PDA

View Full Version : What do you do?

Jraysray
09-17-2005, 10:53 PM
Being a rookie to the site I find it interesting to hear what you guy’s / gals do to get paid. So watcha think? Let’s hear it. You old timers know each other, but us new- bloods are left to guessing so post a pic or two and re-introduce yourself to the site.

If no pic, no biggie, just drop a note. We look forward to seeing the responses.

Me, HSE Environmental Dept / Industrial Firefighter, Rescue. Chemical Mfg Plant.

Her, Radiation Therapist University of Texas MD Anderson.

RedDog
09-18-2005, 12:16 AM
ahhhh

road whore

jackl1969
09-18-2005, 04:15 AM
#*%@# Refinery worker (operations)

Where do you normally run your boat? We run in Clear Lake and Offats Bayou.

Ed Donnelly
09-18-2005, 12:13 PM
Started out as a process burner and boiler mech. Now into energy management for heating and cooling for various police and government buildings.......Ed

olredalert
09-18-2005, 12:33 PM
-------I give much needed and wanted serious advice on this forum. Please send only cash as the checks confuse me..............Bill S.......Seriously old "Red Alert"

-------Oh, Whos that guy in the picture with you, J???

txtaz
09-18-2005, 02:08 PM
I am the Donzi auctioneer. I raise money to support our habits.
Damn I need a fix, where's the boat....
Wes

Jraysray
09-18-2005, 04:22 PM
Olredalert,

Ummmm, now I am confused. The pretty one with long blonde hair is my wife. She is the Jray in the jraysray. (Jeannette Ray) The guy is me. (Scott Ray)

Last Real Texan
09-18-2005, 04:29 PM
Import stuff from Eastern Europe and wholesale it here in the states...no not dope.

My moto ...Buy Low and Sell High.

Bryan

gcarter
09-18-2005, 04:41 PM
My wife, Elaine (DEFINATELY MY BETTER HALF) and I own a small business, water treatment system sales, installation, and service. We are a Kinetico dealer in Central Florida which which includes Lake, Marion, and Sumter Counties. We've been in business 18 years.

DonCig
09-18-2005, 05:57 PM
Manufacturers Representative and Manufacturer.

Products:

Metals: Aluminum, Carbon, Stainless Steel, Alloys, Zinc and Aluminum Die Casting, Sand Castings, Stampings, Forgings and just about anything else using a metal product.

Electronics: Printed Circuit Boards, Box Builds, Wiring Harnesses.

Vinyl: Vinyl Extrusions

Glass: Glass Windows for the Bus Industry

Electronics: Printed Circuit Boards, Box Builds and Wiring Harnesses and Cables.

Magnetics: New Patented product being retailed as the "Velcro" of Metal.

Fiberglass: Cowlings and fiberglass parts for the Bus Industry.

Don

olredalert
09-18-2005, 07:55 PM
Jraysray,

--------Hopefully, just a dumb joke that didnt come close to working taken out of context.
--------I was forcefully retired, kicked out of the family business and sent away with a monthly stipend. Dont mind me, Im old and decrepit............Bill S

Marlin275
09-18-2005, 08:01 PM
Art Direction & Graphic Design Projects
Advertising and Marketing Programs
Logo Development and Branding
Audio Visual Presentations
Corporate Image Design
Exhibits & Displays
Signage Design
Package Design
Annual Reports
Special Events
Brochures
Sales Kits
Web Sites
Posters

http://www.donzi.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=14881

gcarter
09-18-2005, 08:19 PM
Dont mind me, Im old and decrepit............Bill S

Bill, you're not as old as I am!!

Jraysray
09-18-2005, 08:33 PM
Too funny Bill. I knew what u ment.:D

Jraysray,

--------Hopefully, just a dumb joke that didnt come close to working taken out of context.
--------I was forcefully retired, kicked out of the family business and sent away with a monthly stipend. Dont mind me, Im old and decrepit............Bill S

Jraysray
09-18-2005, 08:44 PM
Listen Folks,
The Kinetico systems are the way to go! A little more expensive, yes, BUT WELL WORTH IT. Hands down the best out there. I owned a system when I was on well water and what a change it made! It was a hands off system other than replacing the salt.

I am thinking about puting another in the house I own now. (City Water) I know the difference it makes so consider George as a resource if considering this upgrade.

P.S.
George,
What kind of discount does this get me? :wink:

My wife, Elaine (DEFINATELY MY BETTER HALF) and I own a small business, water treatment system sales, installation, and service. We are a Kinetico dealer in Central Florida which which includes Lake, Marion, and Sumter Counties. We've been in business 18 years.

Extreme Measures
09-18-2005, 08:50 PM
Jrasray.The job that my wife and I hold down are .My wife is a professional Firefigher for the City of Kingston,and I work for boc gases and The Ontario Provincial Police.

Jraysray
09-18-2005, 08:56 PM
Clear Lake / Taylor Lake / Mud Lake / Clear Creek / San Jacinto River. None of which are clear. :rolleyes: Where is Offats Bayou and which plant do you work at?

#*%@# Refinery worker (operations)

Where do you normally run your boat? We run in Clear Lake and Offats Bayou.

DonziDave
09-18-2005, 09:28 PM
I'm an architect...primarily commercial buldings such as mixed-use, retail, office, resort and corporate hotels, and high-end residential (no McMansions need apply).

An old joke:
Q: "Hey Dave, I hear you inherited a million dollars, what are you going to do with it?"
A: "Practice architecture until it's all gone."

Dave

gcarter
09-18-2005, 09:41 PM
I noticed George didnt argue the decrepit part Bill..... :wavey:
Scott, I'll wait till I meet Bill in person!!

jackl1969
09-18-2005, 09:45 PM
Clear Lake / Taylor Lake / Mud Lake / Clear Creek / San Jacinto River. None of which are clear. :rolleyes: Where is Offats Bayou and which plant do you work at?
Offats is by Moody Gardens . Great place to watch the air show. I believe it is in Oct. Unfortunatly I work for BP

gcarter
09-18-2005, 09:45 PM
Listen Folks,

P.S.
George,
What kind of discount does this get me? :wink:
Unfortunately Scott, there's a dealer in Alvin that doesn't allow me to do that.
But if you drive here some time, I have some used equipment (it'll still last 30 years) that I can work with.

Jraysray
09-18-2005, 09:52 PM
NOT YOUR FAULT!!!!!!!!! I'm with you and yours.

Offats is by Moody Gardens . Great place to watch the air show. I believe it is in Oct. Unfortunatly I work for BP

Cuda
09-18-2005, 09:54 PM
I'm a ceramic tile contractor. I mostly do restaurants, with probably 90% of my money coming from McDonald's. Debbie has been working with me the last three years or so. As a matter of fact, she's in Sarasota tonight to run a job for me there tomorrow. :)

jackl1969
09-18-2005, 09:56 PM
NOT YOUR FAULT!!!!!!!!! I'm with you and yours.
Which plant are you at?

Jraysray
09-18-2005, 09:57 PM
Lyondell.

Which plant are you at?

Jraysray
09-18-2005, 10:02 PM
Cuda,
Ever thought about getting one of those hamburger stands?
I have heard it is easier to get into Ft Knox than break into that bubble. Nice work. You skills guy's make me envious.

I'm a ceramic tile contractor. I mostly do restaurants, with probably 90% of my money coming from McDonald's. Debbie has been working with me the last three years or so. As a matter of fact, she's in Sarasota tonight to run a job for me there tomorrow. :)

Cuda
09-18-2005, 10:11 PM
Cuda,
Ever thought about getting one of those hamburger stands?
I have heard it is easier to get into Ft Knox than break into that bubble. Nice work. You skills guy's make me envious.
You have to have $2.5 mill before they will talk to you. :(

Tile work doesn't pay that well! :)

olredalert
09-18-2005, 10:18 PM
Hey George,

--------Have you figured out these new fangled phones yet??? Damn things dont have any cords or anything. Whats up with that???.........Bill S

Jraysray
09-18-2005, 10:19 PM
No crap?
A buddy of mine bought one about 15 years ago. They wanted $250,000 free and clear in the bank prior to applying.

You have to have $2.5 mill before they will talk to you. :(

Tile work doesn't pay that well! :)

gcarter
09-18-2005, 10:21 PM
Hey George,

--------Have you figured out these new fangled phones yet??? Damn things dont have any cords or anything. Whats up with that???.........Bill S
All I know is Elaine won't let out of the house w/o mine!!!
No respect!! :banghead:
But I do miss the rotary dial... :D

Jraysray
09-18-2005, 10:34 PM
LAST REAL TEXAN (in GA???)
What do you import? Never know...

Import stuff from Eastern Europe and wholesale it here in the states...no not dope.

My moto ...Buy Low and Sell High.

Bryan

BUIZILLA
09-18-2005, 10:37 PM
I'm a Fire Hydrant Technician

:rolleyes:

Jraysray
09-18-2005, 10:40 PM
Public hydrant's only or fire systems? How many people know the difference between a hydrant system down south vs up north? Buzz will tell you.

I'm a Fire Hydrant Technician

:rolleyes:

jackl1969
09-18-2005, 11:06 PM
Jraysray do you work straight days or shift work? I am going to try to get out this week sometime.

Jraysray
09-18-2005, 11:06 PM
4/10's no shift. What do you run?

Jraysray do you work straight days or shift work? I am going to try to get out this week sometime.

jackl1969
09-18-2005, 11:19 PM
22' Classic 454 mag

synack
09-18-2005, 11:29 PM
I'm a sr. business telecom analyst specializing is Cisco voice over IP telephone systems.

As I side job, I somehow willingly support several marinas by regularly buying expensive gas and expensive replacement parts for my Donzi. ;-)

farmer tx
09-19-2005, 12:22 AM
Guess ??

Do you know how to make a small fortune farming?
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
Start with a large one.
:bonk:

ChromeGorilla
09-19-2005, 12:23 AM
Currently unemployed..... I just got out of the military and I am in search of gainfull employment...... :yes:

Magicallbill
09-19-2005, 02:04 AM
I am a full-time drummer.
I am currently in a band called The Flying Toasters with my son Jason(Another Donzi owner.)
Past work includes.....
Duke Tumatoe&The Power Trio
Henry Lee Summer Band
Recorded for and have appeared on The Bob&Tom Morning Radio Show.

We perform 3-4 nites a week with the Toasters,which is why I can never make a Donzi Gathering.

Carl C
09-19-2005, 08:01 AM
Jraysray, I own and operate "CDs & More" in the Dixieland Flea Market in Waterford, Mich. I started out 7 years ago to make a little extra cash and took it to a level I never thought possible. I sell used CDs, DVDs and video games. I only have to work weekends and Fri. evenings! This makes it tough to participate in weekend events but I love the hours and having the lake almost to myself all week. Also, no pesky cops with radar guns weekdays!!!:yippie:

Craig S
09-19-2005, 08:50 AM
Teacher here.

Surfer
09-19-2005, 08:55 AM
Sound and video systems design engineer, for commercial properties.

Rootsy
09-19-2005, 09:02 AM
Guess ??

Do you know how to make a small fortune farming?
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
Start with a large one.
:bonk:

What? you mean the representative from PA was lying? he justified his last raise by saying that immigrant dairy farm workers were pulling down 50K a year.. :boggled:

me? i stayed at a holiday inn once so now i can do ANYTHING i want to :)

JR

Carl C
09-19-2005, 09:05 AM
Teacher here. All summer off! That's almost as good as my hours!:wavey:

boldts
09-19-2005, 10:35 AM
Occupation: Nationwide Insurance Data Center Technician working 3, 12 hour days. Nice to have 4 days a week off, but it usually is spent working over-time for someone else burnt out on 12 hour days and needing to get away for a while.

Spare Time: The Midwest Donzi Club - Something I started 5 years ago with the help of many here on the Registry. At the time, I owned an 18' 1969 H/M Classic. Never saw another Donzi on the lakes of Central Ohio. So, the club was formed as a way to both share our love of Donzi boats and give other owners a website to meet owners from their area of the country. I'm currently working on an update to the club website to better list the members, their boats along with give the look something new.

Then there is our annual gathering called: Awakening of the Horses or AOTH for short. I usually try to forget about this until about Oct. or Nov., but I'm currently investigating the possibilities of changing the location of AOTH for next year. It's hard to believe that this Donzi gathering all started from myself and a couple Cincinnati owners saying lets go to Lake Cumberland for a weekend. Like I said, not seeing a lot of Donzis' here in OH, I said: "Why not invite every owner across the USA?"

Me? 5'6", Blonde with blue eyes, 45 yrs old, about 160lbs. Very quiet, patient, full of answers for those questioning at AOTH, organizational skills need a little work, but also pretty level headed. Do'in it because of the love and joy of not only Donzi boats, but the people who own them.

Sport
09-19-2005, 10:51 AM
I'm in charge of business development for the South East for Davit Master. I also run all of their E-commerce.

www.davitmaster.com

Sport !

goatee
09-19-2005, 11:31 AM
i own a tanning salon, and most recently,, opened up a landscaping business.

Craig S
09-19-2005, 11:49 AM
All summer off! That's almost as good as my hours!:wavey:

Yours hours are better. btw, our summers aren't like yours...

joel3078
09-19-2005, 12:36 PM
Real name is Joel Ek. Live in Buffalo, MN and do work as a project manager for daytime job. Nite job is my own computer business for 20 some years. Check out www.joelek.com (http://www.joelek.com/).

Stretch our short summers out to the fullest by riding the Harley or Donzi. Went to Tomahawk fall Harley ride this weekend in eastern Wisconsin. Abour 45,000 people. Lots of fun, it's like a scalled back Sturgis event.

FOSTER
09-19-2005, 01:35 PM
30 years on the road, mostly local, home nights.

myfinancialadviser
09-19-2005, 01:47 PM
Independent financial adviser in Detroit area. Woehler Financial Group. Owner

Richard Rees
09-19-2005, 02:52 PM
I have the same job that Wes has, while the wife's at work, I clean house, do laundry, dishes, etc. I don't do windows.

florida gator
09-19-2005, 03:45 PM
Asst VP of Business Banking, Amsouth Bank.

txtaz
09-19-2005, 05:07 PM
I have the same job that Wes has, while the wife's at work, I clean house, do laundry, dishes, etc. I don't do windows.
OK Bucko, You're going to get it for this one. I don't clean house... :beer:
In all honesty I am a computer engineer with a scientific backgroud and a very strong business sense. "I make business happen". Good motto huh?
Wes

TuxedoPk
09-19-2005, 06:28 PM
Me? 5'6", Blonde with blue eyes, 45 yrs old, about 160lbs. Very quiet, patient

Scott- Better check out your system. Your match.com posts are ending up on the board :)

Team Hula Girl
09-19-2005, 08:14 PM
I test drive boats during the day and roll around in fiberglass dust the rest of the time.

John

gold-n-rod
09-19-2005, 08:37 PM
OK, I'm in for this one. I am on the faculty at a Big Ten university and my wife is a 5th grade teacher.

We consider ourselves most fortunate to be able to indulge ourselves in such luxuries as a summer home and boats (not to overlook good health, family and friends).

:cool:

Extreme Measures
09-19-2005, 10:20 PM
Hey Carl do you think we are pesky because we have radar gun? We dont alway have them with us up here in Canada.Sometimes the guys in the cars take our to have extras for highway patrol.We have a new one now that works great it is a laser radar.I got a guy 2 weeks ago doing 165km in a 100 km zone I got him at 1020 meters aways with the laser.Take care Chris

boldts
09-19-2005, 10:26 PM
Sorry Tux..... I didn't have a picture to post, so I thought a description would be just as good. Anyway, I'm the short guy on the right in this picture. Hope to meet as many of you as possible at a gathering soon!

Extreme Measures
09-19-2005, 10:54 PM
This is a picture of me in uniform with my beautiful wife.I will look for a picture of her in uniform.We don't have any pictures of both of us in uniform as of yet.Take Care Chris

CHACHI
09-20-2005, 06:21 AM
National sales manager for an independent compounder/blender of high performance lubricants for the motorcycle, snowmoblie, and motorsports industry. Ken

Carl C
09-20-2005, 08:33 AM
Hey Carl do you think we are pesky because we have radar gun? We dont alway have them with us up here in Canada.Sometimes the guys in the cars take our to have extras for highway patrol.We have a new one now that works great it is a laser radar.I got a guy 2 weeks ago doing 165km in a 100 km zone I got him at 1020 meters aways with the laser.Take care Chris I expect to look out for radar on the highway, but I go boating to get away from all the BS. I don't need an over ambitious cop hiding in the bushes near the boat launch trying to zap me with a radar gun. They do this on Lake Oakland. Ask any of the Lk. Oakland Donziers. A police presence is needed on weekends when things get crazy but who am I bothering by going 73 MPH around an almost empty lake? I attached my radar detector to my boat ('05 22C) but it looked tacky so I removed it. Radar/laser detectors are illegal in Canada so I drive a little slower up there.:beer:

Rootsy
09-20-2005, 08:46 AM
last i knew michigan had this thingy called a speed limit on lakes...of 55 mph unless otherwise posted SLOWER... lord knows i don't often obey it but there is a time and place for it (like when you KNOW there are no cops or pissy neighbors around).. i mean hell the 16 at like 3700 rpm CRUISE exceeds the speed limit :rolleyes: now if you have onna dem dere ski boats you don't have to worry bout it...

next episode... just what IS a decibel anyway :smash:

MainBrain
09-20-2005, 11:43 AM
I own an advertising agency. www.brainstorms.net

We do alot of Marine Marketing, including Donzi and their sister company Pro-Line Boats. For the record, we're the creators of the infamous Donzi Girl Ad, as well as many of the other favorites you've complemented on in years past.
We're not that active with Donzi these days, moreso with Pro-Line.

http://www.donzi.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=14940&stc=1

RickSE
09-20-2005, 07:04 PM
Mechanical Engineer, working for W.L. Gore & Associates, the Gore-TEX people. I work in our Medical Division designing the custom machines and tooling we use to make our products. All of our products are Teflon based for implanting in the human body. Lots of cool stuff that helps extend and improve people’s lives.

I also help my dad sell Donzi & Proline boats when I can.

Donzi Di
09-20-2005, 07:59 PM
Technical instructor - teaching mostly the products put out by Rational Software (now IBM). Working in the IT area of an insurance company - at least for the moment.

onesubdrvr
09-20-2005, 08:08 PM
Well,

I'm an industrial equipment mechanic - primarily air compressors, but "do" nitrogen generators, a little refrigerant work, and even less these days diesel work. That's my day job, night job, Dad - checking homework, disciplining and praising children, weekends, home repairs mostly, and hey, every once in a while, I get to go boating, or at least wash the darn thing

My wife is VP for Oculina Bank in Ft. Pierce by day, by night, Mom, weekends, laundry, cleaning house, cracking whip on home repair guy!!

Seriously, my most difficult job is being a parent!!

As far as the money earning job,....I think I'm gonna change careers

Wayne

mattyboy
09-20-2005, 09:10 PM
nuclear physisist part-time brain surgeon oh and the lake george pirate on weekends ;)

gcarter
09-21-2005, 06:28 AM
nuclear physisist part-time brain surgeon oh and the lake george pirate on weekends ;)
Somebody lied to me!!!!
I always heard you were a stand up comedian.

mattyboy
09-21-2005, 11:19 AM
Somebody lied to me!!!!
I always heard you were a stand up comedian.

sure make fun of a guy trying to start out fresh :rolleyes:

If I was trying to be funny I would have said I was in the restoration field, where I take the windshield off of miata's install a weenie bar, fill the oil with 5w-40 synthetic, foam in the air bags, repower with a ford motor plant, and finish the dash with a custom carbon fiber look from my patented chopper gun, then give it a more regal name like reggiata, and sell to the liberal media and the church :eek:

gcarter
09-21-2005, 01:07 PM
sure make fun of a guy trying to start out fresh :rolleyes:

If I was trying to be funny I would have said I was in the restoration field, where I take the windshield off of miata's install a weenie bar, fill the oil with 5w-40 synthetic, foam in the air bags, repower with a ford motor plant, and finish the dash with a custom carbon fiber look from my patented chopper gun, then give it a more regal name like reggiata, and sell to the liberal media and the church :eek:
Hmmmm;
Sounds like a business plan!

donzi182003
09-21-2005, 01:26 PM
Project manager at Civil Engineering firm. Working on my Engineering degree. Almost there!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

EricG
09-21-2005, 04:00 PM
I'm the I.T. Manager for a midsize Cable TV company...most of our offices are in the South (GA, NC, SC, and MS) and Texas, I work in our corporate office here in downtown Seattle but I spend about 40-50% of my time out in the offices accross the country. And even though I'm in I.T. - I hate computers... :kaioken:.

My soon-to-be wife is an accountant who doesn't balance her checkbook, so I guess we are normal.

-EG

Formula Jr
09-21-2005, 09:10 PM
Asking what someone does in Eugene, as in Careers, is never taken seriously,
and is usually asked by new comers. Doesn't matter what it was. It will either change every two years, or they will have to move.

Rootsy
09-22-2005, 06:42 AM
ahem (sucking on my pipe)... on a serious not...

i'm a meekinekel injunur... :wink:

LGMAZ
09-22-2005, 01:19 PM
Greeting card salesman.

Carl C
09-22-2005, 01:31 PM
ahem (sucking on my pipe)... on a serious not...

i'm a meekinekel injunur... :wink:watcha got in that pipe, Rootsy?:cool:

Craig S
09-22-2005, 02:37 PM
Well,

checking homework, praising children,

Wayne

I wish more would do that. Tough job!

Donzigo
09-22-2005, 07:16 PM
Sales Representative for a manufacturer of technical products in the Florida area.

My other job is to re-build Z-Boat Donzis from the fiberglass hull to completion..............and to take rides on John Mitchell's many various boats about to be shipped to millionaires, when he comes by my dock and blows the horn and uses the side thrusters that are impressive as hell, (See Hula Girl's job description)..........and lest I forget, to take pictures of the Nates "Women-Du-Jour" that he shows up with at Shell Island, for posting on the Donzi Registry

Team Hula Girl
09-22-2005, 09:13 PM
Sales Representative for an International manufacturer in the Central Florida territory from Stuart to Daytona Beach on the East side and Ocala to Naples on the West side of Florida.

My other job is to re-build Z-Boat Donzis from fiberglass hull to completion..............and to take rides on John Mitchell's many various boats about to be shipped to millionaires, when comes by my dock, (See Hula Girl's job description)..........and to take pictures of the many women that Nate shows up with at Shell Island for posting on the Donzi Registry

Richard, I will be by tommorrow with a nice one with 900 horsepower. With the six foot swells in the gulf it should be a fun day.

J Mitch

Jraysray
09-25-2005, 02:33 PM
See, when you put politics, religion and what ever else puts a burr in your a$$ aside we all have something in common. PAYING FREAKIN' TAXES!!!!!

If you lean left or right does it really matter on a DONZI web site?

Thanks for your replies. I enjoy the witty banter here, but take a break sometimes.

As for me and my lovely bride, we lean more towards the margarita machine.

:sombrero: OLE!

Sagbay32
09-25-2005, 09:16 PM
Another fine read....keep up the posts!

I work down the street from Carl C. I am an Inspector for the Road Commission for Oakland County. Yes I am responsible for the newly constructed roads that you drive down and say "wow....that was smooth".

*disclaimer:
I am not responsible for all the potholes, orange barrels, lane closures, road closures closed bridges, or snowy/ icy roads that you try to drive down.

Mike

joseph m. hahnl
09-26-2005, 06:31 PM
I work in hell ! A.K.A. a Machine shop. As a CNC programmer,setup, operator.and inspector by day. but my real passion is porno. i preform reguarly
at night with my under cover girl."no pictures please" Who by day is a green house keeper.

joe

gold-n-rod
09-26-2005, 07:27 PM
Another fine read....keep up the posts!

I work down the street from Carl C. I am an Inspector for the Road Commission for Oakland County. Yes I am responsible for the newly constructed roads that you drive down and say "wow....that was smooth".

*disclaimer:
I am not responsible for all the potholes, orange barrels, lane closures, road closures closed bridges, or snowy/ icy roads that you try to drive down.

Mike

Ah yes, reminds me of the old question, "What's orange and sleeps three?"

"A road commission truck!!!!!!!!"

Sorry, I couldn't resist. :biggrin:

Sagbay32
09-26-2005, 07:50 PM
Another Randy,
Too funny! :jestera:
I know I've heard them all. You wouldn't believe the employee handbook we have now due to morons being caught doing the most ridiculous things in the past. I usually have to add that I am in Engineering/Construction not maintenance when I say I work for the Road Commission. :frown:

I left the private sector due to threatening layoffs. Now I am not so sure it was the best move. I want to move back to the water and be a Marina Rat.

Mike

gold-n-rod
09-26-2005, 08:07 PM
Another Randy,
Too funny! :jestera:
I know I've heard them all. You wouldn't believe the employee handbook we have now due to morons being caught doing the most ridiculous things in the past. I usually have to add that I am in Engineering/Construction not maintenance when I say I work for the Road Commission. :frown:

I left the private sector due to threatening layoffs. Now I am not so sure it was the best move. I want to move back to the water and be a Marina Rat.

Mike

Since you know I am just funnin' wit' ya, Mike, here's another one for all to enjoy.....

Two road commission workers went out on a pothole job and when they got there, realized they'd forgotten their shovels. They called the dispatcher to request they send someone out right away with some shovels.

The dispatcher agreed and added, "I guess that until someone gets out there, you'll have to lean on each other!!!!!!" :bonk: :rlol:

Sagbay32
09-26-2005, 08:19 PM
Driving in Detroit

1. First, you must learn to pronounce the city name. It's Di-troit, NOT
DEE-troit. If you pronounce it DEE-Troit then we will assume you are
from Toledo and here for the country Music hoe-down.

2. Forget the traffic rules you learned elsewhere. Detroit has its own
version of traffic rules... Hold on and pray!

3. The morning rush hour is from 6:00 am to 10:00 am. The evening rush
hour is from 3:00 pm to 7:00 pm. Friday's rush hour starts Thursday
morning. Weekends are open game.

4. If you actually stop at a yellow light, you will be rear-ended,
cussed out and possibly shot. If you're first off the starting line when
the light turns green, count to five before going. This will avoid
getting in the way of cross-traffic who just ran their yellow light to
keep from getting shot.

5. Schoenherr can ONLY be properly pronounced by a native of the Detroit
metro area. That goes for Gratiot too.

6. Construction and renovation on I-94,I-96, I-75, I-275, I-375, The
Lodge and The Southfield Freeways are a way of life. Just deal with it.

7. If someone actually has their turn signal on, it is probably a
factory defect or they are "out-of-towners."

8. All old men with white hair wearing a hat have total right-of-way.

9. The minimum acceptable speed on I-696 is 85 regardless of the posted
speeds, anything less is considered downright SISSY. Oh, and don't even
think of allowing more than one car length between cars!

10. That attractive wrought iron on the windows and doors in Detroit is
NOT ornamental. DO NOT get out of your car.

11. Never stare at the driver of the car with the bumper sticker that
reads "Keep honking, I'm reloading."

12. If you are in the left lane, and only going 70 in a 60 mph zone,
people are not waving 'because they are so friendly in Detroit. I would
suggest you duck.

13. I-275/I-696 is our daily version of NASCAR.

14. It’s not M-10, it's "the Lodge".

15. That's not a lake, it's a pothole.

16. If someone tells you it's on Outer Drive, you better hope you have a
map.

17. The left turn is simple. If you want to turn left, go a 1/4 of a
mile past your turn, get to the left, then make a left, then make a
right. NOW you have gone left.

Sorry, I couldn't resist.
Mike

chappy
09-26-2005, 08:23 PM
Recreation director for a vacation resort. I tell everyone who asks about boating, you must make the time to use your boat, if not, you're one of the clowns who claims that a boat is a hole in the water you pour money into. If you don't enjoy working and cleaning boats, don't buy one.

Best of Luck,

Rich

gcarter
09-26-2005, 09:25 PM
Driving in Detroit

1. First, you must learn to pronounce the city name. It's Di-troit, NOT
DEE-troit. If you pronounce it DEE-Troit then we will assume you are
from Toledo and here for the country Music hoe-down.

2. Forget the traffic rules you learned elsewhere. Detroit has its own
version of traffic rules... Hold on and pray!

3. The morning rush hour is from 6:00 am to 10:00 am. The evening rush
hour is from 3:00 pm to 7:00 pm. Friday's rush hour starts Thursday
morning. Weekends are open game.

4. If you actually stop at a yellow light, you will be rear-ended,
cussed out and possibly shot. If you're first off the starting line when
the light turns green, count to five before going. This will avoid
getting in the way of cross-traffic who just ran their yellow light to
keep from getting shot.

5. Schoenherr can ONLY be properly pronounced by a native of the Detroit
metro area. That goes for Gratiot too.

6. Construction and renovation on I-94,I-96, I-75, I-275, I-375, The
Lodge and The Southfield Freeways are a way of life. Just deal with it.

7. If someone actually has their turn signal on, it is probably a
factory defect or they are "out-of-towners."

8. All old men with white hair wearing a hat have total right-of-way.

9. The minimum acceptable speed on I-696 is 85 regardless of the posted
speeds, anything less is considered downright SISSY. Oh, and don't even
think of allowing more than one car length between cars!

10. That attractive wrought iron on the windows and doors in Detroit is
NOT ornamental. DO NOT get out of your car.

11. Never stare at the driver of the car with the bumper sticker that
reads "Keep honking, I'm reloading."

12. If you are in the left lane, and only going 70 in a 60 mph zone,
people are not waving 'because they are so friendly in Detroit. I would
suggest you duck.

13. I-275/I-696 is our daily version of NASCAR.

14. It’s not M-10, it's "the Lodge".

15. That's not a lake, it's a pothole.

16. If someone tells you it's on Outer Drive, you better hope you have a
map.

17. The left turn is simple. If you want to turn left, go a 1/4 of a
mile past your turn, get to the left, then make a left, then make a
right. NOW you have gone left.

Sorry, I couldn't resist.
Mike
These are all things I learned in the '80's when I lived and worked there.
I guess things haven't changed much.