PDA

View Full Version : Project for this winter

onesubdrvr
09-08-2005, 03:56 PM
IF I keep the Ragazza, this winter, I will want to remove my deck, and have my boat flooring re-done. I was considering Starboard, but my understanding is that it doesn't glass well, so I wouldn't be able to tie it back to the hull.

Does anyone have recommendations other than marine plywood? Also, what techniques for gelcoating when done (I want to make new snap-in carpet).?

While I have the deck off, I was considering having the stringers re-done. They are solid, but if there is a more durable material than wood that can be used, I'd rather do it once (while everything is easy to get to), and do it right.

Thanks
Wayne

ps anyone have recommendations for anyone in my area of Florida to do this work?

Cuda
09-08-2005, 04:24 PM
Check out pvc board. I got a chunk of it from Farco plastics last week. It's stiffer than starboard, and much lighter. Cheaper too. :)

gold-n-rod
09-08-2005, 05:19 PM
Does anyone have recommendations other than marine plywood? Also, what techniques for gelcoating when done (I want to make new snap-in carpet).?

While I have the deck off, I was considering having the stringers re-done. They are solid, but if there is a more durable material than wood that can be used, I'd rather do it once (while everything is easy to get to), and do it right.

Wayne, Wayne, Wayne. Get a grip, man. You have got to stop sinking money into a boat that you will never, ever recover. If you have this much time on your hands, get a second job for the winter and then you'll have a nice nest egg saved up to invest in the boat of your dreams. At the rate you are headed, it won't be long and you'll have a ton of your time and over $15K invested in a boat that might fetch $7K.

My unsolicited 2 cents.

onesubdrvr
09-08-2005, 05:58 PM
Wayne, Wayne, Wayne. Get a grip, man. You have got to stop sinking money into a boat that you will never, ever recover. If you have this much time on your hands, get a second job for the winter and then you'll have a nice nest egg saved up to invest in the boat of your dreams. At the rate you are headed, it won't be long and you'll have a ton of your time and over $15K invested in a boat that might fetch $7K.

My unsolicited 2 cents.

I Know, I know,.. that's why I said IF I keep it :) ,....If I plan on keeping it, it will be for a long time,....I'm trying to find the right boats to put a deal together to get a toon boat for the family and an 18c for when we aren't all on the water - more of a momma and me boat, but that will take a little time and alot of looking.

The Ragazza runs good, finally GPS'd over 60 with full fuel and me and my 3 oldest girls on board, and stable, very stable, ask Cuda, he was there, and to get a compliment on how good the boat looks and runs from someone who owns so many, I have to say, was nice.

But, I do appreciate your .02, I'm not going to "try to fix it up and sell it", but rather fix it up IF I keep it.

Wayne

Cuda
09-08-2005, 06:22 PM
Wayne, does it need a new floor and stringers?

onesubdrvr
09-08-2005, 07:10 PM
Wayne, does it need a new floor and stringers?
Joe,

The floor really should be done, there is a soft spot up where the walk-through to the bow is, the rest is pretty solid - and I painted it recently with a garage epoxy paint. It doesn't help that I don't have a cover for it right now - next on my list of stuff to get, and a new battery.

The stringers - when I drilled them for my new motor mount location, all was dry and solid. My concern here is the additional power, and if I go through the effort to pull the deck to re-floor it, why not go the extra step and beef up the stringers.

My real only dis-like of this whole boat is the plywood floor that isn't glassed, or gel coated or anything, and the fact that the carpet is glued in, not snapped in. Having repaired 2 small soft spots already, and having done it in my Century when I had it, the plywood floor (which almost allways feels soft) just irritates me.

Wayne

Cuda
09-08-2005, 07:19 PM
Wayne, I damn sure wouldn't start that project for those little problems. That's a helluva job. :shark:

onesubdrvr
09-08-2005, 07:28 PM
Wayne, I damn sure wouldn't start that project for those little problems. That's a helluva job. :shark:
Oh, no doubt there, it definately is a BIG job, but like I said, it's one of the only things I don't like about this boat (the other being the HP limitations of the outdrive).

This is all an if right now,....

I've got my eyes on an couple of X-18's, and an older 18 - my project boat, it's the other 2 parts of the equation I haven't been able to work out yet - finding the right toon boat, and selling the Ragazza.

Besides, I can allways recruit Deb to help :jestera: .

Wayne

MOP
09-08-2005, 07:35 PM
Wayne I have not seen the PVC board but from what I have heard it is very good, another alternative may be XL Plywood. Many manufacturers are using it and give a life time guarantee on transoms, stringers and floors. Rust n Rot uses it and knows a lot about it!

Phil

mrfixxall
09-08-2005, 07:45 PM
the new pvc board is designed to be used with all the new epoxies and you can't mix epoxy with polyester resins and any pine wood is out of the question because it bleeds and if you top coat with fiberglass and resin it will delaminate so i would get some birch plywood and use it because it holds up the best....

John W
09-11-2005, 01:05 PM
If you are going to put a new deck in, I would use a product called Coosa Board. It is light you can get in many different thicknesses, best of all it will not rot, you can put screws in it and they will hold, it can be expoxied, and the sruff comes in different strengthes, i think the Bluewater has three or four layers of glass reeforcements.
The only downside is that it is expensive, but Its your boat and money is no Object, Right.
Hope this helps,
JE

Donzigo
09-11-2005, 09:36 PM
If you take that deck off and start this project, it could get into some thousands of dollars. I know, i did it with a 1987 Z-25. $14,400 of fibergglass work before it was done. I love all Donzis and all boats; but, as someone has mentioned, your love for this model of Donzi will only be shard by a few. Most perspective buyers will want the Classics. They are like owning an old Corvette, they keep their value better than most boats. So, keep that in mind. Again, nothing against the boat, if it suits your needs, it's a beautiful thin. Please remember this: Boat projects almost always get more involved, take much longer than you thought, and get far, far more expensive than first imagined. I know, I've done that too.

My 2 cents: Buy fuel with the money you got burning a hole in your pocket & go boating, drink a few rounds out on the water, go fishing with the kids, pull them around on a tube, and take the wifie out to dinner.............& you'll still have loads of money left over from what you are about to do.

Been there...........done that

onesubdrvr
09-12-2005, 04:23 PM
Well,

Thanks for the input everyone,.....

Like I said, I've got my eyes on a couple of 18's that I'm pretty interested in, it's the other 2/3'rds of the equation I need to work out.

:shades: see 'ya on the water
Wayne