PDA

View Full Version : Noise Ordanence

wolfgang1
09-17-2005, 02:53 PM
I got pulled over by the Sheriff and he wrote me a warning and wants to test my boat for noise. I have a stock Donzi 1988 Z21 with a 350 Magnum. I am going to test next week. The boat has to be under 82 db. Does anyone have any idea what the db level of this boat should be and if I'm over, what are my options?

Thanks

Joe

Jraysray
09-17-2005, 06:00 PM
I have always wondered if you get a higher db rating if they test you on the water vs at the dock prior to putting in. Will the dosimeter pick up the reverb off the water?

gold-n-rod
09-17-2005, 07:10 PM
I have always wondered if you get a higher db rating if they test you on the water vs at the dock prior to putting in. Will the dosimeter pick up the reverb off the water?

Plus, if you don't have switchable exhaust, the cooling water will silence the exhaust, too. Don't test dry.

Craig S
09-17-2005, 07:18 PM

Does Clearlake have that ordinance?:rolleyes:

Jraysray
09-17-2005, 09:23 PM
Does Clearlake have that ordinance?:rolleyes:

The only ordinance that I have ever heard of is that you have to have a wet exhaust.

The guy I bought mine from said that my exhaust tips brought ot down below 90 db. He said that was legal anywhere in TX. He said a cop tested him at the dock. 90db at idle maybe, WOT, dunno. Doubt it though.

mattyboy
09-18-2005, 08:09 AM
Guys
most states have noise laws on the books and are written very specifically as to how where when and by who can administer the test I suggest you read your local laws and see if the tester is "qualified"

In NY the tester must be certified to use the db meter and the meter must also be calibrated before testing, things such as docks and wind conditions must also be accounted for, if it's too windy they can't test, it can't be done at the dock, the test boat must be tied off at 3.5 feet from the stern ,
if you know the law it makes it harder for them to bamboozle you,
so most warnings on our lake are meaning less since the patrol has no meter or certification to perform the test

if all else fails, mufflers or tips can be used to quiet the motor well unless this is one of the z boats with the side exit pipes then it probably has to be done in the engine hatch

synack
09-18-2005, 01:59 PM
Maybe it'll be like the IASCA sound offs for car stereos... the highest dbs wins the prize! ;-)

joseph m. hahnl
09-26-2005, 07:15 PM
I got pulled over by the Sheriff and he wrote me a warning and wants to test my boat for noise. I have a stock Donzi 1988 Z21 with a 350 Magnum. I am going to test next week. The boat has to be under 82 db. Does anyone have any idea what the db level of this boat should be and if I'm over, what are my options?

Thanks

Joe.
Sounds like your going to a Testing Facility? I put gibson muffler tips on mine .They have a certificate of complience with them of 88 dbs or better. NH is 84 dbs for my year of boat . i am planing on an inline muffler in the rubber exhaust hose to pull it down another 4 dbs. I suspect that if you have straight thru the hull no muffling what so ever you won't pass. If your going just to see then don't worry about it. If your going to get a ticket if it doesn't pass
you should get mufflers.If you can't get some in time I would suggest poping off the coil wire so it won't start to buy some time to get the mufflers.
It's your dollar!

joe
ps: it's funny how all the states have different db ratings:kaioken: