PDA

View Full Version : Speedometer-Livorsi 2005 Classic PROBLEM

VinV
09-08-2005, 06:04 PM
Speedo does not come off the peg unless I rap the speedo while running above 2000RPM. Reads fine after that until I come off plane.

This is the 3rd speedo in the boat. All do the same thing. Am I missing something?

Anybody else have this problem?

SMLDONZI
09-08-2005, 06:21 PM
Mine does it too, most of the time. '05 also.

Will

Carl C
09-08-2005, 06:40 PM
Mine has never stuck. '05 22C. It has a half inch air bubble at the top. Is this normal?

SMLDONZI
09-08-2005, 09:21 PM
Mine's got the air bubble too.

Will

VinV
09-09-2005, 07:23 PM
Mine does it too, most of the time. '05 also.

Will

Did you complain about it?

I tried 2 additional factory supplied speedo's and all do the same thing. Something is wrong but I have no answer so far. Seems that Donzi builds so few boats that it is not a priority to get the problem corrected.

I have to call the factory next week to get this fixed before the boat is a year older.

If you get any fix please let me know.

Will advise......

VinV
09-09-2005, 07:25 PM
Mine has never stuck. '05 22C. It has a half inch air bubble at the top. Is this normal?

Bubble is normal on the 3 that I have tried so far. Still stick on the peg.

I am surprised that yours doesn't.

BaldEagle
09-09-2005, 09:56 PM
My 06 guage (probably no different) has the bubble at the top. I would guess that it may be there so the gauge casing doesnt explode/implode when the oil medial expands or contrats with temp. Re the sticking. In a speedo, Velocity Pressure is being measured via the sensor which is a essentually a pitot tube. Velocity pressure varies as a mathimatical square of velocity. If the velocity is increased by 10 % the pressure is increased by 21%. This is easy to convert to a linear readout like a speedo guage except there is a constant that is used in the formula. For example. (FPM/Constant)2="H2O pressure. When your speed is less than the mathimatical constant the result is a pressure that is, when squared, less than 1. so until you exceed the constant in FPM (Feet per Minute) velocity, the pressure in the sensor will be minimal. when your velocity exceeds the constant the pressure increases exponentially and all of he sudden the speedo is active. Who cares if it doesn't work at low speeds right? Just don't go slow and everything will work fine.
BE

Marlin275
09-09-2005, 11:31 PM
Eagle is right!
Just don't go slow and everything will work fine.

I have Faria gauges
and mine does the same thing,
no readout until 15-20 mph.
I can tell the speed by RPMS.

SMLDONZI
09-11-2005, 10:04 PM
I really never gave a tap on the glass a second thought. The boat rides always make me forget that issue, so I haven't brought it up with my dealer. I will, though.

Now, a GPS speedo in the monster series sounds VERY interesting.

hottub
09-12-2005, 11:35 AM
Bald eagle is correct regarding the bubble. Mine has the same thing (03) and I actually sent it back to Gaffrig (at the time) and it came back with a similar explanation. Takes a bit to get used and you have to answer the question to just about anyone that rides in the boat, but not the end of the world.

VinV
09-12-2005, 07:12 PM
My 06 guage (probably no different) has the bubble at the top. I would guess that it may be there so the gauge casing doesnt explode/implode when the oil medial expands or contrats with temp. Re the sticking. In a speedo, Velocity Pressure is being measured via the sensor which is a essentually a pitot tube. Velocity pressure varies as a mathimatical square of velocity. If the velocity is increased by 10 % the pressure is increased by 21%. This is easy to convert to a linear readout like a speedo guage except there is a constant that is used in the formula. For example. (FPM/Constant)2="H2O pressure. When your speed is less than the mathimatical constant the result is a pressure that is, when squared, less than 1. so until you exceed the constant in FPM (Feet per Minute) velocity, the pressure in the sensor will be minimal. when your velocity exceeds the constant the pressure increases exponentially and all of he sudden the speedo is active. Who cares if it doesn't work at low speeds right? Just don't go slow and everything will work fine.
BE

So let's see...... If the gas gauge doesn't read right just fill it up when it gets reading at all, then when the speedo doesn't read just go slow so there is no problem with the cops...... I got it now. Get a new 2006 Donzi 22C from the factory with a 5HP Honda with a 2 Gal tank with a sight gauge for 5OG's and have a nice summer.

Seems like I am looking for a Fountain in 2006.

VinV
09-12-2005, 07:15 PM
I really never gave a tap on the glass a second thought. The boat rides always make me forget that issue, so I haven't brought it up with my dealer. I will, though.

Now, a GPS speedo in the monster series sounds VERY interesting.

This will be resolved. It just takes some work.

VinV
09-12-2005, 07:17 PM
Bald eagle is correct regarding the bubble. Mine has the same thing (03) and I actually sent it back to Gaffrig (at the time) and it came back with a similar explanation. Takes a bit to get used and you have to answer the question to just about anyone that rides in the boat, but not the end of the world.

All pressure gauges with liquid have the expansion buble, whether you see it or not. The mfg decides whether you see it in the glass.

BaldEagle
09-13-2005, 11:53 PM
Has anyone tried the Monster GPS Speedo. i saw it in the new Lavorsi Catalouge and it did look nice.

BE

ChromeGorilla
09-14-2005, 12:12 AM
Really, with a water fed speedo...who cares... not accurate anyway.

blueliner
09-14-2005, 02:01 AM
i have one in my aronow edition. it is deadly accurate. i have my garmin 276c as well and they both line up. so far best speed is 73.7 mph at 5000 rpm. i know i can get more, practice, practice, practice...
Has anyone tried the Monster GPS Speedo. i saw it in the new Lavorsi Catalouge and it did look nice.

BE

undertaker
09-14-2005, 08:38 AM
Interesting :cool:

John W
09-14-2005, 08:48 AM
Mine is within 4 MPH vs. the gps. Still it only starts at 30mph, who cares 1000 rpm = 6kts.
JW

VinV
09-14-2005, 07:01 PM
This will be resolved. It just takes some work.

Livorsi called me to offer gauge #4. They acknowledge the problem exists.

I will advise.....