PDA

View Full Version : boat sunk in lift !!!!

marcdups
09-16-2005, 05:43 PM
Bilge pump went out during a bad week of rain, covered batteries and switch and seems to have fried nearly everything, wires, switch, starter, trim pump and solenoids. With that much electricity in the water before the batteries died, do you think there might be some internal damage to bearings, gears etc, need some input please, thanks in advance, Marc :banghead: :banghead:

Engine is a 5.0 MPI Mercruiser with alpha drive !!

onesubdrvr
09-16-2005, 05:46 PM
Bilge pump went out during a bad week of rain, covered batteries and switch and seems to have fried nearly everything, wires, switch, starter, trim pump and solenoids. With that much electricity in the water before the batteries died, do you think there might be some internal damage to bearings, gears etc, need some input please, thanks in advance, Marc :banghead: :banghead:

Engine is a 5.0 MPI Mercruiser with alpha drive !!

Marc, no advice, just wanted to say I feel for ya, that sucks,......

good luck getting it back to normal!!

Wayne

MOP
09-16-2005, 06:56 PM
Mark I have raised more then a few salt (excellent electrolyte) sinkers, I truly doubt if the engine will have any internal damage. Look at the front seal by the balancer, oil pan etc any thing tin that stuff can rust pretty quick. Look things over good and mail me with questions if you need help.

Phil

Chili 18
09-16-2005, 07:04 PM
My Guess is that it wasnt enough to do serious galvonic damage to internals. Rewire, Change all lubes and fluids, grease all fittings.

Did water enter the cylenders? Presumig it didnt get that high.

After back in action, change oil and perhaps other fluids that got wet after a short period. Starter may be ok after its all dried out..

Just guesses mind you... Wish you the best with your boat!!

Cuda
09-16-2005, 07:34 PM
Fresh or salt water?

marcdups
09-16-2005, 07:41 PM
Cuda SALT, all the lugs off the wires that were under water are green and have fried the lugs off, all positive terminals ahve sheered themselves off the wires, looks like they boiled, everything is green, all fuse links have been destroyed, wondering if ECU is still good, was told by someone in the industry that everything should be replaced, even the steering cable ???? :puke:

richardoren
09-16-2005, 08:00 PM
Hi,

I'm can't reply firsthand to your plight, but have read salvaged boat descriptions during auctions. Many claim that the boat was sunk, but that after drying the engines run. So the main issue is going to be rust/corrosion. The wiring may be tougher as switches and circuits may need to be replaced.

If you're on a budget (who isn't these days) you could befriend the mechanic at a marine salvage yard not too far from your place. He/she might be willing to run some checks and do some rehab work on your boat for a reasonable price, on weekends or whatever. Easier than roughing it on your own, and maybe safer for your future boating?

Cheers,

Richard

Cuda
09-16-2005, 08:54 PM
I'd drain all the fluids immediately, and fill the crankcase with kerosene or diesel, as much as it will hold. I'd pull the plugs and fill the cylinders too.

Chili 18
09-16-2005, 09:04 PM
Hou sunk was this boat? How much of the boat was underwater?

MOP
09-16-2005, 10:15 PM
Mark you said "Sunk in the Lift"! Sunk in salt is a bit more different! You need get it running as soon as possible! Is it carbed? I hope so! Sinking an EFI is an out & out bitch compared and should be handled by a compitant shop, snake oils and BS will do trust me 30+ years doing this crap!!!!!!!!!

Phil