PDA

View Full Version : Polished Lower Units

DonCig
09-04-2005, 07:48 PM
I removed the paint and primer from my lower unit last week and sanded it with 320 grit automotive sandpaper. After boating yesterday I remembered a trick that I picked up from Excel Motorcycles at Sturgis a year ago. Excel uses a satin finish on the aluminum components on their custom Harley Motorcycles. To achive this finish just spray WD-40 on the case and then go to work with some 3M scotch brite pads. It did not take over 30 minutes for me to go to the following finish. I would highly reccomend this treatment on all unpainted lower units. I used the 3M Metal pad that I bought from the hardware store.
The top photo is the after photo.
The bottom photo is the before photo, with the 320 grit sandpaper finish.

DonCig

txtaz
09-04-2005, 07:55 PM
Show off...Now get to painting that garage. :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:
Anonymous
PS, Looks good. Bring your sandpaper to PK and you can do mine.

Pismo
09-04-2005, 08:01 PM
So the only finish on is WD-40? I hope no saltwater. Please correct me if wrong.

DonCig
09-04-2005, 08:05 PM
Last time I checked, there was no saltwater in Colorado.

Just teasing.

DonCig

MOP
09-04-2005, 09:59 PM
You guys would be surprised with a little care an un painted lower does just fine around salt. Wash it well mine is painted I do, dry it and shot a light coat of any of the handy oil sprays, wipe it off before you launch. Some guys coat them with wax, not any worse then taking care of the rest of your toy. If it does get smokey looking they clean up pretty quick with a Scotch pad.

Phil