PDA

View Full Version : Trim and tabs and overheating...

synack
09-04-2005, 11:17 PM
I normally have my drive trimmed up about 1/4 while I'm in motion on my 22ZX. If I run with the drive up 1/4 and I put down the tabs so that the bow is nice and low, my temp guage starts climbing out of normal operating range and will eventually sound the alarm if I am not paying attention.

Could I possibly be trimming my drive's water pickups out of the water? If I drop off plane and idle, the temp will start dropping almost right away.

Is this behavior normal?

MOP
09-04-2005, 11:25 PM
How close are your tabs to your drive, on a few occasions we had to trim the inner sides of tabs, similar to the K Plane angle cut. Two things were happening over heating and airing out the prop when the tabs were down making the boats hard to plane, it seems that the tabs were aerating the water flow. On a raw water cooled engines the air will slowly collect in the heads and cause over heating, does not seem to happen on closed cooling setups.

Phil

synack
09-05-2005, 12:45 AM
Attached is a pic of the tab placement. I am assuming that this is the factory positioning.

The hydrofoil pictured is not on the boat. Also, I have a mirage plus prop on there now instead of the bravo in the picture.

How close are your tabs to your drive, on a few occasions we had to trim the inner sides of tabs, similar to the K Plane angle cut. Two things were happening over heating and airing out the prop when the tabs were down making the boats hard to plane, it seems that the tabs were aerating the water flow. On a raw water cooled engines the air will slowly collect in the heads and cause over heating, does not seem to happen on closed cooling setups.

Phil

MOP
09-05-2005, 01:21 AM
Plenty of room no sweat on the tabs, when was the last the pump had an impeller? Also you may have sucked some debris in and it is sitting in the oil cooler restricting flow.

Phil

synack
09-05-2005, 11:32 AM
The impeller was replaced back in late March. It's very possible that there might be an obstruction somewhere. How do you go about flushing the system?

Donzigo
09-06-2005, 12:14 AM
Disconnect the hoses to the trans cooler and back flush. Your obstruction is probably there.

synack
09-18-2005, 11:38 PM
Disconnect the hoses to the trans cooler and back flush. Your obstruction is probably there.

I pulled everything from the seawater pump all the way to the thermostat. The attached pic is what I found in the oil cooler. Those are all on a 8.5x11 sheet of paper for reference. It looks like the marina that replaced the blown impeller last time seems to have done a "fantastic" job of flushing the system! :angryfire

That stuff was just totally jam packed into the cooler and took quite a while to pull out. I dunno how I even managed to run an entire summer without daily temp problems. I estimate that I had maybe 30% flow through there at best.

martiniboat
09-19-2005, 08:21 AM
I pulled everything from the seawater pump all the way to the thermostat. The attached pic is what I found in the oil cooler. Those are all on a 8.5x11 sheet of paper for reference. It looks like the marina that replaced the blown impeller last time seems to have done a "fantastic" job of flushing the system! :angryfire

That stuff was just totally jam packed into the cooler and took quite a while to pull out. I dunno how I even managed to run an entire summer without daily temp problems. I estimate that I had maybe 30% flow through there at best.

:eek: :eek: :eek:

Trueser
09-19-2005, 09:48 AM
Rob,
Thats great. Lets hook it up and bring it to

TEXAS............................................. .........................................

Or see if you can put the pieces to that puzzle back together.