PDA

View Full Version : No Forward. Is it shift cable?

TBroccoli
09-06-2005, 01:55 PM
I've got no forward. Boat goes into reverse almost too easy. Back to neutral is tough. Sometimes I have to hit it forward to get it to stop "clicking". History: Several weeks ago I put it in forward while engine was off. I had to adjust the shift cable (turn barrel nut) in order to get into forward. I tried adjusting the shift cable this time but no matter how many turns I put on the barrel nut I get no forward. The boat ran great last weekend. Is it just a shift cable? Can I fix it myself? 454 mag; Bravo 1 drive.

Trueser
09-06-2005, 02:42 PM
If you have not changed it I would start there.

Read all about it @ http://www.sterndrives.com/supplies/mainsupplies.html

Good Luck

DonziJon
09-06-2005, 03:51 PM
I've got no forward. Boat goes into reverse almost too easy. Back to neutral is tough. Sometimes I have to hit it forward to get it to stop "clicking". History: Several weeks ago I put it in forward while engine was off. I had to adjust the shift cable (turn barrel nut) in order to get into forward. I tried adjusting the shift cable this time but no matter how many turns I put on the barrel nut I get no forward. The boat ran great last weekend. Is it just a shift cable? Can I fix it myself? 454 mag; Bravo 1 drive.

I have no experience with Bravo 1, but I do have experience with Alpha 1. Try again with the adjustments at the engine end linkage. The adjustment can be fussy. If you can't resolve the problem there, I believe you have to 'Pull the Drive". This is NOT a fun job. Getting it off is eazy enough but getting it back on is a real pain. The alpha 1 weighs over 85 pounds, without the prop. I'm sure the Bravo weighs more. It can be done by hand but a hoist is really the better way to go. After the drive is off...then you get to replace the short cable that runs into the boat through the bell housing via a rubber bellows and up to the throttle linkage. The cable isn't that expensive.. maybe 60 or $70. I was quoted roughly $350. for labor maybe 4 years ago for the Alpha.

My advice: If you are a real adventurer, and have some mechanical aptitude, and a "Clymers" Mercruiser Manual, (Available at West Marine) give it a try: OR bite the bullet and get a Pro to do it.

mrfixxall
09-06-2005, 04:13 PM
try to shift it by hand first.. do this by removing the shift cable from the shift linkage that goes down to the gimble housing. if it goes into gear their then you know that the cable is stretched...replacing the cable is a simple job just make sure you use a oe merc cable.........

jdp_509
09-07-2005, 08:01 AM
I Had The Same Problem With Mine. What Had Happened Was , The Coupling That Joins The Engine And The Outdrive Together Had Been Rubbing The Cable Were It Went Through The Transom. I Could Go In Reverse Because The Cable Pulls To Go In Reverse But Foward The Cable Has To Push. The Teflon On The Cable Was Rubbed Off In One Area . Had To Buy New Cable And Labor $399.00