PDA

View Full Version : Electric raw water pump

harbormaster
09-15-2005, 10:18 AM
Electric Raw Water pumps for a 502. DO they make 'em? How much are they?

Who sells them? Who do you recommend?

What are the pros and cons?

MOP
09-15-2005, 01:00 PM
Check with Jim and Gcarter are running them, Jim mentioned he runs them in his race cars.

http://www.meziere.com/

harbormaster
09-15-2005, 02:17 PM
Is there anyone with personal experience with a marine application of electric water pumps?

mrfixxall
09-15-2005, 02:36 PM
their not perfected yet and thay dont last long in race cars,,we went through two of them in the race cars last year

gcarter
09-15-2005, 07:00 PM
Scot, I'm running one on my closed cooling system, not raw water. I'm running a Meziere 55 GPM remote pump.
You get what you pay for. Most electric pumps are in the $150-$250 range. Mine was over $400.00 and has a 1400 hour life expectancy.
I love it. I get no variation in temp vs. engine speed. It works beautifully, and only draws 7 amps. It saves several HP and really simplifies things by eliminating a belt.
Take a look at;
http://meziere.com/2005_catalog/16.pdf
You can see the installation here;
http://www.donzi.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=13568

Moody Blu'
09-15-2005, 08:14 PM
Scot, I'm running one on my closed cooling system, not raw water. I'm running a Meziere 55 GPM remote pump.
You get what you pay for. Most electric pumps are in the $150-$250 range. Mine was over $400.00 and has a 1400 hour life expectancy.
I love it. I get no variation in temp vs. engine speed. It works beautifully, and only draws 7 amps. It saves several HP and really simplifies things by eliminating a belt.
Take a look at;

are you sure about 55 gpm?
there is a meziere pump in summit that flows 35 gpm and has a life expectancy of 2000 hours. and cost 284 through summit racing. I know CSR makes one in summits catalog and it flows 37gpm for 269.

there is a thread on electric pumps in the forum, I almost went to a elec pump but decided not to. alot of guys on the forum at the time talked me out of it.

gcarter
09-16-2005, 12:24 AM
Blu, did you try the link above, if so, look at the WP336.
This pump is substantually larger than the 35 GPM pump, also automatically comes with their heavy duty motor.

Moody Blu'
09-16-2005, 08:00 AM
Blu, did you try the link above, if so, look at the WP336.
This pump is substantually larger than the 35 GPM pump, also automatically comes with their heavy duty motor.
my bad,I just thought if it was the heavier duty pump it would have a higher life expectancy then the 35 gpm pump.

MOP
09-16-2005, 08:41 AM
Scot I thought you were raw water cooling those puppies, sounds like you came up with some heat exchangers. I have been checking into the electric circ pumps also, a friend has had one on his mildly worked Mustang for 3 years and about 40,000 miles. All the input on them seems very positive, I like the idea of getting rid of the belt plus they say you get a tad more HP which has to add efficiency across the board. At this point I don't see any Con's, there should be little to no difference between marine/auto apps as far as dependability.

Phil

gcarter
09-19-2005, 06:38 PM
my bad,I just thought if it was the heavier duty pump it would have a higher life expectancy then the 35 gpm pump.
The 1400 hours I was referring to was in a vibration test. I found this out in a phone call to Meziere when I was trying to decide which pump to use.
These pumps are all aluminum, and built to very close tolerances. They operate at a very high efficiency. I don't believe I would use them on raw water, particularly salt water.
But they're excellent for coolant in a closed cooling system.

Cuda
09-19-2005, 07:46 PM
It's funny this came up today. Yesterday, I was with a guy that's restoring a 38 Bertram, and he was asking me if there were any electric raw water pumps. I told him I'd never heard of them.

gcarter
09-19-2005, 08:26 PM
It could be done easily enough, using a bronze body and SST shaft, just don't know if it would be worthwhile.