PDA

View Full Version : ????

goatee
09-12-2005, 12:12 PM
i have a sears 4.5 hp push mower , 2years old. (i will check warranty)
wont start. really wont turn over. past 2 years has never not started on first pull. added gas-nothin pulled plug, cleaned (with a dry clean rag)///
nothin. pushed the cold start primmer 50 times, nothin.

waited 2 days after i pushed primmer, nothin.

any sugestions?

Rootsy
09-12-2005, 12:47 PM
it won't turn over? is this thing a pull start? is it getting fuel? did you happen to hit a stump or rock or anything the last time you mowed?

MOP
09-12-2005, 01:14 PM
I do a lot of side mower repair, one of the most common things is the safety circuit. You have two cables, one throttle and one safety, follow the cable down from the safety lever it goes to a plastic covered box, remove the cover and disconnect the wire. The cable moves the end of the wire to ground which kills the ignition, I have seen this stop nearly new mowers from starting. If that does turn out to be your problem the switch can be cleaned and it contact gap readjusted to about 3/16".

Phil

goatee
09-12-2005, 07:09 PM
it has the saftey bar, but no throttle. saftey go's down to a lever, which in turn controls a thin bar which conects to , what appears to be some sort of brake system. of course i'm probably wrong about that , but its what it looks like.
it is up, just underneath the pull cord.

i ddi see a green wire up in there, does not appear to be connected to the saftey, but i could be wrong about that too.
i did see the green wire firmly connected to a male/female "tab" conection.

fresh gas/ new plug (plug does smell like gas)

nothin

goatee
09-12-2005, 07:11 PM
mower for sale!!!!
only two years old. cheap! :rolleyes:

Mercrewser
09-12-2005, 10:57 PM
It is a break system, to stop the blade immediatley after releasing the bar.

goatee
09-13-2005, 12:02 AM
ok, makes sense....now,,,,,why wont the mower start?

at least its the end of the year. to have one worked on, costs as much to replace them, so i'll just buy a new one next year.

Rootsy
09-13-2005, 06:37 AM
that safety bar and green wire are part of a grounding system to shut the mower engine off when the bar is released... if the wire is in a closed contact position you get no juice to spark plug... pretty much everything phil said...

Generally if a mower will not start and you have good fuel flow... then you have no juice or the juice is happening at the wrong time... 90% of the push mowers i "aquire" that will not run have sheared the key on the crank and spun the flywheel out of phase... it'll kinda pop now and gain and backfire and fart and sputter but won't start or run... hitting stumps and big rocks is a bitch...

unhook that green wire and see if she'll run...