PDA

View Full Version : 496 HO CMI Headers

undertaker
09-16-2005, 10:47 AM
This has been talked about on other boards, BUT the new CMI exhaust for the 496 HO's looks nice are a little pricey but IMO I will pay a little more for something that looks good ( I know sounds dumb :biggrin: ) what does everyone think about these puppies, might be a winter project :biggrin: :biggrin: .

Undertaker :spongebob

Lenny
09-16-2005, 10:49 AM
http://www.custommarine.com/media/2005-07-11_496.html

http://www.custommarine.com/media/images/hires/hires_CMI496SportTubePerformancePackage.jpg

Pismo
09-16-2005, 10:50 AM
Sounds like a good, quick and easy way to get up to 482hp according to PBoat Mag. No more switchable exhaust tho.

undertaker
09-16-2005, 01:37 PM
You can not do switchable exhaust??? I see the pic does not show it. Just curious!!

Undertaker :shades:

Pismo
09-16-2005, 01:59 PM
Corsa Q&Q and Merc's SChoice won't fit. You have to get switchable tips or CMI used to sell a switchable setup that is very expensive that may fit.

Shanghied Again
09-16-2005, 03:15 PM
Why can't you use switchable? The 525 with CMI you can so I can't see why not on the 496.

ChromeGorilla
09-16-2005, 03:32 PM
Switchable is for old ladies and babies..... straight pipes hooya! :biggrin:

DonCig
09-16-2005, 04:28 PM
This comment from the guy that bought a Bimini Shade on the Donzi auction last week!

blackhawk
09-16-2005, 04:29 PM
Sounds like a good, quick and easy way to get up to 482hp according to PBoat Mag. No more switchable exhaust tho.

482 at the prop or at the crank?

ChromeGorilla
09-16-2005, 06:37 PM
This comment from the guy that bought a Bimini Shade on the Donzi auction last week!

Oh you so funny! :tongue: It's not a bimini! It's a portable shade tyvm.....just ask the resident in house expert Cuda....... there is a difference! :wink:

roadtrip se
09-16-2005, 09:48 PM
I've got Corsa Q&Q from the factory original rigging tied into my CMI header tails.

Works just fine.

Pismo
09-17-2005, 09:51 AM
Road & Shangh

I am sure it does work on these other applications that you are talking about, but the NEW 496HO CMIs (which is what we are talking about) will not work with Corsa Q&Q or Merc's SChoice. You have to go with switchable tips or CMIs expensive switch system. That twin 525 setup is fantastic.... Look at the pic, you would have to remove the included tailpiece and replace it with the CMI switchable tail or equivalent, or fabricate something. So now you are changing the design and so there goes the 482hp to some degree.

roadtrip se
09-17-2005, 11:24 AM
Road & Shangh

I am sure it does work on these other applications that you are talking about, but the NEW 496HO CMIs (which is what we are talking about) will not work with Corsa Q&Q or Merc's SChoice. You have to go with switchable tips or CMIs expensive switch system. That twin 525 setup is fantastic.... Look at the pic, you would have to remove the included tailpiece and replace it with the CMI switchable tail or equivalent, or fabricate something. So now you are changing the design and so there goes the 482hp to some degree.

Pismo,

I run a merc 500 with a CMI setup. My tails looked just like the ones on the 496HO setup. They are a similar design. I have my tails modified with Corsa QQ and my boat runs 80-ish. I don't think I am loosing any performance, when I am in thruhull mode. By the way Corsa made the modifications to the CMI tails. It wasn't very expensive to have this done either,

Dr Dan runs a 500 with a CMI setup. He doesn't have switchable exhaust.
We run more or less even, so I don't think I'm loosing anything to switchable exhaust. Supposedly, his 500 is "stock".

There is no reason to blow everybody out at the docks with your loud exhaust. Especially with the CMIs, you are going to be louder. I can't wait to see the first 496Ho in a Classic rigged with this setup.

Then we can start arguing about the horsepower gains...

blueliner
09-17-2005, 12:02 PM
what is the deal w/ maintnance for these headers. i thought i read somewhere on this registry that they need to be replaced like every 3 years due to corrosion. is this still true if you flush engine each time???

cigarette30
09-17-2005, 10:16 PM
what is the deal w/ maintnance for these headers. i thought i read somewhere on this registry that they need to be replaced like every 3 years due to corrosion. is this still true if you flush engine each time???

I just sent 2 sets back to the CMI factory, although they passed the pressure test, they indicated a 3-5 year lifespan, and that is if they are flushed. I bought new ones, did not want the chance of losing new motors.

Referance this topic, what a shame they will not match up to the Corsa factory switchable. I agree, will be interesting to see real results, and I was strongly considering the move, but not without the "quiet" option.

undertaker
09-18-2005, 09:16 AM
Roadtrip we will see how things go this winter maybe I will be able to report some perfromance data in the spring with the new CMI's with switchable exhaust :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: .

Undertaker

undertaker
09-18-2005, 09:19 AM
Switchable is for old ladies and babies..... straight pipes hooya! :biggrin:

Chrome I thought you would have a set of these already since they are major bling, which will go with the other bling you have underneath the hatch :banghead: :bonk: :biggrin.: :eek!: What's up... :biggrin.:

Undertaker :kyle:

undertaker
09-19-2005, 01:07 PM
Putting this exhaust on does it void your warranty... Just Curious..

Undertaker :party:

ChromeGorilla
09-19-2005, 01:11 PM
I do not believe it does.

undertaker
09-19-2005, 01:18 PM
Thanks Chrome :D :D

BaldEagle
09-21-2005, 12:01 PM
Not to change the subject, but I'm looking into headers for my 18C with 6.2 MPI and keeping my Corsa Q&Q (I'm one of the babies). EMI Thunder says they have the 512 that would work. Does anyone have a reccommendation?

BE

undertaker
09-22-2005, 10:55 AM
Road & Shangh

Pismo, is correct :biggrin: I talked to Fred @ Trick Marine he told me quick & quiet will NOT work you either need to eliminate Q&Q of get CMI's system. Oh well not a big deal to me, looks like it will be straight through exhaust for me.. By the way there is a NICE thread on OSO talking about this exhaust and some pretty interesting results from those who have the exhuast package. :biggrin: :biggrin:

Undertaker :incredibl

ChromeGorilla
09-22-2005, 11:32 AM
Not to change the subject, but I'm looking into headers for my 18C with 6.2 MPI and keeping my Corsa Q&Q (I'm one of the babies). EMI Thunder says they have the 512 that would work. Does anyone have a reccommendation?

Something like this? :D This is LastTangos boat he may be able to help you...
http://www.donzi.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=11008

BaldEagle
09-22-2005, 11:45 AM
CG, thanks for the photo. Last Tango told me he went had EMI but didn't have Q&Q. (He didn't have a photo) It looks like there may be enough room to fit the Q&Q in.

BE

roadtrip se
01-20-2006, 11:52 AM
just published another great article on the HP and torque gains created by these tubes as verified on Tyler Crockett's dyno. Looks like a real easy way to grab sixty horsies for not much dough. Anybody working on this modification in the skunk works? I would be if I had a 496HO Classic!

Inquiring minds want to know!