PDA

View Full Version : Help with fan belts and pulley treatments

TheFees
09-17-2005, 10:01 PM
It seems that I am forever adjusting fan belts, at least every few times I go out. I have an 18 classic 350 mag, and I coat the entire motor every winter with a 50/50 mix of WD-40 and motor oil. I try to keep it off of the belts. I have removed belts and sanded pulleys before. I figure any rust, or coarseness to the surface, and you are slowly grinding away at the surface of your belts.
I was wondering if anyone had a good belt remedy. How do you protect the pulleys from rusting during the off season? How do you prevent the oil mix from making the belt slip, creating a sanding effect? I have tried Mercruiser belts, and Goodyear equivalents. Anyone have any ideas on the difference between Mercruiser belts and off the shelf ones? Thanks ahead of time. Bob

Mr X
09-18-2005, 08:18 AM
All the pulleys I have ever seen on marine engines are painted..........??

Even the big blower pulleys on my 575SCI are painted.

MOP
09-18-2005, 09:53 AM
I lightly spray mine with rust preventitive while I am flushing to keep them clean. I have no belt dust and in the 70+ hours I have on the new Merc belts have only done a 2nd adjustment thus far this year. The pulleys were freshly painted but that wore off at 1K!

Phil

TheFees
09-19-2005, 12:07 PM
All the pulleys I have ever seen on marine engines are painted..........??

Even the big blower pulleys on my 575SCI are painted. I had painted them in the past. Took them off, thorougly prepped and painted them. It wore off quickly. I wonder what Mercruiser does with their paint, is it powder coated?

Mr X
09-19-2005, 12:36 PM
Good point, I bet they are powder coated.

Rootsy
09-19-2005, 01:39 PM
Good point, I bet they are powder coated.

or if they are aluminum i would be they are anodized...