PDA

View Full Version : Need more stowage space

Carl C
09-18-2005, 08:18 AM
I'm seriously considering reconfiguring the "cuddy" area of my '05 22C. I would cut the floorboard down to the level of the center section and remove the storage tray. I'd cut and trim the carpet and trim the cut 'glass. Then I'd glass in a plywood floor, leaving a screwed in access plate for the fuel tank. then I'll divide sections to stow gear and maybe a spot for sleeping. I have to carry at minimum an anchor and line, boarding ladder, fire extinguisher, life vests, life ring, towels, "wind-aways", dock lines, GPS, VHF, CDs, everyones personal items, etc. etc. There is just no room and so much space could be better utilized in the 22C. I think I could do this without adding too much weight. I'd like to know what you guys think. Maybe some day I can afford a bigger boat like a ZR but for now I love my 22 Classic but need to make it better suit my needs. To answer another members question - my anchor now sits on the floor in front of the back seat. Not acceptable.:wavey:

gold-n-rod
09-18-2005, 09:04 AM
I'm seriously considering reconfiguring the "cuddy" area of my '05 22C. I would cut the floorboard down to the level of the center section and remove the storage tray. I'd cut and trim the carpet and trim the cut 'glass. Then I'd glass in a plywood floor, leaving a screwed in access plate for the fuel tank. then I'll divide sections to stow gear and maybe a spot for sleeping. I have to carry at minimum an anchor and line, boarding ladder, fire extinguisher, life vests, life ring, towels, "wind-aways", dock lines, GPS, VHF, CDs, everyones personal items, etc. etc. There is just no room and so much space could be better utilized in the 22C. I think I could do this without adding too much weight. I'd like to know what you guys think. Maybe some day I can afford a bigger boat like a ZR but for now I love my 22 Classic but need to make it better suit my needs. To answer another members question - my anchor now sits on the floor in front of the back seat. Not acceptable.:wavey:

Carl: What if you went to a Corvette forum and someone wrote: I love my car, but I have a need to haul things from Home Depot and they just won't fit. I am thinking about taking a sawzall to the rear compartment and turning it into a pickup box!!!

Wouldn't you think that guy had lost his mind? :yes:

I feel your pain, in fact I once asked about the feasibility of having a sun pad made for a 22 and installing a swim platform. The advice I got was basically, "you can't turn a Classic into a 'do-all' family boat." My solution was to keep the family boat and get a 16 for those times when I just want to have monster fun (which turned out to be 90% of this past summer's boating, BTW).

I've found many marine storage "gizmos" with suction cups for holding safety gear, GPS, sunglasses and CD's. Someone else here talked about an anchor bag. You have underseat storage, don't you? That's where I keep the throwable device, stern pole and extra extingisher (I have the auto-halon, too). They also make a vinyl "box" for storing PFDs.

Put the sawzall down and step away from the boat. You've got one of the coolest boats ever. Get used to it. Don't try to make it something it's not. Enjoy it for what it is.

My 2 cents.

Sagbay32
09-18-2005, 09:24 AM
There is someone here who saw a 22 at a rally that had the locker and foot rests removed and had a simple floor installed w/ cushions. I too thought this was a great idea. The forward space is wasted, and many others probably would opt for the 22 if it was more "family friendly".

my .02¢
Mike

MOP
09-18-2005, 10:03 AM
Correct me if I am wrong, you have the flat platforms on each side of the engine. Why no make up light but sturdily constructed boxes of plywood or the like secured but removable to fit those areas, put all the small and heavier items back where the weight should be. I would still put a platform and pad forward which would make a very nice snuggle hole!

Phil

blackhawk
09-18-2005, 10:17 AM
Carl I think it's a great idea. I remember crawling around under ther bow when I was mounting my sub and thinking a creative guy could re-shape the dash for an entrance and finish under here with some padding and have a cuddy.

My blackhawk had no floor storage so it really sucked. The 22C is not a "family" boat but the under bow storage is ridiculous! They could have made the storage A LOT bigger!

Bad-Tat
09-18-2005, 10:20 AM
Isn't that what Bayliners are for??

blackhawk
09-18-2005, 10:25 AM
Isn't that what Bayliners are for??

There are plenty of OFFSHORE boats in the 22-24' range that have ample storage or even a small cuddy under the bow. At the very least put some thought into the storage and make it a lot bigger! Sorry, thoughts of s**t strung out all over my blackhawk because of lack of storage popped into my head and got me riled up a little! :D

But seriously, the bow storage is a joke!

RedDog
09-18-2005, 10:41 AM
Correct me if I am wrong, you have the flat platforms on each side of the engine. Why no make up light but sturdily constructed boxes of plywood or the like secured but removable to fit those areas, put all the small and heavier items back where the weight should be. I would still put a platform and pad forward which would make a very nice snuggle hole!

Phil

I have done something similar to this - my box is plastic with 2 hinged flaps for closure - I think it was intended as a box for storage of Christmas (theres that word again) decorations. I used short screws, fender washers, and sealant to mount. I store my tool kit, anchor, lines, ski ropes, and a ton ot other junk.

Ed Donnelly
09-18-2005, 11:39 AM
If you do modify, please take pics..It took me 5 yrs just to get up the ba**s to cut 7" holes for the speakers. My Criterion SS, has NO room for anything. I can't even stand up let alone move. All that room under the bow and no access. If you can take a saw to your 2005, then maybe I can with my 85.
I don't buy the " it's a Donzi, live with it, there are other boats more user friendly." If we all thought like that, there wouldn't be any 120 m.p.h. 18' donzi's. ( Geo, you are my hero.) ......Ed

olredalert
09-18-2005, 12:29 PM
Ed,

-------I was just thinking that my Corsican was the most useless DONZI ever built, but now I am considering it a tie with the Criterion. Before Criterion owners jump all over my sorry a** let me say that to me the "useless" part is a good thing, NOT bad. When you think about it "useless" for anything other than going fast is a big part of all DONZI classic styles. They are made for one thing and one thing alone,,,speed! Even skiing is not a classics true forte'. Thats one of the main reasons we all love them when,,, the useless quotient!!!
-------There was a red 21GT that was sold out of MI. to FL. that had the front area opened up exactly as is mentioned at the beginning of this thread and I thought at first I didnt like it. As an afternoon of riding progressed though I got to thinking that it was a good thing!!! Extra space isnt a bad thing, and there are way plenty of 22 Classics around. If one is cut and modified a bit the world wont stop turning. Just my old rambling thought-process. Hope no one is too offended..........Bill S

blackhawk
09-18-2005, 01:14 PM
It's had a few more mods since then.. :eek:

Very nice!!! :yes:

Chili 18
09-18-2005, 03:02 PM
I love my 22 Classic but need to make it better suit my needs. To answer another members question - my anchor now sits on the floor in front of the back seat. Not acceptable.:wavey:

I carry all the items you mention in the ski area on my 18. My box anchor, chain and ropes fit nicely in the "cooler" well under the carpe. Nice little coleman cooler fits snug at the back end of the ski stow area between the front footwells under the dash.

Modify as you mention... Very limited resale potential...vs clean stock 2005 DONZI... Use the space in the engine bay if you need to bolt in some boxes. Make sure they can be easilly removed...

Ed Donnelly
09-18-2005, 03:09 PM
Mr. Poodle; Now I know why Mr Chisholm had the hydraulic front hatch. Its a royal pain in the a** to lift the hatch other than at the dock. I put a piano hinge on the access hatch to the bow already. I guess I could run her with the cover rather than the fiberglass hatch, but it just doesn't look as clean. I might try putting a hinge to replace the upright on top of the foot rest. That way I would have access to the bumpers and anchor....Ed

Sagbay32
09-18-2005, 03:31 PM
It seems a little tight to get under the dash of a 22 unless you put in a spring loaded sliding seat bracket like they do in many 2 door cars/trucks with back seats.

I have always liked the older 20' Cigarette forward storage areas too. The hinged access forward of the wind screen was kinda neat. I can't seem to find a good pic of one in my archives.

Mike

BUIZILLA
09-18-2005, 03:34 PM
Budmann has the right idea, with his clutterless rope bags...

JH

Cuda
09-18-2005, 04:05 PM
Budmann has the right idea, with his clutterless rope bags...

JH
He also has a sunpad.

gcarter
09-18-2005, 05:13 PM
He also has a sunpad.
And a bimini!! ;) :rlol:

Sagbay32
09-18-2005, 06:22 PM
Thanks Poodle for the trip to the archives.

Mike

Carl C
09-18-2005, 08:07 PM
I appreciate all the feedback. gold-n-rod, I completely understand your viewpoint and thanks for pointing out the underseat bin. I didn't even know about that! It's hard to get to though. I'm not trying to make a family boat. I just want to do some Great Lakes cruising with my girlfriend. If rveryone had said "no way - don't do it", I wouldn't. mop, I like the idea of removable boxes in the engine comp. I will do it but they will be plastic. I will probably do the "cuddy" mod. If I make it look factory done I don't think it will hurt the boat's value. I've never seen two identical Classics anyway. blueliner's and the one at pier 57 are pretty close though. Sorry blue, cheap shot.:cool!:

Barry Phillips
09-19-2005, 09:46 AM
I realize anchor size is relative to the size and weight of the boat, but on a 22 or an 18 stowing stuff it is always and issue. The other issue is where do your boat? Where I keep my boat the lake bottom is a combination of sand and mud so a 5lb claw style anchor works pretty well if you’re just hanging out for the day somewhere. I store a small Hooker (easy to stow) with 50’of line for the bow and the same for the stern with 25’ of line the stern. When I want to get serious I can bring along my 15lb Dansforth. I keep the anchors and line in a canvas duffle that I picked up at the GAP, yes the GAP. Than the how shooten match is stowed in an old life jacket bag along with an extra throwabled and vest, which keeps everything from bang around under the deck. If you check out West Marine, I Boats, Boaters World, key in Gear Bag, what should come up is a nice very sturdy duffle with compartments, all for about 20 bucks. The bag can hold 4-life vest, in the bottom section, flares, distress flag etc in a generous separate compartment in the cover. Plus mesh compartments for keys, sun block, dock lines you name it the sides. The bag even has sturdy non-skid feet and fits neatly in the compartment under the deck of a 22. I’ve also seen Dansforth style anchors that can be disassembled and stow in there own bag, but need to be assembled when used and are expensive.

One more tip I fell in the water once when I hooking my boat up to it's mooring, no jokes please. The real problem was aside from my pride, my registration, wallet and keys went in with me. Solution to that problem was a little plastic clamshell case with a gasketed lid and cord designed for the PWC market, plus the thing floats. Sometimes I learn the hardway, but I do learn.

Carl C
09-19-2005, 11:10 AM
Thanks for the input Barry. The problem is not just the anchor, but all the gear I mentioned at the start of this thread plus the cooler. Here in Michigan they say the life jackets must be openly stored for quick access. Now I'm thinking of installing removable plastic bins in the engine comp., opening up the under bow area installing a floor, cutting foam to fit and have it upholstered plus a small nook for the life jackets. With a light and a 12 volt fan this would make a cozy lounging/sleeping area (Yes, I have dual batteries!). I'm not trying to create a cabin cruiser but would like to make the boat better suit my needs. Most of my boating has been on small lakes but next summer I'll be doing some cruising on the Great Lakes and connecting waters. Overnight trips to Cedar Point, Put-In-Bay, Grand Traverse Bay, etc.:smile:

Air Dog
12-04-2005, 09:07 AM
Hello Donzi people.

My first time here.

Love the website.

I say feel free to cut the inside, just don't harm the great looking exterior of your Donzi.

Here is a picture of my cuddy if this helps.

My boat is 24' and it has a completely flat deck so there is not much headroom.

Great for overnighting in though and it has a porta-potti.

Sagbay32
12-04-2005, 09:26 AM
Welcome to the site Air Dog,
Is that a 24' Banana?

Post some more pics.
Mike

mattyboy
12-04-2005, 10:57 AM
seems I have heard some where a classic with a cabin or increased storage would not be a classic??
Carl modify your boat has you see fit just don't refer to it has a classic anymore ;) :p :)

joseph m. hahnl
12-04-2005, 12:50 PM
Boxes in engine compartment. I was thinking of cargo netting my self. you could still get down beside the motor in an emergency when you were off shore. Removing the battery and securing it in the engine compartment would free up space under the rear seat but would also make it difficult for battery troubles."probably worth the hassle" as far as the V-berth thing goes i thought of it also but it gets pretty hot up inside there when the sun is scorching . But the biggest problem I have with even the space that is there. I can't easily fit between the seats to get up there. I am not fat at all 5'9" 170 lbs to 180 lbs. and it is a struggle to get between. so much so I don't and won't store any thing there except what I need for the just incase sonerio. So for me it is what it is and I live with it. I actually took all of that into consideration before i even bought a Donzi. Being Raised on a 30' cabin cruiser i already Knew about the wasted space in the V. I decided i would rather have the race boat over the cabin cruiser .

joe

TuxedoPk
12-04-2005, 01:35 PM
seems I have heard some where a classic with a cabin or increased storage would not be a classic??
Carl modify your boat has you see fit just don't refer to it has a classic anymore ;) :p :)
Considering it was only a Classic heritage Donzi to begin with, break out the sawzall ;)
Classic Aronow donzi ----Don's boats
Classic elite donzi the-----the rare ones
Classic Stepped Donzi------- The ZX
Classic Competion Donzi------ all the race boats past and present
Classic Customized Donzi------ the minx, the X18
Classic heritage Donzi------ the 16 ,18, 22
Donzi----- all boats that don't fit the terms above

Air Dog
12-05-2005, 06:48 AM
Welcome to the site Air Dog,
Is that a 24' Banana?
Post some more pics.
Mike

Thanks Mike,

Your good if you can identify my boat by the cabin...:)

Here are some more for you.

I currently own three boats.

(2) Banana Boats and (1) 1972 Cig 20.

Carl C
12-05-2005, 04:31 PM
Matty, you really think I can't call it a classic anymore if I lower the floorboards and remove the storage bin?????????:eek!: Anyway I won't do the mods this winter. I have to do some repairs and remods to the crib. Yes it is a tight fit between the seats and I'm 5'9" 160#.