PDA

View Full Version : Proud New Donzi Owner

wsmith09
09-12-2005, 02:18 PM
We just bought a 1999 33ZX Donzi and so far not bad. It's defiantly a lot different than our smaller 23' Rinker. We have only had its about a week and can use any information regarding Donzi's since this is our first one.

Jraysray
09-12-2005, 02:23 PM
We just bought a 1999 33ZX Donzi and so far not bad. It's defiantly a lot different than our smaller 23' Rinker. We have only had its about a week and can use any information regarding Donzi's since this is our first one.

Welcome to the board! Get ready cause these guy's know it all. :anchor: :anchor:

Mr X
09-12-2005, 02:35 PM
Welcome to the board and congratulations on the 33 purchase!

What info are you looking for. I have owned a few......

wsmith09
09-12-2005, 02:41 PM
One thing that I'm interested in is somebody told us that we need to be really careful when turning with this boat because it is known for flipping over because of the double stephull. Now this boat does seem a little tippy but it just might feel that way to us because of the size and the step up from our other boat.

Ranman
09-12-2005, 03:05 PM
What you are describing is not just Donzi's, rather ALL stepped (ventilated) hulls. Someone else here with more time than me will fill you in. If you have never driven a stepped hull boat and are used to non-step deep V's, you do have to be careful. Read on...

olredalert
09-12-2005, 03:27 PM
WSmith,

-------Mr.X will be able to give some extremely good tips as he has a bunch of seat time in vent-hull DONZIs. I will advance that I am under the understanding that you do not trim the boat for bow-down attitude when turning as you would a non-ventilated deep-vee. This, Im told tends to unload the rear and can cause spin out under "extreme" situations. I know Ill be corrected if necessary. Enjoy your new purchase..........Bill S

Johntrip
09-12-2005, 04:18 PM
Congrats on your purchase..!!! I bought a 2002 33zx back in May. I've got 90 hours now behind the wheel and I can tell you that I've turned the boat at 50+ miles an hour into figure 8s with little chop in the bay (No problem). I've also crossed the Atlantic into the Bahamas with 6 to 8 foot seas doing 30+ miles an hour (No problem). I did loose the horn cover though...:rlol:

Mr X
09-12-2005, 04:42 PM
Thanks Bill, you are right on the money.

The MOST IMPORTANT thing to remember is, do not have the drives trimmed in and make a hard turn!!!!
The drives should be at least at the No. 3 position on the indicator or higher when turning. Otherwise around she goes.....where she stops nobody knows!!!
You or your passengers could be thrown out and injured or killed!

A good indication of being on the ragged edge of a spin is: if the boat stops leaning to the inside of the turn and starts to level out while turning.......back off and straighten the wheel quickly!!!

There is no good reason to ever have the drives trimmed in any lower than No. 3 position while on plain and at cruise you should be around 5 and top end 6-7.
(The above info pertains to 33ZX models only)
Good luck and take your time........get the feel behind the wheel.