PDA

View Full Version : new proud owner!

96DONZI
09-14-2005, 04:28 PM
always had to own a Donzi at least once! had several boats but this one seems to be the best! 1996 sweet 16 that is the anniversay edition series. the boat has the 350 4V. it feels a whole faster than what the speedo shows. the speedo shows 62MPH at 4100 RPM. the guy who owned it has 23 stainless prop. I think it's too much prop for that boat- hopefully you guys will guide me on what should be on there. I think the boat should be at 65mph at 4500rpm. I'm a lifer with this boat!
thanks for any help.

boldts
09-14-2005, 09:54 PM

Welcome to the Donzi family. Since you are from Michigan, your located in an area of the country that has a whole bunch of experienced Donzi owners. Two in the Detroit area that own 16s are members that go by Sam who also owns a 96 Anniversary Edition and Rootsy. They both have modified 16s and have done a lot of prop testing on their boats. Also, just a suggestion, but use the search option here on the boards. Props are one of the most discussed items on the boards. Turbo 1 by precission propellers, Hydromotive, and the Mirage plus are all good props and have been run on your model.

Since your only turning 4100 at 62mph, you've got a lot of room in your rpm to go to a smaller pitch prop. Usually for every 1" of pitch decrease, you'll gain 200 rpms. It appears that you could easily drop to a 21" or 22" pitch prop with cup to keep it grabbing in the turns. Another thing to consider when looking at props is how the boat handles. At 62mph and the current prop, the boat might be easy to drive. Now, kick that up to say 65mph +, you might have a real hand full. That is one reason a lot of owners are running 4 blade Hydromotive props. This prop really seems to settle down a Donzi in ruff water. If you decide to try a 4 blade, drop the pitch another 1"

Do a little research, talk to members here and then pick the prop you want to try. Test it and if your still not getting what you want, adjust the pitch up for less rpms or down for more rpms. I'm not sure why the previous owner only wanted to turn 4100 rpms. Maybe they thought the boat was to fast or had younger family members driving the boat. Most engines are proped to run in the 4800 rpm range.

Also, if you get a chance, keep an eye on the gathering section of the Registry. There are a couple gatherings on Lake StClair up in MI and in May, the Midwest Donzi Club holds a gathering that for the last 5 years has been held at Lake Cumberland in Kentucky. Come join us and meet other Donzi owners. Take a minute to join the Midwest Donzi club. There are no annual dues. It's a club that was formed for the strict reason for Donzi owners to meet other owners and to give people looking to buy a Donzi a website to see pictures of different Donzi models. I ask everyone who joins to send me a picture of their Donzi to be displayed as a link to the boats description. I'm currently working on a over-haul of the website that after 5 years has been long overdue. Hope to have the opportunity to meet you and see your Donzi soon.

Tony
09-15-2005, 11:09 AM
Welcome to the board...it's always good to see another Donzi owner in the Great Lake State! Where in MI are you located? My '67 Ski Sporter has a tuned up 302 Ford that runs wild with a cupped 14 x 24 SS Volvo Ultra, but for overall performance I usually spin an aluminum 14 x 21, or a 14 x 23.

Scott give good advice, check with Sam or Rootsy, or do some searches, because there are lots of choices with the black outdrives.

Ranman
09-15-2005, 01:11 PM
Welcome! I think we may have seen you before. Do you run around out on LAke St. Clair? Member Sam here has the same boat and it rips! I'm sure he'll be happy to fill you in. Here's a link to Sam's boat.

http://www.zabram.com/pics/Donzi/Browns4.jpg

96DONZI
09-18-2005, 02:53 PM
yes, this boat was purchased from a guy who lives on lake St. Clair so yes you've probably seen it running around. he lives about 4 doors down from the channel where the Metro Beach boat show is.
the boat is now anchored in Hell!! yes, I said Hell!! Hell, MI and yes, Hell does freeze over!!! trust me!!
the swwet `16 us unbelievably stable at 62 MPH but 4100 Rpm is all she wrote. by the sounds of it, a 4 blade prop might work well with a smaller pitch. I'd like to see the boat at 4500-4700 RPM at 65MPH. our lake is pretty smooth most of the time except when there is a bass tournament all the all the bass boat drivers all think they have Donzis! I need some good advise on the prop. 65MPH is my goal before I get into engine mods.
thanks,
new owner from Hell!

Sam
09-19-2005, 10:30 AM
96Donzi, give me a shout and we can talk about your set up. First thing is make sure your tach is relatively accurate. Second get your hands on a GPS, once you have a baseline of RPM's and GPS speed you can then start to zero in on the right prop.

Sam