PDA

View Full Version : Resizing digital photos, .jpg

DonCig
09-05-2005, 07:12 AM
Here is a useful link to a free download from Microsoft that allows you to resize digital photos for posting to web sites like this.
A useful size is 800 x 600.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/digitalphotography/learnmore/tips/eschelman2.mspx

DonCig

tmdog
09-08-2005, 08:14 AM
I tried to download the Resizer and came up w/ error#1606. What does that mean and how to correct?

MOP
09-08-2005, 08:18 AM
Don a big thank you it is so simple and and done in an instant, saves a ton of time over Photo Shop!

Phil

txtaz
09-08-2005, 09:11 AM
I tried to download the Resizer and came up w/ error#1606. What does that mean and how to correct?
Check out http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb%3Ben-us%3B315352
Sounds like you are trying to save it to a network resource that is not available. Save the file to your hard drive.
Wes

Formula Jr
09-08-2005, 05:03 PM
This will only work with XP. :frown:

irfanview works well with Win 98, its free and will do batch resizing.:smash:

valorix
09-15-2005, 05:58 PM
Adobe Photoshop generally works best or Jasc Paintshop Pro. I have not tried the MS tool mentioned, but if you have Outlook or Outlook Express and are using MS Windows XP you can do a trick by selecting the photo(s) with your mouse, right clicking, then Send to-->Mail Recipient. You should then get a Send Mail popup box that asks you if you want all of them resized and you can click Show more options... to choose your size. Then, just send the email to yourself and they are all done in one whack.

synack
09-15-2005, 09:19 PM
Paint.NET will resize do that and a lot of other "fun stuff" usually only found in expensive (photoshop) style proggys. Best of all, it's FREE!

http://www.eecs.wsu.edu/paint.net/

TheFees
09-18-2005, 11:31 AM
I have Microsoft Photodraw, I have Adobe Photoshop CS2, I have Microsoft Picture It, but what do I use when I want to batch process photographs, sweet and simple... I use Photolightning. It is available at www.photolightning.com (http://www.photolightning.com/) and is available as a free download, as trialware. That means you are free to use the full version, without restrictions for 30 days, then either you buy it or stop using it. It is so easy and intuitive that if more people used it, Donzi. net would be full of pictures. We like pictures. :smileybo: :rlol:
On to what it does; you can take a lot of photographs with a digital camera, (or take your film prints, into many of the Kinkos for example, and for only a couple of dollars they have a self serve machine that will scan, convert, and put them on a CD for you. Of course, if you have a scanner, you can scan them yourself)
Once you have your pictures on a CD, or in a folder on your hard drive, or still on your cameras memory card attached to your computer, you can open the pictures in Photolightning,.
Open all of them. That way down the left side of the screen all pictures are available for viewing. The open all button, automatically does that. Then by clicking on the thumbnail of each one, you can see it full sized, and determine whether you want to use each one or not. The ones you want to use, just check off the box next to it. By the way, you can batch process with this software so if you want to do 10, 20, or 5 at a time, no problem.
After selecting your favorites, you go to the next step, by clicking a large icon on the top, that allows you to rename each photo. Give it a name like "CompletelyAirborne" or "CheckThisOut"
Then you click the next button on the top and it takes you to a window with a whole lot of choices on the right side. For example you can resize them all to a smaller file size without reducing how large the photo is, or you can recrop them to remove unwanted background, and fill your subject in the screen (it is the easiest recropping tool out there), or you can make them ready for ebay, and the list goes on.
If you fall in love with the software it is available at any time after the download for about $29. I bought it after using it for the second day. I knew I wanted to have it available for batch processing. The new Photoshop CS2 has batch processing, but I am not making these ready for the front cover of Cosmopolitan magazine.
Photoshop has a radical learning curve. I have been computing since 1985, and without a book, I couldn't get some text on the page, let alone resize a photograph. Like anything else, once you learn it, you say, oh that is easy, but the program keeps going deeper and deeper. I'm not knocking Photoshop. It is the defacto standard for professional results, without limitations. You could remove someone sitting in the boat and replace it with someone else if you wanted to. Removing objects isn't hard, but it takes a lot of time. Their isn't anything you can't do with it, except provide people with an inexpensive way to easily do what most people want to do; get their photos up on Donzi.net etc.
Check out Photolightning, I was surprised at how easy it was to use, and how well it did the job. It works on Windows 98, ME, 2000, and XP.