PDA

View Full Version : wakeboard vs. ski: what's a 22 classic better for?

zimm17
09-04-2005, 02:48 PM
This is an odd question, but I'm very new at both skiing and wakeboarding. I'm ready to get a tow toy for my 22 classic. I can go either direction- but I'm wondering what's the classic better at pulling? I'd hate to get a wakeboard and find out I can't go slow enough for it, or get a nice waterski and finding the wake is too big. Any suggestions?

MOP
09-04-2005, 04:15 PM
This is an odd question, but I'm very new at both skiing and wakeboarding. I'm ready to get a tow toy for my 22 classic. I can go either direction- but I'm wondering what's the classic better at pulling? I'd hate to get a wakeboard and find out I can't go slow enough for it, or get a nice waterski and finding the wake is too big. Any suggestions?

My opion I would not run any I/O at the speed required for wake boarding, the greatest load on the drive assy is getting over the hump onto plane. Holding it at that speed to wake board puts just to much load on for to long a period.

Phil

RedDog
09-04-2005, 04:30 PM
I've pulled both but it really is crappy for both. If you drop your tabs all the way - no problem going slow enough for a wakeboard. The wake isn't very good for either.

Now for tubing, you can't beat the 22. You can get pretty evil ...

zimm17
09-04-2005, 08:28 PM
Cool, maybe a pair of tubes is what I need then. Any recommendations?

Marlin275
09-04-2005, 09:30 PM
My opion I would not run any I/O at the speed required for wake boarding, the greatest load on the drive assy is getting over the hump onto plane. Holding it at that speed to wake board puts just to much load on for to long a period.

Phil

Yeah, I've had my engine at that speed 2000 - 2200 RPMs
Engine starts to run hot and has a sick sound,
as soon as the boat starts to plane off they say it's too fast?
Worst speed for the boat, terrible gas mileage, huge wake.
Mastercraft makes a flat bottom boat that does that better!

Magicallbill
09-05-2005, 03:05 AM
There's not that much room to put ANYTHING on a classic.Add wakeboards,skis,etc.,and your pretty cramped.
There are specific boats out there for skiing&wakeboarding that would serve the purpose much better.

joseph m. hahnl
09-05-2005, 01:54 PM

i don't have a problem going that slow in my minx 20 mph at 2000 rpm
i tow my 9 yr old on skis at it .as far as the wake goes i'm thinking of adding another half line to the tow rope to get inbetween the break of the wake.

the major problem for sking is it's not that it's to fast. but that there is'nt any give in the boat when you cut back and forth.it just keeps chugging along, it really tires you out pretty quick. and the wake is hard to cut back over with the trailing foot."tends to trip you" again the longer rope to get in between the break should help.

tubing is the easiest of all but 25mph is recomended and in that picture i'm glad that's not my children. to many times have i seen the driver trying to hurt the the person in tow."we seem to think it's funny when some one gets hurt".last time i went sking i had a friend pull me around. he spent the entire time trying to dump me. with out success i might add. so it was 'nt any fun
and i never let him drive my boat again or for that matter went sking with him.

joe

Surfer
09-06-2005, 09:22 AM
Try a kneeboard, its alot eaisier than ski / wake, you can go faster to get over the hump, and the boats wake is just fine to get air. Allot more fun / challenging than a tube.

mattyboy
09-06-2005, 09:39 AM
have done ski/tube from the 16, I would think a 22 with tabs and the right length rope would be ok for beginner to novice wake boarder, yes space is limited a trip back to the dock to drop off the tube and pick up the skis seems to coincide with bathroom breaks ;) never seen the ski locker on a 22 the one on the 16 keeps the skis out of the way
with tubes the higher and deeper give more stable rides the lower flatter give the more exciting/harder rides,we use a one man airhead round tube the kids feel more in the tube not on the tube

wiltok
09-06-2005, 05:40 PM
I have been skiing since I was a teenager - in addition to my Sweet 16 I own a MasterCraft wakebaord boat (X-9). I have never pulled anything with my Donzi - but there are several on my lake that do. As others have indicated, wakebaording behind a I/O is difficult because you will generally need to maintain a speed right around 21 mph. THis is the point of plane - and it's a struggle with the throttle to maintain that speed. That being said - wakeboarding is a lot of fun, has a sharp learning curve, and you can do if the water is choppy (up to a point). If $$ is no object, invest in Perfect Pass - it's cruise control that automatically maintains a preset speed (or rpm). This can be retrofitted for a I/O, will cost about $1200, and is worth it's weight in gold. I have one on my MC - can't imagine not having it.

Personally, if you are open to either, skiing is a much better option. Maintaining the speed is easy, the boat has plenty of power and the wake is relatively small (easy to cross). Not only that, but a 22' boat will not be easy pulled around by the skier. I skied for years behind a old 16 foot I/O, and it was fine for recreational skiing.

As others have mentioned, kneeboarding is also fun. You will run into the same problem with holding the speed (around 20 mph), that is not a lot of pull so it's a little easier.

smoothie
09-06-2005, 08:08 PM
Buy one of these with a 150ft rope and have a blast,its a perfect beginner ski and it will look great sitting out in your 22.

http://www.maherajah.com/skis_fastback.html

DonziEd
09-14-2005, 12:50 PM
ROUGH WATER! :biggrin.:

TheFees
09-16-2005, 10:38 AM
I have a 1987 classic 18 350 mag. I tried both skiiing, and using an Obrien tube. The boat is just not built for it. With a speed prop, it is like taking off in fourth gear. Additionally with a deep vee hull, you create a lot of wake, which is no fun when you are trying to "clock" the back of the boat on skis. The wake is not only too large, it also has a crest on it, that is tougher to get through. When water skiing, the thrill is going from deep outside the boat, across the wake, then deep outside the other side. At the very least you can't lean through the chop, but rather have to stand up, and fight it; not fun. You could put a slower prop on the boat that is meant for towing, but then you defeat the purpose of the Donzi. My suggestion is to make friends with someone with a ski boat, then you go out with him to ski, and he goes out with you for the ultimate adrenalin rush. Donzi's rule, but not for skiing.

RickSE
09-16-2005, 12:09 PM
Ditto on the long rope. I use a 100' rope to get to a better part of the wake.

GEOO
09-16-2005, 03:12 PM
Not sure on a 22 but the 18 is good for both. Skiing would be good but the wake is a little big for fast cutting.http://www.donzi.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=4234
http://www.donzi.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=4235
http://www.donzi.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=4236