night to hear a report from staff on what other harbor cities have done to deter the animals.

The commission decided to endorse an ordinance that will impose feeding restrictions and allow for the citation of people who feed the sea lions. The California Coastal Commission must approve the ordinance for it to go into effect.

The city has used a few methods to get rid of the animals. Those methods include: scarecrows, firecrackers, predator sounds, and capture and relocation of the sea lions. Authorities said those methods have not worked well.

Newport Beach officials said they are not going to use any of those tactics.

The sea lions arrived in May, when a group of them found a cozy, flat surface to sunbathe on near an anglers club by the Balboa Pavilion.

The animals have trained themselves to haul their bodies up to surfaces. They have been able to get aboard boats using swim stairs and low surfaces. The Harbor Commission has received more than 20 complaints, and the sea lion nuisance has been getting worse in the past six weeks.

Some boat owners have taken the matter into their own hands by pulling wire through milk cartons and hanging them around the boats. Others have placed tack strips on their hulls.

"They're not dangerous, but they're certainly pesky," said one boat owner. "They're not pleasant to smell, either."

Another boat owner said the sea lions' barks are annoying.

"I've never heard such a racket," he said. "Unbelievable. It sort of reminds me of my ex-wife."

Male sea lions can weight about 750 pounds. The state's sea lion population has been growing at 6 percent per year.

Experts said the sea lions are probably looking for food.

GKricheldorf
09-20-2005, 05:43 PM
They are a real problem. Some friends of our family were murdered in November (not by the seals) for their boat and money. Well the trial has not started yet, but their boat is in possession of the harbor police and those seals are destroying it. It is a real shame there is nothing we can do incase the boat is needed for further evidence.

If anyone is interested in the full story visit
http://www.tomandjackiehawks.com/

joel3078
09-21-2005, 10:12 AM
Just got back from this sea lion place a few weeks ago. Can not control the sea lions so they built another marina. It was way cheaper than trying to control the damage from the sea lions. Mother nature IS boss.

http://www.pier39.com/entertainment/entertainment.cfm/attraction/1000011

mattyboy
09-21-2005, 02:13 PM
I hope for the sake of all you boys in the sushine state that the sea lions don't call the manatees with this tactic
I can see the headline now

Miami Beach Fla

an x-18 cigarette type power boat was sunk today as a 4000lb sea cow or manatee decided to sun itself on the back of the 18 foot boat, the owner of the boat to remain nameless for now then proceeded to drive his black ford f 350 I mean blue ford truck off the dock killing the manatee, the owner was cited for failure to signal ,failure to keep left, and failure to obey the no wake sign, the witnesses at the scene said the boat owner was acting like a crazed lapdog.......