PDA

View Full Version : GREAT fun in a 65' Alum/Scarab with ASD10's

Lenny
09-04-2005, 01:08 PM
Deneen and I got invited to go out on a fellas' boat that had a number or spare "seats" and was needing to cover the fuel for a 7 hour run so we definately accepted the offer. The boat, (he has another) was an identical copy of his 38 Scarab. The table of offsets was increased in proportion to create a 65' version of the same hull. It looked really well done. All welded aluminum construction, and beefed waaaayyyy up (beyond Coast Guard requirements) to play in the open ocean areas here in the 60-65 mph range.

Anyways, we went downtown and climbed aboard.

Now, not much of this story is "spectatcular" but what was VERY cool was the pair of Arneson ASD10's and turbo diesels. (2)

I have a couple of pics to add. The ride was a blast, the ocean was flat unfortunately, but we went to two bars, drove from 6pm-2am and covered a lot of area.

There is something about that Rooster Tail that has given me "Arneson envy" and the sound of whining Diesels pushing this thing through the water at a consistent 60 really is something.

Anyways, that's what we did last night. :)

Cuda
09-04-2005, 04:13 PM
Ah, yes, I know the feeling. :)

Cool boat.

sanleonkid
09-05-2005, 07:18 PM
Any idea of the fuel it sucked down on the run?

Lenny
09-05-2005, 07:43 PM
Nope, (didn't ask) but he did say that is was as good or better than his 38 Scarab with Triple 250 OB's. And the twin Diesels combined had about 1500 BHP. We were running at 2700 rpms for most of the trip.

McGary911
09-06-2005, 12:10 PM
That thing looks pretty cool! did he comission the build himself, or is there someone out there selling these things? What would you say the beam is? Must have a monstrous cabin, huh?

Lenny
09-06-2005, 12:14 PM
That thing looks pretty cool! did he comission the build himself, or is there someone out there selling these things? What would you say the beam is? Must have a monstrous cabin, huh?

He commisioned the build himself. It is a one-off. Beam is about 10' I would say. There is NO cabin other than a head for people. It is an aluminum (hull inside) interior only and the Diesels and fuel tanks and drives.