PDA

View Full Version : 6.2 Mx

Cuda
09-06-2005, 06:52 AM
Who's running one? What do you think of them?

SMLDONZI
09-06-2005, 08:57 AM
I ordered the 6.2 in my 18C and have now had it just over a year. Great power and absolutely no negative issues. Has about 35 hours now.

Will

pmreed
09-06-2005, 09:27 AM
Mark (Last Tango) has a 6.2 in his 18, and I think he's happy with it. I've ridden with him, and it's a nice package.

Phil

ChromeGorilla
09-06-2005, 09:40 AM
I've ridden with him, and it's a nice package.

Phil

Whoa Phil.......this is a family site! :biggrin.:

Lenny
09-06-2005, 10:29 AM
Brad Verd has one as well in his X-18. He took out his stroker carb motor and put one of these in. He might be a good one to talk to as well. Fresh water cooling as Factory is a nice touch.

We pay about $14K US for a complete new Bravo package from Merc.

txtaz
09-06-2005, 10:47 AM
What does the Mx mean?
BTW, a 6.2 in an 18 has GOT to be fast.
Wes

smokediver
09-06-2005, 10:55 AM
are you thinking about re-powering the minx ?

Cuda
09-06-2005, 03:13 PM
are you thinking about re-powering the minx ?
I'm considering it. I'm thinking of downsizing the fleet. Since I moved over here, I really don't have a place that I need the 302 Formula. I was thinking of either selling the 302, and the Minx, then buying a new or nearly new 22 Classic, OR selling the 302, putting a NEW 6.2 and Bravo in the Minx, then pocketing a little change.

SMLDONZI
09-06-2005, 04:20 PM
What does the Mx mean?
BTW, a 6.2 in an 18 has GOT to be fast.
Wes

txtaz, I think MX means "Mercury Exclusive".

Will

txtaz
09-06-2005, 04:37 PM
txtaz, I think MX means "Mercury Exclusive".

Will
Thank you,
I looked up the 6.2 Mx and was surprised to find it only put out 320hp. A 5.7 Mag puts out 350. I would have thought it would be more.
Wes

Cuda
09-06-2005, 04:56 PM
Taz, the 350 Mag puts out 300 hp.

ChromeGorilla
09-06-2005, 05:05 PM
Cuda is right. 350 MAG is 300 horse.

txtaz
09-06-2005, 05:29 PM
300, That's what I meant....Geeeessshhhhhh, the critics on here... :biggrin.:

smokediver
09-06-2005, 06:15 PM
you might want to check if you can get a re-manned engine from merc . I paid about 4 grand for my 5.7 and with a 4bbl. manifold and carb it should be around 300-310 horse . I think a 6.2 is about 2 times the money ... mine came with a bravo coupler but the alpha fits right in so there is no problem there ... just gotta take it easy coming out of the hole ...

Cuda
09-06-2005, 06:30 PM
If I go the 6.2 route, I'll bite the bullet and by new stuff. I'm getting too old to lose anymore boating days. :(

Cuda
09-06-2005, 06:32 PM
Heck, I might me making much out of nothing. I haven't gotten a chance to really delve into the Minx to see why it won't turn over fast. Could be just a simple as a bad connection. I tell you though, I wish I had gone the new route from the get go. Who can put a price on the boating you miss fooling around with engines.

Cuda
09-06-2005, 06:33 PM
Smoke, where did you buy your reman?

Pismo
09-06-2005, 07:11 PM
Cuda, I would like to look into buying your 302 if you are selling it.

smokediver
09-06-2005, 07:41 PM
Smoke, where did you buy your reman?

I bought it over in miami ... Miami Motors . They are in a marina over on biscayne blvd . Johnny is the guys' name who runs the place . I think poodle can order one for you as well ... It came with a warranty from merc. and it was turnkey ... down to the water seperator turn key ! easy ... once i got the darn thing in there !!!!! :smash: if you get interested let me know , I will get a phone number for you ...

KRAVEN
09-06-2005, 08:54 PM
Running the 6.2 scorpion in my 2002 18,bravo1xz drive 1.5.74 gps :p

Mr X
09-06-2005, 09:07 PM
Running TWIN 6.2 Scorpions in my 28ZX Scorpion Edition, 83.4 on GPS :p :p

http://www.donzi.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=14384

BaldEagle
09-07-2005, 12:00 AM
I have a 6.2 MPI in my 18C. Its rating is 320 Hp at the crankshaft. Its a cast iron block with sea water cooling. Its turning a Bravo-1. Its an 06 so I only have 18 hrs on it but it seems to run fine.
At least thats what all those boats behind me said.
BE

Cuda
09-07-2005, 06:00 AM
Cuda, I would like to look into buying your 302 if you are selling it.
I'll let you know.
Thanks

smokediver
09-07-2005, 06:35 AM
You were at Johnnie's and ya didnt come by for lunch? 5 blocks from my office...

Did ya go by TnT and Lipship????? I had to quit going there, they said I was drooling on the goodies to much :eek: :eek:

Wish I would have known ! I actually went over in May to take my girlfriend over to the convention center in Miami Beach . (swear in for citizenship) .
Her first act as an american was to go to Johnnies to see my new engine . I had bought it sight unseen and it happened to come in around the same time that we needed to be over there ... :biggrin: I guess there aren't too many Donzi's in Czech ... :rolleyes:

Pismo
09-07-2005, 08:14 PM
MrX

That's a beautiful setup...........

Mr X
09-07-2005, 08:49 PM
Thanks Pismo.

Pismo
09-08-2005, 12:52 PM
700 prop hp out of two smallblocks, awesome setup.

Magicallbill
09-09-2005, 04:15 AM
Thank you,
I looked up the 6.2 Mx and was surprised to find it only put out 320hp. A 5.7 Mag puts out 350. I would have thought it would be more.
Wes
txtaz;
I have the 6.2 Scorpion Engine in my 18..
377 HP..
350PSHP
They have discontinued the Scorp Pak for the 18(Who knows why;What a great motor!)
I would get the 350 300HP Mag over the 6.2 320HP..
My son's 18C with the 350-Mag/Alpha is almost as fast as my Scorp,tried-and-true motor,and thousands less.
Just throwing more stuff in the pot of interesting information.....
MB

Mr X
09-09-2005, 06:35 AM
Ted,

Clean that poop off the deck would ya?? :D :D :D

ROTFLOL!!

You know, I noticed that after I posted them....:toiletpap

Last Tango
09-13-2005, 08:22 PM
I copied and pasted this response (below) from a thread on single or twins for 28ZX's on page 3 of this area. It is a portion of my response there. It seems fine here. Mr X. has a mighty awesome boat. As long as money is not in the equation, I would have picked exactly the same boat he currently has. But I have never had anyone snear at my '01 18 Classic, or tell me what a dog it is performance-wise. I prefer the new-tech enginieering of the MX6.2MPi over the low-tech of the 350. There is a LOT more than 20 HP difference in overall performance between the two. If you like instant starting in all conditions, awesome performance, and very good fuel mileage, go state-of-the-art. Carbs just don't do it anymore. Spend the afternoon boating, not sorting through fuel flow metering rods and mixture screws.

"I own and happily run a Classic 18 with the MX6.2MPi motor and a Bravo One drive. I researched the heck out of the Scorpion motor before I ordered my boat, then decided against it.
Fact: Scorpions REQUIRE Premium Gas. MX6.2MPi runs on any grade at the pump with no discernable difference in performance between grades used. (allows you to save about 20 cents a gallon per fill up between grades at the pump- YOU do the math for a season). Is Premium always available at the marinas you frequent? Using less than Premium in a Scorpion is okay, but the engine management system computers back off the timing to prevent detonation. How much HP do you have now? Using El Cheapo in an MX6.2MPi means you still have 320 HP.
Fact: There are really only TWO horsepower versions of the Scorpion. NEITHER had 377HP. Mercury rated them at 340HP and 350HP. V-drive ski tow boats usually got the bigger HP ones. Depends on where you measure the HP.
FACT: Don't get your hopes up for a new Scorpion. Motor is not in regular production anymore.
Fact: With a nice shiny (polished) set of EMI Thunder headers and manifolds, the MX6.2MPi is about the same HP as a stock Scorpion. Set of exhausts plus installation, about $1500. Price of Scorpion motor at the same displacement as the MX6.2MPi, about $7,000 more than the MX6.2 MPi, retail... each.
Fact: MX6.2MPi gets awesome fuel mileage. And all years of production have the full computer and chip diagnostics system. Wanna hook up a complete digital (SmartPack) gauge package. MX6.2MPi?...No problem., just plug 'er in. Scorpion?.. maybe. 350?...ummm.
The specs on the two motors are VERY similar. Difference is in the crank shaft design, cam timing, injection sytem, compression ratio. All that for 30 HP and $7k. MX6.2MPi can be supercharged as easily as the 350 MAG and starts out with more cubes and better parts. A Bravo One is a good choice for the drive."

I have always thought about adding a Whipple Supercharger at some future date. I never got around to it because at 70+ MPH, who really needs that much more speed in an 18? And is it really worth a new engine every few months to go another 8 MPH for 30 seconds on rare occasions?

377 Scorpion is 377 cubic inches "350" HP
MX6.2MPi is 377 cubic inches 320 HP
350 Mag is ... boring

Cuda
09-13-2005, 08:34 PM
I prefer the new-tech enginieering of the MX6.2MPi over the low-tech of the 350. There is a LOT more than 20 HP difference in overall performance between the two. If you like instant starting in all conditions, awesome performance, and very good fuel mileage, go state-of-the-art. Carbs just don't do it anymore. Spend the afternoon boating, not sorting through fuel flow metering rods and mixture screws.

What is the hi-tech difference between the 350 Mpi, and the 6.2, other than the displacement?

Mr X
09-13-2005, 08:53 PM
I copied and pasted this response (below) from a thread on single or twins for 28ZX's on page 3 of this area. It is a portion of my response there. It seems fine here. Mr X. has a mighty awesome boat. As long as money is not in the equation, I would have picked exactly the same boat he currently has. But I have never had anyone snear at my '01 18 Classic, or tell me what a dog it is performance-wise. I prefer the new-tech enginieering of the MX6.2MPi over the low-tech of the 350. There is a LOT more than 20 HP difference in overall performance between the two. If you like instant starting in all conditions, awesome performance, and very good fuel mileage, go state-of-the-art. Carbs just don't do it anymore. Spend the afternoon boating, not sorting through fuel flow metering rods and mixture screws.

"I own and happily run a Classic 18 with the MX6.2MPi motor and a Bravo One drive. I researched the heck out of the Scorpion motor before I ordered my boat, then decided against it.
Fact: Scorpions REQUIRE Premium Gas. MX6.2MPi runs on any grade at the pump with no discernable difference in performance between grades used. (allows you to save about 20 cents a gallon per fill up between grades at the pump- YOU do the math for a season). Is Premium always available at the marinas you frequent? Using less than Premium in a Scorpion is okay, but the engine management system computers back off the timing to prevent detonation. How much HP do you have now? Using El Cheapo in an MX6.2MPi means you still have 320 HP.
Fact: There are really only TWO horsepower versions of the Scorpion. NEITHER had 377HP. Mercury rated them at 340HP and 350HP. V-drive ski tow boats usually got the bigger HP ones. Depends on where you measure the HP.
FACT: Don't get your hopes up for a new Scorpion. Motor is not in regular production anymore.
Fact: With a nice shiny (polished) set of EMI Thunder headers and manifolds, the MX6.2MPi is about the same HP as a stock Scorpion. Set of exhausts plus installation, about $1500. Price of Scorpion motor at the same displacement as the MX6.2MPi, about $7,000 more than the MX6.2 MPi, retail... each.
Fact: MX6.2MPi gets awesome fuel mileage. And all years of production have the full computer and chip diagnostics system. Wanna hook up a complete digital (SmartPack) gauge package. MX6.2MPi?...No problem., just plug 'er in. Scorpion?.. maybe. 350?...ummm.
The specs on the two motors are VERY similar. Difference is in the crank shaft design, cam timing, injection sytem, compression ratio. All that for 30 HP and $7k. MX6.2MPi can be supercharged as easily as the 350 MAG and starts out with more cubes and better parts. A Bravo One is a good choice for the drive."

I have always thought about adding a Whipple Supercharger at some future date. I never got around to it because at 70+ MPH, who really needs that much more speed in an 18? And is it really worth a new engine every few months to go another 8 MPH for 30 seconds on rare occasions?

377 Scorpion is 377 cubic inches "350" HP
MX6.2MPi is 377 cubic inches 320 HP
350 Mag is ... boring

Mark, thank you for the compliments on my boat.

With all due respect I MUST dispute your Horsepower spec. and data though.

This is THE Mercury spec page for the Scorpion.

http://www.mercurymarine.com/8226scorpion_377_-_377_hp

There are several more differences too.......check out the "ft. lbs. of torque"

blackhawk
09-13-2005, 09:15 PM
The scorpion is rated at 377 at the crank. I believe 350 at the prop.

It's funny in that post they say how the scorpion isn't worth it for 30 hp, but yet the 350 mag is "boring" when compared to the standard 6.2 which only 20 hp more! :rolleyes:

Mr X
09-13-2005, 09:17 PM
The scorpion is rated at 377 at the crack. I believe 350 at the prop.

It's funny in that post they say how the scorpion isn't worth it for 30 hp, but yet the 350 mag is "boring" when compared to the standard 6.2 which only 20 hp more! :rolleyes:

At the crack...??? http://instagiber.net/smiliesdotcom/contrib/tweetz/bootyshake.gif
Thats NASTY, just NASTY!

blackhawk
09-13-2005, 09:20 PM
At the crack...??? Thats NASTY, just NASTY!

I know, that's a lot of hp at the crack! :biggrin:

blackhawk
09-13-2005, 09:22 PM
What is the hi-tech difference between the 350 Mpi, and the 6.2, other than the displacement?

I would to. They appear to have the exact same ignition and MPI system. :confused:

Cuda
09-13-2005, 09:50 PM
I would to. They appear to have the exact same ignition and MPI system. :confused:
At a cost of a couple grand.

smokediver
09-14-2005, 07:08 AM
I think the scorpions motors are given a little more attention through the build process . They would have to be as it is balanced and blueprinted . I think the pistons are different as well ... I guess one could also put emi headers on a 350 mag and get close to the 6.2 in horsepower for the same argument . Mercury has a history of under rating its' racing engines ... Btw ... I am happy with my carbed 350 :yes:

Rootsy
09-14-2005, 08:19 AM
sorry to say but there is no voodoo in the 6.2 or the 6.2 scorpion... no mysterious injection or ignition system... no custom super dooper camshaft voodoo... just basic gen I sbc parts that can mostly be bought right from summitracing or GMPP... the big price tag for the scorpion, i believe, comes from the hand teardown and reassembly with some different components to aid in longevity and performance, once the engine is received from GM (most likely as the 6.2 MX base) to make it the scorpion... from all of the scorpions i've seen... for the price, they could have at least put some custom valve covers on the damn thing... and not painted the stock GM covers with a can of blue spray paint.. :rolleyes:

and quite honestly... i don't believe that swapping the stock merc exhaust for one of the aftermarkets (like imco, SM or EMI) is going to get you anywhere near 30 hp, not on a sub 400 hp mouse motor... not short of going to a full length tube header... and one of these days (when the honey-do list diminishes) i'll get around to backing that statement up with some real world dyno data...

the 6.2MX would be my choice if i was going for a new SBC from Mercury...

blackhawk
09-14-2005, 10:02 AM
Rootsy, just out of curiosity, do you think that GM assembles all the 6.2 motors even though that is not one of "their" motors and is a merc motor only?

RickSE
09-14-2005, 12:03 PM
GM does not build the 6.2's, at least this is what the Merc. Rep. told me. From what I was told both 6.2's are Merc. customs, GM castings with Lunati assemblies.

Ted let me know when you want to get rid of that one. I fell in love with the 28 Scorp. the day you took us out in one at the dealer show. I believe it was the same year the first SE was there. I'd really like to move up but don't think I could ever get rid of my SE. Guess I'll just have to own two boats. :bonk: Or I could just wait til my dad gets tired of his 33ZX w/500's. :yes:

When is Merc. going to sell the new GM 6.0? The inboard guys already have the 6.0, along with cruise control and throttle by wire. Merc is in the dark ages.

Mr X
09-14-2005, 12:54 PM
GM does not build the 6.2's, at least this is what the Merc. Rep. told me. From what I was told both 6.2's are Merc. customs, GM castings with Lunati assemblies.

Ted let me know when you want to get rid of that one. I fell in love with the 28 Scorp. the day you took us out in one at the dealer show. I believe it was the same year the first SE was there. I'd really like to move up but don't think I could ever get rid of my SE. Guess I'll just have to own two boats. :bonk: Or I could just wait til my dad gets tired of his 33ZX w/500's. :yes:

When is Merc. going to sell the new GM 6.0? The inboard guys already have the 6.0, along with cruise control and throttle by wire. Merc is in the dark ages.

Will do Rick, you know me.......I never keep anything very long.....

blackhawk
09-14-2005, 01:39 PM

I knew they weren't GM motors but I was curious if a division of GM assembled them for Merc or if Merc assembled them.

I find it odd that they offered their own 6.2 instead of the 6.0. Seems more logical too offer a GM motor. I know Volvo is offering the 6.0 next year and rumor has it maybe even a factory SC 6.0 to replace th 496. Hmmmm, a factory powered 400 hp small block sounds pretty good to me! :D

Mr X
09-16-2005, 06:18 PM
Gosh, I hope Last Tango (Mark) didnt get his feelings hurt.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion.......and preferance.
Thats why Mercury builds so many different engines.

Cuda
09-16-2005, 07:38 PM
There was something mentioned earlier about the 6.2 being a better candidate for supercharging. I thought I read somewhere that it isn't as good for SC because the rings are located higher on the pistons.

Last Tango
09-16-2005, 09:42 PM
Dear Scorpion King (Mr. X),
My feelings hurt? Not hardly. I knew right away my comments might stir up some tough responses from the 350 Mag folks. As for the Scorpion folks, heck, THEY have nothing to be unahppy about... They own a Scorpion-powered Donzi, for chrissake! They couldn't care LESS about the bellyaching and positioning and chest thumping of ALL the others. The others ALL WISH they had a blue motor under the hood, yeah, including ME. And all this talk about superchargers and headers and whatever... not a single one from the Scorpion owners. THEY just don't need it! Everyone else is just trying to catch up.
I agree that everyone here is entitled to an OPINION. However, some FACTS are hard to dispute. And if every Donzi had single or twin blue motors, what fun would that be? I have an MX6.2MPi because I wanted a badass boat but I wasn't willing to pay the premium for the badestass motor.
Same reason I drive a red Porsche 996 Carrera and not the Turbo. Same color red as the Donzi, too.

Mr X
09-16-2005, 10:19 PM
Good, just making sure :)

Hope to see ya soon Mark,

Ted

ChromeGorilla
09-16-2005, 11:36 PM
Same reason I drive a red Porsche 996 Carrera and not the Turbo.

NO, that's because your scared..... :D

olredalert
09-17-2005, 10:15 AM
-------As a few may be kind enough to remember, I have a 340hp bobtail Scorpion in front of a merc trans TRS. Its just me but now that I have it rebuilt and finally re-propped somewhere near correct I love my combo. Dyno said just short of 400hp and 420tq. Thats due mainly to the aluminum fast-burns and the exhaust and the Crockett computer tune. Tyler has told me after the dyno time that the intake appears to be the hold up on mine making what he felt it should. Apparently somewhat restrictive. He thinks there may be as much as 40/50 more horsepower hiding in there somewhere. I was just so happy to have it back I stopped thinking about any further tweaking for awhile!!! I havent been able to get out with anyone that has a handheld yet but the boat is strong. I know it was just my dumb luck but Im not sure that the Mercury hand tear-down and reassembly is all that great a deal. Im guessing that what happened on mine is that the eyes werent watching what the hands were installing. But I guess if things hadnt gone the way they did I would have left the engine alone at 340hp, so Im taking the outlook that its all good.........Bill S

Mr X
09-18-2005, 07:54 AM
B,

I thought yours was a black motor......

I like the new #'s... Look around a 25 pitch, or a 24 Hydro....

340 HP is a Black Scorpion.

olredalert
09-18-2005, 12:08 PM
--------You are correct on the black part. Just my way of saying something screwed up somewhere on the assembly part of this particular piece. It does have exactly the same intake as Kravens 18 Scorpion and I painted a portion of it blue. Does that count??? And are you guys saying that my engine started out as a 340hp as compared to a 350hp or a 377 hp??? In which way is my engine rated 340, crank or prop??? I suspect crank but dont honestly know..............Bill S

Mr X
09-18-2005, 03:31 PM
340 HP at the Crank.

http://www.mercurymarine.com/mx_6.2_black_scorpian_-_340hp

olredalert
09-18-2005, 07:35 PM
Ted,

-------Thank you very much for that. I just printed it out. Believe it or not I had never seen this. Mine looks substantially different now with the aluminum manifolds and Rex stainless risers and aluminum fast burns. I also had to have some manifold spacers almost an inch thick made to push out the exhaust manifolds enough to clear the new sheet metal valve covers I had to use to cover the double roller rockers. I had the entire intake polished and then went back and did some black and some Merc blue. Crockett couldnt break into the Motorola computer to reprogram and take advantage of all the new stuff. We had to change out the computers so that he could lap-top it. Cha-ching!!! But,,, what a difference that made. spent about three hours out on the boat reprogramming. It was kind of funny actually because I couldnt find any flat water and his fingers kept wanting to hit the wrong key and he had to hold a towel over his screen to see it. All at the same time...........Bill S

Cuda
09-18-2005, 07:41 PM
I never even knew there was a black Scorp. What are the differences? I noticed on Ted's link, they also have a 330 horse black Scorp.

Mr X
09-18-2005, 07:51 PM
Bill, no problem, sounds like you are going good now!

Cuda, there are actually 4 Scorpions. 1 blue one and 3 Black ones.

2 black 350 CI. 1 black 377 CI. 1 Blue 377 CI.

Cuda
09-18-2005, 07:59 PM
Ted, what years did they make the various models?

Mr X
09-19-2005, 08:49 AM
2000 - 2004