PDA

View Full Version : Engine won't crack intermittantly

synack
09-04-2005, 11:05 PM
Twice today I encountered a situation when I couldn't get the engine to crank/start. I would turn the key one notch to run and hear the alarm, etc. Then when I put it into start I get nothing whatsoever. No cranking, no clicking, or any sound whatsoever from the engine bay. In both situations, the battery/fuses/breakers were fine.

First time, I checked everything I could and then I messed with the kill switch and then it started.

2nd time, I assumed it may have been the kill switch so I cut the wires to the switch and spliced them together but that didn't seem to do much as it didn't start.

In both instances, it eventually cranked and started normally.

I'm starting to think I may have a bad ignition switch. Anything else you guys might recommend that I consider?

MOP
09-05-2005, 12:18 AM
You need a "VOM" volt ohm meter, with it you can find most electrical problems fairly quick, grab one at Radio Shack cheap one will work fine. Just follow the instructions that come with it, you will be surprised how easy it to use.
First thing to check before you get into the electrical checks is the tightness of the main ground and positive wires both at the battery and where they attach to the block and solenoids, any cruddy connection must be cleaned. Then with the meter check to see if the key switch is passing current to the starter assist solenoid and then on to the starter, if all seem to be passing current when actuated then it is the starter or its solenoid that is going bad. It is a very simple circuit but carries the most current so anything in the path that passes the current to the starter must be in good shape.

Phil

DonziJon
09-05-2005, 03:09 PM
Twice today I encountered a situation when I couldn't get the engine to crank/start. I would turn the key one notch to run and hear the alarm, etc. Then when I put it into start I get nothing whatsoever. No cranking, no clicking, or any sound whatsoever from the engine bay. In both situations, the battery/fuses/breakers were fine.

First time, I checked everything I could and then I messed with the kill switch and then it started.

2nd time, I assumed it may have been the kill switch so I cut the wires to the switch and spliced them together but that didn't seem to do much as it didn't start.

In both instances, it eventually cranked and started normally.

I'm starting to think I may have a bad ignition switch. Anything else you guys might recommend that I consider?

I have been living with this interment "Starts, No Start" situation for a couple of years. After a few trys with the key starter it always starts. The symptom is just like a poor battery cable connection at the battery. Apparently this Board addressed this problem some time ago and the solution was to replace the "SLAVE" Solenoid which is mounted on the front right of the engine (350) just ahead of the valve cover, under a little cheezy black plastic cover. A friend of mine had this problem in his 18 and replaced the "Slave" Solenoid and the problem went away. I just finished cleaning the terminals on this solenoid yesterday as a first step.