PDA

View Full Version : Saving fuel

Cuda
09-09-2005, 03:42 PM
I've been trying to conserve fuel all week. I stopped today to fill up the truck, and I only spent $57 in fuel this week, which is less than half what I normally spend a week. I did it by making a concerted effort to get good mileage, by driving Debbie's little truck when I didn't need to drive my one ton, and by taking the motorcycle when I need to run a short errand without having to carry anything big. Granted, I probably spent a tad more on Debbie's truck fuel, but I saved a lot.

I bet is everyone did their best at conserving fuel in thier vehicles, the demand would drop on gas, as would the price. That would leave more money to spend on more important things like boating fuel.

Did anyone else do anything different this week due to the cost of fuel?

RedDog
09-09-2005, 04:38 PM
Did anyone else do anything different this week due to the cost of fuel?

I had to fly to Salt Lake City for Tuesday night and back Wednesday night - other that that I haven't left the house all week. Gonna have to leave soon though - I'm out of hootch :bawling:

ChromeGorilla
09-09-2005, 05:00 PM
Joe, it's funny you mention this. Since my new truck has the milage computer thingy I have definately been more aware of my drivin habits.... i.e. only doin 70-75 vice 80-85 onn the highway, and accelerating more slowly at sop signs and lights. Huge difference in consumption. Although not drag racing the guys from the shop I worked in while in the Navy everyday helps too. It was always red when we come up on it. Two lanes and located on a quieter part of the base..... :checkered

joel3078
09-09-2005, 05:13 PM
Yep left the truck in the driveway and rode the motorcyle (Harley Ultraglide Classic) to work all week rain or shine. Gas saved during week will go in the Donzi this weekend. Harley is a big bike but it gets 40-50mph assuming ya drive it nice. Fuel consumed in bike this week was 10 buck or so.

409biscayne
09-09-2005, 11:45 PM
Yep left the truck in the driveway and rode the motorcyle (Harley Ultraglide Classic) to work all week rain or shine. Gas saved during week will go in the Donzi this weekend. Harley is a big bike but it gets 40-50mph assuming ya drive it nice. Fuel consumed in bike this week was 10 buck or so.
Yeah , pretty bad when the ' 05 Ram 3500 is parked in the driveway while i drive a Miata , but i refuse to pay $3.29 for a gallon of diesel , actually the Miata's kinda fun , even if everyone thinks your driving your wife's car . If gas goes up any more we'll be mountain biking to work .
Cheers .......................... Doug

ChromeGorilla
09-09-2005, 11:51 PM
Diesel is 5 cents/gallon cheaper than 87 here....... man I love my new diesel! :biggrin.:

Ed Donnelly
09-10-2005, 12:01 AM
If I was reprogramming energy management programs at the cop shops, I took the Harley(2000 Softail) If I needed tools I took my moms Accura 3.2
Didn't have to go near a gas station all week. Wednesday night my wife took my Harley Pick-up to the storage shed and decided to fill it up just to be nice
$103.00 not quite 20 gals..............Ed

Magicallbill
09-10-2005, 03:59 AM
I have a Corolla and my 3/4 ton that I tow the Donzi with.
I drive and have driven the Corolla except when I need the truck for whatever.
I drive 55 all the time,(65 when I'm in a hurry) and get 40-44 MPG.
Even with current gas insanity,it doesn't bug me much with the numbers I get.
I have no problem driving that slow, and it's easier on my vehicles.

Sagbay32
09-10-2005, 08:41 AM
We wnt up north last weekend and I told the family we were going to keep it under 80 mph. I tried to stay close to 70-75 but it seemed more unsafe to go that slow. I did save gas though.

This week I stopped drag racing at stop lights, and passing people on the two laners on my way to work. I used a lot less gas.....but had no fun....oh well. :cool!:

Mike.... $2.98 for no lead here

gcarter
09-10-2005, 12:43 PM
I just remembered a number of years ago, BMW did some extensive fuel economy testing and came up with some interesting results.
Unlike the the way the geezers around here drive i.e., 0 to 45 (they NEVER do 60) in about two minutes, BMW found out it is more economical to accelerate rather quickly from a stop light or sign.
The premise is that it is more economical to keep the car at a steady, fuel saving speed for as much of the time as possible. That in a planned trip, you'll burn less fuel accelerating at a constant 3000-3500 RPM (this is easy with an automatic) till you reach your cruising speed than if you accelerate more slowly.
This is part of the promise of a hybrid also, keep the engine running at a constant most efficient speed.