PDA

View Full Version : Fuel storage question

Jraysray
09-09-2005, 12:24 PM
What’s the best way to store the boat in regards to the fuel system? Keep in mind that it rarely freezes where I live. Full tank, empty tank, fuel additive? It is covered and in dry storage.

Rootsy
09-09-2005, 12:49 PM
fill the tank up and treat it with the correct amount of Sta-Bil fuel stabilizer.. run the motor to have that treated gas in the fuel system of the motor... keeping the tank full reduces the amount of condensation and resulting water in the tank over time...

JR

txtaz
09-09-2005, 12:50 PM
Full to prevent condensation and an additive of your choice.
Personally, mine doesn't sit long enough for that. :jestera:
Wes

Sam
09-09-2005, 12:51 PM
Some say keep it full some say it dosen't matter. I've done it both ways with no problems either way. If you do store it for longer than a couple of months I would add gas stabalizer to it.

Carl C
09-09-2005, 12:56 PM
Full tank with stabilizer is right on. Remember the fuel will lose some octane so run a little easy 'til you get some fresh gas in there.

Kirbyvv
09-09-2005, 01:02 PM
I fill with higher octane fuel (premium) and use a stabilizer when I store cars over the winter to help with the loss of octane.

Pismo
09-09-2005, 01:11 PM
I store for about 8 months a year in the very cold north and have never even thought about it and have never had any problems, full/empty/stabil/ never noticed or done anything and never an issue in over 30 years.

Rootsy
09-09-2005, 01:18 PM
I have a couple of antique tractors that were not run for a length of time... about a year... i hot tanked the fuel tanks and i STILL cannot get the jelly like crap ouf ot the bottom that used to be gasoline... i am about to just get 4 or 5 buckets of chem dip carb cleaner and soak em... :rolleyes:

stabilizer doesn't hurt... i use it religiously now for anything that does not get much use...

joel3078
09-09-2005, 01:36 PM
Use Sta-Bil on FRESH gas. It does not work on gas that is old. Remember that gas starts to break down in 30 days and will be pretty bad after 4 months or so. The smaller the carb jets are the worse the problem is. Snowmobiles, jetskis, lawn mowers, weed wackers, etc. are constantly going in the shop for carb rebuilds due to them getting gummed up with gas that is going bad. Does not seem to be as much of a problem with fuel injected vehicles. For hassle free results I immediatly add sta-bil to my small engine gas and then use the stuff again in late October on the big toys that I have to put away for winter. Also noticed that after a few years, the bottle of sta-bil looks kinda off color. Bottom line is use fresh gas and a fresh bottle of sta-bil for best results.

Jraysray
09-09-2005, 09:43 PM
Being that I ran out of gas about 60ft from the dock last week. I got to fill up with 40 gal of gas today. $128.00! Just to put her to bed for the season!! Damn... I only have an 18! :(

I am glad I don't have to go through the rest of the winterizing procedures my northern bros get to deal with.:sombrero: Ole!

Carl C
09-10-2005, 07:01 AM
Spy, the engines you mention are two strokes. It's the oil that gums up the carbs. 2 stroke carbs should be run dry after every use and especially before storing. Scott, you live in Texas and you've already put up your boat? What's up with that? I boat in Michigan and boat well into Oct.:boat:

Jraysray
09-10-2005, 07:27 AM
Spy, the engines you mention are two strokes. It's the oil that gums up the carbs. 2 stroke carbs should be run dry after every use and especially before storing. Scott, you live in Texas and you've already put up your boat? What's up with that? I boat in Michigan and boat well into Oct.:boat:

Yup, Put her up. Going to starve the budget :cussball: for about 6 months. Hopefully I will have some $$$$$ come spring to beef it up.

joel3078
09-10-2005, 09:01 AM

Carl - believe me, my snowblower and lawnmower are 4 stroke & their little carbs get gooked up cause of gas not oil. 2 strokes do get oil slimed also - ala weed wacker, chain saw, snowmobile, outboard. If you store gas for more than 2 months, put sta-bil or some other kind of fuel stabilizer in it. Been doing this for years now and ALL of the engines fire right up after they have been in storage. Oh ya, and if you use too much sta-bil for "extra protection" the engine will run like crap.

mrfixxall
09-10-2005, 03:49 PM
Ive drained mine for the last 20 yrs and never had a problem,,,the so called fuel we use now only holds its octain for 3/4 months and their isnt a octain or gas stablizer out their that will keep for that period od time so its cheeper to drain your fuel then to change your engine.............................p.s i also put heet in my tank to keep moisture out in the cold months.....

Dregsz
09-11-2005, 11:59 PM
I have a couple of antique tractors that were not run for a length of time... about a year... i hot tanked the fuel tanks and i STILL cannot get the jelly like crap ouf ot the bottom that used to be gasoline... i am about to just get 4 or 5 buckets of chem dip carb cleaner and soak em... :rolleyes:

stabilizer doesn't hurt... i use it religiously now for anything that does not get much use...

Goof Off will work.

MOP
09-12-2005, 10:07 AM
A fuel tank should be filled before being put into storage, an important thing to remember is corrosion will not happen in the absence of air/oxygen, an empty tank will form condensation with temperature changes a full tank will not. So fill it and treat the gas with Sta-Bil, in the spring my first run is at moderate speeds to burn off a few gallons of gas then I top off with Hi Test to replace the lost octane.

Phil