PDA

View Full Version : 460 King Cobra

florida gator
09-12-2005, 09:10 PM
Anyone know much about these motors, reliability, known problems, etc.?

MOP
09-12-2005, 09:43 PM
The 460 Ford is a good work horse motor will run a long time with just normal care, at least as good as any 454. There only short coming is performance parts, parts are around but you need to seek them out to find what you need, unlike Chevy where tons just jump out at you.

Phil

Cuda
09-12-2005, 10:50 PM
I think they were rated at 340 hp.

Carl C
09-13-2005, 07:55 AM
Yeah, the 460 is a good motor, They make excellent anchors. Small block Fords can match any GM small blocks. For big block power go with a chevy or blue motor.

RedDog
09-13-2005, 08:03 AM
...For big block power go with a chevy or blue motor...

unless you find a good / well cared for boat that has a 460. Condition is the over riding factor - not which motor.

Isn't "WALO" based on a 460? And I thought John S was also putting built 460s in his 28 Sprortsman. And where has John S been???

http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=575&page=1&highlight=walo

and

http://www.donzi.net/video/keefe79.mpg

MOP
09-13-2005, 08:13 AM
A boat engine is some what "A Kin" to a truck motor it is under constant load, I don't hear much crabbing about Ford trucks just the opposite. I was a mech at an OMC dealer ship we had no 460's blow up or have any problems, they did munch the early Kings. Then they brought out the Real King and that ended the munching issue. Like what was said above, care is the key whether Ford or GM. Compression check it and do an oil sample if it passes enjoy a good motor.

Phil

Woodsy
09-13-2005, 08:35 AM
The 460 Ford is a GREAT motor.... like most other Blue Oval products, it is overshadowed by the Bowtie crowd.... Lots of hi-perf stuff available...

Make sure you do a leakdown test with the motor warm... couipled with an oil test it is the only accurate way to gauge motor health!

Woodsy

b.guggenmos
09-13-2005, 07:55 PM
Anyone know much about these motors, reliability, known problems, etc.?
They are just as tough as a Chevy and yes you can break one just as well as you can break a Chevy. If you ask around you would probably be able to find a story about any engine that soemone broke. Many factors go into destroying an engine. A boat engine has a tough life. Like a motorhome that never quits pulling a hill. The 460 has aftermarket items available if a person chose to modify it. Intakes,heads, exhuast... I have been in a Classic 22 powered both by the 460 and 454 and unless you open the hatch it would be tough to tell the difference. By the way, both were as delivered from Donzi and both had King Cobra drives. Virtually identical performance.
Some people are Ford people and some are Chevrolet people. If Ford still made the 460 they might still have a marine version. The only thing Ford powered now seems to be the 5.8 in a tournament ski boat and that may not even be true now. It is the condition of the boat and how well it was maintained that would make a major decision on the purchase to me and not the brand of the engine. Good luck.

florida gator
09-17-2005, 11:57 AM
The 460 Ford is a GREAT motor.... like most other Blue Oval products, it is overshadowed by the Bowtie crowd.... Lots of hi-perf stuff available...

Make sure you do a leakdown test with the motor warm... couipled with an oil test it is the only accurate way to gauge motor health!

Woodsy

How are these tests performed?