PDA

View Full Version : By Gum; I've solved the Boat / Gas Problem!

Craig
09-09-2005, 12:36 PM
Okay; I've given this considerable thought and, I must admit, I was quite dicouraged at first; $2.20, $2.55, then $3.00 and $3.19... who wouldn't be?

BUT THEN I SAW "THIS" AND A LIGHT CAME ON!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The story about the Yamaha F4 outboard (footnote: the "4" stands for 4 horse power) four cycle motor setting a Guiness recognized World Record for gas mileage -- OVER 67 mpg!!!!!!!!!!!

The little outboard (and one gallon of gas) was installed on a small "Tri-maram" boat (see picture) and run in a circle. The distance until she ran out of gas was measured by GPS and the rest was marine gas mileage history!

So here's my idea:

1) I'm gonna schlapp a virtual reality helmet and a nice sound system on a few similarly equipped crafts. THEN...

2) I'm gonna go out (NOW - While I can still barely afford the gas) and mount my (low tech) VHS video camera on the deck of the boat and run all over the place filming the "horizon view" that I haven't been seeing as much of lately. THEN...

3) I'm gonna convert those to DVD and hook a player up to the virtual reality / mega sound system set up....AND...

4) Viola! I'm all ready for:
A. (at least some) wind in my face (courtesy of the little F4),
B. great economy (maybe only 60 mpg -- I'm talkin' serious sub-woofers for the sound system!),
C. rumbly exhaust noise (courtesy of the sound system), and
D. awesome scenery as usual, as the virtual nose of my old gas guzzling boat
slices through the virtual waves, etc, etc. (courtesy of virtual reality).

The virtual reality helmet will, of course, have some kind of a bi-focal arrangement for an occassional glimpse of where I'm actually going (with 4 hp - that will be almost no where) - so, even when I'm not looking, it'll be completely safe!

I will consider making these available to all here. My deck stripe is green, but I think I can make any desired deck stripe color changes via the computer.

The price will be reasonable. The goal will be to sell enough of these baby's to be able to comfortably buy gas and actually get back to where I can run the "reality" boat more than the "virtual reality" boat.

NOTE: I didn't mention this earlier, but there will be some duct tape used in the fabrication process (for those who might be concerned about a shoddy final product).

Carl C
09-09-2005, 12:48 PM
Maybe you can get one of those little coin operated boats that used to be in front of K-Mart to shake your seat around too. ( You're gonna need a V-8 motor anyway just to turn the generators you'll need). You'll think of something.:jestera:

Craig
09-09-2005, 01:14 PM
Is that what those things do? I tried it once. It stole my quarter.