PDA

View Full Version : How to store anchor up under deck?

zimm17
09-05-2005, 07:55 AM
I have two small danforth anchors (I think 5 pounders) that I want to keep up under the deck for easy access. I use them every time I go out to the beach so I don't want to remove the rear seat pad or the carpet to get to them.

What can I put the anchors in to keep them from bounching around and damaging the hull? I guess I'm looking for some sort of salt-water proof canvas bag or something that will hold the anchor and 100' of line.

Any good tips?

Sagbay32
09-05-2005, 08:15 AM
I grabbed a small duffle bag that had wheels on it and pulled it in and out of the ski well on my 18. I unhooked one part of the shoulder strap and clipped it to the top of the ski well so I didn't have to crawl under to retrieve it. The anchors I wrapped in a towel to pad them a little. It worked flawlessly. I also kept any other essentials in the bag.

Mike

joseph m. hahnl
09-05-2005, 08:46 AM
I have two small danforth anchors (I think 5 pounders) that I want to keep up under the deck for easy access. I use them every time I go out to the beach so I don't want to remove the rear seat pad or the carpet to get to them.

What can I put the anchors in to keep them from bounching around and damaging the hull? I guess I'm looking for some sort of salt-water proof canvas bag or something that will hold the anchor and 100' of line.

Any good tips?

you could try a battery box with cover and strap

joe

Marlin275
09-05-2005, 09:05 AM
My boat has extra old life preservers and fenders.
I put the anchor on those and it doesn't move around or damage anything.
The line is coiled up under the anchor and that helps too.

roadtrip se
09-05-2005, 02:36 PM
from West Marine. Secures the anchor, the chain rode, and the line in one tidy package. Also keeps the dang thing from rattling while under way, which drives me crazy on the water and land!

BUIZILLA
09-05-2005, 02:44 PM
hell, my wet sneaker's weigh more than 5#'s :jestera:

DonziDave
09-05-2005, 09:33 PM
I have a Fortress anchor that is a Danforth type. It is made from billet aluminum and breaks down to fit into its own storage bag about 10" dia. X 2' long. Fits nicely up in the ski stow area cushioned by life jackets. Incredible holding power and a beautiful piece of craftsmanship.

Dr. Dan
09-06-2005, 05:50 AM
:spongebob I agree with Both Sagbay and Buizilla.
1.) Get an Anchor Bag, available from many Marine Supplies or an Army Surplus Store will have some Super Heavy Duty Drill Cloth Cotton, these work great, breath well and definitely pad it with old towels, this stops it from tearing the bag...let it get some sun occassionally to keep mildew and mold in check....I have done this for 5 Seasons... and no issues.

2.) Your sizing on your Anchors is too small, especially for a 22 Classic...IMO, sizing charts should put you around a 13lbs Danforth..just so ya know.

Good Luck

Doc of Anchor Bay :beer:

zimm17
09-06-2005, 08:43 AM
Thanks for the tips. I'll try the surplus canvas bag idea. I know 5 pound danforths are too small, but they work great for a calm day at the beach in 2 feet of water. I'm not anchoring in open water overnight or in a storm. Danforth's website says a standard 5 pounder holds 300 pounds. A 22' boat is recommended to have a 9 pounder good for 600 pounds just so you know. Their hi-tensile 5lbs anchor holds 1000 pounds and is good for a 31' boat too.

undertaker
09-06-2005, 09:19 AM
Got a anchor bag from this company www.topknot.com great bag holds anchor and 100' line and is red to match the boat. :biggrin.: Works great IMO.

Undertaker :bonk:

TheFees
09-17-2005, 09:08 PM

Any good tips?
I have two anchors onboard my 1987 18 foot classic 2+3; one regular size for an 18 footer, and one smaller for securing at the shoreline, or in shallow water. I toyed with all kinds of ideas, including putting an anchor holder inside the edge of the motor compartment. NOT. All it takes is one time getting free and there goes the belts or worse. Then I came upon the answer. I use a beach towel, which is the size of a larger bath towel. Mine has anchor pictures on it. :-)

When I pull up the anchor, and after dunking it a bunch of times to rinse it off, I carry it over to the area on the front bow/deck, immediately in front of the gauges, where I have laid out my thick towel, and gently set the anchor down with the tail leading forward, and the wide end near me. Then I take the rubber coated leader chain and metal rope end adapter and coil then in the towel with the anchor. Then I fold the whole towel over the anchor, with only the anchor line sticking out. Then this whole arrangement goes in the ski trough in the center under the dash. The long arm of the anchor goes in first, and the tail/wide end sits toward the back. One side of the rods at the wide part of the anchor sit outside of the ski trough ever so slightly, about a half an inch, but since they are wrapped in the towel, bumping into that flat-small metal end with the edge of your foot is never a problem. Plus it sits well out of the way.

For the small anchor, I do this whole procedure the same way, using a smaller towel. Since the small anchor is small enough to go up under the bow, and is small enough to sit inside the ski trough, it slides up in there real nice. Then I do the larger one as stated above in behind it. So they both fit in the ski trough. They sit so low, that you could still put a set of skis in there, although I question the idea of skiing off of a classic with a speed prop.
The nice about the towel set up, is that the towel can breathe, so any left over moisture on the anchor gets absorbed, and dries out by it self.

This whole putting away the anchor procedure only takes a minute, and since you are probably already standing on the bow, when you bring in the anchor, it is a natural to have the towel there already to gently set it onto.

I have been doing this anchor procedure for well over sixteen years and do not have a scratch, or even a scuff mark, on the bow, or in the ski trough as a result of doing it. It is safely in the “pamper my Donzi” category. It is easy, to use, and with a dunk-rinsed off anchor, the towel doesn’t even get soiled.
Do all Donzi classics or other models have a ski troughs? I’m not sure. This pertains to the 18. Hope this helps.

Sagbay32
09-17-2005, 09:16 PM
The Fees,
I am not sure I follow you. Could you be more specific?

j/k
Mike

TheFees
09-17-2005, 09:24 PM
The Fees,
I am not sure I follow you. Could you be more specific?

j/k
Mike Ok here is the long version. Wrap it in a towel, and place it in the ski trough. I guess I got a little wordy.:rolleyes:

JPR
09-17-2005, 10:52 PM
okay, now THAT sounds like my buddies winding each other up over a pint.

ChromeGorilla
09-17-2005, 11:53 PM
I have (2) 15 LB quasi-mushroom shaped anchors that look like this... :nuke: so they arent a full circle the have 3 legs. I have 50' of line on one and 100' on the other. I stow them both in the center floor locker on my 22. Works great for me. They just fit in with all the line and do not bounce around. I love those little suckers. They hold my boat pretty friggin good.

RedDog
09-18-2005, 10:45 AM
http://www.donzi.net/forums/showpost.php?p=342456&postcount=8

Kirk
09-18-2005, 07:22 PM
Check this model out...

I purchased both the shore spike & small box anchor for the 16' they both work quite well and store nicely.

Box Anchor (http://www.boxanchor.com/box.asp)

My .02

KJ

Carl C
09-18-2005, 08:39 PM
This anchor is rubber coated so I don't have to worry about it doing damage. It holds my 22C good. It usually sits on the floor for lack of a better place.

Chili 18
09-18-2005, 11:40 PM
Box anchor. Folds up and stores under the floor. Anchor loose on floor is potentially very dangerous if it sets to flying in an incident...

TheFees
09-20-2005, 02:15 PM
My boat has extra old life preservers and fenders.
I put the anchor on those and it doesn't move around or damage anything.
The line is coiled up under the anchor and that helps too.

Marlin275, I have a quck question for you. Do you have a big block in a 16 or 18 foot boat in the picture, or is it a 22? It just seems like it is sitting awfully low in the water in the stern. Like the the thru hull exhaust is taking on water. I have been seeing the picture many times, and each time I want to say something. I finally gave in and am writing to find out.
I jus gotta kno :wavey: TheFees
http://www.donzi.net/photos/gabeler2223.jpg

RedDog
09-21-2005, 10:25 AM
This anchor is rubber coated so I don't have to worry about it doing damage. It holds my 22C good. It usually sits on the floor for lack of a better place.

Yep - I had that same anchor up until the day I tossed it overboard with the dock line attached instead of the anchor line :confused:

Marlin275
09-21-2005, 12:01 PM
Marlin275, I have a quck question for you. Do you have a big block in a 16 or 18 foot boat in the picture, or is it a 22? It just seems like it is sitting awfully low in the water in the stern. Like the the thru hull exhaust is taking on water. I have been seeing the picture many times, and each time I want to say something. I finally gave in and am writing to find out.
I jus gotta kno :wavey: TheFees
http://www.donzi.net/photos/gabeler2223.jpg

My X-18 has a 350SBC
I think you are seeing the camera angle distortion?
From that angle it looks like the Donzi sticker is in the water.

Seems to be fine in the water.
It's a lowrider!
http://www.donzi.net/photos/cgabeler288.jpg

TheFees
09-22-2005, 08:15 PM
My X-18 has a 350SBC
I think you are seeing the camera angle distortion?
From that angle it looks like the Donzi sticker is in the water.

Seems to be fine in the water.
It's a lowrider!
http://www.donzi.net/photos/cgabeler288.jpgThanks for the reply. Wow, beautiful boat, and great photo, the reflections off of the water, the color combination, I appreciate the follow up.