PDA

View Full Version : Need Engine Oil Recommendation

myfinancialadviser
09-16-2005, 05:36 PM
Curious to what everyone is using and Im open to recommendations.
Ive got small blocks 350's bored to 383's. 400 horse a piece.
Usings some hi-performance kendall currently. Would like to know if there is anything better out there for high performance motors. thanks

Chili 18
09-16-2005, 11:42 PM
Mobil 1 20-50 V-twin 4 cycle motorcycle High Performance full synthetic.

Doesent break down after long fast runs. Best of the pack. $$$$

Search the boards, lots of info.

MOP
09-17-2005, 09:57 AM
I am running a similar setup, full Lunati stroker Pro Mod kit, roller cam and rockers. I am running Kendall 20-50 GT1, From what I have read and been told that if you are full roller stay with Dino oil until you get some time on the engine. Synthetic is to slippery for a new engine a tappet roller can stick go flat and ruin the cam, once that happens you need to tear it down. My machinist has a few on his shelf to prove the point. I go through an over kill break in oil change regimen with new engines, with about 75 hours on it I push about ½ quart through in about 4 hours running time and still change every 25 hours there after.

Phil

mrfixxall
10-19-2005, 09:50 AM
mobile 1 15w50 with a qt of lucas pil treatment,,,because the mobile one is soo slick i wont cling to your engine parts after its been sitting for a long period of time,,thats ware the lucas cones in........

CHACHI
10-19-2005, 11:37 AM
mobile 1 15w50 with a qt of lucas pil treatment,,,because the mobile one is soo slick i wont cling to your engine parts after its been sitting for a long period of time,,thats ware the lucas cones in........Mr fixxall...if Mobil thought that their lubricant was so slick that it wouldn't cling to parts......don't you think that they would of added it to the blend instead of making the public oil blenders. As a person who has been employed by the lubricant industry for 20+ years, viscosity improvers (which most oil additives are) were probally necessary at one time. However with modern day synthetic base stocks and low shear polymers ,additives such as viscositiy improvers are not necessary. If you feel that you have to add these to your engine oil to improve the viscosity....just buy a heavier viscosity lubricant ie;20w50 instead of 15w50. The heavier base stock will do the same thing. You will end up spending less and have a better fluid. Ken

Budmann
10-19-2005, 03:46 PM
Mobile 1...Mobile 1 :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

mphatc
10-19-2005, 07:48 PM
Redline
IMHO, building high revving road race engines for a living . . 200- 300 hp 2.3 liter 4 cylinders that run at 6-8k for hours on end. . .
With Mobl 1 I've seen lower end wear, with Redline I've seen engines survive oil starvation . . high g turns on track, much like big waves and hard turns . . .

Remember a marine engine never is in cruise mode, even when running along at a "cruise" that engine is working harder than a comparible auto application. The higher critical temperature base stock of the Redline will not break down here.

I've rebuilt engines that have 4 laps w/o coolant at Watkins Glen , that came in to the pit smoking cause all the wiring of the engine harness was melting and smoking, upon disassembly the bearings, cylinderwalls and cam lobes were all fine, as new. The head was warped .017" , burnt and a piece of recycling. This engine had Redline 15-50.

Something else to consider , many of the older Donzis with Volvo drives do not have oil coolers . . . and I think some of us run them harder today than when they were new . . . .

Mario L.

mrfixxall
10-25-2005, 04:04 PM
minxguy,,try this put mobile one in a jar shake it up put iy on a shelf in your garage and see if theirs still oil stuck to the cap in the spring and let me know.... i know your the oil expert but try it........

txtaz
10-25-2005, 04:30 PM
OMG here we go again.
AMZOIL....
Da TAz stiring the pot

DonCig
10-26-2005, 12:01 AM
Remeber the days when we use to talk about the wonderful smell of Castor Oil 'Castrol"

CHACHI
10-26-2005, 10:07 AM
minxguy,,try this put mobile one in a jar shake it up put iy on a shelf in your garage and see if theirs still oil stuck to the cap in the spring and let me know.... i know your the oil expert but try it........mrfixall, I did not say that I was an expert, all I said was that I have 20+ years in the oil industry. That being said, all oils will "drain" off of vertical surfaces, oils that are on horizontal surfaces will tend to show a heavier oil film. The heavier the base stock the lubricant was formulated with, the longer it will take to "drain" off a vertical surface. A 25w-60 lubricant will take longer to "drain" than a 20w-50 which will take longer than a 10w40. Although the surface may look "dry" there is still an oil film on the surface which is carrying the anti-wear additive package and the anti-rust package to protect the metal surfaces from rust and to provide an oil film upon start up in the spring. These additives are "polar" which means that they have an attraction to the metal surfaces and will stay there for years. When you start additizing a lubricant you may be doing more harm than good. All modern lubricants are a blend of "chemicals" that work in harmony with one another. What one lubricant manufacture might use for a detergent package may be entirely different from anothers. It would be like adding more flour to a Betty Crocker cake mix without trying to chemically balance the rest of the mix. ie baking powder, baking soda, etc. Yes, when a person adds a viscoisity improver to a lubricant the results could be very impressive, hell Andy Granatelli sold tons of STP after dipping the tip of a screw driver in the stuff. As I said in my previous post, if you have to a a viscosity modifier to your oil to make it "thicker" just buy a heavier viscosity to begin with.

CHACHI
10-26-2005, 10:10 AM
Remeber the days when we use to talk about the wonderful smell of Castor Oil 'Castrol"If only Estee Lauder or Chanel can get that fragrance in a bottle my bride has a new perfume. Ken

Pismo
10-27-2005, 11:12 AM
http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/showthread.php?t=107808

Everything you need to know and a whole lot more...Mobil 1 VTwin 20-50 is the conclusion tho.

Forrest
11-01-2005, 11:08 AM
Redline . . .

. . . many of the older Donzis with Volvo drives do not have oil coolers . . . and I think some of us run them harder today than when they were new . . . .

Mario L.

Redline MT90 is the best thing that I ever used in a Volvo Aquamatic drive. It makes it shift very smooth, and the drive runs extra cool with the stuff.