PDA

View Full Version : Txp Prop

John W
09-06-2005, 09:40 AM
I finally got to installing the repaired TXP , 14.75 x 26 prop. To my annoyance it did the same thing it did before I sent it back. I do not think the hub is blown out it just doe not grab any water, cavitates like hell, RPMS pegged no speed and very little forward motion. I think it is time to try a hydromotive, this Turbo TXP is not working for me at all and I am tired of it.
Just venting a little!!! If some one has one that works with the 496 HO, 1.5:1 bravo x drive, I would love to hear about it, so far it Tits up for me.
JW

ChromeGorilla
09-06-2005, 09:45 AM
Hmmmmmm.....? And I was gonna get one too..... Theres gotta be some explaination. Haven't a couple people tried it and liked it. RTSE and Doc...... :confused:

BUIZILLA
09-06-2005, 09:46 AM
do you have your tabs all the way up ??

roadtrip se
09-06-2005, 10:23 AM
even after I modified the ears a little around the docks at the 1000 Islands rally. Doc's reports have been very positive as well.

I run a very high x-dimension, which means I can sit and spin any prop just like is being described here. I have to roll up onto plane and then let her rip!

Doc has the Cobra Drive with the Captain Nemo style x-dimension. I don't think he has the same issue getting her up on plane that I do.

Not a big fan of the jack rabbit starts any way, especially after being forced into an unplanned XR drive upgrade.

John W
09-06-2005, 11:17 AM
MP,
I have not tried another prop yet. It does not get up on plane at all. It is very responsivew from 600 to 1000 rpm, after that it just spins. This is just a stock Donzi, with a 496 HO, nuthing fancy.
The old reliable Mirage Plus 25 works fine except for its bad habits. I am now thinking I should go Hydromotive. I think I will call them today, and see what they reccomend.
Thanks,
JW

TE=MadPoodle]Have you tried another prop?

Does it eventually get on plane?[/QUOTE]

John W
09-06-2005, 01:55 PM
MP,
It has a turbo T-lock hub, no markings on the Brass T-Lock insert, Just cast on the inside of the Prop hub itself. I tried all different ways just to get the boat up on plane, but nothing seems to work. Still waiting on a call from Steve at Turbo, Phone is busy at Hydromotive. Just twiddling my thumbs.
JW

Poodle and confused in the same sentence..... Seems to be a trend here..

I seem to recall that you mentioned a hub spinning originally? The TXP uses a T lock hub, or a Merc Flo Torq. Both are removeable hubs. If it were to spin it, it doesnt go back to the prop shop, you just get a replacement for it.

Which hub are you using?

Are you sure you have the proper thrust washer and it is engaging the splines fully?

If you have a T lok hub, it should be stamped TTL100 on the splined end. It should have come with a bronze thrust washer, approx 5/8" thick, tapered internally...

I can post pics of the T-lock tonite when I get home if you need... Flo torq also for that matter...

John W
09-06-2005, 02:09 PM
Just got off the phone with Todd from hydromotive. He recommended the Quad 4 15.5 X 24, as a starting point. He said to run the boat, get the rpms close then play with the pitch to get it dialed in. Once the rpms are just a little under he recommends that the prop be cut down to 15 X Pitch, to get ther rpms up.
Will keep the board advised. It should be in the mail tomorrow. The TXP is going back.
JW

Rootsy
09-06-2005, 03:18 PM
if you wanted a hydromotive i would have called throttle up... jmho... also.. hydromotive is made by precision propeller... precision prop IS turbo propellers...

Jamie

ChromeGorilla
09-06-2005, 03:21 PM
So what does everyone think.....is this just not the right prop for a 496 22? Should I try it or do you think I will have same results. This was the prop recomended by Turbo when I spoke on the phone with them. Are they that far off?

smoothie
09-06-2005, 03:39 PM
Once the rpms are just a little under he recommends that the prop be cut down to 15 X Pitch, to get ther rpms up.
Will keep the board advised. It should be in the mail tomorrow. The TXP is going back.
JW

Looks like Todd is giving away all the secrets :boat:

Sam
09-06-2005, 09:02 PM
I would go to Throtle Up for Hydromotive info, ask for Julie.

Sam

John W
09-06-2005, 09:23 PM
MP,
I sent the Prop back this afternoon. I have no pics of . If chrome want to try one and you have the TXP 26p prop in stock, without the Tlock, then hell give it a shot. The T-lock did not work for me. Hopefully you have one with a flo-torque hub. Perhaps that will work.
Hope to have the hydro next week for a seatrial. Hopefully on tuesday.
But I need to get my tach fixed now, it jumps all over the place, don't know if the tach is bad or a loose wire.
Got to love a BOAT, broken or about to.
JW

I really really would like to see a pic of this TXP and hub b4 it goes back...

Chrome, I might be able to arrange a demo for ya @ 'sota.... Cost ya a beer afterwards :) :)

Oh wait, Nate's buying beers, I forgot :D :D :D :sombrero:

Dr. Dan
09-07-2005, 06:33 AM
:smash: Well this weekend I experienced Performance Symptoms ...very similar to what JW is discribing here. I could get to about 2000 rpms and all of the sudden I thought I spun the hub...again.... except this time it was on my new ... super nice performing TXP?

Liz and I were running out to the Bay with a friend and we were running maybe 35 to 40 mph.... we slowed down for a cruiser wake...to maybe 20. When all of the sudden the RPM's went up...just like in Lake George when I spun my new 27 Turbo(and that was the Hub). I tried to gradually get it above the 1800 to 2000 rpm's and it wouldn't do it. So I idled over to a beach area....and changed the Prop to the reliable 25 pitch 3 Blade Turbo.

Worked fine. So Monday I take the Torque Flo Hub out(this is for a King Cobra) and I found no damage, no cracked Prop Splines in the Squared Center Hub and no marks or fractures in the Bronze Insert? Go figure... :rolleyes: this prop ran fine all of the previous week...and got me to my current top speed... so I am seriously conflicted about this....

I will be trying it again in Lake George this weekend. I am also gonna try the 27 again, cuz its never really been run at high rpms yet...fully trimmed.

I hope the Aeration or whatever happened with the TXP is just a freak thing...the Thrust Rings were matched, nuts tight, Rubber Inserts looked fine, I cleaned everything and inspected it all in detail under serious light, yadda yadda yadda...it was bizarre. I expected to find the internals of the TXP Twisted to shreds...but noooooooooooo ! So I put it all back together, fitted it to the Prop Shaft...everything appears normal. :beer:

I'll let ya know what I come up with...this weekend.

Doc of Turbosonic Hydrodynamic Aeration Technologies & Scantilly Clad Members... :spongebob

Pismo
09-07-2005, 07:07 AM
Try a labbed 26" Bravo I.

John W
09-07-2005, 07:37 AM
MP,
I thoght I spun the hub the first time. Apparently I did not, the gatekeeper said they had to addsomething to the t-lok. I honestly do not remember. I do know that when I talked to Chris, he said to try the TXP with out the vent holes, the prop I was sent had vent holes. Could this be the culprit?, I do not know how much exhaust comes thru the hub, I would imagine that some does goe thru. Would the vent holes be enough to cavitate the prop? There was no rubber exposed and I did not know till yesterday, thanks MP, that the T-lock was basicly a flo-torq hub. If the gate keeperat Turbo had passed along the messages or put someone else on the line, the issue may have been solved. I guess they do not care enough.

I do remeber from my first call to Turbo, the gatekeeper repeatedly told me that thier props do not work with big block engines, I guess she was right.
Doc, does your TXP have the vent holes under the blades?
It just seemed that the prop would not bite any water, at above 2000rpms it would just spin.
The hydro is on the way.
JW
MP seeing as you are a dealer, perhaps you know somebody to talk to, perhaps chris or steve at precision.

Dr. Dan
09-07-2005, 08:07 AM
:banghead: Yes, actually all of my Turbos have the vent holes, never had an issue, I do not have any exhaust going out there, just straight Pipes out the Transom.

I am gonna try it again at the picnic...and see what I come up with...its all part of the fun I guess.

Doc :bonk:

undertaker
09-07-2005, 08:54 AM
Doc glad to hear you are going to lake George heard a rumor you might be going to RTB in Northeast. See ya at Lake George. Had a great weekend at the beach I DID take the boat she ran great saw 75 MPH (speedo) starting to get the feel of this boat. Talk to ya later.

Undertaker

PS Sorry for hikjacking thread :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

Rootsy
09-07-2005, 10:28 AM
a prop does not work with a BBC? that is a new one on me... last i knew a prop didn't rightly give a flying crap what kinda motor was in the boat... as long as it had enough leverage to keep the motor from over revving vs the load imposed on it..

for the most part, folks calling the likes of turbo, etc are like those calling Holley tech support... average idiots that don't know a jet from a float or pitch from diameter... so you get the gatekeeper scenario...

sounds like one of 2 or 3 things happening here... either the hub is spinning in the prop (not locking like it is supposed to)... or the prop is ventilating... but if the prop bites and then suddenly one day it wont... well i would rule out the ventilation theory...

The only way you are gonna have any exhaust gas through the vent holes is if you have thru-prop exhaust or a silent choice or Q&Q type of setup where you can direct exhaust through the hub... the majority of our boats are thru-hull only...

ventilation holes aid in getting out of the hole by helping ventilate the prop so it can spool up vs being overloaded w/ an underpowered engine, etc etc etc.

if i had to guess i would say that they are having issues with their new hub system... but i have not seen this new system so it is difficult to evaluate...

any photos?

RickSE
09-07-2005, 01:06 PM
Why are you guys using hub inserts? Do Turbo's not come with solid hubs? Last I heard hub inserts were only good up to 400 H.P.

RickR
09-07-2005, 08:20 PM
Pic of T-Loc, there is NOOOOO way it would spin without destroying the brass inner hub.
If I remember correctly Precision recommends a max HP of 350 for their rubber hubbed props.

roadtrip se
09-07-2005, 10:05 PM
Why are you guys using hub inserts? Do Turbo's not come with solid hubs? Last I heard hub inserts were only good up to 400 H.P.

Um, well this issue seems to be a matter of contention here, but I agree with you Rick and Rick. I haven't had a soft hubbed prop since I graduated out of my 310HP 454-powered Chapparal back in 1989. Ironically, that was the last boat with a prop I spun a hub on.

And my TXP with solid square hub, which isn't any differrent than the square hub currently available on Mercury props has worked most excellent on my big block 22 Donzi.

Could the mystery be solved?

John W
09-07-2005, 10:32 PM
My rig with a stock Mirage plus 25, goes like a bat out of hell, just with the mirage issues which is why I wanted a different prop to begin with. It has a flo-torque hub and has no probelms getting on a plane what so ever. I will keep trying props til I find the right one.

Um, well this issue seems to be a matter of contention here, but I agree with you Rick and Rick. I haven't had a soft hubbed prop since I graduated out of my 310HP 454-powered Chapparal back in 1989. Ironically, that was the last boat with a prop I spun a hub on.

And my TXP with solid square hub, which isn't any differrent than the square hub currently available on Mercury props has worked most excellent on my big block 22 Donzi.

Could the mystery be solved?

bob haver
09-08-2005, 05:28 AM
:smash: Well this weekend I experienced Performance Symptoms ...very similar to what JW is discribing here. I could get to about 2000 rpms and all of the sudden I thought I spun the hub...again.... except this time it was on my new ... super nice performing TXP?

Liz and I were running out to the Bay with a friend and we were running maybe 35 to 40 mph.... we slowed down for a cruiser wake...to maybe 20. When all of the sudden the RPM's went up...just like in Lake George when I spun my new 27 Turbo(and that was the Hub). I tried to gradually get it above the 1800 to 2000 rpm's and it wouldn't do it. So I idled over to a beach area....and changed the Prop to the reliable 25 pitch 3 Blade Turbo.

Worked fine. So Monday I take the Torque Flo Hub out(this is for a King Cobra) and I found no damage, no cracked Prop Splines in the Squared Center Hub and no marks or fractures in the Bronze Insert? Go figure... :rolleyes: this prop ran fine all of the previous week...and got me to my current top speed... so I am seriously conflicted about this....

I will be trying it again in Lake George this weekend. I am also gonna try the 27 again, cuz its never really been run at high rpms yet...fully trimmed.

I hope the Aeration or whatever happened with the TXP is just a freak thing...the Thrust Rings were matched, nuts tight, Rubber Inserts looked fine, I cleaned everything and inspected it all in detail under serious light, yadda yadda yadda...it was bizarre. I expected to find the internals of the TXP Twisted to shreds...but noooooooooooo ! So I put it all back together, fitted it to the Prop Shaft...everything appears normal. :beer:

I'll let ya know what I come up with...this weekend.

Doc of Turbosonic Hydrodynamic Aeration Technologies & Scantilly Clad Members... :spongebobdoc see if you can find the right hub for the king so we can throw on bravo 1 lab 26 i have 2one is brand new in the box.you might be surprised on the outcome.:p bob

Dr. Dan
09-08-2005, 07:23 AM
doc see if you can find the right hub for the king so we can throw on bravo 1 lab 26 i have 2one is brand new in the box.you might be surprised on the outcome.:p bob

Bob, I have the one for the King....it's the only way it would work on my Drive Shaft. Also originally they had sent the Bravo FloTorque and it would not even go down the Shaft. The King is TTL200 or whatever compared to the 100 number Poodledge mentioned.

I think it had to just be ventilating for some strange reason...anyway, I will have all my stuff to change Props...as long as your prop is a square bore Hub it should work...my TXP looks like the pics Rick Ryan posted.

See Ya This Weekend Bob

Doc of the Bay Airation Society :smash:

John W
09-10-2005, 09:24 PM
The hydro is here. It si going on the boat tomorrow(Sunday). I have no tach, it was sent back to Livorsi to see what its problem was. I hope this one works.
I will post gps speed, thats all i have.
JW

Dr. Dan
09-17-2005, 10:34 PM
:p Well tonite I had a chance to run the boat down at almost dark, dunk it and see what the deal was with the TXP. This time I had 4 people in the boat...took a quick run down to Jackson Marine and absolutely no issues...ran fine.

So I conclude it musta been Bay Gremlins and some combination of Hallucinagenic Drugs that got us earlier. Anyway..it worked fine...I will keep it on the rest of the Season and keep testing.

So far when it runs its, a scalded dog(Sorry Poodle) .

Doc of TXP Poulterguise :spongebob

boldts
09-19-2005, 10:52 PM
All the TXP props at AOTH this year had their vent holes plugged. I was helping Chris do this in their room. Also, the guys from Atlanta told me that they have always filled their vent holes in Turbo props.

Can't remember what Chris was using to fill these holes, but skip the gatekeeper who is used to talking to bass fishermen and ask for Steve or Chris directly. Tell them Scott Boldt from the Midwest Donzi Club told you to talk to them. They've ridden in Donzi Classics and know what we have. Like Rootsy said, it the difference between talking to the local parts counter person who only knows parts numbers vs talking to the designer of the part.

John W
09-20-2005, 09:19 PM
Doc,
Does your prop have vent holes? You must have gotten a prop made on a tuesday, mine was started on a friday and finished on a monday. I am glad the TXP works for you, I am now interested what the hydro will do for me. My rig goes in for more warranty work Tomorrow, I think a new tach sender.
I will have her back next tuesday and in the water tuesday afternoon.
My fingers are crossed.
Oh, BTW, The yellow fin bite is on in OCMD, also lots of nice and tasty Mahi.
JW

:p Well tonite I had a chance to run the boat down at almost dark, dunk it and see what the deal was with the TXP. This time I had 4 people in the boat...took a quick run down to Jackson Marine and absolutely no issues...ran fine.

So I conclude it musta been Bay Gremlins and some combination of Hallucinagenic Drugs that got us earlier. Anyway..it worked fine...I will keep it on the rest of the Season and keep testing.

So far when it runs its, a scalded dog(Sorry Poodle) .

Doc of TXP Poulterguise :spongebob

Dr. Dan
09-21-2005, 09:20 AM
:spongebob Mine has the Vent holes open. If its having an impact...I don't notice it...I plan to run this weekend if time and weather allows. I will keep ya posted.

This boat is ridiculously quick, the midrange is incredible, very easy to smile alot while driving.

Turbo Props Rock...when I get extra money I don't know what to do with I will order a 24 Hydro Quad IV. It will be a while though. Still digging out from the Recent Unpleasantness earlier this year. :beer:

Post your results when ya gettem John.

Doc of Random Thoughts and Unprovoked Rebuttals :spongebob

blackhawk
09-21-2005, 09:51 AM
Vent holes should have no affect on a prop's performance if you have through hull exhaust.